Had to make the move

So today I decided to give up on my upcoming 12 night Greek Isles cruise on Infinity in May. Even though the Celebrity rep I spoke to indicated that it was still going it is just inevitable that it will either be cancelled or will be restructured into a form that just doesn’t work for me with either a shortened itinerary or being forced to take ship excursions, etc. It’s too bad because I was really looking forward to this itinerary with several new ports that I’ve never visited like Hydra, Argostoli, Thessaloniki and Chania. It was also going to fall over my husband’s and my 5th wedding anniversary and celebrating 25 years together and we had one of the Penthouses booked, so big bummer there. This will be the third cruise I’ve had to let go due to COVID after my MSC cruise was cancelled in May and my Princess cruise was cancelled for this month.

So turning lemons into lemonade I looked at the 2022 Europe itineraries and while there was no matching itinerary to what I had booked for 2021 I did see that Apex was offering some interesting itineraries sailing out of Amsterdam in June. So I wound up booking a back-to-back starting with a 12 nt Iceland and Ireland cruise followed by a 7 nt Norwegian Fjords cruise. I was able to transfer my deposit from my 2021 cruise to one booking and then had to just pay a $500 deposit total for the second. This will be my first back-to-back on Celebrity. While the Penthouse and the other top suites were too out of reach price-wise for me I did wind up getting a Celebrity Suite which will be the first time for me sailing in that category. The great part about this was booking through Blue Chip Club as they were able to offer a discount off the two cruises which totaled $9104 (about a 36% savings) compared to website pricing. Adding that to the Blue Chip incentive we earned from our last cruise which was around $2000 (we can’t apply that until 6 months out) it means we will wind up saving $11,100 off these cruises which is fantastic! The rep confirmed that all the perks are included and I am already seeing the $400pp in onboard credit on one reservation and $300pp on the other which means we’ll have a total of $1400 in credit to spend which will help with specialty dining expenses, spa and excursions.

I was surprised that we were able to get a Blue Chip discount on Apex as they typically black out the newest ship in the fleet for discounting for at least the first year or so. I should note though that the discounts vary by departure. I was not able to get a discount on my first choice which was a June 26th departure but I was able to get it on the June 7th and June 19th sailings. Looking forward to checking out Apex and seeing what improvements they have made over Edge and having lots of time to check out all the various dining and entertainment venues that my 7 night Edge cruise didn’t allow. I’m also intrigued with the itineraries as this will be our first time to Iceland, Ireland and Norway. Looking forward to being able to see these long days with sunlight too. 

Any feedback or advice that anyone has on the Iceland/Ireland itinerary or the Norwegian Fjords itinerary would be great.

Edited by WonderMan3
7 minutes ago, WonderMan3 said:

So today I decided to give up on my upcoming 12 night Greek Isles cruise on Infinity in May. Even though the Celebrity rep I spoke to indicated that it was still going it is just inevitable that it will either be cancelled or will be restructured into a form that just doesn’t work for me with either a shortened itinerary or being forced to take ship excursions, etc. It’s too bad because I was really looking forward to this itinerary with several new ports that I’ve never visited like Hydra, Argostoli, Thessaloniki and Chania. It was also going to fall over my husband’s and my 5th wedding anniversary and celebrating 25 years together and we had one of the Penthouses booked, so big bummer there. This will be the third cruise I’ve had to let go due to COVID after my MSC cruise was cancelled in May and my Princess cruise was cancelled for this month.

So turning lemons into lemonade I looked at the 2022 Europe itineraries and while there was no matching itinerary to what I had booked for 2021 I did see that Apex was offering some interesting itineraries sailing out of Amsterdam in June. So I wound up booking a back-to-back starting with a 12 nt Iceland and Ireland cruise followed by a 7 nt Norwegian Fjords cruise. I was able to transfer my deposit from my 2021 cruise to one booking and then had to just pay a $500 deposit total for the second. This will be my first back-to-back on Celebrity. While the Penthouse and the other top suites were too out of reach price-wise for me I did wind up getting a Celebrity Suite which will be the first time for me sailing in that category. The great part about this was booking through Blue Chip Club as they were able to offer a discount off the two cruises which totaled $9104 (about a 36% savings) compared to website pricing. Adding that to the Blue Chip incentive we earned from our last cruise which was around $2000 (we can’t apply that until 6 months out) it means we will wind up saving $11,100 off these cruises which is fantastic! The rep confirmed that all the perks are included and I am already seeing the $400pp in onboard credits on each reservation which means we’ll have a total of $800 in credit to spend per cruise which will help with specialty dining expenses, spa and excursions.

