VACCINE AVAILABILITY

mcrcruiser

2 hours ago, KirkNC said:

I just read that both Pfizer and Moderna will manufacture 200 million vaccines each by July.  That supports my expectation that anyone who wants a vaccine will get one somewhere in that time frame.  In the interim, patience will be required.  

The number has now been upped to 300 million doses each.

The hospital 1/2 mile from my house just announced a vaccine event Fri and Sat for 5000 first time shots.  Friday was filled in 15 minutes.  There are only about 100,000 people over 65 in the OKC Metro area, and not in nursing homes, so this is a good size event for us (covers about 5% of this group).

Even prior to this, everyone I know over 65 in this area has already had at least the first shot, so I think we are well on our way to at least cover the most vulnerable age group.  We get our second shots on Thursday and are very excited to get this done.

• Like 2

My Doctors office (9 doctor group) had 800 doses that they used for over 65 (they have 2500+ over 65 patients) I called and got on the wait list as our county the lines are 2-5 hours. I was called last night and they scheduled first dose this Saturday and second dose in 30 days.

I am looking forward to getting "stuck"

A-

Edited by AlanF65
  • Like 4

Well I am happy today because my mom got her first dose! She and buddy from her 55+ community (which is in a neighboring county to Metro Nashville Davidson Co.) went together and got their first dose at their county's drive up vaccine site and they go back in 3 weeks to get the next dose. She said it was very well organized by the county health department and the TN National Guard and while there was a wait, she was able to stay in her car the whole time and everything went very smooth. And she said it didn't even hurt. You go mom! :classic_biggrin:

• Like 6

Here in Oklahoma, 50% of the 65+ group now have at least one shot in their arms - good progress I think.  It seems the number of cases and hospitalizations are currently declining.

Also, saw this comment on the 5 leading vaccines I thought was important to know:

"The biggest takeaway is that while the vaccines differ in how well they prevent symptomatic disease, so far nobody who has taken any of these vaccines have died or been hospitalized due to COVID-19. Preventing severe disease is something all the shots do well, so even imperfect vaccines will prove invaluable in our quest to end the pandemic."

Edited by DaveOKC
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

Here in Oklahoma, 50% of the 65+ group now have at least one shot in their arms - good progress I think.  It seems the number of cases and hospitalizations are currently declining.

Also, saw this comment on the 5 leading vaccines I thought was important to know:

"The biggest takeaway is that while the vaccines differ in how well they prevent symptomatic disease, so far nobody who has taken any of these vaccines have died or been hospitalized due to COVID-19. Preventing severe disease is something all the shots do well, so even imperfect vaccines will prove invaluable in our quest to end the pandemic."

Let us all pray for  vaccine relief  asap 

• Like 1

Some good news for Canadians, and some worrisome news for everyone.

Canada has a license to produce the Novavax vaccine in Canada. Together with the local Providence Therapeutics, this goes a long way to self-sufficiency in late 2021.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/vaccines-canada-production-trudeau-1.5897343

The problem is the disturbing findings. That protection against the South Africa variant is only 50-60%. ***No protection for those previously infected.*** Bear in mind that the preliminary report is based on a tiny number of infections.

“More concerning is what the study showed about a totally different question — the chances of people getting COVID-19 a second time, said the leader of the South African study, Shabir Madhi of the University of the Witwatersrand in Johannesburg. Tests suggested that nearly a third of study participants had been previously infected, yet rates of new infections in the placebo group were similar.”

https://globalnews.ca/news/7605972/coronavirus-variant-vaccine-novavax/

The bottom line is that by autumn. Most of the advanced economies will be largely self-sufficient. Just in time to begin a new round of vax for the variants!

• Like 1

Wife and I won't go on a cruise until they make it mandatory for vaccination.  We need to be away from the Covid crisis and that means to not intensify it by distancing, mask wearing, etc.  Can you imagine playing bridge while masked up!!

If you want a vacation, the rules that they have in place will make boot camp look good.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, drrtc1 said:

Wife and I won't go on a cruise until they make it mandatory for vaccination.  We need to be away from the Covid crisis and that means to not intensify it by distancing, mask wearing, etc.  Can you imagine playing bridge while masked up!!

If you want a vacation, the rules that they have in place will make boot camp look good.

Even if they make vaccination mandatory do not be surprised if they still require distancing and masks until the incidence number get pretty low.

• Like 1

On 2/5/2021 at 8:31 AM, HappyInVan said:

Canada will be fine. Positivity rate now 3%.

Global new deaths per capita Jan 25.JPG

I wish I shared your optimism, but looking at the modelling for the new variants, it’s not looking good with easing of restrictions in Ontario, Alberta And Quebec.  

• Like 2

Just by way of encouragement, not that you folks need it but still. Dh had his physical yesterday and to say our much loved and trusted family primary care physician who has treated 4 generations of my family, who graduated top of his class, and was chief resident at a very prestigious teaching hospital, to say he was enthusiastic about the present vaccines available to us in the US would simply be an understatement. He talked to my dh for a long time about the exceptional amount of work that has gone into these vaccines. You can tell he has researched this extensively and has a huge amount of confidence in these vaccines. If my doctor says do it, I trust him 100%. No reservations. I have always found him to be ultra-cautious and he has been my doc for 30 years. 

Edited by fatcat04
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 2/5/2021 at 10:24 AM, geocruiser said:

My family is stilling waiting.  No one over the age of 65 in my family has received the vaccine.  Two 90 year old plus family members have not received it.  This is in up state NY.

Update.

Friday night I received a call from our hospital.  Myself and one 90 year old were able to get the shot.  The other 90 year old has a appointment on Tuesday.  I was very happy.  We got our shots on Sat.

Edited by geocruiser
  • Like 3

On 2/4/2021 at 11:50 AM, mcrcruiser said:

Let us all pray for  vaccine relief  asap 

Amen.

Vaccine distribution seems to be working in Florida so far. The Governor gave the vaccine to front line workers/ medical workers first with those over 65 years old next. As of yesterday 25% of seniors in State have received at least one dose. I go for my first shot tomorrow and my DW had her 2nd shot last Friday.

• Like 4

On 1/30/2021 at 11:52 AM, mcrcruiser said:

This highly contagious  strain from South Africa is already here in San Diego .We heard it on our  local TV  & our county of San Diego e-mail to us  . These variant strains of covid certainly do not bode well for cruising to resume any time in the near future imo  .We are concerned about  making a final payment in October 25th for our Hawaii cruise Feb 2nd ,2022 ,at the rate these new strains are being found to exist

The African strain has not been diagnosed in San Diego.  
Plenty of appts available today at the drive up facility at Petco Park.

A8B762B8-E547-4283-9690-4FA319E55244.png

Here is an interesting news story today which might help explain how Pfizer production levels will be increasing in the coming days and weeks which would definitely help on the supply side with getting more shots in the arms sooner than later.

Pfizer expects to cut COVID-19 vaccine production time by close to 50% as production ramps up, efficiencies increase (msn.com)

• Like 1