Jump to content

Cunard ignoring solo passengers


Austcruiser84
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hi, 

 

I am booked as a solo passenger on the Queen Mary 2 for a transatlantic crossing in April 2022 and the Queen Elizabeth for a Pacific coastal cruise in July 2022. I am hoping that the virus situation will be significantly improved by then. If not, I can always cancel the cruises.

 

Chuck

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

Pushing? Obtaining?

Are you American? You must be? If you where English would know this term. 

 

Pushing yes obtaining if you like but we say pushing. Ok perhaps I should have said selling. Pushing is an english term or slang for selling. They are going to sell it on the private market. The are going to be pushing it on the private market. Which they will be. Already doing so with advertising on the their website. 

Edited by ace2542
Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

Are you American? You must be? If you where English would know this term. 

 

Pushing yes obtaining if you like but we say pushing. Ok perhaps I should have said selling. Pushing is an english term or slang for selling. They are going to sell it on the private market. The are going to be pushing it on the private market. Which they will be. Already doing so with advertising on the their website. 

Bless 
Since when did nationality come into question when stating facts?
 
I'm just someone who tries to keep up with Global events of personal interest, but prefers to wait for facts rather than speculate on the possible.
 
 I know exactly what pushing and obtaining means. Not sure you do. Pushing infers an ever so slightly suspect activity.
 
There's nothing suspect when an enterprising company takes a chance on a product, obtains a licence for production, invests millions of $$$ and runs with it.
 
They have no need to 'push'. The world will be gagging for their product.
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Does this isolation of  passengers apply to everyone?  For example, only one couple at one table? No large groups?  Are they going to make the effort to figure out which passengers are in which "bubble"  and then it would okay for that group to sit together?  Obviously , except for isolating solo passengers, this is not going to work.  Kind of like the foolishness that is going on in the US with one part of society with strict covid restrictions  but sending kids and teachers back to the classroom. Unless everyone on a ship is going to be isolated from everyone they do not normally have contact with, it wont work. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes, isolation applies to everyone.  Cunard explicitly states that only passengers who are traveling together will be allowed to dine together.  To be considered "together" the group must have their bookings linked.  

 

It's a very isolating experience for solo travelers but anyone who books under the current situation at least knows that to expect.  Or should know what to expect if they did their homework.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My take on this is that I would bring a book to read when I eat.  It would be impossible to prevent single travelers from interacting with other passengers in public areas on the ship.  There would be plenty of opportunities to make friends.  Does Cunard have anytime dining in their dining rooms like other cruise lines?  If so, singles can make friends during the day and just show up as a group to be seated at dinner.  It would be next to impossible for the staff to enforce this.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, steve4031 said:

My take on this is that I would bring a book to read when I eat.  It would be impossible to prevent single travelers from interacting with other passengers in public areas on the ship.  There would be plenty of opportunities to make friends.  Does Cunard have anytime dining in their dining rooms like other cruise lines?  If so, singles can make friends during the day and just show up as a group to be seated at dinner.  It would be next to impossible for the staff to enforce this.  

Gook luck.  One, Cunard claims that they will enforce social distancing.  Hard to do with 6ft or 2m of distance.

 

Two, Cunard has not as yet had "anytime" dining at dinner except for Britinnia Club and Grills passengers. These people are assigned a table for the entire voyage.

 

Three,  a group of solos who show up at breakfast or lunch in the main dining room will be questioned by the Maitre D'.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, if couples are also being isolated by themselves, and not just solo passengers, that is fair, although not fun .  While I would like to have people to talk to during meals it isnt going to ruin the trip for me. I dont do much socializing outside of the dining room.   I thought I was going to have to eat alone the first night  in 2013(I new they assigned seats but not the first night). The host was in the process of finding me a table when two single women jumped up and said "sit with us!"  So, whatever. However, I cant see this working in the King's Court. Are they actually going to go around to the tables making sure the people sitting there  are traveling together. Will they make people move their seats and tray if not. OR do they plan to take out the King's Court. That would be the deal breaker for me.  That option is necessary. One night I slept through dinner lol!  I needed to have the buffet option. 

Edited by Smitheroo
typo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Smitheroo said:

Well, if couples are also being isolated by themselves, and not just solo passengers, that is fair, although not fun .  While I would like to have people to talk to during meals it isnt going to ruin the trip for me. I dont do much socializing outside of the dining room.   I thought I was going to have to eat alone the first night  in 2013(I new they assigned seats but not the first night). The host was in the process of finding me a table when two single women jumped up and said "sit with us!"  So, whatever. However, I cant see this working in the King's Court. Are they actually going to go around to the tables making sure the people sitting there  are traveling together. Will they make people move their seats and tray if not. OR do they plan to take out the King's Court. That would be the deal breaker for me.  That option is necessary. One night I slept through dinner lol!  I needed to have the buffet option. 

It would likely be enforced as it is in New York under "reduced capacity" indoor dining: Every other table removed or marked off as closed.  Cunard might even have a host/hostess to escort passengers to a table rather than let people sit where they please as had been the case.   They will be highly motivated to enforce this or cell phone videos of passengers dining together just like the "good old days" will be all over social media and tort lawyer's web pages. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/15/2021 at 9:36 AM, BlueRiband said:

Gook luck.  One, Cunard claims that they will enforce social distancing.  Hard to do with 6ft or 2m of distance.

 

Two, Cunard has not as yet had "anytime" dining at dinner except for Britinnia Club and Grills passengers. These people are assigned a table for the entire voyage.

 

Three,  a group of solos who show up at breakfast or lunch in the main dining room will be questioned by the Maitre D'.  

 

You are most likely correct.  I made assumptions that were not accurate about how Cunard handles dinner seatings.  After researching something else, I noticed that there is no anytime dining on Cunard, only set seatings in Britianna class which is the class I would likely be traveling in.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...