The Daily for Wednesday Jan 6, 2021

richwmn

today is Bean Day, Cuddle Up Day, and  Apple Tree Day

today is also the traditional observance of Epiphany

Cleaning your house while your kids are still growing is like shoveling the walk before it stops snowing.
        -- Phyllis Diller

Meal suggestion for today - Pumpkin Ravioli

Drink of the Day - Hot Gin Toddy

Wine of the day - Josep Maria Raventós i Blanc Brut Nature Vino Espumoso de la Finca vintage 2013

Stirrup Cay Anchoragec
Nieuw Statendan

at Sea Pacific
Koningsdam off San Diego
Nieuw Amsterdam off San Diego
Noordam off San Diego
Westerdam off San Diego
Zuiderdam off San Diego

Southampton
Eurodam

Torquay
Oosterdam
Volendam
Zaandam

0106World.png

• Like 21
  • Thanks 6

Good morning dailyites.  Thank you Rich for the maps.  Will celebrate cuddle up day with dh and kitty.  Just bought apples yesterday.  Chili is for dinner tonight with beans, so will pass on the meal suggestion.  I guess I have all  the days covered.  I totally agree with the quote. 

Arm is sore where the shot was given yesterday but no other side effects.  Second shot will be around February 4th.   Prayers and shout outs for all of us.  Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Hot Gin Toddy:

Ingredients. 1 1/2 ounces gin (Tanqueray London Dry Gin) 3/4 ounce lemon juice (fresh) 1 teaspoon sugar. 2 ounces hot water. Garnish: cinnamon stick.

Screen Shot 2021-01-06 at 6.44.07 AM.png

• Like 18

Good morning and thanks for the Daily Report.

It's a good day to Cuddle Up with my sweetie today.  Not sure if we'll have beans though, that reminds me of that scene from Blazing Saddles.😃

Love the quote.

Thanks for the meal suggestion but I think we'll have fish.

Thanks for the drink of the day description Summer Slope, thanks for letting us know how you feel after the jab.

Looking forward to reading about the wine.

Praying for everyone.

Stay safe.

• Like 14

Thank you for the Hump Day Daily, Rich.  I guess my favorite is the Apple Tree Day and wishing those who celebrate it today a wonderful Epiphany Day.  So true on the Phyllis Diller quote.  I'll pass on the Pumpkin Ravioli but my alternative is Roasted and Raw Carrot Salad. Baked Rigatoni w/ Italian Sausage, and Ricotta Raspberry Tart, as served on MS Prinsendam January 6, 2019,

https://morethangetaways.files.wordpress.com/2019/01/dishes06.jpg

Today's care list:

Mrs Vmax with radiation looming

Caregiver Gsel and her DH battling Alzheimers

NextOne DH with Renal Cancer

kazu’s BIL’s Mom with Cpvod

Me and my brother

HAL (and other crews)

and Krazy Kruisers and Joe

Today's Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Teachers and school workers, especially StLouisCruiser’s DD

Front Line Health Care Workers

First jab completed for summer slope and highland cruiser’s DD

A new home for Sophie

The end of political ads in Georgia

Good MRI results for JazzyV

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Summer, I'm surprised you don't have an actual appointment for your second jab.

Roy

• Like 20
  • Thanks 2

Roy, no we don’t. Things here are setting up on the move. Publix and Walgreens will have doses coming, as well as the Health dept. so many more places to get it.We’ll see at the end of the month if we have to do the online registration again. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Will skip the meal suggestions — not that I am any type of cook anyway — and try a turkey breast in the crock pot today.  It will be a mini Thanksgiving feast.  

Thanks to all for continuing to post.  Getting my much needed “daily cruise fix” here.  🚢️  Katherine

• Like 14

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

Great collection of days with our favourite being Epiphany.  Today, traditionally for us  all the decorations come down and get put away.  We do take Epiphany seriously, but I couldn’t resist posting this.

C8BC0561-6103-4DD0-8DDD-4A42FF787738.thumb.jpeg.a0cfc5f3cbc27fa31db9e4abada3fc20.jpeg

Love that quote by Phyllis Diller. I would venture to add that kids can be replaced by pet and growing by around (while your pets are still around).  They have a way of creating dust and trouble:

6E869244-4BEB-4762-A1E1-5F7B160F08B4.thumb.jpeg.ab6360cdfdece3004782d6d3b341c393.jpeg

Thanks @summer slopefor the hot toddy recipe.  Sounds good on a day like today.  Appreciate you sharing your vaccination experience with us.

Not sure what’s on the menu tonight but we had pasta last night so we’ll pass on the ravioli.  Thanks to selfish people that don’t follow rules, our province has been put back to code Orange so I’ll ponder and dig in my freezer.

