If I "Lift and Shift" a March 2021 cruise to March 2020 can I cancel later without penalty and receive FCC?

4minimark

My family is currently booked on Symphony in March 2021.  Pretty sure this is going to cancel in the next couple of weeks (and I probably would need to cancel anyway as I am high risk for Covid and would prefer to wait until vaccinated)  so I am looking to L&S to March 2022.  I would prefer to L&S rather than cancel for FCC now as the fares have gone up significantly for 2022.  The problem is our son's spring break week for 2022 has not yet been published.  If I lift and shift and then find out in a couple of months that we cant travel the selected week in 2022, can I then cancel and get FCC for my non-refundable deposit fare?

Thanks for any advice you can provide.

2 minutes ago, 4minimark said:

My family is currently booked on Symphony in March 2021.  Pretty sure this is going to cancel in the next couple of weeks (and I probably would need to cancel anyway as I am high risk for Covid and would prefer to wait until vaccinated)  so I am looking to L&S to March 2022.  I would prefer to L&S rather than cancel for FCC now as the fares have gone up significantly for 2022.  The problem is our son's spring break week for 2022 has not yet been published.  If I lift and shift and then find out in a couple of months that we cant travel the selected week in 2022, can I then cancel and get FCC for my non-refundable deposit fare?

Thanks for any advice you can provide.

If you cancel after a lift and shift you would forfeit any penalties that are in place.

2 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

If you cancel after a lift and shift you would forfeit any penalties that are in place.

I thought he could cancel anything booked by the end of January and get a fcc with a one year expiration? as long as he cancels before final payment for the 2022 cruise?

I thought that was a way people were extending fcc.

3 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I thought he could cancel anything booked by the end of January and get a fcc with a one year expiration? as long as he cancels before final payment for the 2022 cruise?

I thought that was a way people were extending fcc.

Not after having done a lift and shift. 

41. My client’s existing reservation has reached the Final Payment due date and currently resides within the cancellation penalty period. Is my client still able to Lift & Shift?
Absolutely! If all required criteria are met, your client can opt to Lift & Shift to a qualifying future sail date. If the original sailing was subject to cancellation charges (as determined on the day the booking is moved), the cancellation charges incurred based on the prior cancellation schedule will follow the booking to the new sailing. Assuming that your client sails as planned, there is no impact. However, if the guest subsequently cancels his or her booking on the later sailing, the cancellation charges to be assessed will be the cancellation charges incurred: (i) under the original booking’s cancellation schedule; or (ii) under the cancellation schedule for the later sailing, whichever is greater.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

9 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Not after having done a lift and shift. 

41. My client’s existing reservation has reached the Final Payment due date and currently resides within the cancellation penalty period. Is my client still able to Lift & Shift?
Absolutely! If all required criteria are met, your client can opt to Lift & Shift to a qualifying future sail date. If the original sailing was subject to cancellation charges (as determined on the day the booking is moved), the cancellation charges incurred based on the prior cancellation schedule will follow the booking to the new sailing. Assuming that your client sails as planned, there is no impact. However, if the guest subsequently cancels his or her booking on the later sailing, the cancellation charges to be assessed will be the cancellation charges incurred: (i) under the original booking’s cancellation schedule; or (ii) under the cancellation schedule for the later sailing, whichever is greater.

I read that and can you translate. So I have a march 2022 cruise. If I cancel BEFORE final payment, can I move the deposit as a fcc to another booking. 

I thought I read you could before final payment. All that about prior cancellation schedule .. it was lifted before final payment, so dont understand about prior following if booked during the cwc window.

Sorry, since I dont know what the prior schedule means ... can you say it another way so I understand please.

2 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I read that and can you translate. So I have a march 2022 cruise. If I cancel BEFORE final payment, can I move the deposit as a fcc to another booking. 

I thought I read you could before final payment. All that about prior cancellation schedule .. it was lifted before final payment, so dont understand about prior following if booked during the cwc window.

Sorry, since I dont know what the prior schedule means ... can you say it another way so I understand please.

If you lift and shift a cruise and then subsequently cancel it you will pay any penalties that are in place at the time of cancellation.

if you had a NRD and shift  if before final and subsequently cancel before final payment  you will pay the $100pp penalty.

if you shift a cruise after final payment and then cancel you will pay the penalties that you would have paid had you not shifted the cruise. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

If you lift and shift a cruise and then subsequently cancel it you will pay any penalties that are in place at the time of cancellation.

if you had a NRD and shift  if before final and subsequently cancel before final payment  you will pay the $100pp penalty.

if you shift a cruise after final payment and then cancel you will pay the penalties that you would have paid had you not shifted the cruise. 

Is that even if you cancel the shifted booking under CWC? If you cancelled under CWC before final payment you would lose the deposit and not get a FCC?  Booking was never in penalty phase

Edited by molly361

7 minutes ago, molly361 said:

Is that even if you cancel the shifted booking under CWC? If you cancelled under CWC before final payment you would lose the deposit and not get a FCC?

