VACCINE AVAILABILITY

mcrcruiser

38 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

.Additionally ,I never saw any clear cut evidence on how long the initial vaccines worked to protect us   .If there is some relative information on these topics  kindly post them 

@KroozNut answered your question about the latest word on the length of vaccine effectiveness. 

Yes, there is still lots to learn, and it is important facts are used and not anecdotal info and beliefs. The reason we don't know how long the protection lasts from the vaccines is the same reason we don't how long antibodies lasts from actually having Covid...the vaccines and Covid have only been in existence for a very short time. Simply, it takes studies over time to determine these things. It is not something that can be projected or predicted by a computer.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

@KroozNut answered your question about the latest word on the length of vaccine effectiveness. 

Yes, there is still lots to learn, and it is important facts are used and not anecdotal info and beliefs. The reason we don't know how long the protection lasts from the vaccines is the same reason we don't how long antibodies lasts from actually having Covid...the vaccines and Covid have only been in existence for a very short time. Simply, it takes studies over time to determine these things. It is not something that can be projected or predicted by a computer.

Then do you think that the vaccine  mfgs   should do more trials  &  decide if booster shots will be needed  say this fall ,when this virus could spike in   the Nov /Dec time period  . If that happens then how will the cruise industry respond ?   What will the CDC mandate ?  I know that there is no real answer to these 2 questions at this time ;but ,they do bring about possible  difficulties to get cruises really going once again 

Just now, mcrcruiser said:

Then do you think that the vaccine  mfgs   should do more trials  &  decide if booster shots will be needed  say this fall ,when this virus could spike in   the Nov /Dec time period  . If that happens then how will the cruise industry respond ?   What will the CDC mandate ?  I know that there is no real answer to these 2 questions at this time ;but ,they do bring about possible  difficulties to get cruises really going once again 

The vaccine companies ARE doing extensive testing and trials on the needs for a booster shot. 

The virus could do a lot of things between now and Fall, that is a very long time in the Covid world. As Fauci said, if the virus can go from one person to another, it can mutate, because that's when mutation occurs. If most people get vaccinated , less people will get sick, and less change of transmission and mutation. So the cure for mutation is vaccination or acquired immunity...or realistically both.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, CruiserBruce said:

The vaccine companies ARE doing extensive testing and trials on the needs for a booster shot. 

The virus could do a lot of things between now and Fall, that is a very long time in the Covid world. As Fauci said, if the virus can go from one person to another, it can mutate, because that's when mutation occurs. If most people get vaccinated , less people will get sick, and less change of transmission and mutation. So the cure for mutation is vaccination or acquired immunity...or realistically both.

We can  only hope this occurs & the sooner to better  .We want to  cruise to Hawaii Feb ,2022 on Koningsdam   Already booked 😃 

When we got our first shots in January, I was gently advised to drink lots of water.  I asked if wine counted and was told to drink a glass of water between each glass of wine.  :)

When we got our second shots in February, we were strongly advised to take Tylenol and drink lots of water.

Barbara

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, bcummin said:

When we got our first shots in January, I was gently advised to drink lots of water.  I asked if wine counted and was told to drink a glass of water between each glass of wine.  🙂

When we got our second shots in February, we were strongly advised to take Tylenol and drink lots of water.

Barbara

Great post!  Love it!  😀

Cheers,

🍷

• Like 2

13 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

The original trials have not ended.  They are 24 month trials and they will continue to collect information about level of antibodies and other data until the end of the trials.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

Why these questions  ? This has gone far enough .  what is  important is that U was not hydrated  & that is why I got the side effects that I got . whether it effects others like this or not is conjecture

The federal government is stopping at least temporarily using the Johnson & Johnson vaccine and requesting the states do the same.

Johnson & Johnson Vaccine: US Calls for Pause After Blood Clotting Cases (msn.com)

11 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

The federal government is stopping at least temporarily using the Johnson & Johnson vaccine and requesting the states do the same.

Johnson & Johnson Vaccine: US Calls for Pause After Blood Clotting Cases (msn.com)

Thanks for posting this information about the JnJ vaccine .both my wife & I got the shots on April 7th ,6 days ago  .I will carefully watch any reaction  from here on in  .

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

Thanks for posting this information about the JnJ vaccine .both my wife & I got the shots on April 7th ,6 days ago  .I will carefully watch any reaction  from here on in  .

It is probably nothing to worry about as it is rare, but you should at least be alert to the possibility. The article specifically mentions that most doctors are not aware of this rare blood clotting and that the usual medication for blood clots would not only not work, but be harmful.

Agree and hope folks don't worry about the 1/million clotting issues for women with AZ and JJ vaccine.  By way of contrast, studies suggest clotting dangers from 20% of Covid cases.

So get covid, even a non hospital stay case, and a 20% chance of clotting problems.  J&J vaccine, 6 cases out of millions of doses given and one death, not sure total cause. 

