Cruise ships to ban "scooters" going forward?

kevingastreich

Today, a popular video blogger was detailing how the Cruise Lines are attempting to get cruising started as soon as possible and in the safest manner possible.  One of the ideas put forward by the Cruise Lines to the CDC was the "temporary" elimination of mobility scooters, walkers and wheelchairs etc.  The thinking is that they are hard to keep clean and they interfere with staff who are already over worked trying to keep the ship clean and Covid free. I applaud the creative thinking but I'm sure some people will object.

If the CDC has jurisdiction over a given cruise, then the cruise line may also have some responsibility under the ADA. I know the cruise lines don't have to comply with every aspect of the ADA, but they might not be able to ban mobility devices. 

Certainly that's a big consideration. 

• Like 2

Where  did this come from ?  I can  only imagine the uproar & backlash in social media if the cruise lines tried to ban mobility devices . How about those who make a cruise ship their homes vs assisted living  land dwellings . Imo ,that would be cruel & in human treatment & a huge  directive against ADA  legislature 

1 hour ago, KirkNC said:

That would certainly impact a number of HAL clients.  They can get around ADA if they can demonstrate that they create a safety hazard.

Mobility devices have been on cruise ships for years upon years ,That is the test of time for mobility devices . The vaccines will ultimately  take care of this virus .

Why bother getting excited over what some video blocker is saying????

I believe that cruises are a long way from starting up again.  Why not wait until then and find out what the real situation is.  

Seems to me that it is much ado about nothing.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, iancal said:

Why bother getting excited over what some video blocker is saying????

I believe that cruises are a long way from starting up again.  Why not wait until then and find out what the real situation is.  

Seems to me that it is much ado about nothing.

Totally agree.  +1

• Like 2

The scooter issue has sometimes inflamed passions both for and against.  But they are a godsend for many who have mobility issues.  That being said there are already some cruise lines such as VIking Ocean that have banned motorized scooters.  

Hank

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, kevingastreich said:

Today, a popular video blogger was detailing how the Cruise Lines are attempting to get cruising started as soon as possible and in the safest manner possible.  One of the ideas put forward by the Cruise Lines to the CDC was the "temporary" elimination of mobility scooters, walkers and wheelchairs etc. 

Well, truth be told, if a person uses these devices due to age or health, they probably shouldn't be rushing to cruise anyways.  That's just the harsh reality.  Actually, none of us should be rushing for that matter.  

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

The scooter issue has sometimes inflamed passions both for and against.  But they are a godsend for many who have mobility issues.  That being said there are already some cruise lines such as VIking Ocean that have banned motorized scooters.  

Hank

I knew Viking had a minimum age of 18 but did not realize they had banned scooters.  That should kill the ADA violation argument.

13 hours ago, kevingastreich said:

Today, a popular video blogger was detailing how the Cruise Lines are attempting to get cruising started as soon as possible and in the safest manner possible.  One of the ideas put forward by the Cruise Lines to the CDC was the "temporary" elimination of mobility scooters, walkers and wheelchairs etc.  The thinking is that they are hard to keep clean and they interfere with staff who are already over worked trying to keep the ship clean and Covid free. I applaud the creative thinking but I'm sure some people will object.

They should first ban these 'emotional support' animals, much more important.

• Like 9

I'm assuming this blogger is the same guy who has continued to espouse the theory that cruise lines will only be allowed to use balcony cabins going forward and those booked in insides and oceanviews will have their bookings cancelled.  He also wants to sell you merch and stock tips.  He's a scaremonger who's looking to make money off hits to his videos with alarmist clickbait titles to draw folks in.  I find him to have little to no credibility and have blocked his videos.

There has been ZERO chatter about travel restrictions related to guests who use mobility devices.  That said we may see more staff enforce storage/parking requirements of them in future and/or be less able to physically assist guests using them for contact health/safety reasons.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

I'm assuming this blogger is the same guy who has continued to espouse the theory that cruise lines will only be allowed to use balcony cabins going forward and those booked in insides and oceanviews will have their bookings cancelled.  He also wants to sell you merch and stock tips.  He's a scaremonger who's looking to make money off hits to his videos with alarmist clickbait titles to draw folks in.  I find him to have little to no credibility and have blocked his videos.

