Will P&O now delay announcements for future cruise pauses?

sidekick180

55 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

They originally talked about Herd Immunity.

36000 new cases today.

I read a US report that said people who had already had covid19 could have immunity from months to years.

I wonder if those who have had covid19 will be offered the vaccine because if not others will get the vaccine a lot quicker.

I remember reading but can't remember where that the vaccine will be offered even if you have already had COVID, it being complicated enough organising  things as it is.

5 minutes ago, davecttr said:

I remember reading but can't remember where that the vaccine will be offered even if you have already had COVID, it being complicated enough organising  things as it is.

I read that too, again not sure where. I think you are right about things being complicated enough. 

9 hours ago, davecttr said:

When my niece went for her chemo last week she asked this question because she is in the clinically vulnerable group that when she gets the call to go for her Covid vaccination she should tell them that she has had covid, her appointment will then be given to someone else.

• Like 2

As per P&Os new guidelines, will we as passengers have to source and pay for our own COVID tests or will P&O be wanting to use one company and conduct which tests and how they are conducted themselves so they can be sure if consistency . We went private for our tests to go to Cyprus as we didn’t feel it right taking away from NHS resources for us to go on holiday. It was incredibly simple, test at home 3 days before and then I delivered it in person in London as I work on the railway so that’s easy for us. Other people had lots of stress trying to deliver or post it back in time we heard and other people that used the NHS got results very last minute, and some

not at all! 

4 minutes ago, joeecco said:

As per P&Os new guidelines, will we as passengers have to source and pay for our own COVID tests or will P&O be wanting to use one company and conduct which tests and how they are conducted themselves so they can be sure if consistency . We went private for our tests to go to Cyprus as we didn’t feel it right taking away from NHS resources for us to go on holiday. It was incredibly simple, test at home 3 days before and then I delivered it in person in London as I work on the railway so that’s easy for us. Other people had lots of stress trying to deliver or post it back in time we heard and other people that used the NHS got results very last minute, and some

not at all! 

I don’t think P&O have given any indication of what the process might involve if they have to introduce testing as a requirement for cruising. As a resumption of cruising is still some way off, a lot of things could change. A premature announcement would be counter productive and unnecessary.

• Like 5

I have an Iona cruise due in May with a final payment date in mid February, I suppose P&O will cancel the cruise after that date. I will not be going anyway as the vaccination programme won't have delivered enough herd immunity by summer.

I have another cruise booked for September and there is a high chance that I won't be going on that one either 😟

3 hours ago, pete14 said:

I don’t think P&O have given any indication of what the process might involve if they have to introduce testing as a requirement for cruising. As a resumption of cruising is still some way off, a lot of things could change. A premature announcement would be counter productive and unnecessary.

One of our friends was given a box of lateral flow by her employer (hospital), so that she can test herself twice a week until she gets the jab.

Rightly or wrongly, we availed ourselves of the opportunity and took the lateral flow test as well.  Very simple to do, and then just wait half an hour.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that it would be easy for 3,000+ pax to be provided a lat flow test at embarkation, but those with logistical expertise could have a look at the feasibility, they may have even done so already.

And although there are some issues regarding the accuracy of the lat flow test, its another 6 months till cruising resumes from the UK, hopefully there's room for improvement by then.

6 hours ago, davecttr said:

I have an Iona cruise due in May with a final payment date in mid February, I suppose P&O will cancel the cruise after that date. I will not be going anyway as the vaccination programme won't have delivered enough herd immunity by summer.

I have another cruise booked for September and there is a high chance that I won't be going on that one either 😟

In fairness to P&O with regard to our last cancellation it was cancelled before the final payment date. We have a Malta fly cruise leaving the first week in May and the final payment is due early in February and we’d be very disappointed if the payment was made and then the cruise was subsequently cancelled..!

3 hours ago, Son of Anarchy said:

One of our friends was given a box of lateral flow by her employer (hospital), so that she can test herself twice a week until she gets the jab.

Rightly or wrongly, we availed ourselves of the opportunity and took the lateral flow test as well.  Very simple to do, and then just wait half an hour.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that it would be easy for 3,000+ pax to be provided a lat flow test at embarkation, but those with logistical expertise could have a look at the feasibility, they may have even done so already.

And although there are some issues regarding the accuracy of the lat flow test, its another 6 months till cruising resumes from the UK, hopefully there's room for improvement by then.

Once they got underway, the Truck drivers at Dover seemed to get moving again fairly quickly. I think someone on here said there were millions of them at Manston.

15 minutes ago, devonuk said:

In fairness to P&O with regard to our last cancellation it was cancelled before the final payment date. We have a Malta fly cruise leaving the first week in May and the final payment is due early in February and we’d be very disappointed if the payment was made and then the cruise was subsequently cancelled..!

This is what has happened to some people us included, we had paid our balance not long before the cruise was cancelled.

2 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

This is what has happened to some people us included, we had paid our balance not long before the cruise was cancelled.

Same here.  That said, the enhanced FCC has been put towards a 2022 booking at launch, though I do still think that PandO knew our cruise wasn't going before final payment date.

4 minutes ago, Son of Anarchy said:

Same here.  That said, the enhanced FCC has been put towards a 2022 booking at launch, though I do still think that PandO knew our cruise wasn't going before final payment date.

You could be right, I don't know when and by who the decision is made, but it cannot be easy. We all have different ideas as to what they should or shouldn't do. You would expect that they are working on the next update on an ongoing basis.

7 hours ago, joeecco said:

not at all! 

