New Fine Print?

HicksRA

CDC has not said what the threshold of covid positive cases would be to make a ship terminate and return to port, but we all saw that it took only one person on the Quantum sailing out of Singapore for everyone to be quarantined in cabin and ship return to dock.    Thank god it ended up being a false positive.

I believe MSC sailings in Europe had a threshold of 10 covid positive people before they terminate the sailing.   If they had 1 or 2 positives those people got dropped off at next port for medical attention and/or quarantine.      Plus anyone that had close contact.   That happened at least twice in October.    But the ECDC does not seem to be as strict as the US CDC, from what I hear.

3 hours ago, mek said:

Well, I'm not sure any TA's will be happening until this is under control.  My understanding is nothing longer than 7 days until 11/1/21.

Correct me if I'm wrong about that.

I am just using the Anthem of the seas TA as an example. But I don't see ships turning back to the point of origin if that point of origin is Bayonne or Manhattan. And at what point does a ship leave the jurisdiction of the CDC and enter the jurisdiction of Foreign and Commonwealth Office if sailing into the UK or the Spanish or Dutch equivalent?

7 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

I agree to what they are saying but it's just another reason why I won't book a cruise until this has passed.

Me too .

I wont be cruising until all restrictions are lifted, could be a couple of years .

And thats ok with me. 

5 minutes ago, loman said:

Me too .

I wont be cruising until all restrictions are lifted, could be a couple of years .

And thats ok with me. 

And this is why I won't pay off cruises and then take FCC's. I don't know if conditions will be ok for me before the certificates expire. I don't want to feel obligated to cruise just so that I don't lose the funds.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, ace2542 said:

Horse poop! Are they going to turn for example the Anthem of the Seas around on it's TA crossing off the coast of Ireland one day from Southampton and sail it back to Bayonne NJ with insufficient fuel to reach New Jersey and have it stranded in the middle of the ocean? I don't think so.

They have a bunch of long oars on Deck 0, just in case.

WU70333_1.jpg

• Haha 3

12 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

As if another jurisdiction is going to let the ship dock, and disembark passengers; you really aren't too bright.

We don't know that won't happen. Some governments might put them straight into quarantine on land or send them back home on a nationality by nationality basis as perhaps should have been done with the Diamond Princess instead of leaving them onboard for weeks on end and allow cases to rise. Although I don't think you will ever the needed case on a number on a ship not if takes a number of days for infection to take hold and people are vaccinated and even tested before boarding.

14 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

CDC has not said what the threshold of covid positive cases would be to make a ship terminate and return to port, but we all saw that it took only one person on the Quantum sailing out of Singapore for everyone to be quarantined in cabin and ship return to dock.    Thank god it ended up being a false positive.

I believe MSC sailings in Europe had a threshold of 10 covid positive people before they terminate the sailing.   If they had 1 or 2 positives those people got dropped off at next port for medical attention and/or quarantine.      Plus anyone that had close contact.   That happened at least twice in October.    But the ECDC does not seem to be as strict as the US CDC, from what I hear.

I don’t think the CDC or many of us with family members (I have 2) working in healthcare directly with hospital exposure want positive cruisers who become patients dropped off in US Ports.  The CDC has mentioned this in each notice of NSO/CSO while the cruise lines continue to ignore. 

M8

39 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

I don’t think the CDC or many of us with family members (I have 2) working in healthcare directly with hospital exposure want positive cruisers who become patients dropped off in US Ports.  

What if cruisers were limited to Americans with proof of health insurance- what's the difference between such a cruiser and someone attending a superspreader event?

21 hours ago, ace2542 said:

Horse poop! Are they going to turn for example the Anthem of the Seas around on it's TA crossing off the coast of Ireland one day from Southampton and sail it back to Bayonne NJ with insufficient fuel to reach New Jersey and have it stranded in the middle of the ocean? I don't think so.

They always travel with a lot more food and fuel than they need.  But, they would be allowed to dock and refuel as there's little contact between the crew and the fueling team/barge.  They wouldn't be allowed to disembark passengers possibly, but they can refuel/restock.  Ships have been doing both this entire time.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ace2542 said:

We don't know that won't happen. Some governments might put them straight into quarantine on land or send them back home on a nationality by nationality basis as perhaps should have been done with the Diamond Princess instead of leaving them onboard for weeks on end and allow cases to rise. Although I don't think you will ever the needed case on a number on a ship not if takes a number of days for infection to take hold and people are vaccinated and even tested before boarding.

we DO know that won' happen; that is why these stipulations have made into the contact "fine print"

Edited by not-enough-cruising

1 hour ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

I don’t think the CDC or many of us with family members (I have 2) working in healthcare directly with hospital exposure want positive cruisers who become patients dropped off in US Ports.  The CDC has mentioned this in each notice of NSO/CSO while the cruise lines continue to ignore. 

M8

Very true.  Doesnt the CSO require cruiselines to set up agreements with medical facilities in the US?    That could all change once they actually start sailing with people who have been vaccinated.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Biker19 said:

What if cruisers were limited to Americans with proof of health insurance- what's the difference between such a cruiser and someone attending a superspreader event?

