WILL PRICES EVER COME DOWN?

2 hours ago, wrk2cruise said:

Apples and Oranges.

Why is that?  Lot of folks on here talk about comparing to Azamara or Regent, as far as "luxury" goes.  When I board a Celebrity ship I absolutely feel like I am going to sail on a luxury cruise.  The public spaces, the MDR's, specialty dining, Luminae, are all perfect to me and definitely meet my definition of luxury.  The on-board service experience is amazing and always feel very pampered.  I am fortunate that I can now kick it up a notch and book a suite, but folks I have met on board in Aqua, Concierge have all said how very happy they were.  I am not trying to change anyone's mind here, just simply stating if one has found something that checks all their boxes in a highly positive way, keep on keeping on.

1 minute ago, zitsky said:

Why not?

Because you are comparing apples (=X= AQ) to oranges (Regent suites).

And that doesn't even take into account inclusions on some Regent sailings, like Business Class airfare included. Free unlimited shore excursions on all sailings.  Free pre- or post- land programs. 

3 minutes ago, ECCruise said:

Because you are comparing apples (=X= AQ) to oranges (Regent suites).

And that doesn't even take into account inclusions on some Regent sailings, like Business Class airfare included. Free unlimited shore excursions on all sailings.  Free pre- or post- land programs. 

Even with all that included, Regent is still a premium.  And I am comparing balcony cabin to balcony cabin and suite to suite.

23 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Even with all that included, Regent is still a premium.  And I am comparing balcony cabin to balcony cabin and suite to suite.

Of course Regent is at a premium.  It is a much better cruise line.  Would not expect otherwise. Their cabins are, by definition, almost all suites.

40 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

When I board a Celebrity ship I absolutely feel like I am going to sail on a luxury cruise.  The public spaces, the MDR's, specialty dining, Luminae, are all perfect to me and definitely meet my definition of luxury.  The on-board service experience is amazing and always feel very pampered.  I am fortunate that I can now kick it up a notch and book a suite, but folks I have met on board in Aqua, Concierge have all said how very happy they were.  I am not trying to change anyone's mind here, just simply stating if one has found something that checks all their boxes in a highly positive way, keep on keeping on.

Someone who has never eaten a 28 day dry aged USDA prime cut of meat can think a hamburger steak is luxury. 🤣  You're who XX definitely likes.

11 minutes ago, ECCruise said:

Of course Regent is at a premium.  It is a much better cruise line.  Would not expect otherwise. Their cabins are, by definition, almost all suites.

I believe Regent even has a balcony "suite" but I'm not sure why they call it that. 

7 minutes ago, zitsky said:

I believe Regent even has a balcony "suite" but I'm not sure why they call it that. 

They do.  A "verandah suite."  Why do they call it that?  Because it sounds better, honestly. 

But it does include things like a marble bathroom, mini bar set up and refill, etc. You really can't compare it to a balcony on an =X= ship.

Actually Regent is 100% suites. The Seven Seas Splendor has 375 suites with the smallest one being 307SF. The second bottom suite category is up to 361SF.  Superior and Concierge suites are up to 464SF. Penthouse suites are up to 644SF. There are five larger suite categories.

On the Apex, Sky suites range from 254-362SF. Celebrity suites are 394-498SF. Signature suites  are 441SF. Royal Suites are 562-687SF.

So if you want to compare rates between XX and Regent, look at the appropriate sized comparable suite sizes.  Then for XX add Airfare, transfers, excursions at all the ports and all the specialty restaurants included to get a true price comparison.

Obviously Luxury cruise lines are not for people who like to book below suite categories on XX. Remember, some people are very happy on Carnival too. So book what you enjoy.

Edited by ChucktownSteve

We book suites , we had what I consider a good price for a April sky suite on edge,it was about 2600 a person for a 7 day cruise but that included 4 perks including premium drink package, unfortunately cruise was canceled.

4 hours ago, George C said:

We book suites , we had what I consider a good price for a April sky suite on edge,it was about 2600 a person for a 7 day cruise but that included 4 perks including premium drink package, unfortunately cruise was canceled.

What's that same cabin going for now in April '22? Isn't the lowest Sky suite going for about $3,912 pp? or $559pp/pd?

Edited by ChucktownSteve
4 hours ago, George C said:

We had an S3 for May 2020 on APEX 15 day TA, $9800 total for two including airfare. Of course was cancelled and we took the full refund.  Better and more expensive days are in our future.

18 hours ago, ChucktownSteve said:

Someone who has never eaten a 28 day dry aged USDA prime cut of meat can think a hamburger steak is luxury. 🤣  You're who XX definitely likes.

Hey I am one of the few who enjoyed the very very short-lived Top Deck Burger Bar on Celebrity Constellation.  Supposedly Kobe beef (but not really!).  For $10 bucks it was worth it to me anyway.  Versus the overcooked free burgers on the Mast Grill.😄

19 hours ago, George C said:

That was then; this is now.  We just booked three cruises in 2022 (we are optimists🙂), and lifted and shifted several others.  In each case, the 2022 cruises were significantly more expensive than the 2020 and 2021 cruises of the same length and general itinerary.  In most cases this meant 25% more.  When you are talking suite prices, that is significantly more $$.  I talked DH into booking a suite on one of the cruises as we have lost so much cruising-wise this year, but for the other two we took AQ, which we also love but it certainly doesn't compare to the suite life!

