Carnival out of San Juan

7 hours ago, cmukid87 said:

Let Carnival know! 

Email icare@carnival.com and let them know

that we all want San Juan to remain part of their embarkation ports. 

Thanks for the heads-up!! icare@carnival.com

I just sent them my email pointing out

that there are hundreds of us on the island of Barbados

with lots of pent-up demand to resume cruising from Barbados.
It's just so convenient for us to board at Bridgetown!
The Port is literally across the other side of town, from my house -
it's a 10-15 minute drive, and I'm there!

Btown-48.jpg

On 12/25/2020 at 10:47 PM, PhillyFan33579 said:

Did you take another cruise out of San Juan that you didn’t mention? You said you cruised on two Conquest class ships, but listed Victory (Destiny class ship) and Liberty (Conquest class ship). 

I was mistaken about the Victory.

Until Carnival improves their itineraries, we are not planning any cruises with them.  It seems like every cruise is going to the same ports.

If they wanted to get rid of some ports, Freeport and Progresso would have been better choices, IMO. 

4 hours ago, 2PinaColadas said:

Until Carnival improves their itineraries, we are not planning any cruises with them.  It seems like every cruise is going to the same ports.

If they wanted to get rid of some ports, Freeport and Progresso would have been better choices, IMO. 

Those 2 ports you mentioned are not visited by the majority of cruises from San Juan.

9 minutes ago, vwrestler171 said:

Those 2 ports you mentioned are not visited by the majority of cruises from San Juan.

I think that’s what 2PC’s meant. Instead of getting rid of Barbados, St Lucia, etc that are on the Fascination’s route, they should have axed Progreso and Freeport. 

20 hours ago, Aplmac said:

I just sent them my email pointing out

that there are hundreds of us on the island of Barbados

with lots of pent-up demand to resume cruising from Barbados.
It's just so convenient for us to board at Bridgetown!
The Port is literally across the other side of town, from my house -
it's a 10-15 minute drive, and I'm there!

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47mx7mlj7sab37z06w3v

Edited by Saint Greg
5 hours ago, 2PinaColadas said:

Do whatever you want with Freeport. Though pre-covid Carnival had plans to build a nice port area there. But western itineraries need Progreso. There aren't enough western port options to be axing ports. I'd like to see Progreso on some 7-day cruises instead of going to Cozumel for a 5 millionth time.

The fact is more ships are going to be able to get to Freeport and Progreso. That's why Carnival won't get rid of them.

Edited by Saint Greg
59 minutes ago, MeganGC1983 said:

I think that’s what 2PC’s meant. Instead of getting rid of Barbados, St Lucia, etc that are on the Fascination’s route, they should have axed Progreso and Freeport. 

It doesn't make sense though. Every ship going out of Florida can visit Freeport. Every ship out of Galveston, New Orleans, and Mobile can go to Progreso. I believe the San Juan ship is the only one that goes to Barbados and St. Lucia. They're just too far away.

4 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

I believe the San Juan ship

is the only one that goes to Barbados and St. Lucia.

They're just too far away.

They could include (again) DOMINICA the Nature Island

on the way down to St. Lucia and Barbados

but some sort of 'bad blood' went down a few years ago...

DOM-004.jpg

DOM-1001.jpg

DOM-037.jpg

DOM-079.jpg

DOM-370.jpg

DOM-399.jpg

1 hour ago, MeganGC1983 said:

But those ports are not close enough for any port to get to in a 7-8 day run.  The 8 days are an option, but those fill up quick with Aruba, Bonaire, and Curacao.  

It all comes down to $$$, Carnival can either make more money on ships not in San Juan, or they have to wait until a different ports contract is up to move a ship back to San Juan.

An email from my local Carnival booking lady ....

Carnival is supposed to resume their Barbados sailing from January 2022

(fingers crossed) but so far they have not posted any information

on the ship or itinerary.

Hopefully we will see something soon!

2022?? - NOT very inspiring, is it?

but that's from a source close to the horse's mouth.

= A whole ruddy YEAR away! Urgghh...

2 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

It doesn't make sense though. Every ship going out of Florida can visit Freeport. Every ship out of Galveston, New Orleans, and Mobile can go to Progreso. I believe the San Juan ship is the only one that goes to Barbados and St. Lucia. They're just too far away.

Oh, I agree. I was just interpreting what they were trying to say. 

You guys need to understand what Carnival IS and what they are NOT.  Simply put, Carnival IS a mass market 7 day or less vacation company.  It's where they make their money and fill their ships.  A significant percentage of their customer base simply wants to get away somewhere warm for a week's vacation at a reasonable price point.  That's the market they serve and do it well.

If you want to explore the world, find another cruiseline.  Within the CCL family my choice would be Princess.

Edited by jsglow
1 hour ago, jsglow said:

You guys need to understand what Carnival IS and what they are NOT.  Simply put, Carnival IS a mass market 7 day or less vacation company.  It's where they make their money and fill their ships.  A significant percentage of their customer base simply wants to get away somewhere warm for a week's vacation at a reasonable price point.  That's the market they serve and do it well.

If you want to explore the world, find another cruiseline.  Within the CCL family my choice would be Princess.

We have been on Princess, and it is in fact my (and I think DW also) favorite cruise line. But, we very much did enjoy our Carnival cruise out of San Juan. And it was 7 days.

8 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

We have been on Princess, and it is in fact my (and I think DW also) favorite cruise line. But, we very much did enjoy our Carnival cruise out of San Juan. And it was 7 days.

As did I, twice as a matter of fact.  That doesn't mean that it was particularly profitable for Carnival.

Honestly, I miss the days when Carnival did 'more interesting' itineraries.  But they built a series of dedicated ports strategically placed around the Caribbean to further their 'mission' and will be pursuing that objective for the foreseeable future.  And they do it with ever larger ships designed to maximize the dollars per pax.  And they focus much of their attention on the Blue/Red cards who typically spend more than the vets.  But they do spice things up once in awhile via their Journey cruises.  Makes perfect business sense to me. 😀 

9 hours ago, jsglow said:

To be honest, if I'm trying another line, it will not be within the Carnival family.  Why start over on loyalty points when there are others that will transfer loyalty between their lines.

2 hours ago, vwrestler171 said:

To be honest, if I'm trying another line, it will not be within the Carnival family.  Why start over on loyalty points when there are others that will transfer loyalty between their lines.

Who, other than MSC, does that?

Thanks,

gary

1 hour ago, gtaylor said:

Who, other than MSC, does that?

Thanks,

gary

Maybe I misspoke, but if I am starting over, it would be with Royal Caribbean or Celebrity.  They allow your loyalty points to be shared between lines as they are sister lines.  Why continue to support Carnival Corp, when they refuse to combine loyalty programs?

1 hour ago, vwrestler171 said:

Maybe I misspoke, but if I am starting over, it would be with Royal Caribbean or Celebrity.  They allow your loyalty points to be shared between lines as they are sister lines.  Why continue to support Carnival Corp, when they refuse to combine loyalty programs?

I agree completely!

We are Diamond on Carnival, but would love some Princess cruises, where we have only one 10 day under our belt.

MSC does offer you a one-time status match shot, that we went for to receive Black/Diamond, which we have since earned on our own with 40,000 MSC points.

gary