Superspreader events shouldn't be happening and they are hard to control. Here they have closed down bars and issued fines to those who sponsor the event. This has included large weddings that religious groups have had in the fall when we were starting to spike.  You have full control over the cruise industry by not allowing them to sail. Since every state is handling this differently superspreader events will happen. Since the majority of the cruises sail from Florida is their hospital system set up to handle an overload of covid patients even if they are all US residents?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

M8

Has your son been scheduled for a vaccine yet? DW was on a conference call yesterday. The goal is to have all of the hospital front line and staff vaccinated within the next 3 weeks.  That's a lot of vaccines since the hospital has multiple locations in NYC and Long Island. She said she can make an appointment for me and my son as soon as they start offering it to patients. They mentioned that NYC will get Pfister and Long Island will get Moderna. I'm just wondering what happens if we get the first shot and 3 weeks later they don't have enough supply for the second dose.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Nothing  I wouldn’t go to a super spreader event. The ones I’ve seen are mostly outdoors. A cruise ship is mostly indoors. 

M8

1 hour ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Very true.  Doesnt the CSO require cruiselines to set up agreements with medical facilities in the US?    That could all change once they actually start sailing with people who have been vaccinated.

It could change everything. I believe it was mentioned that “some” cruises would only return to port if 10? Cases were onboard. If less, I believe it was said they would drop them off at the next port. That’s was the issue I was addressing. 

M8

6 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Has your son been scheduled for a vaccine yet? DW was on a conference call yesterday. The goal is to have all of the hospital front line and staff vaccinated within the next 3 weeks.  That's a lot of vaccines since the hospital has multiple locations in NYC and Long Island. She said she can make an appointment for me and my son as soon as they start offering it to patients. They mentioned that NYC will get Pfister and Long Island will get Moderna. I'm just wondering what happens if we get the first shot and 3 weeks later they don't have enough supply for the second dose.

Last I talked to him a couple of days ago, he was off for a week as he was working Christmas and New Years. He said he would take it when offered. He works in ICU at Miami Jackson Memorial so I’m sure he will be on the list. 

The boss, works as a Consultant to 3 hospitals here. It looks like the employee staff are getting it first. I believe there is a way for her to request one but I suspect she will be at the end of the line behind the Doctors that are staff/employees. 

M8

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

And this is why I won't pay off cruises and then take FCC's. I don't know if conditions will be ok for me before the certificates expire. I don't want to feel obligated to cruise just so that I don't lose the funds.

Exactly , and i dont want to be chasing after cruise companies to get my money back. I am not going to give them any until i feel its safe for me to cruise without any restrictions.

3 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

From what I heard they are reserving everyones 2nd dose.  So if you got the first dose you are guaranteed to get your 2nd dose as it will be set aside for you.    

• Like 1

On 12/18/2020 at 11:34 AM, Iamcruzin said:

I agree to what they are saying but it's just another reason why I won't book a cruise until this has passed.

Thats cutting off your nose to spite your face...   Covid is here to stay. It is NOT going away.  Its just a fact.  It will be a part of our culture EVERYWHERE.  It will now be cold, Flu & covid season from now on.  The new text is just the cruise lines way of covering their own asses. 

We will a acclimate to this like every thing else we do.  We just have to accept and adapt to these changes.  If you wait, you will never cruise again.  LIVE your life. Things will get better. But the big companies will always sneak legalese into contracts to survive. 

Not RCI (yet) but if you haven't seen this, Cunard and P&O have some fine print on their invoices now with info about "Pre-existing medical requirements" that indicate that when they return to service they will not accept anyone who uses supplementary oxygen (including via oxygen concentrator), mechanical ventilatory support, or is on dialysis:

image.png

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, SeaHunt said:

Not RCI (yet) but if you haven't seen this, Cunard and P&O have some fine print on their invoices now with info about "Pre-existing medical requirements" that indicate that when they return to service they will not accept anyone who uses supplementary oxygen (including via oxygen concentrator), mechanical ventilatory support, or is on dialysis:

image.png

Not surprising.  Can someone that uses supplemental oxygen or mechanical ventilators support wear a mask?      If I had the need for any of those medical treatments I would not want to travel during a pandemic.  

6 hours ago, Iplayslots said:

Thats cutting off your nose to spite your face...   Covid is here to stay. It is NOT going away.  Its just a fact.  It will be a part of our culture EVERYWHERE.  It will now be cold, Flu & covid season from now on.  The new text is just the cruise lines way of covering their own asses. 

We will a acclimate to this like everything else we do.  We just have to accept and adapt to these changes.  If you wait, you will never cruise again.  LIVE your life. Things will get better. But the big companies will always sneak legalese into contracts to survive. 

First of all Covid isn't seasonal. It's a worldwide disease that has been going on for a year now.  If it is here to stay then the last place I want to be is on a cruise ship. I'm not a cruise diehard. I don't spend much time sitting on my balcony looking at the ocean. I can do that at home. We enjoy the food, entertainment and stopping at several ports of call.  I'm not signing up to wear a mask on the sun deck, ship sponsored excursions and the possibility of being quarantined or abruptly being returned to port mid trip. I will plan land vacations where I have my freedom to go where I want to 

• Like 1

On 12/18/2020 at 2:21 PM, twangster said:

On the Symphony crossing the Captain claimed they had enough fuel on board to reach America, turned around and get back to Barcelona with fuel to spare.

Don't know about Quantum class but I wouldn't be surprised if they had similar range. 

However that doesn't mean it's always wise to completely top it up and sail that way.  

Airlines don't fly full of fuel either, they take on exactly what is required plus a reserve amount as a buffer to reach alternate airports.

Sometimes they negotiate favorable rates at certain ports.  St. Croix had an oil refinery so perhaps it was a good price getting it from the refinery who was buying it in large bulk quantities from Venezuela or Libya. 

That must have ben awhile back.  The refinery was closed in 2012 and may have just restarted in the last few weeks.  I'm not sure that they will be producing fuel for cruise ships as one of their initial products.