25 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Let's wait for the dust to settle on this. It may, or might not, affect J&J distribution in the US. The 11 million doses J&J were supposed to ship this week came from another plant that also needed certification for final product. That certification was expected last Monday. I have not heard the certification didn't happen, but I did hear the 11 million doses did ship.

It takes a certain amount of time to make a batch of doses. Not sure how fast or easy it is to "ramp up" production. J&J had already committed to a number of activities to increase production,  like the production merger with Merck.

That is the positive spin. Appts are already being canceled in certain areas this week. The doses that are coming this week originated in the Netherlands. 

4 minutes ago, Laminator said:

That is the positive spin. Appts are already being canceled in certain areas this week. The doses that are coming this week originated in the Netherlands. 

Do you have a link to support  this information ?

54 minutes ago, Laminator said:

Not trying to spin...note I said let's wait to see how this settles out. I tried to look at both sides.

2 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Not trying to spin...note I said let's wait to see how this settles out. I tried to look at both sides.

According to Time magazine,  J&J did in fact deliver the promised 20 million doses by end of March, is promising another 24 million doses by April 30, and finishing their initial 100 million dose commitment by end of May.

1 minute ago, CruiserBruce said:

According to Time magazine,  J&J did in fact deliver the promised 20 million doses by end of March, is promising another 24 million doses by April 30, and finishing their initial 100 million dose commitment by end of May.

Thanks this all seems logical . Then we should be able to get the JnJ by June the latest  ;which is only 2 months away . We might be able to get it sooner according to your post .it all depends on distribution here in SD county 

11 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

Thanks this all seems logical . Then we should be able to get the JnJ by June the latest  ;which is only 2 months away . We might be able to get it sooner according to your post .it all depends on distribution here in SD county 

It's up to your county. Many counties are pushing the J&J towards harder to reach communities...homeless, remote locations, etc. 

It's up to your county. Many counties are pushing the J&J towards harder to reach communities...homeless, remote locations, etc. 

Understand what you are saying .We are on several lists in the county   for the JnJ . They know that we are primarily house bound & our ages . We go to the stores for food & doctor visits  where  necessary  & that is it . no relative visits or neighbor visits for over a year now . That is the hard part 

30 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Those doses have been in the pipeline for a while. Appt cancelations here are 4 to 6 weeks down the road as I am not sure of their confidence level in delivery going into early to mid May. Bad timing for the State of Indiana I guess as they opened up to anyone over 16 from any State yesterday. I don't see this as much of an overall issue here as around only 4% of the daily vaccinations here are JnJ. Still going to cause some issues in the communities though. 
I have to say that I have been impressed with Indiana. They let you know during the sign up process which sites have which vaccines. And the sign up process is very easy.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, mcrcruiser said:

Cal Fire has slots available with JNJ vaccine for Saturday but you will need to travel to Jamul.  https://www.caprepmod.org/reg/1160720954?fbclid=IwAR2eiHWo-6Dx7ukZXAPr_YZxtvZA1rbmQgXAOk-uDfRJ8zH9jUyfPfqb3lo

Edited by kiwimum
4 minutes ago, kiwimum said:

Cal Fire has slots available with JNJ vaccine for Saturday but you will need to travel to Jamul.  https://www.caprepmod.org/reg/1160720954?fbclid=IwAR2eiHWo-6Dx7ukZXAPr_YZxtvZA1rbmQgXAOk-uDfRJ8zH9jUyfPfqb3lo

See there are many problems .One I can not stand for long times  .I j=have a physical ailment  .I have seen the county locations & only 2 were drive through .one was Del Mar  . Calif & the county  of Sd did not make things easier for us seniors   .Additionally ,by diverting JnJ vaccines to poorer areas of the state ,the Gov took it upon himself  to deny seniors in other areas  . it is apparent other states have a better way to get vaccines to home bound seniors than des California . 

