Cabo San Lucas and Puerto Vallarta in October?

Hi all.  I just booked an October cruise on the Panorama as a surprise for my husband. 

But when looking at some shore excursions I saw that rainy season and even hurricane season is in October!

Is this true and I would probably be better off cancelling and rebooking for another month?  

We have never cruised out of the west coast and I didn't even consider weather as being a factor.

October is the best month for us to cruise, but I'd hate to go and face rain every day.

Thanks for any advice you might offer!  

12 minutes ago, mominwestlake said:

Hi all.  I just booked an October cruise on the Panorama as a surprise for my husband. 

But when looking at some shore excursions I saw that rainy season and even hurricane season is in October!

Is this true and I would probably be better off cancelling and rebooking for another month?  

We have never cruised out of the west coast and I didn't even consider weather as being a factor.

October is the best month for us to cruise, but I'd hate to go and face rain every day.

Thanks for any advice you might offer!  

I've cruised several times in October and the weather was warm with no rain.

No, they lied to you...

It is hurricane season. But hurricanes need warm water and air, so it won't be cool. There are also 3 distinct paths hurricanes take...the one you need to be most concerned about is the path that curves inland between about Cabo and Puerto Vallarta. The other two are north/northwest over open ocean, and west generally towards Hawaii. We sailed down the coast to the Panama Canal Oct 20 (from San Francisco), transited the Canal Nov 1. South of the US/Mexican border it was warm, to very hot (like close to 100 in Puerto Vallarta) and pretty humid.

The ship will avoid hurricanes. Even in this horrible hurricane season, there are far fewer in the Pacific, compared to the Atlantic/Caribbean.

I have done the Mex. Riviera cruise only once in October; I normally do it Dec - March.  The weather for our cruise was wonderful, but there had been a storm a couple of weeks earlier.  That storm had caused sediment to be stirred up, so for diving and snorkeling purposes, the visibility was not good.

I rarely am interested in snorkeling or diving on a Mex Riviera cruise, so this was not an issue for me.

I hope you have smooth seas and glorious weather!

• 3 months later...

Have been going to Vallarta since 2000 in the mid-October thru late-November time frame. Rarely have experienced any rain lasting a half hour or more. They rarely do weather forecasts because it doesn't matter.

Hurricanes are statistically possible in October. Vallarta suffered significant storm surge/wave damage in late October 2002 (hurricane Kenna).

I have come to believe the rain/stormy weather has the potential to affect any cruise anywhere in the world at any time of the year.

Enjoy . . . 

• 3 weeks later...

We've sailed to the Mexican Riviera many times in October and only once had some rain/lightening at sea...nothing once in port.

I have a mid January 2022 cruise booked and hoping we have good weather ... first time for this particular month.

On 12/20/2020 at 6:49 PM, CruiserBruce said:

warm, to very hot (like close to 100 in Puerto Vallarta) and pretty humid.

Glad someone mentioned humidity!  On the plus side, places like Cabo will be green from the summer rains! 

image.png.77612683d5ea45b07bdf8e6b03832748.png