The Daily for Sunday Jan 10, 2021

richwmn

today is Bittersweet Chocolate Day, Houseplant Appreciation Day, and Peculiar People Day

Zymurgy's Law of Volunteer Labor:
    People are always available for work in the past tense.

Meal suggestion for today - Sausage & Grits Lasagna

Drink of the Day - Habanero Blood Organe Margarita

Wine of the day - Los Vascos Chardonnay - Chile - White

at Sea Pacific
Koningsdam
Nieuw Amsterdam destination Los Angeles
Noordam off San Diego
Westerdam off San Diego
Zuiderdam off San Diego

Atlantic Ocean
Nieuw Statendam destination Port Everglades

Torquay
Eurodam
Oosterdam
Volendam
Zaandam

0110World.png

• Like 22
  • Thanks 6

Good morning, it's dark and early, nice to see you're up.🙂  Thanks for the Daily Report.

You had me at chocolate.  I appreciate my houseplants and will water my orchid and some others today if they need it.   Peculiar people, that's me!  I didn't know I had a day.  Actually, I think that's almost everybody at some point.

Hoping you have  a splendid Sunday, stay safe.

• Like 16

Thank you for the Sunday Daily.  No houseplants but I like the other 2 days.  Interesting quote and the meal sounds interesting as well.  My alternative is Classic Caesar Salad,Filete de Ternera Apanada Con Parmesano (Veal Loin), and Mango/Blueberry Crisp as served on MS Prinsendam January 10, 2019.

https://morethangetaways.files.wordpress.com/2019/01/dishes10.jpg

It was Panama Hat night.  We had a raft of large stuffed penguins, and several of them were in front of the dining room appropriately attired.

https://morethangetaways.files.wordpress.com/2019/01/panamapenguins.jpg

Our waiter also took a picture of our table that night:

https://morethangetaways.files.wordpress.com/2019/01/table19.jpg

Sadly, there's a big imbalance in the lists today:

Today's care list:

Mrs Vmax with radiation looming

Caregiver Gsel and her DH battling Alzheimers

NextOne DH with Renal Cancer

kazu’s BIL’s Mom with Cpvod

Our Nation

Himself awaiting test results

Mamaofami’s vaccine dilemma and sick friends

Air crash in Indonesia

HAL (and other crews)

and Krazy Kruisers and Joe

Today's Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Teachers and school workers, especially StLouisCruiser’s DD

Front Line Health Care Workers

Congratulations Bills, Rams, and Buccaneers

First jabs for Mamaofami’s DD

Multiple arrests of rioters

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 24
  • Thanks 3

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂

Love my houseplants and especially the ones blooming right now that help us get through winter.  Seem to be more and more peculiar people lately 😉  Speaking of peculiar people:

EA2FDDB6-B767-48F5-A9E0-69EDDD9A1EF5.jpeg.c9867ce8c355c43fd59f055a39e800d0.jpeg

LOL on Zymurgy’s law.  Love it and too true so many times 😉   

I’ll pass on the meal of the day - no grits, thanks but in honour of the pork, we have either sausages or ham.  And wine, of course 😉 

4E0FC701-98D8-4723-A7B0-12FB7A274988.thumb.jpeg.b0492075e7da57688b147083d14a86fb.jpeg

That drink of the day would sure get DH’s attention with the key words - Habanero & Blood Orange.  Looking forward to Summer’s description.

And YAY, a white wine today.  Can’t wait to see what Cat has to say about it.  

For those who are spending their time at home trying to look younger, I found the secret of eternal youth:

9572F5EE-B0B0-4059-80BA-8636B158330A.thumb.jpeg.3fa873c55eadb6e3322320b8beff0812.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on Roy’s Care list & for those that need them and a toast to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a peaceful, good Sunday everyone.  Stay safe and please, don’t forget your masks 😷 

• Like 26

An excellent grouping of National Days today.  We also gave up houseplants because we were away from home so often.  I think in order to be more positive about the future I will refrain from getting any new houseplants because then there will be no one home to care for them when we get back to cruising later this year.  Fingers crossed!  

