The Daily for Friday Dec 25, 2020

richwmn

Merry Christmas
today is Christmas Day, National Pumpkin Pie Day, and No L Day

People with narrow minds usually have broad tongues.

Meal suggestion for today - Crock-Pot Christmas Ham

Drink of the Day - Blessmosass

Wine of the day - Vasse Felix Cabernet Sauvignon Margaret River Filius vintage 2015

At Sea Atlantic
Eurodam destination Southampton eta 1/6
Oosterdam destination Southampton eta 1/5

at Sea Caribbean
Nieuw Statendam destination Port Everglades

at Sea Pacific
Koningsdam destination Los Angeles eta 1/7
Nieuw Amsterdam off Los Angeles
Westerdam destination San Diego eta 12/28
Zuiderdam destionation Los Angeles eta 1/2

Panama Canal
Noordam destination Los Angeles eta 12/30

Torquay Anchorage
Volendam
Zaandam

1225World.png

Edited by richwmn
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 5

Thank you for the Merry Christmas Daily, Rich.  Great selection of days.  I love the quote and your meal choice is certainly more festive than mine.  My only cruise that started after Christmas was the Ryndam which I boarded December 28, 2014.  I flew down Christmas Day (family time came after the cruise) and dinner that day was a burger at Burger King.  A much better choice would be a Pinnacle Burger.

Today's care list:

Mrs Vmax with radiation looming

Caregiver Gsel and her DH battling Alzheimers

Sharon’s mon living in a Covid hot spot

NextOne DH with Renal Cancer

RIP lazey1's pastor

cruising along’s friend’s parents

CrabbyPatti’s dad with dementia

RIP live report pioneer tomc

and Krazy Kruisers and Joe

Today's Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Mweey Christmas to those who celebrate it (except Boxing Day for Erewhon)

Santa Rich, leaving a gift of community under our virtual trees every morning.

Occasional contributors including (neighbor) Icand1923, bobpatj, leerathje, GeorgesGal, and sailingdutchy

Teachers and school workers, especially StLouisCruiser’s DD

Front Line Health Care Workers

summer slope and cat shepard, our beverage authorities

an on the spot service man for kplady

First solid food for kazu

Nieuw Statendam headed for Port Everglades

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 20
  • Thanks 3

Merry Christmas to all the dailyites.  What a blessed place this has become.  Have a pumpkin pie ready for dinner, and dinner will be the meal of the day.  Prayers for our lists, and everyone who is here.  Congratulations to our other list. Please stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.  We want you all here!

Blessmosas:

Ingredients
  • 2 tbsp. sugar
  • 1 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1 (32-oz) container cranberry juice
  • ½ gal. apple cider
  • 1 bottle prosecco
  • 1 apple, ½ diced and ½ sliced into half moons, for garnish
  • 1 package whole cranberries

Instructions
  1. Combine sugar and cinnamon on a shallow plate. Dip the rim of each glass in water, then dip into the cinnamon-brown sugar mixture, coating the edge of each glass.
  2. Fill each Champagne flute ¼ of the way up with cranberry juice. Fill halfway up with apple cider. Top with Prosecco and a few cranberries and diced apple pieces.
  3. Garnish with an apple slice.

Screen Shot 2020-12-25 at 7.05.46 AM.png

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, dfish said:

Merry Christmas to all!  Santa came yesterday.  My dental hygiene sister gets her vaccine Monday at 1:40 pm and my respiratory therapist brother is scheduled for next week as well.  I am thrilled.

That is really good news and truly a Christmas wish fulfilled ❤️ 

• Like 7

Thanks for our Christmas Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 🎄 

A very Merry Christmas (which we will happily celebrate) to one and all.  It might be a covid Christmas but we will make the best of it.

149BD4F6-2B3A-41EA-8581-00013E14186B.gif.4b1102b98ca30e461f4066bcb02b0cd2.gif

No Pumpkin pie on the menu today but there will be lots of food.  And cookies for DH, custard for me 😉 

I’ll pass on the meal suggestion despite loving ham (and have some in the fridge for another day) as we are having turkey.  I hope it turns out ok as I am taking some turkey, potatoes, gravy, cranberries, squash, carrots, fresh bread, etc to my dear neighbour tomorrow who will be alone on the day after Christmas. (She has invite for Xmas dinner).  She heartbreakingly had to place her husband in a special home and visits him every day. ❤️ 😢 

I love that quote and @summer slope - I love that drink.  We might give it a try.  