Once a booking is shifted it apparently no longer falls under CWC.

You would lose the $100pp NRD fee and get an FCC for the balance is how I read this. It really has not yet been tested to see how it is applied In practice.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

15 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Once a booking is shifted it apparently no longer falls under CWC.

You would lose the $100pp NRD fee and get an FCC for the balance is how I read this. It really has not yet been tested to see how it is applied In practice.

Not liking that.  When I was busy L and S'ing I thought it was no harm no foul. Even booked them as nonrefundable which I normally don't do figuring you would  get a FCC   So any L and S bookings then basically no longer qualify for CWC I guess

Edited by molly361

7 minutes ago, molly361 said:

Not liking that.  When I was busy L and S'ing I thought it was no harm no foul. Even booked them as nonrefundable which I normally don't do figuring you would  get a FCC   So any L and S bookings then basically no longer qualify for CWC

That's how I understood it as well. This is new information.

I'd swear I read a good way to extend a fcc was to lift and shift it to april 2022 then cancel before final payment, then you would get a fcc good for a year from the date you cancelled .. so this is a change from what I previously read. Agree with you.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

That's how I understood it as well. This is new information.

I'd swear I read a good way to extend a fcc was to lift and shift it to april 2022 then cancel before final payment, then you would get a fcc good for a year from the date you cancelled .. so this is a change from what I previously read. Agree with you.

The way to extend an FCC was to create a new booking for April 2022

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, molly361 said:

Not liking that.  When I was busy L and S'ing I thought it was no harm no foul. Even booked them as nonrefundable which I normally don't do figuring you would  get a FCC   So any L and S bookings then basically no longer qualify for CWC I guess

Like I said I’m not 100% certain it’s just how I’m reading this one clause in the FAQ’s

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

I think others will be surprised that there is a $100 change penalty if booked with csc and lifted it. 

If you get a chance maybe you could check, as I was thinking of doing this.

I would be one of those who is surprised.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So if I am understanding this correctly, it seems like once you lift and shift the reservation converts to a regular booking without any of the protections of the original reservation?? Does this also mean if there is a price drop on the subsequent cruise after final payment that you can't get the reduction in the form of OBC?

It states so on the invoice. For example, I have a L&S to Harmony for Jan 22. The invoice states “The booking is currently subject to USD 700.00 cancellation penalties at time of booking invoice 07 Jul 2020. This amount may increase based on the cruise penalty schedule. “. 
How they derive $700 I’m not sure. 
I’m assuming $200 L&S fees and $500 deposit. 

Edited by HicksRA
  • Thanks 1

So is this still true or not for a cruise I  L & S for a September 2021 cruise? under the CWC. Did this L& S back in the spring.

Booking is still cancellable up to 48 hours before sailing September 21st 2021. If canceled at that time you will recieve a FCC for the entire amount of the cruise to use later. No penalities?

Still true or did RCCL change up their rules as to how this works?

Edited by Jimbo

16 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

So is this still true or not for a cruise I  L & S for a September 2021 cruise? under the CWC. Did this L& S back in the spring.

Booking is still cancellable up to 48 hours before sailing September 21st 2021. If canceled at that time you will recieve a FCC for the entire amount of the cruise to use later. No penalities?

Still true or did RCCL change up their rules as to how this works?

I believe that the term that @Ourusualbeach quoted from their FAQ is new or at least was not there a few months ago.

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

So if I am understanding this correctly, it seems like once you lift and shift the reservation converts to a regular booking without any of the protections of the original reservation?? Does this also mean if there is a price drop on the subsequent cruise after final payment that you can't get the reduction in the form of OBC?

this is under the current faq's 

Extended Cruise with Confidence - Loyal To You Always

PLUS…

• • Lift & Shift your clients who simply wish to move their existing reservation to next year, protecting their original cruise fare & promotion. It’s simple— select a qualifying sailing in the future, fill out the automated form on CruisingPower.com, and we’ll handle the rest.• Book your clients on or before January 31, 2021 and they’ll also be eligible to take advantage of our Best Price Guarantee up to 48-hours prior to sailing, ensuring the best deal!
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, irishgal432 said:

this is under the current faq's 

Extended Cruise with Confidence - Loyal To You Always

PLUS…

• • Lift & Shift your clients who simply wish to move their existing reservation to next year, protecting their original cruise fare & promotion. It’s simple— select a qualifying sailing in the future, fill out the automated form on CruisingPower.com, and we’ll handle the rest.• Book your clients on or before January 31, 2021 and they’ll also be eligible to take advantage of our Best Price Guarantee up to 48-hours prior to sailing, ensuring the best deal!

That covers the price drop part.  Hopefully the other part of CWC will also apply. 

Edited by Ourusualbeach