The response to pause the vaccine should assure everyone that almost no vaccines have had the scrutiny levels these have.  We are in good hands with our amazing, if imperfect, government and corporate health care leadership teams.  We should celebrate them as heroes as their jobs are unusually difficult and often thankless.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Pizzasteve said:

Agree and hope folks don't worry about the 1/million clotting issues for women with AZ and JJ vaccine.  By way of contrast, studies suggest clotting dangers from 20% of Covid cases.

So get covid, even a non hospital stay case, and a 20% chance of clotting problems.  J&J vaccine, 6 cases out of millions of doses given and one death, not sure total cause. 

The response to pause the vaccine should assure everyone that almost no vaccines have had the scrutiny levels these have.  We are in good hands with our amazing, if imperfect, government and corporate health care leadership teams.  We should celebrate them as heroes as their jobs are unusually difficult and often thankless.

You made good points   .Thanks

2 hours ago, Mary229 said:

An update.  Just checked the Texas dashboard. 49% of all those over the age of 16 have received at least one dosage.   

Way ahead of our state -- we are at 31% with one dose. But in the last couple of weeks they seem to have finally gotten their collective you-know-what in gear and more vaccination sites and info about how to book appointments is now available....

Edited to add:  Although to be fair, the site I was looking at for my state number above gives Texas (as reported by the Texas HHS) as 41.99%).

https://tabexternal.dshs.texas.gov/t/THD/views/COVID-19VaccineinTexasDashboard/Summary?%3Aorigin=card_share_link&%3Aembed=y&%3AisGuestRedirectFromVizportal=y

Edited by cruisemom42

Nice.  In Alameda County, our state is 49% and county, over 54% of people over 16 have at least one dose.  Great progress.  My sister and I have been occassionally volunteering at vaccine sites.

Should clarify the prior post, the 20% clotting issues is for trackec, hospitalized cases, for others we dont know, as data is unknown, just estimated.

Edited by Pizzasteve
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Pizzasteve said:

The scrutiny, as in use of the VAERS (Vaccine Adverse Event Reports System), is pretty standard within the FDA.  This is what the system is set up to do. Look for even rare safety signals to identify any anomalies as soon as possible.  Not unique to the Covid vaccines,  used for any vaccine approved in the US.

It should give some assurance to people that 1. FDA takes vaccine safety very seriously  2. That even very small signals (rare events) can be detected and acted upon.

Edited by nocl
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Way ahead of our state -- we are at 31% with one dose. But in the last couple of weeks they seem to have finally gotten their collective you-know-what in gear and more vaccination sites and info about how to book appointments is now available....

Edited to add:  Although to be fair, the site I was looking at for my state number above gives Texas (as reported by the Texas HHS) as 41.99%).

https://tabexternal.dshs.texas.gov/t/THD/views/COVID-19VaccineinTexasDashboard/Summary?%3Aorigin=card_share_link&%3Aembed=y&%3AisGuestRedirectFromVizportal=y

I don't fault any state for their distribution efforts.  They can only administer what is delivered to them by the federal government.  I am sure your state is just like Texas where we seem to be able to distribute every single dose of the weekly allotment by Sunday afternoon.  

1 hour ago, Mary229 said:

I don't fault any state for their distribution efforts.  They can only administer what is delivered to them by the federal government.  I am sure your state is just like Texas where we seem to be able to distribute every single dose of the weekly allotment by Sunday afternoon.  

Actually no, and that is part of the problem I've had with my state. They were very slow to get distribution efforts going. At one point several months in, they were only distributing about 2/3 of vaccine received per week.

We were consistently ranked between 48-50 of 50 states in terms of efficiency of rollout.

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

Actually no, and that is part of the problem I've had with my state. They were very slow to get distribution efforts going. At one point several months in, they were only distributing about 2/3 of vaccine received per week.

We were consistently ranked between 48-50 of 50 states in terms of efficiency of rollout.

That's not good.  Those vaccines have a shelf life.  During the big storm in Texas some of the vaccines were going to expire and they immediately took them to congregant living facilities that were not yet "on the list".  An expired vaccine is to be avoided at all costs.

• Like 1

Woohoo, Got my second shot today. Both of my kids have gotten their first. Today we were able to get appointments for three more family members before all of the slots were gone. Seems like most of our extended family have gotten Moderna. Appointments still are disappearing off of the state website within minutes, still a huge demand here, but with each appointment we are hopeful for a more normal summer.

• Like 2

Hooray!! Got my second Pfizer dose today at my local grocery pharmacy. Super easy and fast. Appointments are now locally available in multiple locations and easy to get about a week out on almost any day and time. Lots of younger folks getting vaccinated now too. Dh has one more dose to go and then we will just be waiting for a safe effective vaccine for our daughter. Then our whole family will be done. 

• Like 7

4 hours ago, fatcat04 said:

Hooray!! Got my second Pfizer dose today at my local grocery pharmacy. Super easy and fast. Appointments are now locally available in multiple locations and easy to get about a week out on almost any day and time. Lots of younger folks getting vaccinated now too. Dh has one more dose to go and then we will just be waiting for a safe effective vaccine for our daughter. Then our whole family will be done. 

Congrats and awesome!  👏👏👏

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1