To everyone that I gifted presents to:

9B57A0C6-D67D-4FC0-9549-1B1A94200A7E.thumb.jpeg.4e64626f11976e13e5b538839e12b20f.jpeg

This is my favourite poinsettia:

DFABDBCF-68E8-44F9-8A94-ECDEC2AAE44E.jpeg.86c779513cfd906f53346a71a31b8c69.jpeg

Seriously, from our house to all of yours, one of my favourites:

E5EE444E-17C1-4B4A-A985-73E8EC5812E1.thumb.jpeg.a2c23d24eba8aaea1260f9ab8c7bd6a2.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on Roy’s Care list & for those that need them.  I’m adding special prayers for not just TomC but for RuthC who keenly feels his loss as he was her dearest friend. ❤️  And, of course, a huge toast to everyone on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great covid Christmas everyone.  Protect yourselves and your family and friends and please, don’t forget your masks 😷 

• Like 25
  • Thanks 2

A VERY Merry Christmas to the Daily Gang...  We've had pretty nasty storms for the last 24 hours but the Christmas spirit is bright even on a drab windy day...

I am thankful to Rich, Roy and the rest of the Daily-ites...

• Like 14

Good morning to all! Merry Christmas! The Christ Child is born!

Rich, a special blessing this morning goes out to you for keeping our Daily community alive and well. I am so thankful all who post here are positive folks who help one another and have come to care and know one another.

Roy, we continue to thank you and pray for you and your brother to have a less hurtful, more loving relationship. Thanks for your pictures and prayers and celebrations each day. You always remember folks in the kindest ways.

My sisters Ann (Bindi) and Deeni (David, Shawn and Paisley), sending blessings your way and really hoping for a new year that turns us all around. Hoping we are all safely cruising together one day soon. Thanks summer for your drink recipes and pictures.

We zoom called with my sister, nieces and their beaus last night. We opened gifts and had a nice hour together. My sis and I ended up in tears when it was time to say goodbye. I miss her so much.

As you have gotten to know me here on the Daily, you'll appreciate some of our gifts:

We opened wine glasses that said "I just want to drink wine and pet my cat" and a pair of slippers with kitty and paws that say "welcome kitty" Allen got a beautiful cardinal feeder with a big roof and each side has a suet holder. It really was a wonderful family virtual visit.

Merry Christmas to all. Sending love, blessings and hope to you this day. Joy

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  Merry Christmas to everyone who celebrates - for those on this thread who do not, may your day be filled with peace and contentment.

Yesterday we had to replace one of the lights on the front of the house, so DH went and bought a couple of new bulbs - if you're replacing one, you might as well do the other before it burns out.  Because it was Christmas Eve afternoon, he grabbed two and came home.  We installed them (after cleaning the glass coverings), and later in the evening turned them on.  After 3 phone calls from neighbours commenting on the new lights, we went outside to see what they looked like . . . DH had bought 100 watt bulbs and our house looked like a beacon for Santa's reindeer!  We turned them off, fearing the low-flying aircraft would mistake our house for a well lit runway!

Ham will have to wait for another day, as we'll have our traditional roast turkey and stuffing, garlic mashed potatoes and gravy, brown sugar carrots, fresh baked buns and tossed salad for our dinner tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them, and even for those who don't think they do (extra for the soul of dear TomC), and raising our stemware tonight to toast all on the happy list.  Be well, stay safe, wash your hands and wear your mask.

image.thumb.jpeg.deadecce251ee82794c3cd902009751b.jpeg

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 23
  • Haha 3

Merry Christmas all!  May you each have a joyous day.

Rich, many moons ago I started following the Fleet Report, because I was getting excited about an upcoming cruise! I though ‘How cool!’

