33 minutes ago, sfaaa said:

Land vacation is always an option except hotels, airlines and restaurants all need to recoup their big losses from the pandemic lock down. Raising prices across the board may be the new normal going forward.

I got a land air and sea offer for the Galapagos for 10 days over 50% off, pick a date before the end of 2022. Certainly tempting as that's on my bucket list but with 9 cruises I'm already juggling, but there are land vacations now with deep discounts. 

Once people stop getting cancelled and have the $600 obc bonus, prices could easily drop last minute to fill ships. Lots I know who dont cruise arent going to book with covid out there. I just got unlucky to pick a popular date, no price drops probably for me. I notice cheers on us doesnt allow price drops like early saver after final payment. Locks people in with non refundable deposit. 

If some good last minute deals come along...I'm there, otherwise what I have is enough.

49 minutes ago, sfaaa said:

Land vacation is always an option except hotels, airlines and restaurants all need to recoup their big losses from the pandemic lock down. Raising prices across the board may be the new normal going forward.

Possibly, but they have to keep in mind that there is a ceiling for an awful lot of people and they can only raise their prices so high. Vacationing is still a luxury. 

1 minute ago, sparks1093 said:

Possibly, but they have to keep in mind that there is a ceiling for an awful lot of people and they can only raise their prices so high. Vacationing is still a luxury. 

Agree. We are the fortunate ones.

I think you have plenty of time to book. No sense in having money/credit tied up at this time IMO. I thought we'd be going gang busters pumping out the vaccine to get the country revving again but at the current vaccine rate, it would take about five years to vaccinate every American. Unless there is a radical shift in vaccine availability within the next 30-60 days I wouldn't feel confidant until early 2022. If my April 2021 is cancelled I'm opting for a refund most definitely to reduce exposure. I already have a 2022 booked and want to keep my exposure/risk to a minimum. Too much uncertainty/unknowns at this point. Reality based decisions are better than conjecture and speculation based decisions right now IMO. Personally, I'd wait until there is more clarity.

3 hours ago, cruisingguy007 said:

I think you have plenty of time to book. No sense in having money/credit tied up at this time IMO. I thought we'd be going gang busters pumping out the vaccine to get the country revving again but at the current vaccine rate, it would take about five years to vaccinate every American. Unless there is a radical shift in vaccine availability within the next 30-60 days I wouldn't feel confidant until early 2022. If my April 2021 is cancelled I'm opting for a refund most definitely to reduce exposure. I already have a 2022 booked and want to keep my exposure/risk to a minimum. Too much uncertainty/unknowns at this point. Reality based decisions are better than conjecture and speculation based decisions right now IMO. Personally, I'd wait until there is more clarity.

shameful having over 11 million vaccine shots shipped and only a little over 2 million administered.

Like you said, at this rate it's going to take forever.

7 hours ago, cruisingguy007 said:

If my April 2021 is cancelled I'm opting for a refund most definitely to reduce exposure. I already have a 2022 booked and want to keep my exposure/risk to a minimum. Too much uncertainty/unknowns at this point. Reality based decisions are better than conjecture and speculation based decisions right now IMO. Personally, I'd wait until there is more clarity.

So, what you're saying is that you want to keep your exposure and risk to a minimum, but at the same time implying that if your April 2021 sailing actually sails you'll be on it. Seems like the fact that you may have a NRD will trump the exposure risk you're worried about. 

Edited by SNJCruisers
7 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

So, what you're saying is that you want to keep your exposure and risk to a minimum, but at the same time implying that if your April 2021 sailing actually sails you'll be on it. Seems like the fact that you may have a NRD will trump the exposure risk you're worried about. 

I think he is talking about money risk, he doesnt want to have too much money on the line exposed to risk. He said if cancelled he has already booked for 2022 so will take the refund if april 2021 gets cancelled.

I would too if my April 2021 wasnt on a cancelled credit card. I changed banks. I still am not sure what I'll do tbh. I can understand what the poster means. I dont think when he uses the word exposure he means getting sick, I think he means giving carnival a no interest loan when we dont know when carnival will restart.

I could be wrong what he means but that how I read his post.

I still think some might cancel and within final payment periods there could be some pack n go rates to jump on ...but when I have no idea. When they find out 3 covid tests and masks, not everyone on cc knows, there could be some last minute deals. 

I’m always in the book now camp, especially if the deposit is refundable. For me, once I decide on a cruise, that deposit money is already allocated. So it (my deposit) doesn’t stress me out not knowing if it will sail or not. Now whether I want to sink more money into that specific cruise as the final payment draws near and the uncertainty of cruising remains is different. Like I took a cancellation penalty on a RCL cruise deposit because I didn’t want to spend the outstanding $2000 on a cruise I didn’t think was going to sail. I moved my remaining deposit to a different RCL cruise but used a TA so they could negotiate my not having to put cash down while the cruise credit refund was pending. 

13 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

Firefly33 was correct. I'm referring to money exposure/risk. 

DW and I were discussing the Bermuda cruise that was cancelled because of COVID and decided to try to find one late in the season to make it up. We booked the Legend for 11/14/21. We took the $500 obc offer. If we haven't received vaccines by final payment then we'll have a decision to make.