Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Texas Department of Health has a statement on their website to expect a large date upload this evening.  These new vaccines will be for over 65 and those under 65 with certain pre-existing conditions.  They use a mapping system, the map tells where, which vaccine and how many doses .

It is here. Texas Department of Health Vaccine Availability Map

 

The better question is, is when is the FDA going to approve the other 3 or 4 vaccines in the pipeline?

Edited by Mary229
Link to post
Share on other sites

I work for nhs in the uk and supporting the setting up of vaccination hubs.  We are vaccinating an amazing amount of people and this week we have the large vaccinating centres opening up.  My husband has has had his first and I will be receiving mind next week.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Using hospitals as community vaccination centers just ain't cuttin' it.  We need to handle this like we did the polio vaccine in the 50s.  School gymnasiums, fire halls, school cafeterias, arenas, etc. need to be set up as distribution centers.  My whole family went and we picked up grandma and grandpa along the way.  No one asked how old we were or if we were in Group 1b2.  They just stuck a needle in our arm.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Roz said:

Using hospitals as community vaccination centers just ain't cuttin' it.  We need to handle this like we did the polio vaccine in the 50s.  School gymnasiums, fire halls, school cafeterias, arenas, etc. need to be set up as distribution centers.  My whole family went and we picked up grandma and grandpa along the way.  No one asked how old we were or if we were in Group 1b2.  They just stuck a needle in our arm.

Amen!

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mary229 said:

The better question is, is when is the FDA going to approve the other 3 or 4 vaccines in the pipeline?

There are two vaccines wrapping up their Phase 3 testing and analyzing the results. Their presentations to the FDA are expected around Feb 1. There is a third vaccine (AstraZenica) in the pipeline which has been approved in a couple other countries,  but the US has requested additional studies, because of the dosing error issue...the situation where the first dose was accidentally a half dose, but the results appear to be even better in the half dose than in the full dose. Not sure how long these additionally studies will require.

 

Unfortunately, the AstraZenica vaccine had the greatest number of doses pre-ordered by the US.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Roz said:

Using hospitals as community vaccination centers just ain't cuttin' it.  We need to handle this like we did the polio vaccine in the 50s.  School gymnasiums, fire halls, school cafeterias, arenas, etc. need to be set up as distribution centers.  My whole family went and we picked up grandma and grandpa along the way.  No one asked how old we were or if we were in Group 1b2.  They just stuck a needle in our arm.

Logistics is the driving factor here. The number of available doses and target audiences aren't warranting greater site usage. The complex refrigeration issue is hampering things. There aren't an unlimited number of people to do the jabbing, adding in the requirements for monitoring for a period of time after inoculation. 

 

They will get to the mass vaccination centers...

Link to post
Share on other sites

I found this NYT info interesting 

 

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/covid-19-vaccine-doses.html?campaign_id=9&emc=edit_nn_20210110&instance_id=25857&nl=the-morning&regi_id=152227726&segment_id=48890&te=1&user_id=e01ace66437d8943ecb4681e7c7ecfd1


Never would have thought West Virginia would be in the lead with 4.9% of its population vaccinated and 69% of its allocated doses in peoples arms.  Despite all the posts about Florida’s distribution, it’s 31st in the list with 1.9%.  Who knew....

Link to post
Share on other sites

We need to be creative.  Call up retired nurses that still have their licenses and get them to vaccinate the masses.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Roz said:

We need to be creative.  Call up retired nurses that still have their licenses and get them to vaccinate the masses.

Use doctor and pharmaceutical students, use military medics. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Roz said:

We need to be creative.  Call up retired nurses that still have their licenses and get them to vaccinate the masses.

 In Brevard County Florida where I live they are asking for volunteers to assist.  I signed up as I am a retired RN. I also gave flu vaccines to a large corporation for many years.  There were about 50 people signed up ahead of me.

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Louisiana 36th in distribution.  As of tomorrow, approximately 17,500 doses available for the 650,000 qualified under tier 1B.  Getting vaccinated here depends on who you know; unfortunately, I don't know anyone to pull strings for me. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I live in Georgia and our District Health Dept. has set up vaccination sites in 4 nearby counties for this Tuesday the 12th.  We have appointments for our shots Tuesday morning at one of the locations.  They are asking for medical personnel, first responders, over 65 adults, and caregivers of over 65 individuals to be included at this time.  Not sure why we would be considered last in the nation on that NYT list, but I think all states have to get coordinated and sometimes a state will do a better job than another state.  It will get done!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Its strange that Oklahoma is 16th on the list yet our sign up system is a TOTAL mess with MANY people enraged over it.  I wonder how bad the system is in the states ranked below us.

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Roz said:

We need to be creative.  Call up retired nurses that still have their licenses and get them to vaccinate the masses.

That is what we are doing,  anyone who is medicinal trained in giving injections and those who are not are being up trained.   The trouble at the moment is our hospital are now at breaking point and having to redeploy now clinical to help on the wards. Its a nightmare, but  we have the highest number of people vaccinated so far, I believe.

Link to post
Share on other sites

We are in an AstraZeneca trial run by the military/Geneva Foundation in San Diego, they are hoping to submit for FDA approval in February.   

Edited by kiwimum
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mame42 said:

Louisiana 36th in distribution.  As of tomorrow, approximately 17,500 doses available for the 650,000 qualified under tier 1B.  Getting vaccinated here depends on who you know; unfortunately, I don't know anyone to pull strings for me. 

My sister, a nurse, got hers in December at Oschner and her final last week.  My mother and older sibs were all able to get their vaccines last week either in Jefferson Parish or Tangipahoa Parish.  Call your local hospital or hospital clinic

 

As to the ranking it all depends on how the state aggregates the data and how often the state releases the data.  That table is like comparing apples to oranges

Edited by Mary229
Link to post
Share on other sites

Daveokc. is correct. I have been trying to check the website for Tulsa and its a complete fiasco. It brings up the centers and then tells you there are no appointments available anywhere near you. I am with Roz, open up larger areas. My family drove from Maine to Massachusetts to the  Massachusetts State Armory for all of us to get the polio shots. I still remember all the Drs. lined up and the national guard moving us right along. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mame42 said:

Louisiana 36th in distribution.  As of tomorrow, approximately 17,500 doses available for the 650,000 qualified under tier 1B.  Getting vaccinated here depends on who you know; unfortunately, I don't know anyone to pull strings for me. 

Ah, somewhere Huey Long is smiling.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cunnorl said:

 In Brevard County Florida where I live they are asking for volunteers to assist.  I signed up as I am a retired RN. I also gave flu vaccines to a large corporation for many years.  There were about 50 people signed up ahead of me.

 

 

 

Thank you!  Its people like you that will get us out of this mess.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I live in Georgia and our District Health Dept. has set up vaccination sites in 4 nearby counties for this Tuesday the 12th.  We have appointments for our shots Tuesday morning at one of the locations.  They are asking for medical personnel, first responders, over 65 adults, and caregivers of over 65 individuals to be included at this time.  Not sure why we would be considered last in the nation on that NYT list, but I think all states have to get coordinated and sometimes a state will do a better job than another state.  It will get done!

Its strictly based on how successful a state has been in getting shots in the arms based on shots given/shots distributed to the state.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with RiverCruising, the River Cruise Experts
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...