Jump to content

I got my vaccine! Let’s go!


cl.klink
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, emmas gran said:

I got the NHS app after reading the post but mine isn't showing I wonder if its because we only had the first vaccine??

 

Like you, I got the App after reading the  post from JeanieC (Post 175). Jumped through all the hoops with video and passport etc. then was disappointed to see nothing relevant to the vaccine. I have only had the first jab too so possibly the reason nothing is shown. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, UnorigionalName said:

proof of negative test is such security theatre and is not very useful.  Hopefully it will go away quickly once vaccinations become more  available.

 

The tests are not designed to show that you don't have covid and are free to mingle.  The FDA and CDC explicitly state that the tests are not to be used in that role.

 

This false sense of security from negative tests to go out and party and travel is completely not backed by science and probably exacerbating the situation more than helping.

 

It's basically security theater, to alleviate anxiety by pretending there is some sense of control.

Unfortunately you are correct.  The tests will miss many people who are currently infected, especially those recently exposed who may not show positive yet.  It also will not account for what happens from the time you take the test to the time you board the ship - for many of us that time includes spending hours in an airport and on a plane, not to mention hotels the night before, restaurants, taxis, etc..  

Many tests also have a decent number of false positives.  How would someone like to miss a cruise because they got a false positive?   

 

Not necessarily a bad idea to require a test before boarding as an extra layer of protection, as long as everyone keeps in mind it is a layer of protection as porous as a net.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We got our second dose of Moderna on Tuesday night.  I had a mild headache yesterday, and both my husband and I have sore arms today, but that’s all.  It took both of us online for 9 1/2 hours to schedule the first dose.  Online appointments opened at 8:00 am, which is when we started trying — finally got our appointments at 5:30 pm.  The first took an hour and 15 minutes from the time we got in line at the convention center (drive-through injections) until we left after waiting 20 minutes in a parking lot.  We did get our appointment for the second dose when we got the first.  The second dose on Tuesday was a breeze.  In and out in 30 minutes (including the 20 minute wait time for potential reactions).  We are very happy to have our vaccines.

 

Unfortunately, my parents in Charleston SC (89 and 90 years old, one with cardiac disease and a heart valve and pacemaker, and the other with metastatic breast cancer) have not been able to get their first vaccination. My father has been contacted by the VA, but only to go to a clinic in North Charleston, which would require my brother to drive 45 minutes to pick him up, 45 minutes to North Charleston, 45 minutes to take him home, and 45 minutes to drive either back to work or to his home.  The only option for my mother is to stand in line at the hospital for hours with no place to sit down. They don’t venture out, except to the hospital for appointments, but the hospital can be a dangerous place to be. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Got our  second Moderna, shots yesterday. Dh  spent  today  under a  blanket  with chills and fever all day plus he had a terrible  headache, gen discomfort, muscle and joint pain

 General lethargy, and pain the the arm.

 

I have a, low fever  arm pain, tiredness and terrible joint pain.  That was unexpected.  We did so well with the 1st shot.

 

Hope we feel better soon..not sure we'd do this again next year or ever!  Not sure how crew could go through this  2 stage process and be fit to cruise  soon after.

 

Everyone is diff but  this was truly unpleasant..not to mention all the stress in getting our appt.

 

stilll have to get dbl Covid tests  so we can go to NY ( land of many  many  RULES)  for Grandson ,s 1st b day party in a few weeks.

 

Seeing him smile  will be worth it

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

What is clear at this point is that crew and passengers BOTH will have to be vaccinated in order to board a cruise ship going forward.

 

Between that and new procedures onboard...there will be a high level of avoidance for COVID.

 

It's also clear that between some European and other countries now pushing back until summer months for ship port dockings, as well as some countries requiring vaccination documentation even to enter from abroad - "normalcy" to cruising appears to be more in the Q4 2021 timeframe at the earliest.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

What is clear at this point is that crew and passengers BOTH will have to be vaccinated in order to board a cruise ship going forward.

 

Between that and new procedures onboard...there will be a high level of avoidance for COVID.

 

It's also clear that between some European and other countries now pushing back until summer months for ship port dockings, as well as some countries requiring vaccination documentation even to enter from abroad - "normalcy" to cruising appears to be more in the Q4 2021 timeframe at the earliest.

I just looked at the COVID-19 vaccination data for the World.   Israel has already vaccinated over 70% of the doses for their population.   The UAE is second, then the UK and USA.  The EU is lagging.  I expect that for vaccinations, the USA will have the bulk of our population (those 75-80% that want it) vaccinated by late Summer(the USA has already administered 50million doses).  Once Johnson and Johnson is approved the pace should even pick up.  Not sure about the EU, while I read they are gearing up to do better.  We have a TA cruise from Rome to Florida booked for October 23, 2021 and hopeful that the cruise will go on.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I received my 2nd dose yesterday. I had to sit for 15 minutes after. The whole process was about 25 minutes compared to 3.5 hours for the 1st dose. While walking back to my vehicle I started itching all over. I thought I would have to stop and get Benadryl but it totally stopped in 10 minutes. When I got home I had chills for a couple of hours. Today I have a sore arm but I’m fine. I’m in Texas. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, journeymore said:

I received my 2nd dose yesterday. I had to sit for 15 minutes after. The whole process was about 25 minutes compared to 3.5 hours for the 1st dose. While walking back to my vehicle I started itching all over. I thought I would have to stop and get Benadryl but it totally stopped in 10 minutes. When I got home I had chills for a couple of hours. Today I have a sore arm but I’m fine. I’m in Texas. 