I was surprised that we were able to get a Blue Chip discount on Apex as they typically black out the newest ship in the fleet for discounting for at least the first year or so. I should note though that the discounts vary by departure. I was not able to get a discount on my first choice which was a June 26th departure but I was able to get it on the June 7th and June 19th sailings. Looking forward to checking out Apex and seeing what improvements they have made over Edge and having lots of time to check out all the various dining and entertainment venues that my 7 night Edge cruise didn’t allow. I’m also intrigued with the itineraries as this will be our first time to Iceland, Ireland and Norway. Looking forward to being able to see these long days with sunlight too. 

Any feedback or advice that anyone has on the Iceland/Ireland itinerary or the Norwegian Fjords itinerary would be great.

Wow, good on you, sounds like you and your husband got great deals for a fantastic cruise(s)!!  I cannot speak to Iceland but have spent a good deal of time in Ireland.  Beautiful country, OMG beautiful.  What ports will you be in, Dublin, Cork/Cobh, Belfast and any overnights?  Have a FANTASTIC personal driver who puts awesome private tours together.    

9 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

Wow, good on you, sounds like you and your husband got great deals for a fantastic cruise(s)!!  I cannot speak to Iceland but have spent a good deal of time in Ireland.  Beautiful country, OMG beautiful.  What ports will you be in, Dublin, Cork/Cobh, Belfast and any overnights?  Have a FANTASTIC personal driver who puts awesome private tours together.    

Yes, it will be Belfast, Dublin and Cork/Cobh. No overnights there but we are in Dublin until 10:15pm. We have overnights on the two Iceland ports. I’m thinking for the Ireland ports that we’ll probably explore each city rather than going out into the country as I want to go back and do a full Ireland tour for a few weeks. But you never know I might change my mind since I don’t know when that future Ireland trip might happen.

5 minutes ago, WonderMan3 said:

Yes, it will be Belfast, Dublin and Cork/Cobh. No overnights there but we are in Dublin until 10:15pm. We have overnights on the two Iceland ports. I’m thinking for the Ireland ports that we’ll probably explore each city rather than going out into the country as I want to go back and do a full Ireland tour for a few weeks. But you never know I might change my mind since I don’t know when that future Ireland trip might happen.

In Dublin, Trinity College Libray, try to see the Book of Kells, and no stop in Dublin should go without a tour of the Guinness Factory, very cool and leads you up to the round window bar at the top with a ice cold glass of Guinness to end the tour, lot of fun!

1 hour ago, WonderMan3 said:

So turning lemons into lemonade I looked at the 2022 Europe itineraries and while there was no matching itinerary to what I had booked for 2021 I did see that Apex was offering some interesting itineraries sailing out of Amsterdam in June. So I wound up booking a back-to-back starting with a 12 nt Iceland and Ireland cruise followed by a 7 nt Norwegian Fjords cruise. I was able to transfer my deposit from my 2021 cruise to one booking and then had to just pay a $500 deposit total for the second. This will be my first back-to-back on Celebrity. While the Penthouse and the other top suites were too out of reach price-wise for me I did wind up getting a Celebrity Suite which will be the first time for me sailing in that category. The great part about this was booking through Blue Chip Club as they were able to offer a discount off the two cruises which totaled $9104 (about a 36% savings) compared to website pricing. Adding that to the Blue Chip incentive we earned from our last cruise which was around $2000 (we can’t apply that until 6 months out) it means we will wind up saving $11,100 off these cruises which is fantastic! The rep confirmed that all the perks are included and I am already seeing the $400pp in onboard credit on one reservation and $300pp on the other which means we’ll have a total of $1400 in credit to spend which will help with specialty dining expenses, spa and excursions.

We did Ireland and Iceland in 2019, round trip out of Dublin, and Iceland in our household has been declared a destination worthy of its own trip, in fact we are planning a road trip,  circumnavigation of Iceland a few years down the road.