5A20645B-0FC4-46CD-B931-057D59111DB5.jpeg.60fa456763bd8acd3c30d3108629f853.jpeg

Prayers to those on Roy’s Care list and those that need them and a toast to everyone on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.  And a big congratulations to the United States Junior Hockey team and their championship.  🇺🇸 

Have a great Wednesday everyone.  Stay safe and please don’t forget your masks 😷 

• Like 17
  • Haha 3

Well, it appears I am in sync with the special days because we are eating chili with beans tonight and we always split an apple between us after lunch.  Trying to keep the doctor away, I guess.  

Continuing my cruise report on Jan 6, 2017  Seabourn Quest Antarctica-South Georgia Island

Today began at Salisbury Plain on the north coast of South Georgia Island.enhance

It has the second largest breeding site of King penguins.  Literally 500,000 King penguins.  Then there are seals, both elephant and fur seals.  The penguins stood shoulder to shoulder, sort of like a rock concert crowd.  Crazy!  Look carefully – that dark grey color running down the hillside to the water is penguins (and probably some seals).enhance

enhance

We were supposed to land on the shore starting at 6 am but at 5:45 that famous Captain of ours announced (in our cabins!) that due to the waves breaking at the shoreline they would be unable to land but instead we would do a Zodiac tour of the shoreline.  The poor blue group got the worst of the draw today, too because we were last.  By the time we went it was spitting snow out there, not large flakes but pellet-like snow.  Just before we boarded some man went halfway into the drink due to the swell tossing the Zodiacs around at the loading platform.  He was fine, but they gave the rest of us a refresher course on how to lock hands onto the arms of the loading personnel.  The trick is to lock your grip around your helper’s forearm, while they lock their grip around your forearm.  If you were to grab each other’s hands, they might end up with your glove in their fist if you were to start to fall into the water.  So we had at least three people helping us into the Zodiacs after that.  We had no problem and away we went to the shoreline to see the penguins and seals.  I have never seen more penguins together at one time in my life! enhance

enhance

enhance

I wish I knew what the lineup was for.  Haven’t they heard of social distancing? enhance

That’s better.  Now we need to work on wearing a mask!enhance

At the end of our ride the decision was made to get the Zodiacs on board quickly so we could leave the area because bad weather was moving in between South Georgia and Montevideo.  Our Captain (who used to introduce himself on Prinsendam at the noon announcements as “the disembodied voice from the bridge”) as well as Ice Captain Larsen and the rest of the bridge team were ever vigilant in watching for bad weather.

Heading in we got a good look at the rear “marina” feature.  I’ve heard they can fold that door out and have a deck for water sports like swimming, kayaking and jet skis in warm weather climates.  The starboard Zodiac crane can be seen here.  There’s one on the port side, too.enhance

Here’s what stacked Zodiacs look like. enhance

For the life of me I can’t figure out who all the people in the blue parkas are.  Everyone was given the orange Seabourn parkas to wear, so having all those blue parkas on those Zodiacs confuses me.  The Expedition Team wore red or yellow parkas.enhance

When we left South Georgia it was rather sunny, but the bad weather was ahead of us.  That afternoon I spent time with my knitting and stitching friends in the Observation Bar where I worked on a counted cross stitch Christmas stocking; what else?  Is it time for champagne yet? enhance

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! I choose Mexican Jumping Beans as my bean to celebrate! @kazu, I will also be taking my decorations down today. And thank you for congratulating my home team - very gracious of you! Everyday is Cuddle Up Day with Bindi - unless she is barking at the folk across the street.

Roy, thank you for keeping our lists! Morning Dailyites & my Sisters. Denise,  sadly, our two states seem to be in a COVID competition. Joy, hope your house does not seem to be too empty. Summer, thank you for sharing your vaccination experience. I am not a gin fan, it leaves a soap taste in my mouth. Luckily there are a great many other choices.😎

Tonight is shrimp burgers & roasted veggies for me. And perhaps a quick happy hour with some neighbors in the cul de sac.  

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating. 
Stay well everyone!

This sparkling white wine from Spain is made with a rare white blend of grapes! Some of the rating narrative doesn’t make it sound very enticing, but I would try a sip of it. I found it online for prices starting at $32.99.

#85 Wine Spectator Top 100 of 2017 
WS90 Wine Spectator: A minerally version, with up-front petrol and spice notes lacing the poached cherry, salted almond and lemon peel flavors that ride the delicate mousse. Elegant and harmonious. Disgorged February 2017. Drink now through 2020.
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Thanks to Rich and Roy and the 'drinks ladies'. 

I was thinking of making black bean chili today and it turns out that is just perfect for bean day.

Today's wine almost sounds like a single malt scotch description from Islay, just missing the seaweed.

Rain here all day so taking down the tree and decorations and finishing my puzzle sound like good indoor activities.

• Like 14

5 minutes ago, baltic17 said:

Thanks to Rich and Roy and the 'drinks ladies'. 

I was thinking of making black bean chili today and it turns out that is just perfect for bean day.

Today's wine almost sounds like a single malt scotch description from Islay, just missing the seaweed.

Rain here all day so taking down the tree and decorations and finishing my puzzle sound like good indoor activities.

