The Daily for Sunday Dec 20, 2020

4 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

It's kinda funny now.. it only took 20 years for me to get over it..

We lived in Montana. I ordered a 12 pound goose. Invited 3 other couples over for a white elephant gift swap and drinks. Prepared the goose and got it in the oven. We continued to have cocktails and share stories. I didn't set the timer and forgot how long the goose was in there. I stuck a temp indicator in the thigh and it hardly registered, so I turned up the heat and put the timer at an hour. By the time the timer dinged the goose was burning, fat was spilled all over the oven and smoking. When I pulled the goose out of the oven, the giblets I forgot to remove before cooking fell on the floor, still in a paper bag. There were so many gobs of fat in the goose and the breast was like beef jerky. We managed to get a bit of meat on a platter and all had a good laugh over it except me.

The first time I cooked a turkey, I followed the directions my parents had sent with one exception.  I could not find the giblets, which in those days were not put in a paper bag.  After cooking, when we cut into the turkey, we found the giblets in the cavity.  Although I thought the turkey was thawed, the giblets were still frozen in the bird when we put it in the oven.  All in all, the rest of the turkey was just fine and tasted good.  Now I double and triple check any bird to make sure it's thawed and I got all the giblets.

Lenda

Thanks to all for a lovely Sunday afternoon's read!  This group exchanges so many wonderful conversations and I am always learning!  I can keep up with part of the day.  Going to my step-daughter's for lasagna and she said they have a wonderful Chianti!  (She, her husband, and son are in my "bubble") so they include me in many family events, which I know my late husband would approve.  The bubble is quite "exclusive."

Mass was so wonderful today, and included messages of hope.  I think that is the theme for all of us living through this time.

Best wishes to all for a wonderful rest of the day.  Think I won't watch any games today--Air Force, Notre Dame, and Florida all lost when I watched those games yesterday!

Prayers to all in need, and a toast to those celebrating.

Good day and thanks all!  Loving the stories!  Our son cooked his first turkey last years thanksgiving.   Just had to wait an extra hour or two for it to be ready.  The timing is an art for sure,  I am blessed that DH loves to cook,  and does so well with lamb, duck etc.  His dad was a firefighter who was also a  Great chef and made wonderful roast goose that they had hunted themselves.  

Roy, my US cousins have recovered now,  thanks for everyone’s prayers. 

oh sangria and solstice!  The days will start getting longer!  We had a lovely walk by the river yesterday,  may be housebound the next couple with huge snowfalls predicted.  

570BBA0D-E1D0-4E47-97E1-5F6099980A45.jpeg

780799D2-2E1A-47A5-BA1F-8F4960F9BB55.jpeg

Good afternoon.  It is sunny with a light breeze this afternoon.  High is supposed to be about 67F, with the highs in the lower mid 70s tomorrow and Tuesday.  Then it's back to the lower 60s.  Will pass on the meal suggestion.  We're having lemon shrimp with rice, asparagus, salad and wine.

This morning we did a quick trip to the big box store in Parker to pickup a prescription for DH and a few last minute items.  Sunday morning is the time to go to avoid crowds, but the downside is the shelves are emptier.  Luckily, I got everything on my list, and of course, a few more items. 

I had been looking for a small boneless honey ham for Christmas or New Year's Day.  This year, all they have had were huge hams.  Finally, found an 81/2 pound one, which once warmed and served will be packaged in meal size portions and most will be frozen for later meals.  

This week  has been a 2020 week around here, but at least it turned out better than it could have.  First, we received notice that the water system for the neighborhood would be turned off from 9pm Thursday through 9 am Friday.  We made all the proper preparations -- put water in the bathtub, filled the coffee pot, and put water in the water bottles.  The good news is they replaced the leaky valve and we never lost water pressure.  The young man who is the on-site maintenance person made sure the storage tanks were full, so there was plenty of water for all.

Yesterday, we had two power failures in the area.  The first was a blip and the other was about 11 minutes.  Less than two hours after the second outage, DH noticed the refrigerator had gone out.  This happened once before, but we were able to reset it.  We tried the reset several times, but no luck.  While DH was researching solutions, I turned on the refrigerator in the motor home and packed all the frozen meat, veggies and ice cream in the coolers, since there was no room in the spare refrigerator.  

The good news is that DH rdered a new control board this summer, after we had to replace the one on the refrigerator in Whitney last year.  Once it was installed, the refrigerator is working just fine.  The control panels are supposed to have a surge protector in them and should reset within 10 minutes.  Out guess is that after 13 summers with power blips and outages, plus outages during the winter months, the surge protector just gave up the ghost.  To be on the safe side, which probably means it won't happen again, DH ordered another control board.