6 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

Understand what you are saying .We are on several lists in the county   for the JnJ . They know that we are primarily house bound & our ages . We go to the stores for food & doctor visits  where  necessary  & that is it . no relative visits or neighbor visits for over a year now . That is the hard part 

On 3/31/2021 at 7:22 AM, mcrcruiser said:

We will wait for the JnJ vaccine . We are in no rush to travel until Sept 13th   on a land trip to the National Parks 

Other than my husband, I haven't seen any family member  for over 16 months (only Zoom). No visiting with friends. Limited trips to the supermarket and Costco. We've been extremely cautious. Now that we are fully vaccinated, we have eaten in our 1st restaurant - outdoors only - and we kept our masks on until the food was served. Yes, it's been hard. But it was worth it to me to me to be safe.  I put in the time and effort to get the vaccine. I felt very strongly that I would do WHATEVER I could to get the vaccine asap - legally and not lie about my eligibility. Not only was I trying to keep myself healthy, but I feel it is important to get the vaccine as soon as I could to help others around me. If I'm vaccinated, then the risk I could spread it to others is minimized - even if I'm masked and limit interactions.

I am struggling to understand the OP.  In one post he writes that he is "primarily housebound." In the other post, he is doing a land trip to the National Parks. If he is mobile enough to do a "land trip," I don't understand why he can't drive to a local vaccine site (or get a ride from a friend or family - or even Uber).

He keeps complaining about the lack of supply. But when several others try to help him, he states that he "can't" go to that local facility to get a vaccine. Now, he claims he must get J&J, adding another barrier to getting vaccinated. Does he just want to keep complaining and bashing the county/state? The system isn't perfect. But over 1.5M people in San Diego have made considerable effort to get at least the 1st vaccine.

Good news. 

https://news.yahoo.com/pfizer-says-covid-19-vaccine-120813815.html

Pfizer says its COVID-19 vaccine is still highly effective after 6 months

The COVID-19 vaccine from Pfizer and BioNTech is highly effective against symptomatic COVID-19 for at least six months after a second dose, a new analysis has shown.

The companies on Thursday announced that in an analysis of its phase 3 study that included 927 symptomatic COVID-19 cases, the vaccine was 91.3 percent effective "measured seven days through up to six months after the second dose." It was also 100 percent effective against severe disease as defined by the CDC, as well as 95.3 percent effective against severe disease as defined by the FDA, the companies said. There were no serious safety concerns.

Additionally, Pfizer and BioNTech said the vaccine was 100 percent effective against COVID-19 cases in South Africa, where a concerning variant has been spreading.

33 minutes ago, sandiego1 said:

I am struggling to understand the OP.  In one post he writes that he is "primarily housebound." In the other post, he is doing a land trip to the National Parks. If he is mobile enough to do a "land trip," I don't understand why he can't drive to a local vaccine site (or get a ride from a friend or family - or even Uber).

He keeps complaining about the lack of supply. But when several others try to help him, he states that he "can't" go to that local facility to get a vaccine. Now, he claims he must get J&J, adding another barrier to getting vaccinated. Does he just want to keep complaining and bashing the county/state? The system isn't perfect. But over 1.5M people in San Diego have made considerable effort to get at least the 1st vaccine.

Some people tend to find a problem for every solution. The OP posts as if he is one of them. 

29 minutes ago, RuthC said:

Some people tend to find a problem for every solution. The OP posts as if he is one of them. 

He is also very active on a roll call for a cruise we are booked on.

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

Do you have a link to support  this information ?

In Indiana they list the sites you can get an appt at along with what vaccine they administer. The only site that has the JnJ vax in my area is the local health dept. They administer JnJ exclusively. However when you look to make an appt at that site it no longer comes up. It did 2 days ago. I check this site everyday as the stats interest me. There are still JnJ vaccines out there. They will simply be much harder to come by for a while.

image.thumb.png.54e0c0e24ded3a7fb36bfbc62984cdd9.png

Edited by Laminator

Publix in our area is doing only JnJ and they have been "sold out" for days now. I think JnJ "one and done" supply is low and demand is high. Lots of working folks like the one stop shop part of it.