In 2019 we did a stop over in Iceland on our way to Dublin, and spent 3 days in Reykjavik, just exploring the city; it is a beautiful city and the people are so warm and friendly.  The food is exceptional.  We had the same setup, overnight in both Reykjavik and Akureyri, and did two tours out of each city.  We had very little sleep in those 4 days.  The country is beautiful, such a raw, austere landscape joined with breathtaking alpine meadows, glaciers and volcanoes.  Yes, there will be long days with endless sunlight; in fact, the first night we did not close the blackout curtains in our hotel room tight enough and I awoke at 3 am and was able to read without turning on the bedside light.

We booked all our tours through Saga Tours or Saga Travel not sure of the proper name; however, I read that they had financial issues earlier this year and are under new management.  All the tours were small group approx 20 people per van/bus.

We have been to Ireland several times and as previously mentioned there are a multitude of things to do each of the cities we will stop in.

I have to disclose now that there is a very, very good chance that we will probably be joining you on the Iceland/Ireland portion of your trip, only because it is starting from Amsterdam.  We were there in 2015 and didn't allow ourselves enough time to see everything there was to see.  My better half is doing some baking in preparation for the holiday season, and I know enough not to disturb her when she is baking....but there will probably be some interesting pillow talk later tonight.

Hopefully by the time you two sail you can book independent tours. If so make sure you book Jameson or Guinness early. When you go to Trinity College to see The Book of Kells go upstairs to explore the library.

Study geology before you step foot on Iceland. It's amazing and if you have a chance, and are interested, go to the power plant. It's a short drive from the center (port) of Reykjavik.

Stay on deck unless you have an aft suite as you sail the fjords. I don't know how active the Seven Sisters will be in the middle of summer but my oh my what a sailing experience. Another great thing is the coastal drives in Norway which will be open by the time you arrive.

Enjoy planning.

15 minutes ago, alcpa1 said:

Hopefully by the time you two sail you can book independent tours. If so make sure you book Jameson or Guinness early. When you go to Trinity College to see The Book of Kells go upstairs to explore the library.

Study geology before you step foot on Iceland. It's amazing and if you have a chance, and are interested, go to the power plant. It's a short drive from the center (port) of Reykjavik.

Stay on deck unless you have an aft suite as you sail the fjords. I don't know how active the Seven Sisters will be in the middle of summer but my oh my what a sailing experience. Another great thing is the coastal drives in Norway which will be open by the time you arrive.

Enjoy planning.

Thanks. I'm wondering how good the view will be from the Retreat sundeck at the front of the ship. Is there a particular day (going to/from a port) that has the best fjords scenery?

1 hour ago, ScubesDad said:

We did Ireland and Iceland in 2019, round trip out of Dublin, and Iceland in our household has been declared a destination worthy of its own trip, in fact we are planning a road trip,  circumnavigation of Iceland a few years down the road.

In 2019 we did a stop over in Iceland on our way to Dublin, and spent 3 days in Reykjavik, just exploring the city; it is a beautiful city and the people are so warm and friendly.  The food is exceptional.  We had the same setup, overnight in both Reykjavik and Akureyri, and did two tours out of each city.  We had very little sleep in those 4 days.  The country is beautiful, such a raw, austere landscape joined with breathtaking alpine meadows, glaciers and volcanoes.  Yes, there will be long days with endless sunlight; in fact, the first night we did not close the blackout curtains in our hotel room tight enough and I awoke at 3 am and was able to read without turning on the bedside light.

We booked all our tours through Saga Tours or Saga Travel not sure of the proper name; however, I read that they had financial issues earlier this year and are under new management.  All the tours were small group approx 20 people per van/bus.

We have been to Ireland several times and as previously mentioned there are a multitude of things to do each of the cities we will stop in.

I have to disclose now that there is a very, very good chance that we will probably be joining you on the Iceland/Ireland portion of your trip, only because it is starting from Amsterdam.  We were there in 2015 and didn't allow ourselves enough time to see everything there was to see.  My better half is doing some baking in preparation for the holiday season, and I know enough not to disturb her when she is baking....but there will probably be some interesting pillow talk later tonight.

Thanks for the insight. Sounds like great minds think alike so maybe we will see you onboard...