Once the freezer cooled down some, but it never got above 25F, all the food was loaded back in.  Nothing had even begun to thaw.  Now, for a while, my freezer is organized and the area behind and under the refrigerator is clean!

It is nice to be married to an engineer who is handy at fixing things around the house.  Usually, duck tape, WD-40 do the trick,  but once in a while you need a part.  

Lenda

I frequently  take  to  the  snow  versus  the  sidewalk  in  our  hilly  city  while  dog  walking. It is  challenging  not  to  encounter  ice  patches,even  where  things  look  clear. Maybe  the  Amazon  guy  had  a  bad  experience  a  few  stops  before.

1 hour ago, smitty34877 said:

I frequently  take  to  the  snow  versus  the  sidewalk  in  our  hilly  city  while  dog  walking. It is  challenging  not  to  encounter  ice  patches,even  where  things  look  clear. Maybe  the  Amazon  guy  had  a  bad  experience  a  few  stops  before.

Now that you say that, DH will often use the snow even heading down to the street from our house when dog walking.  Our driveway is clean but if there’s anything like a bit of water and a chance of black ice he uses the side of the yard.  Our house is on a hill and it’s pretty steep going up and down.  I usually use the driveway.  LOL.

One of the first Christmases my I invited my BF down and made fresh shrimp. I had just learned how to cook and peel them. Unfortunately, my garbage disposer wasn’t up to the task, and once full, came loose and plastered partially ground shrimp through out the cabinet.🤣

He fixed the disposer and helped me clean up. What a guy! He’s been my DH for the past 30 years.

We still laugh about it when ever we have shrimp.

Good evening! Thanks for the thread!

Today, we had a Zoom Carol service (Anglican churches are closed in Ontario) and we sang our hearts out. The cool thing on Zoom is, that while the priest and organist are singing, the rest of us are on mute. It's a good thing. At one point, one person wasn't, and the accompanying percussion was loud nose blowing. 😄
The quote is so true, but nobody remembers that when they are in the throes of worrying about what others think.

I thought that I would share the poem that is going around on Facebook today. In the meantime....Be well. Stay safe. Be kind. Wear a mask!

T'was 5 sleeps before Christmas, and all through the town,
people wore masks, that covered their frown.
The frown had begun way back in the spring
when a global pandemic changed everything.
They called it corona, but unlike the beer,
It didn’t bring good times, it didn’t bring cheer.
Airplanes were grounded, travel was banned.
Borders were closed across air, sea, and land.
As the world entered lockdown to flatten the curve,
the economy halted, and folks lost their nerve.
From March to July we rode the first wave,
people stayed home, they tried to behave.
When summer emerged the lockdown was lifted,
but away from caution, many folks drifted.
Now it’s December and cases are spiking,
wave two has arrived, much to our disliking.
It’s true that this year has had sadness a-plenty,
we’ll never forget the year 2020.
And just ‘round the corner - The holiday season,
but why be merry? Is there even one reason?
To decorate the house and put up the tree,
who will see it, no one but me.
But outside my window, the snow gently falls,
and I think to myself, let’s deck the halls!
So, I gather the ribbon, The garland, and bows,
as I play those old carols, my happiness grows.
Christmas is not canceled and neither is hope.
If we lean on each other, I know we can cope...
Keep it going!
Merry Christmas family and friends!!!!🌲🎉❤️

5 hours ago, dfish said:

Be careful!   That's how mine broke and it all had to be replaced.   I have vowed to never clean the oven again.   I can't afford to keep buying new stoves.  

What a wonderful reason not to clean the oven!  I have already adopted it.😄

From my first post on this thread:

12 hours ago, rafinmd said:

, and more on the other day later. 

My neighborhood has for many years joined together for Caroling on or around Go Caroling Day.  Of course it is not possible this year.  A few days a notice popped up on our mail kiosk:

DSCF8460.thumb.JPG.916eca1d42e01e12c76cacd7ecaf1089.JPG

You probably can't read it but it asked everybody to stand out on the sidewalk at 6:37PM, socially distanced with masks, and ring bells.  I couldn't find any bells (I may have some somewhere) but as a last resort I was prepared to go out with a wine glass and knife, but it turned out not to be necessary as I took an old laptop our for a selection I had found:

It will not become an annual tradition as I only saw one other party on the street but it was a good idea anyway.

Roy

5 hours ago, rafinmd said:

I wonder; in these conditions a very minimal bit of water can turn into black ice.  If in doubt at all I would rather walk over some snow that gives me a bit of traction than have a major fall on what I think is clear pavement.

Roy

That's what I was thinking too, Roy. Better the snow than an uncertain sidewalk. Of course I would NOT be anywhere near snow - these days.

