potential new roadblock for cruising overseas

Read this on an airline blog I follow:

The U.S. government has been in discussion with airlines this week about imposing a 72-hour testing requirement on passengers traveling to the United States, similar to the requirement put in place for travel to the U.S. from the U.K. this week.

This would also apply to Americans who are traveling abroad and returning home. So if you are on a cruise that ends in a foreign country and you will fly home after the cruise, you would need to find a place there to get a covid test 72 hours before you board the plane. Depending on the country you are in that could be very difficult to almost almost impossible. This will add days to a cruise vacation overseas. Who wants to spend the last 3 days of their vacation running around trying to get a covid test? Not me. If such a requirement comes to pass then I will be cancelling all of my overseas vacations including a September Baltic cruise on Marina.

1 hour ago, susiesan said:

Read this on an airline blog I follow:

The U.S. government has been in discussion with airlines this week about imposing a 72-hour testing requirement on passengers traveling to the United States, similar to the requirement put in place for travel to the U.S. from the U.K. this week.

This would also apply to Americans who are traveling abroad and returning home. So if you are on a cruise that ends in a foreign country and you will fly home after the cruise, you would need to find a place there to get a covid test 72 hours before you board the plane. Depending on the country you are in that could be very difficult to almost almost impossible. This will add days to a cruise vacation overseas. Who wants to spend the last 3 days of their vacation running around trying to get a covid test? Not me. If such a requirement comes to pass then I will be cancelling all of my overseas vacations including a September Baltic cruise on Marina.

Can I ask why you are worried about 9 months from now when we dont know what tomorrow will bring..I have 2 kids with Covid one in the hospital..next year will be different every day!!

Lets wait and see, no one knows what will happen!!

Jancruz1

45 minutes ago, Jancruz said:

Can I ask why you are worried about 9 months from now when we dont know what tomorrow will bring..I have 2 kids with Covid one in the hospital..next year will be different every day!!

Jancruz1

🙏 to you and your family for a better New Year and a healthy recovery for your children. 

Canada effective January 4th requires a negative COVID test within 72 hours before boarding a plane to Canada.  The unfortunate  part is you will be still required to isolate for 14 days upon arrival even with a negative test.

I suspect there will be no Alaska cruises unless the US government  changes the US Jones Act in 2021.

Edited by GICNJC
Spelling error
1 hour ago, Jancruz said:

Jancruz1

Oh Jan

sorry to hear

Hope they make a speedy recovery

Happy New Year to you & Stu

Stay well

Lyn

2 hours ago, Jancruz said:

Jancruz1

Oh dear, Jan. So sorry to hear about your two kids.  I hope they are improving and will be back on their feet soon.

2 hours ago, Jancruz said:

Jancruz1

Jan, very sorry to read this; I hope for their complete and speedy recovery.

Happy Better New Year 2021 to Jan and all my fellow Oceania cruisers. 

Wishing Jancruz’s children the best.

As to the OP, don’t you imagine that proof of an approved Covid vaccination will soon replace the Covid test? I’m fairly sure that directive will change by summer as a larger percentage of the population becomes immunized.

5 hours ago, Jancruz said:

Jancruz1

That's so sad. I hope it wasn't from your Thanksgiving get together.

2 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Wishing Jancruz’s children the best.

As to the OP, don’t you imagine that proof of an approved Covid vaccination will soon replace the Covid test? I’m fairly sure that directive will change by summer as a larger percentage of the population becomes immunized.

I would hope that proof of vaccination would suffice for having a negative covid test done, but many people will not have been vaccinated for a long time even by summer. I am more concerned about the possibility of having to get tested before returning home as it would impact my scheduled vacation in Namibia in May. We will be on a safari and off in very remote locations. It would be impossible to get a test there before returning to the US. 

Right now, all the tests required by various countries are not the fast tests but the invasive PCR test where the results have to be sent to a lab and you have to wait days for the results. Cruise ships will not be equipped to do this test, they would only be doing the rapid one which is not acceptable. 

I believe any plans before at least 7/1 are going to be highly suspect for either cancellation or very inconvenient travel. Plan accordingly. 

Travel to and from foreign destinations from the USA in May 2021 may, if possible, not be practical. Plan accordingly.

Jan,

Your cruising friends wish only the best for your family. May 2021 indeed prove to b a healthier and better year. Thinking only good thoughts for your children................

1 hour ago, alcpa1 said:

Jan,

Your cruising friends wish only the best for your family. May 2021 indeed prove to b a healthier and better year. Thinking only good thoughts for your children................

Amen - As a mother whose son recently recovered from CoVID, I know how worried you must be.  Praying for speedy recovery & healthier 2021.

