Jump to content

Will we have to use ship’s excursions when sailing starts again?


Recommended Posts

We are hoping to sail on an Enchanted 7 night Med cruise in June. What are the chances we will be required to book ship’s excursions if we want to leave the ship? I have looked at what’s available, and they are very expensive- especially since we are visiting such small ports with nothing we want to see. We would cancel except for it being our granddaughter’s graduation trip. And if you wonder why we booked such a crummy cruise- we didn’t. This is one of the cruises that Princess changed to round trip Rome.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, tillys mom said:

We are hoping to sail on an Enchanted 7 night Med cruise in June. What are the chances we will be required to book ship’s excursions if we want to leave the ship? I have looked at what’s available, and they are very expensive- especially since we are visiting such small ports with nothing we want to see. We would cancel except for it being our granddaughter’s graduation trip. And if you wonder why we booked such a crummy cruise- we didn’t. This is one of the cruises that Princess changed to round trip Rome.

Who knows ?  However I really doubt much cruising will happen until we get a lot of people vaccinated and I do believe that adults will be required to show proof of vaccination before being allowed on ships

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, memoak said:

However I really doubt much cruising

how much is "much" ?

 

Princess now has about 90 days or so before its' first scheduled cruises in April, 2021

 

is another round of cancellations coming sooner or later ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, tillys mom said:

We are hoping to sail on an Enchanted 7 night Med cruise in June. What are the chances we will be required to book ship’s excursions if we want to leave the ship? I have looked at what’s available, and they are very expensive- especially since we are visiting such small ports with nothing we want to see. We would cancel except for it being our granddaughter’s graduation trip. And if you wonder why we booked such a crummy cruise- we didn’t. This is one of the cruises that Princess changed to round trip Rome.

 

If I was a betting man, I would bet that you will have to do bubble tours.  That is if you even get to do the cruise at all.  Would your granddaughter understand if you delayed the graduation tour for a year?

 

DON

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, voljeep said:

how much is "much" ?

 

Princess now has about 90 days or so before its' first scheduled cruises in April, 2021

 

is another round of cancellations coming sooner or later ?

crystal.jpg.cbd5ab3c58eba28ff805263d42d8cd13.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, memoak said:

Who knows ?  However I really doubt much cruising will happen until we get a lot of people vaccinated and I do believe that adults will be required to show proof of vaccination before being allowed on ships

If vaccination proof will be required, the industry may not restart for years ... at the current pace, do the math.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, pms4104 said:

If vaccination proof will be required, the industry may not restart for years ... at the current pace, do the math.

hoping that the majority of the Princess demographic will be able to be vaccinated by 3/31/21, if so desired

 

hopefully my wife and I will be vaccinated ( first shot ) in a couple of weeks

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, voljeep said:

hoping that the majority of the Princess demographic will be able to be vaccinated by 3/31/21, if so desired

 

hopefully my wife and I will be vaccinated ( first shot ) in a couple of weeks

You must be very high in the food chain ...

14 million doses sent to states and territories ...

Less than 3 million administered in 2 weeks ...

That is only the first dose.

 

And in other parts of the world?

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, pms4104 said:

You must be very high in the food chain ...

14 million doses sent to states and territories ...

Less than 3 million administered in 2 weeks ...

That is only the first dose.

 

And in other parts of the world?

she's in frontline healthcare ( yes, she got the Princess OBC for that ) and I'm a spouse, and "elderly"

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, pms4104 said:

You must be very high in the food chain ...

14 million doses sent to states and territories ...

Less than 3 million administered in 2 weeks ...

That is only the first dose.

 

And in other parts of the world?

Seniors are likely to be 'high in the food chain' and a very large number of Princess regulars fall in that category. While we have another year or so to be officially senior (assuming 65), I expect we'll be 'shot up' by the end of March as well.

 

While your initial numbers are probably correct, realize this is just the beginning. Production of the vaccines will ramp up and more will be approved. The procedure for getting shots will become more efficient and so on.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, voljeep said:

how much is "much" ?

 

Princess now has about 90 days or so before its' first scheduled cruises in April, 2021

 

is another round of cancellations coming sooner or later ?

I don’t think we can expect cruises prior to mid summer. Even my PVP feels that my Alaskan b2b cruises in August/September is only a 50-50 shot

Link to post
Share on other sites

No one knows regarding excursions. No one knows regarding travel and which ports/countries will allow those from the US to enter without extensive quarantine. No one knows if vaccination will be required. No one knows when the vaccine will be available and when certain age groups will receive it. Ask yourself, is this a good graduation trip experience? Maybe postpone a year when it can be enjoyed.

Link to post
Share on other sites

We may have to postpone, but really hope to be able to sail. Our granddaughter’s 2 friends are going too- sort of a senior trip for the 3 of them. They are all going to different colleges ( one in Europe), so finding another date would be difficult. But we are well, so we have much to be thankful for.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, voljeep said:

how much is "much" ?

 

Princess now has about 90 days or so before its' first scheduled cruises in April, 2021

 

is another round of cancellations coming sooner or later ?

We have a cruise departing May 1, ending in Vancouver, BC, Canada.  We are hoping they make a solid decision soon.  If not, we already have a backup in September.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, voljeep said:

hoping that the majority of the Princess demographic will be able to be vaccinated by 3/31/21, if so desired

 

hopefully my wife and I will be vaccinated ( first shot ) in a couple of weeks

 

I don't think it is just a case of having a fair percentage of the population vaccinated and then off we go. I think cruise lines will just wait until a large (at least 50%) percentage of the population is done rather than have half arsed cruises with restrictions etc. These just have too much potential to fail.