Little did I realize how important  it would become after it morphed into The Daily. Thanks to YOU & all your efforts. You gave us each a place to share, contribute -or not, laugh, learn, cheer and even shed a tear or two. Thank you.

Roy thank you for keeping our lists. Not always a fun thing to do, but such an integral part of what The Daily is!

Morning Dailyites & my Sisters! Jacqui & Joy, great giggles this morning! Summer, that drink is gorgeous, and might be perfect to serve to a 13 year old man child, though I might make his with just a splash of Prosecco.😉

Sadly that quote applies to too many people. I am going to look up that recipe! Haven’t had ham in ages. 

Prayers for all who need our support, including RuthC, who lost her best friend, poster TomC.  Cheers to all of us for finding this great place to connect & share! 

Stay well everyone! Happy Holidays!

This Western Australian Cab has great ratings and a decent price starting around $20.49. The winemaker’s notes are almost poetic!

#58 Wine Spectator Top 100 of 2018

Maroon color with a purple tint, the 2015 vintage unfolds a classical savory Cabernet perfume. Vibrant blackcurrant fruit with gravel earth, hints of venison, mushrooms and truffles mingle with a fine sage-like herbal lift. Fragrant spiced oak notes sit beautifully underneath, delivering a touch of classical cedar. A light entrance leads to juicy fruit with bright acidity, with flavors of blackcurrant and woodsy native forest. Shapely as a Cabernet should be, the power starts to build with a fine tannin profile, leaving a lengthy dry, linear finish.

Blend: 87% Cabernet Sauvignon, 13% Malbec

WS92 Wine Spectator: Opens with a fresh green accent reminiscent of tomato leaf and sage, giving a savory, peppery note to the plush, velvety cassis and plum core. Finds balance between grace and power, with spice and herb elements lingering on the finish. Drink now through 2028. 
Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 17

24 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  Merry Christmas to everyone who celebrates - for those on this thread who do not, may your day be filled with peace and contentment.

Yesterday we had to replace one of the lights on the front of the house, so DH went and bought a couple of new bulbs - if you're replacing one, you might as well do the other before it burns out.  Because it was Christmas Eve afternoon, he grabbed two and came home.  We installed them (after cleaning the glass coverings), and later in the evening turned them on.  After 3 phone calls from neighbours commenting on the new lights, we went outside to see what they looked like . . . DH had bought 100 watt bulbs and our house looked like a beacon for Santa's reindeer!  We turned them off, fearing the low-flying aircraft would mistake our house for a well lit runway!

Thank you for making me laugh out loud, Gerry!

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Merry Christmas to all!  I woke up today to see a smattering of snowflakes on our deck!   HoHoHo!  (sorry to all those snowed under in the frozen tundra, but a few snowflakes here is news).  

I wanted pumpkin pie for Christmas but DH thinks we should burn off the pound of fat we put on eating Thanksgiving's calories first.  So we will wait and perhaps have a pie for Valentine's Day.  In addition we are taking it easy today with roast beef in the crock pot.  

To continue with my Holiday cruise in 2016, on Christmas Day the Seabourn Quest arrived in Punta Arenas, Chile.  We headed downtown to see if the town square had any vendors open on the holiday and sure enough they did.  Lots of goodies including alpaca sweaters, hats, scarves.  Church services were being held across the street.  And a new sight for us this visit was the huge cemetery a little further down the main road.

enhance

enhance

This sweater is only about $14USD in today's dollars.  Hard to believe because alpaca wool is expensive.

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

Then back to the ship for a hot meal at the Patio Grill on the pool deck.  They have overhead heaters!

enhance

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

For all the uplifting posts given to us by fellow Dailyites as we experience 2020: Thank you.

From Rich, Roy, the 3 sisters, Kazu, Summer slope and other frequent posters to occasional posters and lurkers who post once or twice - all have helped us survive this crazy year with their gifts of friendship.

• Like 20

2 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

A friend sent me this great video of Covid Christmas carols.  I could watch this over and over because it always brings a smile to my face.  I hope this works because I've never tried posting a video before.

Enjoy!!

!  Your video worked great.  Love it 🙂. Thanks for the Christmas Cheer!

• Like 4