Jump to content

Should I think about canceling my cruise?


Recommended Posts

My family has a cruise scheduled for July 18th for the Baltic region aboard the Celebrity Reflection. Our previous cruise was for last June to Canada unfortunately was canceled and I was wondering if our present on experience the same fate. I know that I have to cancel our plans by April 18th, but I heard that perhaps I can wait until later without a penalty. 
 

Any advice from experienced travelers would be appreciated. Stay safe. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Frenchkona said:

My family has a cruise scheduled for July 18th for the Baltic region aboard the Celebrity Reflection. Our previous cruise was for last June to Canada unfortunately was canceled and I was wondering if our present on experience the same fate. I know that I have to cancel our plans by April 18th, but I heard that perhaps I can wait until later without a penalty. 
 

Any advice from experienced travelers would be appreciated. Stay safe. 

Of course it depends on your own level of comfort, but as you say, you don't have to decide before final payment due on April 18.  If you do pay in full by April 18, the cruise sails, you decide to not go, you loose the $.  If they cancel, you can get a full refund.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

@LGW59 is correct if you want a refund.   Since your reservation was booked prior to Jan 31, 2021 it is also covered by CwC program so if you were to cancel after final payment and before 48 hrs prior to sailing you are eligible for 100% FCC.

 

Personally I have a Jun 12 Baltic cruise and I won't make final payment unless I'm confident it will sail and I'd be comfortable sailing.   Probably not going to happen.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The first four months of 2021 should give us a good indication of where worldwide cruising is going. As LGW59 mentioned, it depends on your level of comfort. Research cruises in 2022 looking for itineraries that may be eligible for a lift and shift. If nothing strikes your fancy, make a decision early on as to what you will do rather than waiting until the last minute. If you put yourself in a comfortable position where all bases are covered, your stress level will be minimal and your ability to rationalize future decisions will be easier.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

@LGW59 is correct if you want a refund.   Since your reservation was booked prior to Jan 31, 2021 it is also covered by CwC program so if you were to cancel after final payment and before 48 hrs prior to sailing you are eligible for 100% FCC.

 

Personally I have a Jun 12 Baltic cruise and I won't make final payment unless I'm confident it will sail and I'd be comfortable sailing.   Probably not going to happen.

Same, we have an Aug 28 cruise and we are a long way away from making that decision.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Frenchkona said:

My family has a cruise scheduled for July 18th for the Baltic region aboard the Celebrity Reflection. Our previous cruise was for last June to Canada unfortunately was canceled and I was wondering if our present on experience the same fate. I know that I have to cancel our plans by April 18th, but I heard that perhaps I can wait until later without a penalty. 
 

Any advice from experienced travelers would be appreciated. Stay safe. 

No, you shouldn't think about cancelling your cruise, you should cancel it.

 

I wouldn't make any airline reservations and cancel now.  Even if the cruise sails, it's doubtful that all of the ports you visit will be completely open for you to enjoy.   I doubt you will have a good idea of the conditions in the region by the time you need to make final payment.  Take the refund now and wait until 2022.  

Edited by ipeeinthepool
Link to post
Share on other sites

With 3.5 months until you have to make a decision, a period during which there should be greater clarity as to what is going to happen with Celebrity's 2021 cruises, I'd just keep on top of developments for the time being. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

If you are thinking about moving though you might want to do it now to get your ideal itinerary or cabin for next year. If you wait until Celebrity announces a wave of cancellations for coming months then you may find a ton of people moving into 2022 and spaces filling up or categories sold out when you try to move.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Currently a July 2021 sailing would not be eligible to L&S and I'd imagine a similar sailing in 2022 will be significantly more expensive.   My opinion if you would like to move the sailing to 2022 would be to wait to cancel to see if Celebrity offers an extension to L&S.  I don't think they will but I've certainly been wrong before.  Many people who pulled the cancel trigger too early found that others who waited got better options.  But it's all in your comfort level.

Edited by wrk2cruise
Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a 12 night British Isles on Reflection for July 30, 2021...I'm waiting until final is due to make my decision. Hoping that X will either cancel or offer new terms for the L/S....as I have a NRD.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Simply don't be upset if it gets cancelled and have a fun backup plan in case it does.  My concern with 2021 cruises isn't that it'll be outright cancelled but rather the majority of the ports will be converted to sea days at the last minute

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ashland said:

I have a 12 night British Isles on Reflection for July 30, 2021...I'm waiting until final is due to make my decision. Hoping that X will either cancel or offer new terms for the L/S....as I have a NRD.

We also had a NRD Eclipse Pacific October 2020 my NRD deposit was refunded at the end of October to my visa card well done Celebrity 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree I would wait to see how things go but kind of doubt it, I getting ready to cancel my edge cruise in April before final , really would have loved to take that cruise.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Aussie One said:

We also had a NRD Eclipse Pacific October 2020 my NRD deposit was refunded at the end of October to my visa card well done Celebrity 

I assume X cancelled your cruise....and you had made your final payment...so what you're saying is the entire amount was refunded...right?

