Hal extends stoppage

KirkNC

No surprise whatsoever. 

Kudos to HAL for announcing earlier rather than at the last minute. 

Unless the world makes a miraculous covid recovery or vaccinations are magically  universally administered I would expect future cancellation announcements for  scheduled summer cruises.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 4

I just got the email cancelling our April cruise.

Dear Valued Guest, 

I hope this finds you safe and healthy in the New Year. All of us at Holland America Line are looking forward to the future when we will once again be able to deliver exceptional service and experiences to our loyal guests around the world.

We are working hard to continue to prepare our ships and develop our plans to meet the Framework for Conditional Sailing Order issued by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). We look forward to communicating more details as soon as possible.

As this process continues, we have made the difficult decision to extend our pause in cruise operations for all departures through April 30, 2021, all Alaska voyages through mid-May, and select other voyages for deployment purposes. As a result, we regret we must cancel your upcoming voyage (Booking #...). 

As compensation for this change to your travel plans, we are offering you bonus Future Cruise Credits (FCC), which provide tremendous value for you to plan another trip of your choice.

IF YOUR BOOKING HAS BEEN PAID IN FULL, you will receive a Future Cruise Credit for 125% of the base cruise fare paid. These credits may be applied to the cruise fare of a new booking. IF YOUR BOOKING HAS NOT BEEN PAID IN FULL, you will receive double the amount deposited (up to the base cruise fare amount) as a Future Cruise Credit. This credit will waive the required deposit on your next booking on a voyage up to 29 days in length. 

The amount received by Holland America Line in excess of the base cruise fare can be transferred to a new booking or will be refunded to the method of payment used for the original purchase. THE FUTURE CRUISE CREDITS ARE VALID FOR 12 MONTHS FROM THE DATE OF ISSUE AND MAY BE USED TO BOOK SAILINGS DEPARTING THROUGH DECEMBER 31, 2022. Non-cruise-fare purchases, such as shore excursions, gifts, dining and spa, will be refunded to the original form of payment.

If any portion of your travel was not booked through Holland America Line, other booking and cancellation conditions and policies may apply. Most airlines and other travel-related services such as hotels, transportation, and tours are allowing refunds or waiving change fees due to COVID-19; please work directly with those operators regarding their charges. The above terms are not applicable to guests booked on charter sailings.

Should you prefer to decline the bonus Future Cruise Credit and receive a lower-value refund, you may request a refund of all monies paid to Holland America Line by completing the Cancellation Preferences form before February 15, 2021. The full Future Cruise Credit Terms & Conditions can also be found there. Refunds will be reimbursed to the original form of payment and will include all non-cruise fare purchases through Holland America Line.

Please note that due to the significant volume of bookings impacted by cancellations, we ask for your patience in affording us the time to work through processing the refunds and FCCs. We are working hard to make sure every booking is handled accurately and efficiently.

Should you have any questions, please reach out to us at the appropriate office: 

Seattle Office (USD/CAD currency):

Edited by Vict0riann
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, KirkNC said:

Yikes, tens a lot, you tired yet?

I'm tired of being cooped up at home...we're being quite careful with the pandemic. 2020 was going to be a very big cruising year for us--all international cruises.  That said, we have seven future cruises booked with HAL beginning 11/2021 (Aust., Antarctica/SA, SE Asia/China, and Japan/Russia).  We're going to re-book a similar HAL cruise for Istanbul/Holy Land in 2022 if they offer a similar itinerary.  2022 will be a big cruising year for us.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Mandalay1903 said:

Likewise for our two May 2021 Europe cruises. We have now been Covid-cancelled for ten HAL cruises!  Looking forward to 2022.

Yours must be one of those "select other voyages for redeployment purposes" .  I wonder what that means exactly.  They certainly seem to be moving the ships around a lot.

1 minute ago, Vict0riann said:

Yours must be one of those "select other voyages for redeployment purposes" .  I wonder what that means exactly.  They certainly seem to be moving the ships around a lot.