 

Which vaccine did you get?   After I got the first shot, I was itching over my whole body.  I couldn't decide if it was the vaccine or if the air in the house was really dry.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/14/2021 at 6:01 AM, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

What is clear at this point is that crew and passengers BOTH will have to be vaccinated in order to board a cruise ship going forward.

 

Between that and new procedures onboard...there will be a high level of avoidance for COVID.

 

It's also clear that between some European and other countries now pushing back until summer months for ship port dockings, as well as some countries requiring vaccination documentation even to enter from abroad - "normalcy" to cruising appears to be more in the Q4 2021 timeframe at the earliest.

 

All true.

 

- Joel

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/11/2021 at 12:05 PM, laslomas said:

 

I wonder can you tell me which App it is that you have.

 

I have the NHS App and the NHS Covid-19 (Test and Trace) App. I cannot see my Covid-19 vaccination informationl. It is brilliant that it is shown in this way, so would love to find out how. Thanks 

Hi

The app is called Patient Access,,,,I think it’s a shared app through doctors practice.

The surgery will give you a code to register.

The Patient Access system uses information from the Summary Care Record if you have agreed that the GP can share this information with Patient Acceess. 

Edited by JeanieC,Aston
Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, JeanieC,Aston said:

Hi

The app is called Patient Access,,,,I think it’s a shared app through doctors practice.

The surgery will give you a code to register.

The Patient Access system uses information from the Summary Care Record if you have agreed that the GP can share this information with Patient Acceess. 

 

Thanks for the information. I found the Patient Access App and downloaded it, but cannot use it as I get this message "your practice does not currently support Patient Access" .My practice used an App called Airmid. I downloaded that - and it has no Covid vaccine information. I give up!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Remember too that that a lot in our population won't have to be vaccinated (like children and young adults).  

 

Most of the population has a very high survival rate for COVID so this is about protecting the small percentage that doesn't.  Once enough vaccines have been administered, we'll reach that level.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, MrCoachRentz said:

Remember too that that a lot in our population won't have to be vaccinated (like children and young adults).  

 

Most of the population has a very high survival rate for COVID so this is about protecting the small percentage that doesn't.  Once enough vaccines have been administered, we'll reach that level.

they are currently doing vaccine trials for children & teens at my trial center... so eventually they will get vaccinated for this...  there will be immunocompromised people in the population & it's important that everyone who can get vaccinated does.   There are theories floating that the new virulent strains may be connected to infected immunocompromised people.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, cruise kitty said:

There are theories floating that the new virulent strains may be connected to infected immunocompromised people.  

Do you have any more info or links to this?  Or just random people posting theories?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Do you have any more info or links to this?  Or just random people posting theories?

I read an article about that Teerick, from a credible medical source. Described the case of an immunocompromised person (don’t remember the cause of immunodeficiency), infected with Covid 7-8 months before death. Never cleared the virus. Multiple sequencing procedures, studied extensively and developed numerous variants over the course of illness. Thrust of the article was that the circulating  variants may have originated in immunocompromised persons (I doubt that) and that it was very important  for immunocompromised people to get vaccinated because even if they didn’t get all that sick, they could make dozens if not hundreds of variants. I’ll try to find a link, but it was last week, I think. More of a curiosity to me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, cangelmd said:

I read an article about that Teerick, from a credible medical source. Described the case of an immunocompromised person (don’t remember the cause of immunodeficiency), infected with Covid 7-8 months before death. Never cleared the virus. Multiple sequencing procedures, studied extensively and developed numerous variants over the course of illness. Thrust of the article was that the circulating  variants may have originated in immunocompromised persons (I doubt that) and that it was very important  for immunocompromised people to get vaccinated because even if they didn’t get all that sick, they could make dozens if not hundreds of variants. I’ll try to find a link, but it was last week, I think. More of a curiosity to me.

So a virus replicating for months in an immunocompromised host without causing severe COVID or death?   And spewing out variant viruses to unsuspecting people in contact with that person, even if the person had COVID symptoms?   Never say never but it seems strange to me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Do you have any more info or links to this?  Or just random people posting theories?

 only a hypothesis at this time, but there a quite a few other articles with this theory:

 

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/covid-new-variant-coronavirus-uk-latest-b1787388.html

 

I believe the general idea is that a person taking immuno suppressants can carry the virus for so long that it will allow for many multiple mutations in that one person, sort of a testing ground for the virus... interesting, & obviously lots of research to be done to prove or disprove 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, TeeRick said:

So a virus replicating for months in an immunocompromised host without causing severe COVID or death?   And spewing out variant viruses to unsuspecting people in contact with that person, even if the person had COVID symptoms?   Never say never but it seems strange to me.

No, no. The patient was ill and eventually died of Covid, but the course sounded like he was in and out of icu, but not completely well - let me see if I can find the reference.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc2031364
 

Original letter was in NEJM no less, and I think every MD in Boston was involved in his care. The speculation about the implications of this patient are coming from William Haseltine.

Seems to me much more likely that variants in the community are arising from community spread, but it does underscore the need to get vaccinations going.

Notice too that the original letter was published in November 2020, before variants really hit the press.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, cangelmd said:

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc2031364
 

Original letter was in NEJM no less, and I think every MD in Boston was involved in his care. The speculation about the implications of this patient are coming from William Haseltine.

Seems to me much more likely that variants in the community are arising from community spread, but it does underscore the need to get vaccinations going.

Notice too that the original letter was published in November 2020, before variants really hit the press.

Thank you!  Bill Haseltine definitely somebody to respect.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...