Will P&O now delay announcements for future cruise pauses?

sidekick180

1 hour ago, Windsurfboy said:

If you are tested before you travel , tested again a few days after you get there. If you have to test negative to fly back to UK and spend 10 days and 2 tests in quarantine at home. Then it will not spread virus. 

Of course if you say people  are not to be trusted not to break quarantine then that is another issue. We need to solve using technology,  not a minute chance of a Bobby calling round. The solution talked about is  an app that randomly asks you to send a selfie many times a day, facial recognition software checks it's you and looks at GPS data of where you are. 

The problem with this type of solution is that it assumes that everyone has a "smartphone". Many people, especially the elderly do not, having only a basic mobile phone or none at all.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Denarius said:

The problem with this type of solution is that it assumes that everyone has a "smartphone". Many people, especially the elderly do not, having only a basic mobile phone or none at all.

Unfortunately too many in this country are wrapped up in the smartphone and "app" revolution and dont pause to think that many dont have smartphones apps or even a computer of any kind.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, joeecco said:

Open everything up, and get on with life.

if you want to continue staying home, then stay home. 

But it’s not that simple is it? Am I right in thinking that you’re younger than most in here? I might have thought that 25 years ago, but I’m trying hard to think what’s best for my parents and also my children who are all in their 20s. It’s a dilemma for sure. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, majortom10 said:

Unfortunately too many in this country are wrapped up in the smartphone and "app" revolution and dont pause to think that many dont have smartphones apps or even a computer of any kind.

Quite, my FIL was sold a smartphone when his old mobile packed up after 10 years, he got so confused he took it back after 3 days and swapped for a non smartphone which he is ok with.

Some countries have used tags to monitor people are remaking in quarantine, others have geotagged properties so authorities know where they are and can check upon them. The question is do we want to go down that road of monitoring of people to that level.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I've never been sure  - does 'getting on with life' also mean that social distancing and mask wearing is no longer needed?

Incidentally, nobody wants to stay at home, but many people realise that, to avoid a repeat of the last hellish three months, we have to be very careful indeed about how society is reopened. 

I totally agree.

Mask wearing and social distancing is the adult way forward until everyone has their 2 vaccine jabs and probably for the rest of this year in shops and hospitality venues which should be reopened when schools go back in March which will have been 10 weeks in lockdown.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, majortom10 said:

I only have a PAYG phone but having bought it in the last 2 years it has all the smart features, and I do have the NHS tracker app loaded and working as well.  I suspect that older non smart phones are now only a very small percentage of mobile users, and probably owned by older folk who are likely to be obeying the rules anyway, so probably not a major T&T issue.

9 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

I only have a PAYG phone but having bought it in the last 2 years it has all the smart features, and I do have the NHS tracker app loaded and working as well.  I suspect that older non smart phones are now only a very small percentage of mobile users, and probably owned by older folk who are likely to be obeying the rules anyway, so probably not a major T&T issue.

You can still get non smartphones, my FIL has a Nokia. I know a couple of people with sight issues both have non smartphones. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

You can still get non smartphones, my FIL has a Nokia. I know a couple of people with sight issues both have non smartphones. 

I have a smartphone and a non smartphone. The non one is a simple Doro PAYG with large buttons which makes and receives calls/texts. Those buttons suit my somewhat ancient fingers better than the touch screen on my smartphone which now does not have a SIM or contract but still allows web browsing etc via WiFi. It runs the NHS app not that I have used that for months. It also uses the onboard ship WiFi network for reading the daily newsletter, booking excursions, meals etc and checking my onboard account. I believe you can still make an emergency call on it if needed.

Edited by davecttr
  • Like 1

We got a non smart phone for the MIL with big numbers, they are getting more difficult to find, why can't they make a basic mobile that just makes phone calls. We have just put her a land line in and reverted to a basic big number phone with 3 speed dial buttons which we have had to colour so she gets the right one. 

Latest announcement on Carnival site.

Thu 18 Feb 2021 07:00

Carnival PLC - P&O Cruises Australia Extends Cruising Pause

PR Newswire

London, February 18

P&O Cruises Australia Extends Cruising Pause and Thanks Guests For Their Unwavering Loyalty to the Home Grown Cruise Line

MIAMI, Feb. 17, 2021 -- P&O Cruises Australia is maintaining its optimism for the ultimate restart of cruising while, in the meantime, again taking a practical approach in extending its current operational pause to departures on or before 18 June, 2021.

Guests with bookings affected by the pause extension are being given as much notice as possible to provide them with greater certainty around their holiday plans.

"While we are becoming increasingly confident in the restart of cruising in Australia, we are continuing with the realistic and pragmatic approach we have adopted previously," P&O Cruises Australia President Sture Myrmell said.

"We know from our contact with guests and through our social media channels that they, like us, can't wait to be cruising again and our crew can't wait to again be delivering exceptional cruise holiday experiences.

"We once again thank our guests for their patience and understanding and for their unwavering loyalty to Australia's homegrown cruise line."

P&O will make contact with guests whose cruises have been affected, either directly or via their appointed travel agent, to let them know of the pause extension and the options available to them.

CONTACT: Lyndsey Gordon, P&O Cruises, M: 0468 521 799, E: lyndsey.gordon@pocruises.com.au

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just had an email from out TA about our May cruise. It said that currently this is still going and did we want any help with anything. We won’t be going anyway but are waiting until P & O cancel it so as not to lose the deposit. I think the point of this email was to encourage us transfer to a later cruise.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jennizor said:

Just had an email from out TA about our May cruise. It said that currently this is still going and did we want any help with anything. We won’t be going anyway but are waiting until P & O cancel it so as not to lose the deposit. I think the point of this email was to encourage us transfer to a later cruise.

