[THREAD] Tracking Princess ship movements and restarts (Winter 2020 onwards)

Yep @Ombud, all ships expected to arrive in San Pedro have already arrived and are now chilling on the Pacific just west of Ensenada/Tijuana. The Coral has also already made her trip to Port Everglades from Curacao several days ago. 

Here is the current look at where the ships are: (22:24 GMT -- January 2, 2021)

image.png.a8085790e17138b5aba9c8fe1220ad63.png 

And this ship soup in the middle of the Atlantic, just surrounded by the Bahamas (very similar how they waited in March 2020 just after the shutdown)

image.thumb.png.4021fa9fb588e4be95086930832c0735.png

If anyone has details they think are credible (from crew or company sources) and that they would like to share, that would be wonderful! It doesn't have to be about cruise resumption; it can be things about what they're doing onboard the ships that indicates changes, such as redesigning something or adding something. Or even exclusive Medallion details! That would liven up this thread lol

Posted (edited)

Dirk Brand has just reported that Enchanted Princess is leaving Trieste and heading to Malta and Cyprus.  Marine Traffic says she is due to arrive in Valletta on January 11th 2021 08:00 LT (UTC +1)

Edited by dides
On 1/7/2021 at 8:41 PM, dides said:

Dirk Brand has just reported that Enchanted Princess is leaving Trieste and heading to Malta and Cyprus.  Marine Traffic says she is due to arrive in Valletta on January 11th 2021 08:00 LT (UTC +1)

Here's pictures from her webcam as Enchanted Princess arrives in Valletta - I believe that is MSC Splendida in the berth on her left.

enchval-1.JPG.d441bca85dc9df9668cfe58a0f69795c.JPG

ench-val-2.JPG.6e25bdc634315f3df657cdd89e26a438.JPG

ench-val5.JPG.ed692645ff7044823bfc5ad652a4647f.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

After some dry dock work in Valletta Malta , Enchanted Princess is on a stopover in Augusta, Italy and is due to head to Limassol, Cyprus to join Sky Princess and Regal Princess.

image.png.337fe71a678349f4051d6762dba53e64.png

Photo: Dirk Brand

image.png.76caa733cab1ebf07ba99575e1d38d83.png

Edited by dides

Per this article, Sapphire entered dry dock in Singapore (and if you followed any of the ship tracking maps, you would've noticed). However, as of now, it has already left and is instead, anchored near Singapore. I'm also not entirely convinced they really made all of the changes they were originally slated to make in April 2020, which includes a massive capacity increase as per this document. I do know for certain that since Princess promised to make all of its fleet Medallion-ized by the time operations resumed, then this was the time to get it done for Sapphire. 

Crown also entered wet dock at around the same time Sapphire did (they were right next to each other by the docks), and per the Captain onboard, routine technical maintenance was performed. I don't think any "soft" stuff was really done, since the ship was already comparably modernized, relatively speaking (already had Medallion, for example). But I'm positive if Princess had more money, they probably would have made more dramatic changes -- for instance, I read that the Adagio Lounge was supposed to be transformed into a suite lounge but I'm pretty sure an operation like this was postponed to lower costs.

7 minutes ago, snoozecrooze said:

Crown also entered wet dock at around the same time Sapphire did (they were right next to each other by the docks), and per the Captain onboard, routine technical maintenance was performed. I don't think any "soft" stuff was really done, since the ship was already comparably modernized, relatively speaking (already had Medallion, for example). But I'm positive if Princess had more money, they probably would have made more dramatic changes -- for instance, I read that the Adagio Lounge was supposed to be transformed into a suite lounge but I'm pretty sure an operation like this was postponed to lower costs.

Captain Tony Ruggero also reported that Crown has just got a new bow thruster motor and worked with the team from Jeumont Electric to refit the propulsion system.

I guess one good outcome from this worldwide pandemic;  all the cruise ships should be in top condition when they start sailing again.

1 minute ago, AF-1 said:

I guess one good outcome from this worldwide pandemic;  all the cruise ships should be in top condition when they start sailing again.

