Jump to content

Connecting Room On S-Class Ships


Recommended Posts

Planning on booking a C2 cabin for a 2022 cruise tomorrow and before I book I need to verify that the connecting rooms on S-class ships do not connect with doors located inside the rooms. If I recall correctly, each room has own entry door from the hall and connect by closing the exterior hall doors and opening the individual room doors.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The doors interconnect like this.   Two normal doors but you can close the outer doors and have the inner ones open instead.   We have also had it that we just had interconnecting via a double verandah.

20170406_133723.thumb.jpg.ca4218d6e31f95abbe244da07c14a9ae.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Luckynana said:

 

We are booked on the Silhouette in a connecting room, and my TA assured me that the door was outside the cabin, as Suzi66 and upwarduk showed in their posts.


That is true as to the Silhouette and the other S-class ships except the Reflection, which is why it’s important to know which ship the OP is considering. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I just hate the inside connecting doors and will avoid them !!!! I'm new to X and found this very confusing when looking at the deck plans and key especially on Reflection...it should be made a bit clearer...not everyone is an X expert. My preferred RCI makes the key easy to understand.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks so much for the photos and replies. It's the Silhouette which we've already sailed 5 times. Should have been #6 on her this past September to the Holy Land (last bucket list itinerary) and of course Covid took care of that. We're still uneasy about cruising in 2021 and I'm finding it difficult that, after 46 cruises, it won't be until 2022 before we board another ship. 

 

Also thanks for the heads up on the the Reflection. Only sailed on her once this past January and never thought the adjoining cabin layout would be different. So I'm happy to know that for the future. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

One last question. After looking more closely at the photo and noticing  the entry doors are on a slant, does this any way impact the size of the cabin or is this the way the doors are on all the S-class ships and I never noticed it, not only on the Silhouette but also on the Solstice or Equinox (haven't sailed Eclipse)????

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Loracpin2 said:

One last question. After looking more closely at the photo and noticing  the entry doors are on a slant, does this any way impact the size of the cabin or is this the way the doors are on all the S-class ships and I never noticed it, not only on the Silhouette but also on the Solstice or Equinox (haven't sailed Eclipse)????

My photo is from the Solstice.   The slant is minimal, so much that I haven't even noticed it.  The opening of the door goes towards the bathroom so it would give a cm if that towards that direction.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Suzi66 said:

My photo is from the Solstice.   The slant is minimal, so much that I haven't even noticed it.  The opening of the door goes towards the bathroom so it would give a cm if that towards that direction.

 

Thanks for your reply. Booking tomorrow and hoping and praying by January 2022 we will finally feel confident cruising again, but more importantly still physically able to do it.  Twelve months now gives me plenty of time to get my knee replaced that was supposed to be done this past march.

 

As for the door slant, curiosity will now make me look at all the doors as we walk down the hall to see if all cabin doors are at an angle or just the ones for adjoining rooms. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Loracpin2 said:

Thanks for your reply. Booking tomorrow and hoping and praying by January 2022 we will finally feel confident cruising again, but more importantly still physically able to do it.  Twelve months now gives me plenty of time to get my knee replaced that was supposed to be done this past march.

 

As for the door slant, curiosity will now make me look at all the doors as we walk down the hall to see if all cabin doors are at an angle or just the ones for adjoining rooms. 

When you walk down the hallway, tilt your head and you won't notice the slant.  Good luck with the knee replacement, you will be cruising soon(ish) as good as new!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know where this "slant" talk comes from?  If the two staterooms are set up to connect, the two wooden doors are closed to be flush with the passageway bulkhead.  This is done so you can enter from one of the connecting doors and be in the little alcove to maneuver between the two staterooms.  🍷

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Wine-O said:

I don't know where this "slant" talk comes from?  If the two staterooms are set up to connect, the two wooden doors are closed to be flush with the passageway bulkhead.  This is done so you can enter from one of the connecting doors and be in the little alcove to maneuver between the two staterooms.  🍷

If you look at the photos at the beginning of the post, the entry doors for each individual room aren't straight across. They are on a slant (slight angle).   Slant has nothing to do with the two wooden doors along the corridor. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Loracpin2 said:

If you look at the photos at the beginning of the post, the entry doors for each individual room aren't straight across. They are on a slant (slight angle).   Slant has nothing to do with the two wooden doors along the corridor. 

All staterooms, whether connecting or not, have that slight slant angle of the doors.  It has nothing to do with connecting or non-connecting staterooms or the price of eggs in China.  😀  The staterooms are built in modules of two with a little alcove.  The stateroom doors open out into the alcove.  With connecting, the stateroom doors open into the the cabin, and the wooden doors are added for the connection.  🍷

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Wine-O said:

All staterooms, whether connecting or not, have that slight slant angle of the doors.  It has nothing to do with connecting or non-connecting staterooms or the price of eggs in China.  😀  The staterooms are built in modules of two with a little alcove.  The stateroom doors open out into the alcove.  With connecting, the stateroom doors open into the the cabin, and the wooden doors are added for the connection.  🍷

Thanks. Wine-O. Fifteen S-class cruises in either non-adjoining CC or AQ cabins,  and while I recall the doors opening out, I never took notice of the slant in the past.  Apparently I am soooo board right now, I'm even noticing minutia!!!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, here's my issue with this design of connecting state rooms.  Connecting cabins that have this outside connecting door feature also reverse the opening of the bathroom door.  In a conventional cabin the hinge is near the cabin entry door and the bathroom door opens toward the hallway.  So when you want to go into the bathroom you approach the bathroom from the inside of the cabin and open the door only as wide as you need and enter the bathroom.  For this style of connecting cabin the hinge is near the bed/closet and and opens towards the bed/closet.    The result is that in order to enter the bathroom you need to walk completely past the bathroom, stand next to the cabin entry door and then open the bathroom door.  I find this rather clumsy.     I think they needed to reverse the direction of the bathroom door opening because the regular cabin door blocks the bathroom door from opening when the regular cabin door is open in the connecting format.  

 

Although the concept is much  better than a connecting door inside the cabin it would have been nice if the cabin were a couple of inches wider to allow for the conventional opening of the bathroom door.  I still avoid the connecting cabins even with this design feature.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with Barbara Muckermann, CMO Silversea Cruises
      • ICYM Our Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Explore the Remote World with Hurtigruten!
      • Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team: New Ship Ultramarine
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...