 

What I'm concerned about is making final payment and then the cruise sails with so many changes/restrictions that I wouldn't want to actually go. Then what?

Link to post
Share on other sites

At this point you might as well wait until you need to make that final payment.  I truly it depends on how far along each country is in its dispensing of the vaccines.  I would say your cruise has a slight chance of happening.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a Baltic cruise on Reflection sailing August 11 from Amsterdam.

Our Health Secretary forecasts due to the vaccine roll out things will be near back to normal by end of April.

 

My final payment is due in June,,,I will wait until making a decision.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Cancel it and get a good spot for next year. Even if the ship sails, the ports will not likely be at their full potential and some may even still be closed. I think a vacation within your own country is a safer option for 2021. At this point in time we cannot move freely within the country so that in itself will be a huge milestone.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Think about the time frame of vaccine rollout in these countries.  And also where you live in KY.  And add two months for two doses and to develop full protection after the second dose.  

 

I have a Norwegian cruise the end of August 2021 out of the UK.  So I need to have my two vaccine doses in PA in June and July to be fully protected by the end of August.  I am 63 and in the last priority group in my state at this point.  I will need to verify that I was vaccinated probably to be allowed to get off the ship in Norway.  And the citizens of Norway need to be fully vaccinated by then and their ports open to foreign tourists.  Same for the UK where we set sail.  I don't know but it seems like a very tall order and long shot really for the stars to align and have all this happen for my cruise.  I suppose it could but I'm very skeptical at this point.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Ashland said:

What I'm concerned about is making final payment and then the cruise sails with so many changes/restrictions that I wouldn't want to actually go. Then what?

From what I understand you would receive a FCC based on when you cancel the cruise, as in number of days prior to sailing. 

At this time we have no cruises on the books and are comfortable to wait until we hear how things went once cruising starts ( restrictions on board as well as in port , staff enforcing the rules, passenger behavior ( there will always be some idiots ) etc.  

To be out at sea with 5000 people on board , the chances of someone getting sick and everyone quarantined are quite high--- so, we will stay home until " Fun " returns to cruising . 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, wrk2cruise said:

Currently a July 2021 sailing would not be eligible to L&S and I'd imagine a similar sailing in 2022 will be significantly more expensive.   My opinion if you would like to move the sailing to 2022 would be to wait to cancel to see if Celebrity offers an extension to L&S.  I don't think they will but I've certainly been wrong before.  Many people who pulled the cancel trigger too early found that others who waited got better options.  But it's all in your comfort level.


Our May 2020 Apex sailing was cancelled and we booked a Barcelona RT  for May 2021, again on the Apex. Not sure if the sailing will happen, but we certainly won’t be on it. I’m just waiting to see if Celebrity extends L&S in the new few weeks, if not will cancel by the end of the month. 
 

We have a South American itinerary booked for end February 2022, am much more hopeful of that one. The only downside is we should have been on the Silhouette, but she’s being moved to the Caribbean and now we’re stuck with the Infinity. Oh well...😉

Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow!  It seems like us Baltic cruisers really want to go!!!  We are scheduled on the Reflection Baltic June 28.  Crossing our fingers, but not holding our breath.  We will wait until closer to final payment time, which we will use FCC from our cancelled Ireland cruise May 2020, to decide.  We're hoping to at least L & S as we had a good deal and great perks for the Baltic.  We keep watching air fare but haven't booked yet.  We're getting  good at moving cruises.  We have already moved 4.  2022 is getting quite full.  Happy New Year

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Simply don't be upset if it gets cancelled and have a fun backup plan in case it does.  My concern with 2021 cruises isn't that it'll be outright cancelled but rather the majority of the ports will be converted to sea days at the last minute

Your point is right on IMO.  Presently, for our Nov. 12/21 cruise, there is exactly ONE excursion showing and it's a 'tour in a bus around the island', so I'm thinking that no other port is clear of covid, expects to be clear of covid, or is willing to open to a cruise ship by Nov.  I'm hoping the vaccine will open transportation up by the 3rd qtr, but the slow distribution is concerning. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, scidee said:

Wow!  It seems like us Baltic cruisers really want to go!!!  We are scheduled on the Reflection Baltic June 28.  Crossing our fingers, but not holding our breath.  We will wait until closer to final payment time, which we will use FCC from our cancelled Ireland cruise May 2020, to decide.  We're hoping to at least L & S as we had a good deal and great perks for the Baltic.  We keep watching air fare but haven't booked yet.  We're getting  good at moving cruises.  We have already moved 4.  2022 is getting quite full.  Happy New Year

End of '21 is filling up and prices for '22 are higher than most of us paid for the same cruise a year earlier.  L&S and CWC programs much appreciated.  Wouldn't book a '22 cruise now at the hiked prices.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I am wondering about the possibility of any of the Silhouette European cruises for 2021 happening. So far there is no scheduled Transatlantic crossing to Europe to enable European cruises to happen. But there is a return crossing back to Fort Lauderdale from Southampton in November, so Celebrity need to sort out getting the ship there in the first place. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with RiverCruising, the River Cruise Experts
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...