Not sure if that is the case. The paintwork on some of those anchored off the UK is looking very shabby. 

wowzz,  I don't know about paint jobs;  I was more referring to mechanical and electrical;  meaning all the cruise lines have had plenty of time to get the ships fixed with mechanical issues.  Cosmetic issues happen all the time; and most likely when they get the go ahead signal to sail the paint jobs could be spruced up.  Have a nice weekend

11 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

wowzz,  I don't know about paint jobs;  I was more referring to mechanical and electrical;  meaning all the cruise lines have had plenty of time to get the ships fixed with mechanical issues.  Cosmetic issues happen all the time; and most likely when they get the go ahead signal to sail the paint jobs could be spruced up.  Have a nice weekend

Fair point. Obviously the ships at anchor only go to port occasionally, so there is little time to do exterior hull painting.

very interesting information here. I am amazed by the pictures and information that people are able to get and post. Maybe someone can shed a some light on this question that I have? It is very interesting to see the movement of the ships and the meanander close to their home ports, that's a good sign and is a logical first step to return to getting back to accepting passengers. I would assume that those ships have minimal crews on board for essential operations only. so the question is: Is it possible to see he movement of personal onto the ships, as in contacts offered and actual movement of people. If we see the movement of crew than we would assume the return to cruising would be very near. Also , how long does it take to organize crew , move crew and then order and stock full provisions for a fleet of ships? Any insight 

charlie murphy -

What it takes to re-crew these ships that are near the USA depends on a number of factors:

a) What quarantine requirements will there be, both before leaving home countries for the ship and after arriving at the ship?

b) When will flights from the home countries be allowed to arrive in the USA? Are commercial flights possible or will charter flights be needed.

c) When will the USA allow residents of the home countries to enter the USA on their way to the ship?

d) Will the full crew be required for the test cruises that the CDC is requiring?

e) The test cruises and then CDC approval will be necessary before normal cruising can resume. At what point in time will Princess be reasonably certain cruising will be allowed from the USA so they can back calculate (with the above questions to be answered) how soon to start re-crewing?

We need to remember that last year when it was necessary to return all of the crew to their home countries Princess (and other cruise lines) chose to do this by using the ships to sail to the main home countries. Having gathered the ships near the USA, the option to re-crew while near the home countries is now out the window.

thanks for the reply, some good points. I am  just curious as to how long it takes, once these things you mention come online, for a ship and crew to come up to speed to allow taking on passengers  ( so many moving parts needed for the ships operation - dock staff to bridge staff, hospitality staff to security) . If, as we all are, are wondering when the cruise industry will be back then looking at something like staffing would be a good indicator of the direction and time line to cruising again. for example the entertains, even if familiar with the productions would take some time to learn the program. I am sure that some of the prior staff may not be back having to take other employment to make ends meet during this pandemic, which would mean training fresh staff.  Likely fresh staff along all service lines. thinking through this gives me an appreciation  for just how much goes on ( and i am sure i can't comprehend the full extent)  to make my vacation possible --   hope I ( we all ) get one this year!   

On 1/25/2021 at 9:46 PM, charlie murphy said:

thanks for the reply, some good points. I am  just curious as to how long it takes, once these things you mention come online, for a ship and crew to come up to speed to allow taking on passengers  ( so many moving parts needed for the ships operation - dock staff to bridge staff, hospitality staff to security) . If, as we all are, are wondering when the cruise industry will be back then looking at something like staffing would be a good indicator of the direction and time line to cruising again. for example the entertains, even if familiar with the productions would take some time to learn the program. I am sure that some of the prior staff may not be back having to take other employment to make ends meet during this pandemic, which would mean training fresh staff.  Likely fresh staff along all service lines. thinking through this gives me an appreciation  for just how much goes on ( and i am sure i can't comprehend the full extent)  to make my vacation possible --   hope I ( we all ) get one this year!   

Hi Charlie, 

I totally agree that looking at staffing info, if we find any, can actually be a very good gauge of what we can expect when it comes to service resumption. So here I am to discuss it!

First, the good news:

image.thumb.png.cc915a2965858072bf5f7c1a5368f916.png

This was posted by a real cruise director at Princess who works on the Asian voyages. I think the Taiwan cruises this summer had the highest likelihood of happening anyways, since Dream Cruises has been cruising around Taiwan for some time now, without much news. So, I think we can have confidence Taiwan sailings will probably be happening. 

As for the global outlook, here's the bad news:

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/24269-norwegian-cruise-line-to-repatriate-all-non-essential-crew.html

Norwegian made a herculean effort to try and bring aboard cruise members from around the world back to their American homebases (originally on the Escape/Joy, I believe, but that didn't really end up successfully). So for the company to announce that all non-essential crew are being sent back home on its ships, it means the company is definitely not looking to resume operations any time soon, since, as you alluded to, bringing staff back takes a lot of time, as does training them with all of the new procedures. So even though this announcement is NCL-specific, call me a pessimist, but I'm not convinced cruising from America will be returning any time soon.