• 2 months later...

I've watched the prices go through the roof with Celebrity as well.  I haven't really looked at any other cruise lines.  We had 3 Alaskan cruises canceled and they were phenomenal deals - those days are done.  We have an 11 night booked in Alaska for next September - we reserved a CC and an S1 while trying to decide which to take.  We have never been in a suite - and thought if we were going to do it, we would do it in Alaska because we love it so much.....that being said, the pricing is crazy compared to what we had paid for the other cruises we never got to take.  I don't know if the pricing is worth the higher cost for the suite or not....something we will have to think about.

I did look at Regent for Alaska and their pricing was higher and the itinerary times were not as good as what Celebrity had so that was a no go.  

1 hour ago, vermonter16 said:

I did look at Regent for Alaska and their pricing was higher and the itinerary times were not as good as what Celebrity had so that was a no go.  

Too bad you missed their double category free upgrade that expired the end of February.  Regent raises their rates the beginning of every month.  Everyone's pricing is crazy now because of all the covid cancelled cruises eating up future inventory.

58 minutes ago, ChucktownSteve said:

Too bad you missed their double category free upgrade that expired the end of February.  Regent raises their rates the beginning of every month.  Everyone's pricing is crazy now because of all the covid cancelled cruises eating up future inventory.

Newbie to Cruise Critic, been having fun reading all the various topics and postings.  Also not an experienced cruiser, been on NCL 1x, Carnival 1x and Celebrity Summit and Apex 1x each , fell in love with the celerity ships and service on board and decided on of my vacations each year will be a cruise on Celebrity.  I have a 15 day transatlantic booked for April 2022 in S1 level suite, was supposed to have been last May.  Certainly was not cheap but I not feel outrageous, it is approx $3k more than the one I was booked on last year.  For you much more experienced cruisers, do you feel these new costs are crazy that you won't book yet?    

20 minutes ago, KWW88 said:

Newbie to Cruise Critic, been having fun reading all the various topics and postings.  Also not an experienced cruiser, been on NCL 1x, Carnival 1x and Celebrity Summit and Apex 1x each , fell in love with the celerity ships and service on board and decided on of my vacations each year will be a cruise on Celebrity.  I have a 15 day transatlantic booked for April 2022 in S1 level suite, was supposed to have been last May.  Certainly was not cheap but I not feel outrageous, it is approx $3k more than the one I was booked on last year.  For you much more experienced cruisers, do you feel these new costs are crazy that you won't book yet?    

and sorry, I obviously did not sail on Apex (yet) I was on Edge, had an Apex booked...

17 minutes ago, KWW88 said:

We booked an Edge S1 last June for a Jan '21 7 day Caribbean cruise which we lifted and shifted in November at protected pricing.  The Apex cruise, also 7 day, in Feb '22 is $5,481 more than we're paying which is also more than double the price.  Would you book it now?  I certainly wouldn't.  Actually I would have asked for a refund if they hadn't price protected based on the then current November pricing.

2 minutes ago, ChucktownSteve said:

We booked an Edge S1 last June for a Jan '21 7 day Caribbean cruise which we lifted and shifted in November at protected pricing.  The Apex cruise, also 7 day, in Feb '22 is $5,481 more than we're paying which is also more than double the price.  Would you book it now?  I certainly wouldn't.  Actually I would have asked for a refund if they hadn't price protected based on the then current November pricing.

The Apex  transatlantic I was to be on in May 2020, was $9,800, the April 2022 also on Apex is $13,035

I don't have an exact match.  I booked a canceled 7 day Caribbean cruise for $4000 in 2020.  The closest I can find in 2021 is $5600.  (St. Maarten)

How far down? The short answer is only if they have to, to fill the ships. With the massive debt they have racked up so far, and continue to do so, they have little choice. The cruise lines are like leeches, once they glom on to your money, they will not let go, no matter how much money they are making. As long as people keep paying, it'll never change.

I had booked a holiday 2020 cruise with Celebrity that was, of course, cancelled. I booked it well in advance, took advantage of a few price drops to rebook at lower fare, then watched the price soar prior to the announcement of Always Included, and prior to the cancellation of so many other cruises. If I were to guess, I suspect Celebrity had AI in the pipeline and was increasing prices well ahead of the AI announcement in order to obscure the real reason for the hikes.

With COVID cancellations and restrictions, I don't see prices coming down soon.

But I was (perhaps) fortunate enough to have a Galapagos cruise booked for Dec '21 (fingers crossed) to which I can apply my FCC. That should satisfy my cruise itch for a season.

And I have booked a Panama Canal Holiday cruise for '22.

So, yes, I think prices will comes down. Probably when capacity can be increased to better handle demand, and after some of the debt has been settled. I suspect this will not be soon, but my Dec '22 cruise might be far enough away to rebook at lower fares. (Celebrity has those nice double-point promotions that will make me think twice about rebooking. And that hinges on whether Captain's Club points are worth anything by then.)

And yes, I will be cruising before those lower prices come into play. But not in a suite or on E-class ships - we like Blu too much for that.