Talked to Dr office today about when we could get our vaccine since we had Covid back in December/January and they okayed me now so I booked this very afternoon for my 1st Pfizer shot tomorrow. Woot! So excited! Dh and ds can book next week. 

1 hour ago, fatcat04 said:

Publix in our area is doing only JnJ and they have been "sold out" for days now. I think JnJ "one and done" supply is low and demand is high. Lots of working folks like the one stop shop part of it.

Talked to Dr office today about when we could get our vaccine since we had Covid back in December/January and they okayed me now so I booked this very afternoon for my 1st Pfizer shot tomorrow. Woot! So excited! Dh and ds can book next week. 

As discussed here many times, J&J has released about 20 million doses, starting in early March, hitting that number literally in the last few days. Moderna and Pfizer have released  closer to 80 million doses each, starting in December. The math is pretty clear.

Folks, this is not a TV show, where every crisis is fixed in 44 minutes ( the length of a 60 minute TV show without the commercials).

3 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

As discussed here many times, J&J has released about 20 million doses, starting in early March, hitting that number literally in the last few days. Moderna and Pfizer have released  closer to 80 million doses each, starting in December. The math is pretty clear.

Folks, this is not a TV show, where every crisis is fixed in 44 minutes ( the length of a 60 minute TV show without the commercials).

I don't think I intimated that this was like a TV show, all wrapped up in 44 mins as you say. I was merely relaying that supply and demand seems to be an issue with the JnJ vaccine... which if I am not mistaken is your point as well. Maybe it is not your intention and this is just an internet thing but your tone in condescending and very acerbic

11 minutes ago, fatcat04 said:

I don't think I intimated that this was like a TV show, all wrapped up in 44 mins as you say. I was merely relaying that supply and demand seems to be an issue with the JnJ vaccine... which if I am not mistaken is your point as well. Maybe it is not your intention and this is just an internet thing but your tone in condescending and very acerbic

There is NO shortage with J&J, they have only been distributing for a couple of weeks. Comparing them to Moderna and Pfizer, with their longer experience,  is apples and oranges. Remember we were told there would be 20 million shots in arms in the last 15 days of December,  with TWO vaccines approved. We barely got to 4 million doses in that time.

My comment about solving crises is a general, societal comment. "They", whom ever "they" is, NEVER get it right, like the heroes on TV always do. So, in the real world, "they" get sued daily, blamed daily, screwed over daily, because "everyone" should have known it would have gone the way it did. Those of us who managed large, complex emergencies as part of our jobs know that Mother Nature always votes last, and doesn't operate on our schedule.  It was not a personal comment directed at you, but at several on this thread that have expected unheard of responses, because that what they though "should" happened. 

There is NO shortage with J&J, they have only been distributing for a couple of weeks. Comparing them to Moderna and Pfizer, with their longer experience,  is apples and oranges. Remember we were told there would be 20 million shots in arms in the last 15 days of December,  with TWO vaccines approved. We barely got to 4 million doses in that time.

My comment about solving crises is a general, societal comment. "They", whom ever "they" is, NEVER get it right, like the heroes on TV always do. So, in the real world, "they" get sued daily, blamed daily, screwed over daily, because "everyone" should have known it would have gone the way it did. Those of us who managed large, complex emergencies as part of our jobs know that Mother Nature always votes last, and doesn't operate on our schedule.  It was not a personal comment directed at you, but at several on this thread that have expected unheard of responses, because that what they though "should" happened. 

I did not say there is a shortage of JnJ only that there is a limited amount of JnJ vaccine in our area (and truth be told probably ALL areas) and that the one location that is exclusively JnJ in my area is "sold out" and has been for the past 3 days. I am not comparing any vaccine availability to any other vaccine availability. I made NO other statement other than I am happy to get a vaccine, any vaccine in such a short amount of time, THRILLED actually. Maybe you need to take a chill pill? 