34 minutes ago, WonderMan3 said:

Thanks. I'm wondering how good the view will be from the Retreat sundeck at the front of the ship. Is there a particular day (going to/from a port) that has the best fjords scenery?

The sail-in to Akureyri is stunning! You sail in through a beautiful fjord. We were lucky enough to get a helipad invitation, and had a fantastic view. I imagine it would be lovely from any vantage point.

I have a recommendation for a fantastic private tour guide in Belfast. Also, I have two rather out-of-the box recommendations for Waterford, Ireland. Let me know if you're interested. 

10 hours ago, WonderMan3 said:

.... So turning lemons into lemonade I looked at the 2022 Europe itineraries and while there was no matching itinerary to what I had booked for 2021 I did see that Apex was offering some interesting itineraries sailing out of Amsterdam in June. So I wound up booking a back-to-back starting with a 12 nt Iceland and Ireland cruise followed by a 7 nt Norwegian Fjords cruise. I was able to transfer my deposit from my 2021 cruise to one booking and then had to just pay a $500 deposit total for the second. This will be my first back-to-back on Celebrity.

This sounds like a great combination of trips, but just one question.   I keep hearing that Celebrity isn't allowing B2B cruises for the indefinite future.  I wonder if that is just for US cruises or if they are hoping that requirement is relaxed by 2022.  We are looking at a fall Med cruise followed by a transatlantic and we aren't sure if we will be able to book that combination.

15 hours ago, WonderMan3 said:

Be prepared to dress in layers. We sailed to Norway, Iceland & Ireland at the beginning of July 2009 and they had had a snow storm in Iceland the previous day.

We did all P&O tours via the ship, so probably different named tours, but we saw the Rift Valley, Godafoss Waterfall and the Geo thermal pools in Iceland. 
We didn’t buy many souviners, as we considered them to be expensive, but in Alusend my husband bought a cap which cost 100NK =£10 and a mug 40 NK =£4.

The channel between Iceland and Ireland was particularly stormy, so I hope you have good sea legs.

I've tried twice to get to Iceland on Celebrity.  Had the PH for 28 days this year.  Toast.  Re-booked for next year.  That will be cancelled also, due to the length of the B2B.  Do not care for the 2022 itinerary.  May do a land trip to Iceland when things settle down.  

Do not book anything with Saga or whatever name they are currently using.  They went bankrupt and many of us lost hundreds of dollars on tours booked and paid for in advance.  Some people were able to recover from their credit card companies, but Capital One did not have my back and I no longer do business with them.

Hope it works out for you!

Oh, Linda, I'm so sorry that happened to you. I'm also sorry to hear that Saga went bankrupt. I would have highly recommended them, based on my 2019 experiences. We had four days of fantastic tours with them. 

It's a shame that Capital One did not cover you under "services not rendered." 

I am grateful for this CC community, and the way people here look out for one another. 

1 hour ago, upwarduk said:

Be prepared to dress in layers. We sailed to Norway, Iceland & Ireland at the beginning of July 2009 and they had had a snow storm in Iceland the previous day.

We did all P&O tours via the ship, so probably different named tours, but we saw the Rift Valley, Godafoss Waterfall and the Geo thermal pools in Iceland. 
We didn’t buy many souviners, as we considered them to be expensive, but in Alusend my husband bought a cap which cost 100NK =£10 and a mug 40 NK =£4.

The channel between Iceland and Ireland was particularly stormy, so I hope you have good sea legs.

Wow. Snow even in July? Did you have any warm days on the trip? And were the seas rough both ways? Was it indeed because of a storm as you mentioned or are the waters there always rough? That was a concern for me as I am prone to seasickness. I always take a Bonine regardless of sea conditions and haven’t really ever had issues despite being in some bouncy seas a few times.

52 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

I've tried twice to get to Iceland on Celebrity.  Had the PH for 28 days this year.  Toast.  Re-booked for next year.  That will be cancelled also, due to the length of the B2B.  Do not care for the 2022 itinerary.  May do a land trip to Iceland when things settle down.  

Do not book anything with Saga or whatever name they are currently using.  They went bankrupt and many of us lost hundreds of dollars on tours booked and paid for in advance.  Some people were able to recover from their credit card companies, but Capital One did not have my back and I no longer do business with them.