I guess they are seeing next year's cruises getting booked up fast. 

Will be interesting to see what happens with the crew on start up. Its great the vaccine going well in the uk but what about the crew. I would imagine they would need doing as well and who or how is that going to be done. We talk about vaccine passports but have to remember the crew come from all over the world and those countries are not as far forward with the vaccine as we are. Would be nice to hear something from cruise companies on this

21 minutes ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

Will be interesting to see what happens with the crew on start up. Its great the vaccine going well in the uk but what about the crew. I would imagine they would need doing as well and who or how is that going to be done. We talk about vaccine passports but have to remember the crew come from all over the world and those countries are not as far forward with the vaccine as we are. Would be nice to hear something from cruise companies on this

Very true but, to be fair to the cruise lines, they are no clearer than us with regards to these issues. As you rightly say, we are well ahead of the vast majority of countries with our vaccinations, but for cruising to recommence we need the countries that we intend to visit, as well as the home countries of the crew, to get to the stage where all those at risk are vaccinated. Given that it’s going to take until the end of July for the UK to get to that position (and we are ahead of the game) it’s likely to be the Autumn before others are in that situation, which is why I fear that overseas cruises could be off the radar until then. 

Edited by Selbourne
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Very true but, to be fair to the cruise lines, they are no clearer than us with regards to these issues. As you rightly say, we are well ahead of the vast majority of countries with our vaccinations, but for cruising to recommence we need the countries that we intend to visit, as well as the home countries of the crew, to get to the stage where all those at risk are vaccinated. Given that it’s going to take until the end of July for the UK to get to that position (and we are ahead of the game) it’s likely to be the Autumn before others are in that situation, which is why I fear that overseas cruises could be off the radar until then. 

I wonder if cruise line crew will be considered for vaccination in the UK once we have vaccinated most adults. It seems a sensible option for cruise ship crew sailing from the UK, since they will be interacting mainly with UK residents, and without vaccination they will be a major source of potential reinfection.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I wonder if cruise line crew will be considered for vaccination in the UK once we have vaccinated most adults. It seems a sensible option for cruise ship crew sailing from the UK, since they will be interacting mainly with UK residents, and without vaccination they will be a major source of potential reinfection.

I can't see why not, at some stage when the new manufacturers get their vaccines approved we will have more than enough, and with a limited shelf life it would be sensible to vaccinate people that are interacting in the UK than sending the spare vaccine abroad.

3 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Perfectly reasonable observation. However I can see there being a major outcry if it becomes known that overseas crew members on cruise ships are being vaccinated ahead of any members of the UK population. For that reason I believe that  overseas crew members are unlikely to qualify for a UK vaccination any time soon.

UK resident crew may get jabs in line with the roll-out groupings of course but that would not help mustering a full complement to operate the ship.

• Like 1

I have seen a report that the home countries of the crew, India and The Philipines being mentioned by name, are prepared to sell some vaccine to cruise companies.  Hence the crew can be vaccinated before travelling to the UK.  Sensible for them as they can then go abroad and gain income to return to their home country.  Molecrochip had also mentioned that was a possibility some time back now.

That report (possibly by CC, but not sure) is a much more sensible approach and means crew will not so likely to be bringing and spreading the disease when they first arrive here.  For them to be done in the UK, our Government would need to have reached a stage when they would sell some vaccine, which will not be happening for a long time.

Edited by tring
  • Like 2

I am sure that the supplies of all the different vaccines will soon become available to buy. So maybe business will start to purchase for their staff. 

Would be nice to hear some ideas from.the cruise companies. 

Can they survice another year without sailing and all these cancelled cruises FCCs are adding up making the prices skyrocket for 22 and 23......

20 minutes ago, tring said:

I have seen a report that the home countries of the crew, India and The Philipines being mentioned by name, are prepared to sell some vaccine to cruise companies.  Hence the crew can be vaccinated before travelling to the UK.  Sensible for them as they can then go abroad and gain income to return to their home country.  Molecrochip had also mentioned that was a possibility some time back now.

That report (possibly by CC, but not sure) is a much more sensible approach and means crew will not so likely to be bringing and spreading the disease when they first arrive here.  For them to be done in the UK, our Government would need to have reached a stage when they would sell some vaccine, which will not be happening for a long time.

An issue for re-starting cruising is not so much the staff and passengers being vaccinated but the destinations,how long before the're ready?Will we start with scenic cruising only?Perhaps that would be a compromise worth trying to start the season off......Norway would be good.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

Can they survice another year without sailing and all these cancelled cruises FCCs are adding up making the prices skyrocket for 22 and 23......

I think that cruise prices are distorted (over inflated) at present due to two factors. Firstly, as you say,  the abundance of FCC which people are assigning to future cruises, almost regardless of price or likelihood of sailing, and secondly the fact that cruise lines are restricting capacity, assuming that social distancing measures will be required for the foreseeable future.

I would like to think that social distancing measures may no longer be needed from 2022 onwards and therefore cruise lines will suddenly be able to open up the remaining capacity. If cruises are currently being sold at two-thirds capacity then, when that happens, there is an immediate increase in capacity of 50%. At that point, supply and demand kicks in and prices will fall.

Cruise lines have been relying on the ‘new to cruising’ market, which was booming prior to the pandemic but IMO will be a lot slower to recover than the ‘established cruiser’ market. I think that some cruise lines, including P&O, may have an over capacity issue for the next few years and they will want to get bums on seats, as it were. 

Edited by Selbourne
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

. I think that some cruise lines, including P&O, may have an over capacity issue for the next few years and they will want to get bums on seats, as it were. 

Especially as they will have an extra 10000 berths to fill per week, with the advent of Iona and Harvey.

Edited by wowzz