Will Cunard sail in 2021?

davyjones

I'm seeing the same thing. Hard to know for sure, but I'm inclined to think this is a new "feature" of the website for now at least. Although canceling all of 2021 is certainly not out of the question, it seems to me it's a bit too early for Cunard to have taken that decision.

I've noticed this behavior depends on the width of the browser window. On a desktop browser at a typical browser window size, a request to search by departure date does start with the 2022 calendar page (as shown here) and it is necessary to click on the left arrow to see the 2021 calendar page.

1878629805_FilterbyDate(Desktop).thumb.jpg.e2306c53af12072cb47dc43d7d7c1a96.jpg

If the browser window is narrowed on a desktop, or the site is viewed on a smartphone (as shown here), a request to search by departure date starts with the 2021 calendar page and vertical scrolling is used to see later calendar pages.

647121715_FilterbyDate(Phone).thumb.jpg.a4463533da40c90382909ee81e62f942.jpg

Edited by bluemarble
  • Like 2

Cunard will not sail in 2021 not a transatlantic at least and will probably never sail again. It is likely there will be another national lockdown next winter and every winter possibly forever. They have not said forever but it will be as this will never go away. But if they lockdown then obviously ships will not sail even if USA does not lockdown. I doubt the Queen Mary can sail in from New York on a  TA. Where will it go? And Cunard and other lines cannot go on like this forever. Ok they might change the TA to Hamburg if Germany doesn't lockdown but that will be a permanent change if it happens.

Edited by ace2542
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ace2542 said:

Cunard will not sail in 2021 not a transatlantic at least and will probably never sail again. It is likely there will be another national lockdown next winter and every winter possibly forever. They have not said forever but it will be as this will never go away. But if they lockdown then obviously ships will not sail even if USA does not lockdown. I doubt the Queen Mary can sail in from New York on a  TA. Where will it go? And Cunard and other lines cannot go on like this forever. Ok they might change the TA to Hamburg if Germany doesn't lockdown but that will be a permanent change if it happens.

Well aren't you an optimistic bunny!

Do you have this in writing or is this yet another speculative comment from yourself portrayed as fact?

Edited by Victoria2
added highlight
  • Like 5

6 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

Well aren't you an optimistic bunny!

I was till I saw about the second possible winter lockdown. I really thought we would go in November and that I might even get my vac in time to go despite the 12 week thing. We have single shot Johnson on order. But if they lock down for 3 months lets say Nov to Feb. That will cost Cunard a big chunk of money. The start of the world cruise. The 26 night Christmas package and about 3 or 4 TAs and christmas market/warm weather winter sailings on the Victoria. And IF cunard leaves UK to avoid that they may not come back. Source is UK Media make of that what you will. But if they lockdown how do you sail?

Edited by ace2542
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

I was till I saw about the second possible winter lockdown. I really thought we would go in November and that I might even get my vac in time to go despite the 12 week thing. We have single shot Johnson on order. But if they lock down for 3 months lets say Nov to Feb. That will cost Cunard a big chunk of money. The start of the world cruise. The 26 night Christmas package and about 3 or 4 TAs and christmas market/warm weather winter sailings on the Victoria. And IF cunard leaves UK to avoid that they may not come back. Source is UK Media make of that what you will. But if they lockdown how do you sail?

I can understand all sorts of ifs,  buts and speculation as we all do that, but you comment as if it's set in stone. It isn't and you are misleading some who might read and think it's fact. We have NO idea what will happen or when. 

Give an opinion but don't pronounce as fact.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

I can understand all sorts of ifs,  buts and speculation as we all do that, but you comment as if it's set in stone. It isn't and you are misleading some who might read and think it's fact. We have NO idea what will happen or when. 

Give an opinion but don't pronounce as fact.

Yeah but everything the UK Media has said has come to pass.

32 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

It doesn't matter if you read The Sun or the FT, it still doesn't give carte blanche to post speculative thoughts as concrete fact on a site which is supposed to be helpful. 

Or it shouldn't.

Wait for REAL news, i.e. from Cunard itself.

Edited by Victoria2
spelling
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ace2542 said:

Neither of those things are true, fortunately.

• Like 6

Heres a funny story-stick with it there is a point!

Few years ago I used to take the metro in DC & transfer to a free hospital bus to visit my mother in law in hospital.

The free hospital bus was what I call a “party bus” as it was full all kinds of people and characters.

All of them chatty, opinionated, friendly etc etc as most Americans are

At that time THE story in USA wasn’t world hunger, poverty, homelessness etc etc it was the story about a lady who claimed she had won the lottery but wouldn't produce the ticket and then her co workers were suing her saying it was their syndicate ticket that won.

https://www.businessinsider.com/mirlande-wilson-was-lying-2012-4?r=US&IR=T

Anyhow day after day day the entire bus was arguing, debating, shouting and cackling about it and here is my point- one day one man stood up and hollered “we can all have our opinions and views on this but only one person knows for sure”

So I think FTTB no one knows what will happen with cruising and starting again

Carnival/Cunard/World Governments don’t know

It’s so unchartered and never before seen

So we can all debate/discuss but none of us know for sure

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

A sober look at the number of vaccinations required in the UK versus the hoped for number per week and you are looking at June for half the population to be vaccinated once and since we need to be vaccinated twice add at least 12 weeks to that and then you are into autumn and the seasonal flu/covid time kicks in again.

q.v. Page 1 penultimate paragraph:

https://www.england.nhs.uk/coronavirus/wp-content/uploads/sites/52/2020/12/C0994-System-letter-COVID-19-vaccination-deployment-planning-30-December-2020.pdf

Meteorological Spring ends 31 May, astronomical Spring ends 21 June.