Hope it works out for you!

What changed in the itinerary vs. 2020 or 2021?

6 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

This sounds like a great combination of trips, but just one question.   I keep hearing that Celebrity isn't allowing B2B cruises for the indefinite future.  I wonder if that is just for US cruises or if they are hoping that requirement is relaxed by 2022.  We are looking at a fall Med cruise followed by a transatlantic and we aren't sure if we will be able to book that combination.

That would be in effect likely for the first 6 months or so when cruising starts again. Of course we don’t know when that will happen. The cruise line is clearly assuming that by mid-2022 things will be more back to normal otherwise they wouldn’t have let me book that. They may not allow it for any 2021 cruises.

Ireland is just absolutely gorgeous!  I went for a land trip about 25 years ago and loved it; I'm sure you will as well.  Something I loved in my touring Dublin was their bronze statues in the city streets.  Now keep in mind that the Irish are quite irreverent when I tell you the names they have given to three of them.  They are The Tart with the Cart, The ***** with the Stick and The Time in the Slime.  Can't guess their real names?  The first is the statue of Molly Malone with her cart.  She was a fish monger who walked the streets crying out "cockles and mussels"  sweet Molly Malone!  Now, the ***** with the Stick is a statue of, I believe, the poet James Joyce, standing there with his top hat on his head and leaning on his walking stick.  The third, The Time in the Slime, might not still be there since it was a count-down clock for the New Millennial which was submerged in the River Shannon at one of the foot bridges crossing it.  As I mentioned, the Irish are very irreverent but with a great sense of humor!

Enjoy your trip!!

Donna

18 hours ago, WonderMan3 said:

This is great ... jealous.  So if I am reading right, you are now booked on B2B in 2022 and you mention Blue Chip incentive earned from your last cruise, wouldn't these be ones that would expire the end of 2022 or is this something different?  I have wanted to look at booking something for 2022 but it kills me all Blue Chip incentive/status is set to die before then while we sit here unable to sail any time soon.  So sad. 

2 hours ago, WonderMan3 said:

What changed in the itinerary vs. 2020 or 2021?

Shortened to 12 nights each leg and turn around in Iceland.  2020 were 14 night and turnaround was  Dublin and 2021 was Southampton.

This was the Summit "TA" from Cape Liberty returning to Boston.

Edited by wrk2cruise
1 hour ago, wrk2cruise said:

Shortened to 12 nights each leg and turn around in Iceland.  2020 were 14 night and turnaround was  Dublin and 2021 was Southampton.

This was the Summit "TA" from Cape Liberty returning to Boston.

Ah, that one. The one from Iceland to Boston was going to be my back up if I couldn’t get rates on the Apex cruise. I liked it because ending in Boston meant only a one way flight for us. My husband wasn’t thrilled with that itinerary though; he wasn’t interested in the Canada ports.

2 hours ago, poffles said:

This is great ... jealous.  So if I am reading right, you are now booked on B2B in 2022 and you mention Blue Chip incentive earned from your last cruise, wouldn't these be ones that would expire the end of 2022 or is this something different?  I have wanted to look at booking something for 2022 but it kills me all Blue Chip incentive/status is set to die before then while we sit here unable to sail any time soon.  So sad. 

I’m referring to the incentive I earned from my previous cruise which was on the Summit in January of 2019. I can apply it to whatever my next Celebrity cruise is. I had planned to apply it to my Greece cruise in May 2021 but now it will have to wait until the 2022 cruise. Your incentive that you earned from play does not expire that I am aware of. I know there is something called “Annual cruise benefit” that is listed on the Blue Chip tier chart for Amethyst or higher but I have yet to get a clear explanation as to what that is. I have even asked a host onboard who didn’t know.

17 minutes ago, WonderMan3 said:

Ah, that one. The one from Iceland to Boston was going to be my back up if I couldn’t get rates on the Apex cruise. I liked it because ending in Boston meant only a one way flight for us. My husband wasn’t thrilled with that itinerary though; he wasn’t interested in the Canada ports.

Even if not on a cruise, if you and your husband ever have the chance to go to Nova Scotia, in Halifax there is a little gift from heaven called Peggy's Cove on St. Margaret's Bay.  OMG it is SO beautiful and perfect place to find a B&B and spend a night.