2 minutes ago, fatcat04 said:

I did not say there is a shortage of JnJ only that there is a limited amount of JnJ vaccine in our area (and truth be told probably ALL areas) and that the one location that is exclusively JnJ in my area is "sold out" and has been for the past 3 days. I am not comparing any vaccine availability to any other vaccine availability. I made NO other statement other than I am happy to get a vaccine, any vaccine in such a short amount of time, THRILLED actually. Maybe you need to take a chill pill? 

Well, you said "supply is low and demand is high". Semantics.  My understanding is most, if not all states are distributing based on population proportions. 

I would take a chill pill, if you do...

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Well, you said "supply is low and demand is high". Semantics.  My understanding is most, if not all states are distributing based on population proportions. 

I would take a chill pill, if you do...

Take it for what you will, I know exactly what I meant. Mine was a helpful and joyful post. Joy in getting a vaccine that will secure me and those I love. That you see it as a contentious one and yet another means to disagree with a CC poster once again as you are so apt to do says far more about you than me. 

I for one am happy there is an ignore feature on CC. 

Edited by fatcat04

I’m on the state’s waiting list and got a notice that I can now sign up for a shot.  The only appointment would have me going into Boston.  I am passing for now and will stay on the waitlist.  The stress of going into the big city is more than I’m willing to tolerate.  I’m about 10 minutes from Gillette, a mass vaccination site, and will wait for an appointment there.  Hopefully that will happen next week.

13 hours ago, kiwimum said:

He is also very active on a roll call for a cruise we are booked on.

what does being active on the roll call have to do with wanting to get the  JnJ  vaccine  ?  imo you totally misunderstand  our needs  . Hopefully this post would bring this to your attention 

The cruise is not until Feb 2 ,2022 & there is no question we will be well vaccinated by that time . BYW ,did you notice we are booked into a handicap cabin 

14 hours ago, sandiego1 said:

Other than my husband, I haven't seen any family member  for over 16 months (only Zoom). No visiting with friends. Limited trips to the supermarket and Costco. We've been extremely cautious. Now that we are fully vaccinated, we have eaten in our 1st restaurant - outdoors only - and we kept our masks on until the food was served. Yes, it's been hard. But it was worth it to me to me to be safe.  I put in the time and effort to get the vaccine. I felt very strongly that I would do WHATEVER I could to get the vaccine asap - legally and not lie about my eligibility. Not only was I trying to keep myself healthy, but I feel it is important to get the vaccine as soon as I could to help others around me. If I'm vaccinated, then the risk I could spread it to others is minimized - even if I'm masked and limit interactions.

It is very hard ti understand when any one judges another with out  knowing the person &  solely going off a post here   .First to be clear a trip to the National Parks is traveling by car & even in the park we don't need to walk very far  because we can see most scenes from the car . We are not hiking ,at our age &  limitations

We are both basically house bound  with the exception of local stores ,doctor visits  .We surely want the JnJ vaccine & patiently wait for supply to be available   relatively close with in 15. miles   

Apparently you feel that you are the only person who sacrificed . Well ,we & millions of other Americans also sacrificed  for the good of all . We too have not been able to visit ,out adult children ,grand children & great grand children   . That is the hardest part  .Another very serious issue is that I have degenerative  lower back disease which prohibits me from standing for any period of time  .I need a scooter & the only palce for testing is a hospital which is a petrie dish  .My HMO medicare insurance company will not provide me that portable scooter until I am tested & again the only place for that test is a hospital  in Oceanside Calif called Tri city hospital  .don;t you think i want that portable scooter that can fit in the  back of our car  ? Of course because with out it I can not get around or even take a cruise  .A wheel chair will not work  .If when we flew & in the airport I always got help with a wheel chair .I could never stand in  long lines for the security check .

I hope that you & yours never have a  mobility problem