It has been many decades since I tried a sip of scotch. I was not impressed, but I wasn’t a fan of wine then, either. 😱 I know!

Perhaps I should try one on the next ship I am on.

Which one(s) would you recommend?

• Like 10

Thank you and good morning Rich..

Thank you to all contributors. Roy, you and your brother are still on my prayer list, along with others on your list.

Good morning sweet sisters. I miss hearing from Deeni.. Ann it is very lonely at our home. Sophie's new friend says Sophie and Jerry are best buds, sharing their food dishes and playing games together. Allen had his video chat with doctor and is on 2 meds. Hoping my sweet husband starts feeling better soon.

I have a roast in the crockpot for dinner tonight, but I'm intrigued with what pumpkin ravioli might taste like. 

Hope everyone stays as safe as possible. Get those vaccines rolling!!

• Like 15

Today's sunrise is from the 2016 odyssey that started with a pair of Cunard transatlantics and continued to Antarctica on the Crystal Symphony.  January 6 was a sea day on Queen Mary 2.

dawn0106.jpg

@Seasick Sailornaming the Seabourn Captain is what makes Cruise Critic think a post is spam.

Roy

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

@StLouisCruisers, why aren't you able to name your captain? 

I had quite the adventure last week/weekend while trying to post my reports on that cruise because everytime I had the Captain's name in the post, it would not show it on the screen.  Many hours later Host Kat would release the post after reviewing it for spam content or ineligible content.  She explained someone in the past had probably said something that now flagged that content.  Therefore I won't put his name in my posts anymore.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Today's sunrise is from the 2016 odyssey that started with a pair of Cunard transatlantics and continued to Antarctica on the Crystal Symphony.  January 6 was a sea day on Queen Mary 2.

dawn0106.jpg

@Seasick Sailornaming the Seabourn Captain is what makes Cruise Critic think a post is spam.

Roy

Thank you Roy. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning to everyone from a cool but sunny day at the beach.  Trying to decide if I will do water aerobics today.  If it is over 60, we usually do it but......

Our Governor announced that the vaccine will start to be administered at Publix. ( our grocery store). Unfortunately not in our county.  They are giving it at the Health Department but the appointments filled up quickly. We are OK, we will wait. This is all positive. In the meantime, we will just continue as we have been!

• Like 14

1 minute ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I had quite the adventure last week/weekend while trying to post my reports on that cruise because everytime I had the Captain's name in the post, it would not show it on the screen.  Many hours later Host Kat would release the post after reviewing it for spam content or ineligible content.  She explained someone in the past had probably said something that now flagged that content.  Therefore I won't put his name in my posts anymore.

So it's just that particular Captain that shows up in spam. Interesting. Thanks.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Seasick Sailor said:

So it's just that particular Captain that shows up in spam. Interesting. Thanks.

We really don't know what words or Captain's names for instance will trigger the "hidden" post which then has to be reviewed.  I know in the past I have mentioned his name in various places on this website and it never triggered an issue.  Must have been in the past 2 years or so.  That Captain retired from HAL and Seabourn then Europa hired him before the Covid crisis.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  Every day is cuddle up day with our Sochi, although my lap is the only one she comes on, even though technically she's DH's cat.  Apple tree day is a nice thing to celebrate; I love seeing the apple blossoms in spring.

Had a productive day yesterday, sewing a dozen Spiderman masks for DGS and his best friend.  I've found that by making the friend his own set, they don't want to trade masks . . . at age 5, sometimes they just don't understand why they can't.  Today I'll run to the post office and hopefully they'll arrive before school re-opens on Monday next week.  And when I say run, I mean that figuratively, not literally; if you ever see me run, try to keep up, because something bad's about to happen . . .

I like both meal suggestions (I actually enjoyed pumpkin ravioli, as it was with a truffle butter), but instead of seafood jambalaya yesterday, I made shrimp Alfredo, and made wayyy too much of it.  We'll be having leftovers tonight.  And wine.

Speaking of wine . . . I'm not so sure I'd fancy one with notes of petrol . . . lol.  I'm happy to hear Sophie has a new friend, but sad that @Seasick Sailorhad to part with her.  I also hope Seasick Sailor's hubby is going to be okay!

Prayers for everyone who needs them, and even for those who don't think they do.  Toasting all on the celebration/happy list tonight.  Stay well, be safe, wash your hands and wear your mask.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Today's Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Teachers and school workers, especially StLouisCruiser’s DD

Front Line Health Care Workers

First jab completed for summer slope and highland cruiser’s DD

A new home for Sophie

The end of political ads in Georgia

Good MRI results for JazzyV

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

2 hours ago, rafinmd said:

One more Roy 🙂

Team USA shutting out Team Canada 2-0 (Canada's first defeat after six consecutive wins!) and winning the 2021 IIHF World Junior Championship. Awesome job!

US upsets Canada 2-0 to win world junior hockey championship

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1