Yesterday we got news through our neighborhood pod captain that the District 4 Department of Health was setting up Moderna vaccinations on Tuesday Jan. 12.  We were able to get through on the phone line and arranged appointments for the two of us to get our shots at 9:30 am at the Atlanta Motor Speedway in the county adjoining our county.  That was the closest location to us.  Then 4 weeks later we will get our second vaccination.  They are giving them out to medical personnel, first responders, those of us over 65 and caregivers of those over 65 (not sure how they prove the last one - we have to bring ID to show our age but caregivers can be any age).  I'm excited to be getting some immunity from this nasty virus.  Perhaps in the coming months things will start to look up as more of us can get the vaccine and the numbers of new cases will start to come down.

• Like 20

Well good morning, Rich! I was certain I was going to be too early to see today’s Daily this morning when I checked in at 7:10 this morning. Was I wrong! You had posted 35 minutes earlier. I hope you enjoy doing this and do not think of the Daily as a job.

As always thank you for today’s Daily! A spectacular combo of days. I live in a climate where all my house plants can live on my pool deck. Love all chocolate. And I am fairly certain I just might be one of those peculiar people. 😎

Roy, thank you for keeping our lists. Morning Dailyites & my Sisters. Hope you are all well. Miss you @Seasick Sailor& @DeeniEncinitas.

Profound quote. Grits & lasagna just do not seem to go together, so I will pass. Today’s drink sounds very interesting. 

It was 37 here when Bindi & I headed out this morning. The breeze made it feel colder. I know you Northerners are laughing at me. Go ahead. 

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating. 
Stay well everyone!

This Chardonnay from Chile has very good ratings - for the 2017 vintage. And at a starting online price of $9.99 - you can stock up now! 

Winemaker Notes

Beautiful pale bright yellow. The nose offers the distinctive pineapple, peach, and banana scents of this variety, as well as notes of pear, grapefruit, and elegant floral aromas. Rich, creamy texture, good length, and excellent acidity.
JS90 James Suckling: An appley and lemony white with pear and mineral character. Chalk too. Medium body, bright acidity and a long and clean finish. No wood. Freshness and brightness.

• Like 19

Good morning everyone.  Cat I'm not laughing at you.  It's dern cold!!!  Same as Cat, my houseplants reside on the pool deck.  My Christmas cactus is finally blooming, I think it was in cold storage for the last month.  LOL I love chocolate but bittersweet not so much.  And I am a Peculiar person too.

Will pass on the meal suggestion as we are having Tuna noodle casserole.

Prayers for all of us and congratulations to everyone, we made it through another week.

Stay safe, social distance, and please wear your mask.

Habanero Blood Orange Margarita:

Ingredients
For the Blood Orange Habanero Puree:
2 pints blood orange juice 
1 whole habanero pepper
For the Margarita:
1/4 ounce lime juice (1 wedge; fresh)
1 1/2 ounces tequila (Gran Centenario Reposado)
1 ounce blood orange habanero puree
1 1/2 ounces sour mix
Garnish: 1/4 ounce mole negro (for rim)
Garnish: lime wedge

Make the Blood Orange Habanero Puree
Gather the ingredients.
In a medium saucepan, combine the blood orange juice and habanero pepper.
Bring to a boil, stirring frequently.
Reduce to medium-high heat until thickened into a syrup. 
Remove the pepper, allow to cool, then bottle.
Make the Habanero Blood Orange Margarita
Dip half a cocktail glass rim in mole negro.
In a cocktail shaker, squeeze a lime wedge and add the tequila, blood orange habanero puree, and sour mix.
Pack with ice and shake vigorously.
Strain into the prepared glass and garnish with a lime wedge.
Serve and enjoy!

Screen Shot 2021-01-10 at 7.59.38 AM.png

• Like 16

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  @richwmnyou had me at chocolate again!  Many of our outside plants become houseplants when we feel the first cold weather coming through.  As a result, all our window ledges are covered with plants that we hope will make it through the winter.  I appreciate the ones who do.  LOL

I have to brag about one of our own here on CC; a lady who hasn't posted a lot in the past couple of years, @kakalina.  If any of you happened to watch The Week With Joshua Johnson on MSNBC last night, you would have seen her reading her amazing poem "Capitol Losses" about this week's events.  It has been posted on the site's Twitter feed, and at this point, has had 98,000 views and amazing responses.  I'm so proud of Trisha and her writing.