Thanks for the comment.  Yet another reason as to why I stay away from FB.

I don't need to be 'Influenced' as I am dangerous enough on my own!

Edited by VMax1700
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

Thanks for the comment.  Yet another reason as to why I stay away from FB.

I don't need to be 'Influenced' as I am dangerous enough on my own!

I've never followed the guy on FB, and I'm not a big FB user to begin with.  I had watched his videos on YouTube before he went OTT with the sensationalism - I have subsequently blocked him.

3 hours ago, KirkNC said:

I knew Viking had a minimum age of 18 but did not realize they had banned scooters.  That should kill the ADA violation argument.

I am not positive but think that VIking always banned scooters from day 1.   They explain it as a safety issue.  I would imagine that they will eventually be sued in a US court.  Here is the actual text pasted from Viking Ocean's FAQs:

"Guests who have a disability, physical or otherwise, must travel with an able-bodied companion who can assist them as the staff is not permitted to lift guests or push wheelchairs. Guests need to provide their own wheelchairs, except in an emergency. Wheelchairs must not exceed 22" in width. For details regarding bringing a wheelchair on board, guest must complete the Accessibility Form and return to Viking no later than 30 days prior to departure. Motorized scooters are not typically suitable for international cruises and cannot be accommodated. While our ocean vessels have elevators, there may still be thresholds that could make movement difficult."

It is an interesting policy that would seem to run afoul of the ADA.  The US Supreme Court (6-3 decision) has already ruled that the ADA applies to foreign cruise ships in American waters although the issue of "reasonable accommodations" is still an open question.  

Hank

• Like 1

Motorized scooters aren't allowed on European river cruises.  Any kind of mobility device can become a problem on those cruises.  Don't know about cruises on US rivers.  I wonder if Viking will have to allow them on their Mississippi River cruises.  

9 hours ago, Hlitner said:

I am not positive but think that VIking always banned scooters from day 1.   They explain it as a safety issue.  I would imagine that they will eventually be sued in a US court.  Here is the actual text pasted from Viking Ocean's FAQs:

"Guests who have a disability, physical or otherwise, must travel with an able-bodied companion who can assist them as the staff is not permitted to lift guests or push wheelchairs. Guests need to provide their own wheelchairs, except in an emergency. Wheelchairs must not exceed 22" in width. For details regarding bringing a wheelchair on board, guest must complete the Accessibility Form and return to Viking no later than 30 days prior to departure. Motorized scooters are not typically suitable for international cruises and cannot be accommodated. While our ocean vessels have elevators, there may still be thresholds that could make movement difficult."

It is an interesting policy that would seem to run afoul of the ADA.  The US Supreme Court (6-3 decision) has already ruled that the ADA applies to foreign cruise ships in American waters although the issue of "reasonable accommodations" is still an open question.  

Hank

Hank by Viking taking  imo a harsh  line toward mobility scooters   ,they immediately rule out   a small but ever growing segment of the cruise market  . Yes ,they can be challenged in a court of law ;because what they contend ias not reasonable  . The question is how many incidents of pax being ryn over by scooters . I need one & I have researched  imo the ideal scooter .It is small ,folds up ,made of very strong aircraft aluminum  with a pre approved aircraft lithium  battery , This  scooter weighs  54 lbs & can be wheeled just like a piece of luggage , with a 7 lb lithium batter on level ground with fully charged get 30 miles

It is going to be quite interesting about the new Viking river boat set to daul in 2021 or 2022 on the Mississippi River  .Imo ,this will be the test for the enforcement of the ADA in  Federal court . I suspect Viking to loose .  There harsh stand as is now will certainly not gain them public support in the peoples court of opinions 

4 hours ago, Roz said:

Motorized scooters aren't allowed on European river cruises.  Any kind of mobility device can become a problem on those cruises.  Don't know about cruises on US rivers.  I wonder if Viking will have to allow them on their Mississippi River cruises.  

Do you know that for sure ;as we did see 2 on Avalon  waterways