Cruise ports

lenquixote66

How many US cruise ports have you said from and which is your favorite ?

We have cruised from 6 ports and Baltimore is our favorite when we are cruising to the Caribbean because we usually leave in December or January when it is very cold in NY and normally are able to wear shorts on the first sea day.

Our second favorite port to leave from is Bayonne because we can easily drive there.Even though we live in NY it is easier for us to go to NJ.

We've  only sailed out of the Florida ports, and San Juan.. If I'm going to the Caribbean, I want to start as close as possible to it. San Juan is head and shoulders above the others IMO. But if I had to pick one of the Florida ports, it would likely be Port Canaveral for it's proximity to WDW, where we stay either pre or post cruise.

Boston, Manhattan, Brooklyn, Bayonne, Baltimore, Norfolk, Fort Lauderdale,  Miami, San Juan, Houston/Galveston, San Diego, Los Angeles, Seattle -  

Manhattan is favorite for ease of access for me - but too few itineraries from there - San Juan, Seattle and San Diego are favorites for spending a few days pre- or post-cruise.

4 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Los Angeles, San Diego, Ft Lauderdale, Port Canaveral, Boston, Seward, so 6....

Don't have a particular favorite among those, some have better options - LA = local, easy to get to; San Diego = semi-local, easy access from public transportation; Port Canaveral = lots of Disney cruise options.

I had to think about this. We've only done about ten cruises over 20 years but I'm pretty sure only one departed from a US port -- FLL. We generally fly intl and embark from other countries. Our first cruise was a B2B 10 day Caribbean from FLL and that gave us our fill of the part of the world, thank you very much.

Specifically US ports....San Pedro, Fort Lauderdale, Miami, San Juan and New Jersey.

I of course love San Pedro as it's a quick one hour drive and looking forward to RCI possibly

returning to our coast.

• Like 1

San Francisco, MIami, Fort Lauderdale, Honolulu, Los Angeles, New York.  Favorite:  San Francisco (Home port).

We have cruised from: Rome, Istanbul, Athens, Southampton, Dover, Barcelona, Vince as well over the years.  

It also depend on cruiseline and cabincategory. We have embarked in Miami when cruising in NCLs Haven and that was not special at all. It was a very nice experience to embark in Miami when we should cruise in MSCs Yacht Club.

MSCs check in/waiting area before boarding is much nicer and they serve sparkling wine and other drinks.  

Manhattan is our favorite port to sail out of.  Not because it's a little more than a 1/2 ride to the ship, but because backing out of the berth and sailing down the Hudson with the Manhattan skyline on the left and then the Statue of Liberty on the right, going under the Verrazano bridge and then out to the open sea.....very special!

Edited by marco

On 12/17/2020 at 1:16 PM, ontheweb said:

NYC, Fort Lauderdale, Seattle, Boston, and San Juan. That's 5.

We have also sailed out of Barcelona, Copenhagen, and Rome, but those are not US ports.

I accidentally left out Dover, England as a foreign port.

As for favorite, NYC as I do not have to fly and the passby of the Statue of Liberty is awesome.

4 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Foreign ports: Barcelona, Quebec, Istanbul, Rome, Venice, Southampton, Harwich ...

We've done several foreign ports too....and just like you Quebec and Harwich also.

On 12/17/2020 at 8:59 AM, lenquixote66 said:

We have cruised from 6 ports and Baltimore is our favorite when we are cruising to the Caribbean because we usually leave in December or January when it is very cold in NY and normally are able to wear shorts on the first sea day.

Our second favorite port to leave from is Bayonne because we can easily drive there.Even though we live in NY it is easier for us to go to NJ.

Fort Lauderdale is my favorite logistically.....for ease of getting to/from, and nice, large terminals.   However, as a destination embarkation port, my favorite so far has been Seward.  

We have sailed out of Miami, Fort Lauderdale, Tampa, Charleston, Boston, Seward, San Juan, and St Thomas in the US. Either Seward or St. Thomas is probably the favorite.

We've also sailed out of Vancouver, Quebec City, Bridgetown, Venice, Dubrovnik, Athens, and Istanbul.

Edited by zqvol

Let's see: MIA, FLL, TAM, HOU, NOLA, and the best of all, NYC.

There is nothing like cruising down the Hudson facing the NY skyline as the Chrysler and Empire State Bldgs punctuate the view.  Then there's our Lady of the Harbor and the Freedom Tower where you can  feel the soul and pulse of our nation.

Going further back in history, one can marvel how this waterway was carved out by a glacier some 10 to 12 thousand years ago. IMO, no other departure can match what a Hudson River sailaway can offer.

• Like 1

I have to fly into any departure port.  [OK, I could cruise out of Charleston, but never have.]

San Diego, LA, San Francisco, Seattle, Whittier, Seward, FLL, Miami, Canaveral, Tampa, NYC (Brooklyn & Manhattan), San Juan, Honolulu and numerous foreign ports.

NYC is my favorite (for the skyline & Statue of Liberty), followed closely by either Alaska port.