I'm not sure about today's menu suggestion, but I do know what's for dinner tonight.  DH has asked me to make one of his favourite - salmon patties - which are stupidly easy, but he loves them, so why not?  Served with potatoes and a vegetable will be what's feeding us tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them, and even for those who don't think they do.  Raising our glasses to toast all on the happy list.  Be safe, stay well, wash your hands and wear your mask.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 20

Good morning everyone! Just tuned in to the Ft Lauderdale webcam....it looks like a beautiful day in Ft Lauderdale and the camera is fixed on the beautiful Nieuw Statendam! Maybe another Sailaway thread today....

Hope everyone has a beautiful Sunday.....thanks for the Daily!

• Like 10

33 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

I have to brag about one of our own here on CC; a lady who hasn't posted a lot in the past couple of years, @kakalina.  If any of you happened to watch The Week With Joshua Johnson on MSNBC last night, you would have seen her reading her amazing poem "Capitol Losses" about this week's events.  It has been posted on the site's Twitter feed, and at this point, has had 98,000 views and amazing responses.  I'm so proud of Trisha and her writing.

My shoutout list for tomorrow is already longer than today's.

This link should lead to it:

Roy

Edited by rafinmd
Link
  • Like 15

12 minutes ago, Love the beach said:

Good morning everyone! Just tuned in to the Ft Lauderdale webcam....it looks like a beautiful day in Ft Lauderdale and the camera is fixed on the beautiful Nieuw Statendam! Maybe another Sailaway thread today....

Hope everyone has a beautiful Sunday.....thanks for the Daily!

Maybe she is getting supplies..

• Like 2

Good morning, thank you Rich & Roy.  Also, thanks to the drink ladies and for the funny cartoons.  Roy thanks for the link to the poem, too.

Bittersweet chocolate is my favorite, found a recipe for sausage & grit lasagna that uses Italian sausage so guess it should be renamed sausage & polenta lasagna 😆.

Here is a video I took on this date in 2014 during our Amazon River cruise -- that's one way to load a car onto a riverboat!! 😲

• Like 8

Good Morning Rich and all Dailyites.   We are all unique and those who do not like our uniqueness will describe us as peculiar.  Caro Acutis said we were born originals but too many of us become carbon copies.   Rich thanks for the fleet report.  I am glad the Niruw Statendam his headed to Ft. Lauderdale.  Thanks to all contributors yo this thead.  I hope all are safe and that each of you has a great day!

• Like 11

We had some dark chocolate (65% I think) and red wine for dessert last night after the "spaghetti pie". Tonight might be pulled pork using Friday's leftover roast. 

We were in Georgetown, Cayman Islands today in 2019. It was an overcast day and tendering was a bit difficult due to the number of ships. Including the sadly missed Veendam -

DSC_0630.thumb.JPG.f998f5ec892410b47ebfa698b1b66bd0.JPG

So we stayed onboard and enjoyed the new ship -

376925566_DSC_0631(2).thumb.JPG.119c6fe8f252d78c5667b765cf4333a5.JPG

• Like 16

Good morning all -- I'm one of those peculiar people who can't seem to keep houseplants alive. Be advised that I'm reading/replying just after picking up about 50 leaves dropped by my Christmas poinsettia. 🤷‍♀️.  It's a family joke -- my son once said, upon seeing me bring home a new house plant "Why not just toss it out now and spare us the agony of watching it die?"

Not in favor of sausage and grits lasagna (why???) but I will happily indulge in today's alternative meal and the wine sounds excellent. The cocktail too, for a party. Not for a party of one. :classic_sad:

I think we should not be too quick to shrug off kazu's suggestion -- a winery in Italy has a lot going for it. Maybe a nice Orvieto. Small cooperativos are the general rule there -- I would be happy to serve as the onsite quality control.

image.png.3a5f72d7e18e55e055fd9ea07269a19a.png

• Like 15
  • Haha 1

Good morning. Thanks for the Daily!

I like bittersweet chocolate for baking, but not eating. I took care of my houseplants (orchids and cacti) with their weekly watering today. I have an automatic watering system for the orchids when I'm away.

Haha, @ Peculiar people day! Sausage and grits lasagna sounds interesting.

Prayers for those who need them and cheers to those celebrating.

Stay safe and well, wear your mask!

• Like 9