1 hour ago, davyjones said:

A sober look at the number of vaccinations required in the UK versus the hoped for number per week and you are looking at June for half the population to be vaccinated once and since we need to be vaccinated twice add at least 12 weeks to that and then you are into autumn and the seasonal flu/covid time kicks in again.

q.v. Page 1 penultimate paragraph:

https://www.england.nhs.uk/coronavirus/wp-content/uploads/sites/52/2020/12/C0994-System-letter-COVID-19-vaccination-deployment-planning-30-December-2020.pdf

Meteorological Spring ends 31 May, astronomical Spring ends 21 June.

They will likely pick up the pace of vaccination though.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BigMac1953 said:

...and Carnival shares in UK jumped 3% today.

yes at present price is £13.26 per share but as of 30th Dec were at a high of £14.04 so in effect on last 7 days down 6% and Princess have extended cancellations of cruises until mid May as of today.

Edited by majortom10

On 1/6/2021 at 1:04 PM, Victoria2 said:

It doesn't matter if you read The Sun or the FT, it still doesn't give carte blanche to post speculative thoughts as concrete fact on a site which is supposed to be helpful. 

Or it shouldn't.

I now reverse my view. Cunard will likely sail in mid/late 21.

Matt Hancock and nailed his flag to the mast if that is the right saying or whatever the right saying is. He has stated as saying in his words this will be "the last of the lockdowns". There will be no need for government to place draconian restrictions on people's freedoms in the future". So if there is no lockdown it is reasonable to assume there will be no travel restrictions in terms of being able to travel at least on our side. How that travel will play out masks, no vack no sail etc etc is anyones guess.

On 1/6/2021 at 1:04 PM, Victoria2 said:

Or it shouldn't.

I agree Victoria, you've got to look on the bright side. My wife and I are booked on Queen Elizabeth for 2 weeks, out of Southampton on 14th June 2021. If the cruise gets cancelled, we'll simply transfer cruise credits to 2022.

Got one bit of "REAL NEWS" from Cunard yesterday "When you made your booking we would have advised you that the full balance for your holiday is due 90 days before departure. However in light of the on-going situation regarding Covid-19 and the Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office guidance on cruising, we wanted to reassure you that we will only recommence sailing when it is the right time to do so. We have therefore taken the decision to relax our balance due payments terms to 30 days prior to departure, meaning you now have a little more time before you have to pay your final balance"

Both Real news AND  good news

• Like 1

I absolutely look on bright side, after having Barbados holiday cancelled, we would be leaving today.  Just booked another Barbados holiday , for straight after the Easter school holidays. Lockdown must end 31 March.  Worked out should get my first jab by end Feb, government promised mid Feb but it will be a few days late I expect. Second jab therefore end May , time for some sun. Nothing to loose, BA have been fantastic,  money back on credit card in 2 days. 

Very interesting to note , cruise prices have held up very well compared to land prices, what was £17k for 2 weeks pre covid  is £11k for 3 weeks. If only Cunard was the same

4 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

I absolutely look on bright side, after having Barbados holiday cancelled, we would be leaving today.  Just booked another Barbados holiday , for straight after the Easter school holidays. Lockdown must end 31 March.  Worked out should get my first jab by end Feb, government promised mid Feb but it will be a few days late I expect. Second jab therefore end May , time for some sun. Nothing to loose, BA have been fantastic,  money back on credit card in 2 days. 

Very interesting to note , cruise prices have held up very well compared to land prices, what was £17k for 2 weeks pre covid  is £11k for 3 weeks. If only Cunard was the same

I love to see optimism - particularly imperative optimism: “Lockdown must end 31 March.” Also hope your immunizations keep close to schedule.

3 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

I love to see optimism - particularly imperative optimism: “Lockdown must end 31 March.” Also hope your immunizations keep close to schedule.

The issue will be actual supply in both countries (uk and us) and others as well. Because Pfizer are really struggling to meet the orders they have on time. I don't know about U.S but in UK we are flying the vaccines in. For some reason they are not being produced at any of the Pfizer plants. They actually transferred some of that to Belgium at some point last year despite this going on and order from UK on their books. Maybe the government could have done something to prevent that. Grants, loans, assistance or freezing or waving of business rates for that sight maybe? But they didn't.

The issue will be actual supply in both countries (uk and us) and others as well. Because Pfizer are really struggling to meet the orders they have on time. I don't know about U.S but in UK we are flying the vaccines in. For some reason they are not being produced at any of the Pfizer plants. They actually transferred some of that to Belgium at some point last year despite this going on and order from UK on their books. Maybe the government could have done something to prevent that. Grants, loans, assistance or freezing or waving of business rates for that sight maybe? But they didn't.

I am afraid that, in the US at least, there has been very poor planning on distribution -- or even knowledge about continuity of supply.  Tens of thousands of doses are sitting in various states because there was no plan in place for administrating vaccine.   The competence of the Federal Government at this point need not be discussed at all.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, oskidunker said:

Biden will speed it up. War powers act to speed up manufacturing, vaccination stations and using all the vaccine to inoculate more people rather than holding it.  Hope it works. 

Production needs to be speeded up - that is a certainty;  but I have to wonder if not reserving enough for the second dose at the proper interval might  lead to iefficacy (ie. waste) of the first dose .