39 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

From my first post on this thread:

My neighborhood has for many years joined together for Caroling on or around Go Caroling Day.  Of course it is not possible this year.  A few days a notice popped up on our mail kiosk:

DSCF8460.thumb.JPG.916eca1d42e01e12c76cacd7ecaf1089.JPG

You probably can't read it but it asked everybody to stand out on the sidewalk at 6:37PM, socially distanced with masks, and ring bells.  I couldn't find any bells (I may have some somewhere) but as a last resort I was prepared to go out with a wine glass and knife, but it turned out not to be necessary as I took an old laptop our for a selection I had found:

It will not become an annual tradition as I only saw one other party on the street but it was a good idea anyway.

Roy

It was a wonderful idea.   Too bad only one other person participated.

Lenda

49 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

What a wonderful reason not to clean the oven!  I have already adopted it.😄

My excuse is DH always complains about the smell.  Also, here the smoke detector is so sensitive it would wail the entire time and would set the other two smoke detectors off.  Last year I tried using a baking soda paste that you wipe off after spraying vinegar on it.  I’m still finding white powder in my oven.  It can stay dirty.  Besides the home remedy only cleaned part of the mess.

Lenda

12 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

Tomorrow is the Winter Solstice and the sun commences its theoretical journey towards the Northern Hemisphere.

Thank you for the reference; I am in California so will probably be up at 12:45am tomorrow (I am a night owl) to watch the show. Thought the equivalent time would be 11:45pm, but checked a time website and it said we are 8 hrs earlier, not 9 hrs as I thought. I hope I got the DAY right!!

7 hours ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

@Horizon chaser 1957 the cranberry sauce sounds delicious. Can you please share the recipe?

I would be honoured! Here is a Christmas gift from our house to yours:

Yuletide Cranberry Sauce

3 cups cranberries (fresh or frozen)

1-1/4 cups granulated sugar

1-1/2 cups cranberry juice 

3/4 cup chopped dried apricots

2 Tbsp cider vinegar

3 Tbsp minced candied ginger

1 tsp grated lemon zest

3/4 tsp cinnamon

pinch of cloves

1/4 cup sliced almonds

in heavy saucepan, combine all ingredients except almonds. Bring to boil, stirring, over medium heat. Reduce heat and simmer until cranberries burst and sauce thickens, about 7 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in almonds. Let cool and store in airtight container in fridge up to 2 weeks. Makes about 3 cups.

Feel free to personalize, keeping basic proportions. Use water, wine, or fruit juice of choice in any combination instead of cranberry juice. Use golden raisins or any small or chopped dried fruit in lieu of apricots. Any wine or vinegar can sub for cider vinegar, ditto any citrus zest for lemon. If you dislike ginger, leave it out. Chopped pecans make a great change up from almonds. Make it your own, and enjoy!

Laura

Edited by Horizon chaser 1957
6 hours ago, summer slope said:

When I was a newlywed, 55 years ago, I cooked lamb patties.  Not knowing what I was doing they turned out liked blackened hockey pucks.  My wonderful hubby covered them with ketchup and raved about how good they were.  I burst into tears.  Love that man.

I guess he was a keeper!

8 hours ago, PSR said:

Thank you for the reference; I am in California so will probably be up at 12:45am tomorrow (I am a night owl) to watch the show. Thought the equivalent time would be 11:45pm, but checked a time website and it said we are 8 hrs earlier, not 9 hrs as I thought. I hope I got the DAY right!!

Yes, Pacific coast is GMT/UTC + 8 hours, so it would be 12.45 am Monday 21st, your time.  Unfortunately, as is to be expected in 2020, it was a 'damp squib'!  Cloud cover and rain hid the sun at sunrise, so no live 'show', instead, as in the best cooking shows, the showed one that was prepared earlier (2018).

There is another live feed tomorrow morning, but weather forecast is not looking good.

Edited by VMax1700
21 hours ago, rafinmd said:

If only we can get the PE cam back up.  Miss the toots they don't have on the Fort Lauderdale webcame.  Thank you for keeping an eye on the list.

Roy

The PE cam isn't working.  But the Pier 66 hotel cam still does.  And it has been focussing on the cruise ships that have been in the port (Celebrity Edge, etc.).  If the HAL ship is at pier 2, then that should make it on the Pier 66 cam,

Charles

22 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

Yes, Pacific coast is GMT/UTC + 8 hours, so it would be 12.45 am Monday 21st, your time.  Unfortunately, as is to be expected in 2020, it was a 'damp squib'!  Cloud cover and rain hid the sun at sunrise, so no live 'show', instead, as in the best cooking shows, the showed one that was prepared earlier (2018).

There is another live feed tomorrow morning, but weather forecast is not looking good.

Yes, I as I discovered when I went to the site and watched the chatting and decided to cut away for awhile and when I came back, the "live" feed was no longer there....it's almost 12:45pm again, so maybe I'll check in again!