Not sure, and not sure what that means either.  I'm glad HAL pulled the trigger and cancelled this next set of cruises [for us], and especially well before we had to make a decision at the final payment date. I don't think the world will be ready for cruising by this May, and may not be ready for general international tourism. 

On 1/3/2021 at 9:06 AM, ger_77 said:

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  I guess I'm a traditionalist (or maybe just a Catholic), because for us Epiphany was always January 6th.  However, I can be swayed . . . LOL

We had the occasion to have our luggage travel without us on our very first Mediterranean cruise - we boarded the Prinsendam in Athens, and our luggage didn't reach us until the 3rd day when we were in Istanbul.  At that time we were cruising newbies and our carry-ons only contained a few magazines, some make-up (for moi), and blow-up pillows.  (*cringe*)   I was never so happy to see my suitcases as when we returned from our shore excursion and discovered them waiting on the pier for us.  I literally went over and kissed each piece!

The menu suggestions - hmm, neither of us appreciates acorn squash, so will pass on that, and although I love lamb, DH isn't a fan, so will have to dive head first into the "ice cave" to see what I can pull out for dinner tonight.  I know there's frozen Russian borscht in there, and it's the kind of day for making buns, so I'm pretty sure that's going to be our dinner this evening.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them, and even for those who don't think they do.  We'll raise our wine glasses tonight to toast all who make this daily thread a great place to visit!  Be well, stay safe, wash your hands and wear your mask.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

On 1/4/2021 at 12:53 PM, Overhead Fred said:

The days are getting longer so summer is on its way! (Pay no attention to those folks ice fishing on the lake)

@Seasick Sailor - If we lived closer, our son would probably offer to give Sophie a home.

I am enjoying my new toy. I have "The New Classical FM 96.3" streaming on the Amazon Echo now. That is the Toronto station we always listen to when we are at our cottage. Since we missed the lake for 2020, it is a comfort to hear some familiar voices! Now all I need is to hear a Rona or Canadian Tire commercial or two, eh!

20171010_190712.thumb.jpg.6d45e20200f61590d5d6047ccbd95155.jpg

1240582464_20171116_111225(2).thumb.jpg.e6fc4af7a0592625ce925e9698ee60f6.jpg

3$

It would not surprise me in the least to see Carnival Corp make additional financing,  cost savings or fleet adjustment announcements when they release their FY20 annual financial statements sometime over the next few weeks.

Edited by iancal

1 hour ago, Crazy For Cats said:

I just saw this announcement on the HAL FB page.  Not unexpected but disappointing.  I suspect that there will be further delays.

Me too.  I had a diy b2b with Vancouver/Vancouver May 15th on Koningsdam and Seattle/Seattle May 23rd on Oosterdam.

Oosterdam hasn't been cancelled but I'll wait to make any changes until we know more about the future... might move it to later in the summer or 2022 if necessary.

*sigh*

About three hours ago I got an emale rom the Presient of HAL teling that My April 11th cruise on the Nieuw Statendam has been cancelled.  I am disappointed but not shocked.  Right now I am looking at November!

We were going to cancel our April 24 cruise in the next few weeks (before final payment) because there was no way this cruise was going to happen.  Thankful HAL did it for us, we're just moving the extra $$ on to our late fall cruise.  Fourth cancellation for us, and we have 4 future bookings....

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

We were going to cancel our April 24 cruise in the next few weeks (before final payment) because there was no way this cruise was going to happen.  Thankful HAL did it for us, we're just moving the extra $$ on to our late fall cruise.  Fourth cancellation for us, and we have 4 future bookings....

I'm sorry about that.  I had two cancelled cruises so decided to wait until cruises actually start again before I book a cruise.  Hope to see you on the ships again...

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, 65 Gator said:

I'm sorry about that.  I had two cancelled cruises so decided to wait until cruises actually start again before I book a cruise.  Hope to see you on the ships again...

Thank you Leon, and we can't wait to cruise with you and Jenny again. 🙂 

• Like 1