There is also the issue of having crew vaccinated which may sound simple but it is a major exercise. I know Australia isn't mentioned as a home port for a ship for many months yet, but as things stand the crew would not even be allowed to fly in to Australia. I expect that this will apply to many European ports as well. As most of the crew come from Countries where the vaccination process might not be as advanced as the US/UK/Australia this will create delays in getting ships crewed.

In my opinion we just need to be patient and I reckon about September will be the magic month when things will start up. I hope I am wrong as I want to get cruising asap.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Things are changing all the time. Wait it out, but don’t tie up a lot of money  I can’t see his cruise happening, but we don’t know 

I am in Ontario Canada and heard in our news tonight that as of Jan 7/21 negative test for virus is required to fly here & 2 week quarantine is required upon arrival. I think they plan on being stricter in following up on this. 
 

re: ship excursions probably likely, masks yes, social distancing yes 

Edited by dog
Link to post
Share on other sites

In a webinar about a month ago, Princess said policies about shore excursions are still being developed.

 

They also said that they are looking into possibly qualifying independent suppliers to have "bubble" tours for those who do not want Princess tours, but, again, plans still being developed.

 

Much depends on what the governments in the ports will allow. And so far, I have not read of any ports willing to accept cruise ships other than a few European ports that allow them for cruises that do not go to any other country, restrict what countries the passengers can come from and only allow cruise ship "bubble" excursions if you want to leave the ship.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/1/2021 at 1:50 PM, voljeep said:

hoping that the majority of the Princess demographic will be able to be vaccinated by 3/31/21, if so desired

 

hopefully my wife and I will be vaccinated ( first shot ) in a couple of weeks

We are scheduled for our first shot the end of this week.  They have started to give vaccinations to group 1B which is this state is for 65 and over.  In our city they announced a website to sign up for the first round and it filled up in 5 hours.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/2/2021 at 3:40 AM, caribill said:

In a webinar about a month ago, Princess said policies about shore excursions are still being developed.

 

They also said that they are looking into possibly qualifying independent suppliers to have "bubble" tours for those who do not want Princess tours, but, again, plans still being developed.

 

Much depends on what the governments in the ports will allow. And so far, I have not read of any ports willing to accept cruise ships other than a few European ports that allow them for cruises that do not go to any other country, restrict what countries the passengers can come from and only allow cruise ship "bubble" excursions if you want to leave the ship.

This is what will effectively kill our planned Sep/Oct Med/Adriatic voyage on the Pacific.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/2/2021 at 3:40 AM, caribill said:

In a webinar about a month ago, Princess said policies about shore excursions are still being developed.

 

They also said that they are looking into possibly qualifying independent suppliers to have "bubble" tours for those who do not want Princess tours, but, again, plans still being developed.

 

Much depends on what the governments in the ports will allow. And so far, I have not read of any ports willing to accept cruise ships other than a few European ports that allow them for cruises that do not go to any other country, restrict what countries the passengers can come from and only allow cruise ship "bubble" excursions if you want to leave the ship.

What would the difference be between a Princess tour and a "bubble" tour?  How, when and where would you form a "bubble"?  If you could be part of a different "bubble" in every port, it would defeat the intent.  Too many unknowns to predict at this date; we will have to wait and see when they finally announce the new procedures.

Link to post
Share on other sites

One aspect being overlooked... just because someone is vaccinated, there is no medical evidence that they can’t still transmit the virus.
 

And until proven otherwise, that essentially means a vaccinated passenger could simply be just as contagious a person (who is not showing any symptoms).  Medical experts realize this, and thus in the near term, many ports are still going to be unwilling to let passengers come ashore, vaccinated or not.  Arguably those ports that are desperate enough for the tourist dollar will still let passengers get off the ship... but if the $ is the driving decision factor, what does it matter then if someone has a vaccinated passport or not?

Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, taxmantoo said:

What would the difference be between a Princess tour and a "bubble" tour?  How, when and where would you form a "bubble"?  If you could be part of a different "bubble" in every port, it would defeat the intent.  Too many unknowns to predict at this date; we will have to wait and see when they finally announce the new procedures.

 

The Princess tour would be a bubble tour. What Princess is looking into is to qualify independent tour companies to conduct tours according to Princess bubble standards. These tours would not be sold through Princess. Passengers wpould have to somehow learn about them and book them, just as they have in the past with independent vendors.

 

Both the Princess and independent options do not allow passengers off the ship to wander around on their own.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, karylrocks said:

We have a cruise booked for December, and if we are allowed to go at all I fully expect to be limited to ship or bubble tours.


I am also booked ona Dec 2021 cruise and will probably cancel if we can’t go off to the beaches on our own. Have been to all these ports many times and won’t be doing tours. Final payment I believe is Sept 11/21. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/1/2021 at 6:37 PM, Wpooh1968 said:

We have a cruise departing May 1, ending in Vancouver, BC, Canada.  We are hoping they make a solid decision soon.  If not, we already have a backup in September.

Having a Canadian portion I would not count on it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: American Queen Steamboat Company - Celebrate Your Freedom
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com - June 2021
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...