I think the COVID testing situation is developing or already has developed into a happy hunting ground for the fly-by-night merchants. I have read several reports of people being let down by companies claiming to do a fast turnaround on tests (principally for meeting the requirements of entry into Cyprus). It appears that some have not received their results in time to upload them to the online entry system and have had to cancel or re-schedule their flights as a consequence. I'm not sure, but to my mind there is no regulatory framework to check the integrity of these testing companies that spring up overnight and I'm afraid that Joe Public ends up paying the price to flag up the purveyors of "snake oil"

I have travelled to Cyprus with Mercury Holidays in the past and they appear to have set up some association with a testing company for their holiday passengers. Have no idea how efficient or reputable that testing lab is but I would have hoped that Mercury would have done some form of assessment before promoting their services.

I’m hoping for an updated pause communication sooner rather than later. Our April Iona cruise is due for final payment in January and would prefer the cancellation now (cruise already moved from September this year).

I notice that on the website that the updates have disappeared from the front page, does anyone know if it’s been moved or removed? 

thanks

Andrea

4 hours ago, frogsgirl said:

I’m hoping for an updated pause communication sooner rather than later. Our April Iona cruise is due for final payment in January and would prefer the cancellation now (cruise already moved from September this year).

I notice that on the website that the updates have disappeared from the front page, does anyone know if it’s been moved or removed? 

thanks

Andrea

More marketing... negative updates hidden.... good news on the way.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, molecrochip said:

Intriguing that you feel that good news is on the way. With the virus currently spiralling out of control, the NHS creaking and, if we are to believe the figures quoted yesterday, the fact that only 530k vaccines are coming next week with just 2-3m more due in Feb, it is going to take many many months to even get the over 65’s vaccinated (25m people inc NHS / Care staff), let alone all the over 50’s. I’m sure that the cruise lines are desperate to get going as soon as possible, but set against that backdrop it would be a very brave move!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, molecrochip said:

On the edge my seat waiting to hear this in the New Year. Keeping everything crossed that they haven’t abandoned Azura in the Med. have you heard anymore Moley? 

• Like 2

Given the shortage of vaccines worldwide,  I still can't see how P&O,  or any other cruise line, can queue jump and get their crew vaccinated before more worthy cases.

I would feel very uncomfortable going on a cruise knowing that the staff had been vaccinated whilst people in their home countries were still dying from CV19 due to lack of vaccines.

Edited by wowzz
  • Like 4

32 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Intriguing that you feel that good news is on the way. With the virus currently spiralling out of control, the NHS creaking and, if we are to believe the figures quoted yesterday, the fact that only 530k vaccines are coming next week with just 2-3m more due in Feb, it is going to take many many months to even get the over 65’s vaccinated (25m people inc NHS / Care staff), let alone all the over 50’s. I’m sure that the cruise lines are desperate to get going as soon as possible, but set against that backdrop it would be a very brave move!

The 530k isn't the full amount for January. Its just the initial batch. It wasn't explained very well by MPs (no surprise there!) but has been clarified via several sources since. There'll be regular deliveries of vaccines throughout January. 

• Like 2

Just now, cruisenewbie1976 said:

The 530k isn't the full amount for January. Its just the initial batch. It wasn't explained very well by MPs (no surprise there!) but has been clarified via several sources since. There'll be regular deliveries of vaccines throughout January. 

Thanks. I hope that’s right. I was going by what Matt Hancock said when he announced it and he repeated it several times in response to questions. He said 530k due next week with the next batch due early Feb (which he seemed unsure was 2 or 3m). I was horrified when I heard that, as it is a drop in the ocean compared to the numbers we need. I know that we have bought enough to vaccinate 50m people, which will obviously be enough to vaccinate everyone over 50, but I am becoming suspicious about how vague they are being about when they will all be delivered. Perhaps they don’t know? Anyway, time will tell as we get updates on the numbers vaccinated, but the fact remains that they need to be vaccinating 2m a week, every week, to just get the over 65’s done by Easter. Meanwhile, everyone over 50 remains vulnerable as this wretched virus continues to spiral out of control. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, molecrochip said:

So P&O are still going ahead with the good news even though most of us, and more importantly, Southampton, is in T4? I can't see us getting out of this for a month or 2.. Can you give us an idea of which month the good news will start from 😉

27 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Thanks. I hope that’s right. I was going by what Matt Hancock said when he announced it and he repeated it several times in response to questions. He said 530k due next week with the next batch due early Feb (which he seemed unsure was 2 or 3m). I was horrified when I heard that, as it is a drop in the ocean compared to the numbers we need. I know that we have bought enough to vaccinate 50m people, which will obviously be enough to vaccinate everyone over 50, but I am becoming suspicious about how vague they are being about when they will all be delivered. Perhaps they don’t know? Anyway, time will tell as we get updates on the numbers vaccinated, but the fact remains that they need to be vaccinating 2m a week, every week, to just get the over 65’s done by Easter. Meanwhile, everyone over 50 remains vulnerable as this wretched virus continues to spiral out of control. 

You missed the bit where Boris said there would be "tens of millions" of doses available in the spring! 

Just for once, I wish he would stop the hyperbole and give us some facts.

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

I’ve heard nothing in the last few days that has changed my view that I’ll get the vaccine this summer at the earliest, and that’s if the roll out goes well 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Cathygh said:

So P&O are still going ahead with the good news even though most of us, and more importantly, Southampton, is in T4? I can't see us getting out of this for a month or 2.. Can you give us an idea of which month the good news will start from 😉

Believing late April for first proper cruise with phased introduction of ships over following months. Might see tester cruise early April.

They are working to timetable set out by Government!!!!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Cathygh said:

I'm sure he's said previously that there was a rough plan to do test cruises in March but only around the UK. And then more of a restart in April/May. Or that might have been the Carnival CEO last week. Someone has definitely said that 🤣