2 hours ago, susiesan said:

Right now, all the tests required by various countries are not the fast tests but the invasive PCR test where the results have to be sent to a lab and you have to wait days for the results. Cruise ships will not be equipped to do this test, they would only be doing the rapid one which is not acceptable. 

The CDC info for UK travelers coming into the US says that either a molecular test (NAAT or PCR) or an antigen test is okay:

When do I need to get a test to travel from the UK to the US? And what kind of test do I need?

Get tested no more than 3 days before your flight to the US from the UK departs. Make sure to be tested with a viral test (NAAT or antigen test) to determine if you are currently infected with COVID-19. Also make sure that you receive your results before your flight departs and have documentation of your results to show the airline.

Also, the "Framework" released by the CDC to guide cruise ships on returning to active cruising specifies that point-of-care laboratory testing of passengers must be available onboard:

image.thumb.png.e9a1fe4f27cecd491b02cff5de2c8e70.png

I am amused by the angst about testing if one is asymptomatic. The test is merely a snapshot in time.  You could be infected and not shedding the virus yet.   Even after a negative test you still have to wear a mask when conditions indicate or when required.  So what is the value of testing?  It's the same as stores and other businesses wiping down every surface in sight.  It's all theater.  If you are showing signs of the symptoms, don't waste time in line for a test - get your hiney to an ER.

The only real solution is to require vaccinations now that they are being rolled out.  Proof of vaccinations should be required for employees and customers of businesses, entertainment venues, transportation, etc.  It's the only way to protect ourselves against others who may be infected - as with smallpox, measles, mumps, polio, yellow fever, etc.

As for those who won't take the vaccine, Darwin will take care of them.

Sorry if this sounds harsh, but I was trained in public health and managed a travel immunization clinic at a medium-sized agency with staff who traveled wordlwide.  I dealt with the aftermath of people who refused recommended vaccines and then became ill while traveling.  I lobbied for travel immunizations to be a condition of employment, but the agency head did not want to take on the snowflake/anti-vaxers.

Get the vaccine when you can! Please.

41 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

I am amused by the angst about testing if one is asymptomatic. The test is merely a snapshot in time.  You could be infected and not shedding the virus yet.   Even after a negative test you still have to wear a mask when conditions indicate or when required.  So what is the value of testing?  It's the same as stores and other businesses wiping down every surface in sight.  It's all theater.  If you are showing signs of the symptoms, don't waste time in line for a test - get your hiney to an ER.

The only real solution is to require vaccinations now that they are being rolled out.  Proof of vaccinations should be required for employees and customers of businesses, entertainment venues, transportation, etc.  It's the only way to protect ourselves against others who may be infected - as with smallpox, measles, mumps, polio, yellow fever, etc.

As for those who won't take the vaccine, Darwin will take care of them.

Sorry if this sounds harsh, but I was trained in public health and managed a travel immunization clinic at a medium-sized agency with staff who traveled wordlwide.  I dealt with the aftermath of people who refused recommended vaccines and then became ill while traveling.  I lobbied for travel immunizations to be a condition of employment, but the agency head did not want to take on the snowflake/anti-vaxers.

Get the vaccine when you can! Please.

Hear, Hear.   Absolutely right in every way......

with the new strain in the UK & Africa   spreading to other countries  I do not see travel happening anytime soon

If you know you will require a test to board a flight  then make arrangements ahead of time  for

extra hotel stays..cost to get the test Etc or stay home

JMO

13 hours ago, pinotlover said:

I believe any plans before at least 7/1 are going to be highly suspect for either cancellation or very inconvenient travel. Plan accordingly. 

Travel to and from foreign destinations from the USA in May 2021 may, if possible, not be practical. Plan accordingly.

I have already changed the dates  of this trip twice, may have to postpone again. I have a $1000 deposit into it that is not refundable but the Namibian TA is working with clients to postpone and keep their safaris at the same price as long as they can. I can easily change the flights as they are award tickets. 

I am monitoring the situation in Namibia daily. They just changed their entry covid test requirement to 7 days before entering the country from 72 hours, which is a more realistic time frame.

5 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

Show us your papers before you can pass. Sound familiar? Wasn't a world war fought over this?

Not going to happen, not I the US.

It will be interesting to see how countries which currently have very strict border controls react to allowing vaccinated travellers to enter.

I think many of those countries will continue with those restrictions whether travellers are vaccinated or not.

Only when a large percentage of their own population is vaccinated will controls be eased.

This will take most of 2021.

As the new more contagious strain spreads throughout  UK, Europe & the US, I can see travel restrictions increasing over the next few months.

I can see how this will be necessary in order to limit non-essential travel as more and more local health authorities struggle to cope. 

2021 will remain a year of global health transition, not a year of global tourist travel.