OBC for carnival shares owners

shanni-shanni

As I understand it, they were approved for last cycle, starting mid 2020, but they are renewed annually, so given the situation, I wouldn't be surprised if they aren't renewed for the next cycle...particularly as dividends have been suspended.

May have to wait for Carnival's financial state to improve before they are renewed. 

1 minute ago, CruiserBruce said:

As I understand it, they were approved for last cycle, starting mid 2020, but they are renewed annually, so given the situation, I wouldn't be surprised if they aren't renewed for the next cycle...particularly as dividends have been suspended.

May have to wait for Carnival's financial state to improve before they are renewed. 

It will be interesting to see what happens at the shareholders’ meeting.

The Shareholders benefit has withstood a lot including 911.

I actually think they will keep it in place to encourage cruising and to keep too many shares from being dumped 😉 

Time will tell.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, kazu said:

I actually think they will keep it in place to encourage cruising and to keep too many shares from being dumped 😉 

Time will tell.

Good point.  Now that I am thinking about it, we would dump our 200 shares if both dividends and the OBC are eliminated.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, zelker said:

Yes, according to the Carnival corporate website.  As it always does each year, it shows this one good through July (this one through July 2021).  I'm sure if they had suspended it, they would take this down.

50351a91-4dc0-4f6b-bfec-684647e6129f (carnivalcorp.com)

The might not have taken it down, because its still good through July 2021...and they aren't sailing currently, so nothing lost. But when the shareholders meet in February (I think its Feb, maybe March) they will decide on July 2021-22.

As opposed to dividends, which are paid quarterly, so they needed to take action to suspend them.

• Like 1

Dividends are from earnings, which at the moment there are none. The shareholders OBC is a marketing tool. There is no reason to discontinue it; in fact doing so would be counterproductive at a time they need to lure passengers back.

• Like 7

I submitted a request for OBC for a September cruise (knowing it was a bit early) and someone from the World Cruise Reservation department phoned and said I should resubmit the request in April after they renew the OBC benefit.

• Thanks 1

Hubby bought 125 shares earlier this year when they tanked....I think it was $8.00 per share?  We have a Southern Caribbean cruise on the Rotterdam booked for December 2021....Hope they're still offering it, as I'd love to have $100. OBC!!

L.

51 minutes ago, leerathje said:

Hubby bought 125 shares earlier this year when they tanked....I think it was $8.00 per share? 

If normality returns, this may be an extremely wise investment.  But, then, your husband will "kick himself" by asking "why didn't I buy more?"  I experienced such a situation in 2009 when the cruise line shares tanked and I re-invested in RCI.  Even with the current situation, I am still above water on those shares.  

3 hours ago, kazu said:

This could be a shareholders meeting that would be of great interest to attend.  If it is not held virtually.   Where is this next one going to be?  The U. S. or the U. K.?  Some time ago, I attended a CCL Shareholders Meeting in Coral Gables that was a most interesting and pleasant experience.  Few individual shareholders, but we were all treated with great respect, provided an excellent continental breakfast prior to the meeting, and were able to have conversations with some Board Members as well as with Mr. Arison and Mr. Cruise.  It re-affirmed my belief that I had made an investment in a quality Company.  

3 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

If normality returns, this may be an extremely wise investment.  But, then, your husband will "kick himself" by asking "why didn't I buy more?"  I experienced such a situation in 2009 when the cruise line shares tanked and I re-invested in RCI.  Even with the current situation, I am still above water on those shares.  

No kicking ourselves....we only had $1500. CAD, and that 125 used up almost about all of it. 

L.

• Like 1

CCL’s balance sheet has changed significantly over the last nine months.  Tens of billions in debt and tens of millions of new shares issued.  What happens to the shareholder credit is anyone’s guess but I would not be surprised if they suspend it.  I am curious what the dollars rewarded annually under this program total?  That cost versus the market impact of suspension will be interesting.

5 hours ago, kazu said:

Time will tell.

Don’t think 9/11 is a good comparison.  While tragic, it was a one time event of short duration.  The pandemic has totally stopped cruising for a year (as of 3/21) and caused the company to massively alter its balance sheet.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

Don’t think 9/11 is a good comparison.  While tragic, it was a one time event of short duration.  The pandemic has totally stopped cruising for a year (as of 3/21) and caused the company to massively alter its balance sheet.

You’re right - it’s not the same but...

A lot of people were nervous to travel after 911.  Cruise prices dropped exponentially and ships were not full (at least not the one I was on).  CCL kept the OBC.  They wanted to encourage people to sail.

I think they will keep it to incentivize and encourage people to sail.  Of course, I could be wrong, I have been before. 😉 

Time will tell.

My main reason for buying the stock was for the OBC admittedly.  I’ve never looked at it as an investment and been repaid well in OBC.  If CCL decides to cancel that benefit, I’ll sell my stock at the appropriate time.  I am pretty sure I won’t be the only one.

• Like 1

Just now, leerathje said:

I'm curious...how often can you use the OBC?  Is it once a year? I read the info sheet from Carnival, but it doesn't say....

L.

As often as you have a cruise booked.  I don’t cruise as much as some but one year, I used it 3 times. 😉 for 3 different cruises.

10 hours ago, leerathje said:

I'm curious...how often can you use the OBC?  Is it once a year? I read the info sheet from Carnival, but it doesn't say....

L.

Use 5/6 times per year on Cunard, mostly for b2b’s
As it was cost effective, even chopped up our QM WC 2021 into separate voyages (same stateroom) to gain additional OBC for Cunard Fare and. Shareholder Benefit,  but WC was cancelled.

2022 WC on QV was not cost effective, just awaiting 2023 WC releases to do the Spreadsheet Math.

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Typo