Jump to content

Will P&O now delay announcements for future cruise pauses?


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, jeanlyon said:

Maybe they changed it - it's some years since we sailed on her - maybe about 9?!!

 

I think Norway and places like that it is probably better to do excursions, not that I have done one of those cruises, but I know it's really expensive there.  But most places in the Med are lovely to do on your own.  I remember getting the train to Taormina for 8 Euros.  We had a marvellous day, super lunch and then back a good 2 hours before the ship excursions.

Azura has always been like that it hasnt changed it was like that on the Maiden.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Selbourne said:


That’s a very good point. We are in our 50’s yet feel that the majority of the ‘entertainment’ on P&O is targeted at our parents generation 😂 In fact, with the exception of the occasional guest speaker on a subject that appeals, the daytime activities are what I would expect to find in a nursing home (and the evening ones are only marginally better)!

I know what you mean, but I don’t really want to be ‘entertained’ during the day so it doesn’t bother me what’s on offer. The one different thing that we really enjoyed on both RCI cruises was the ice show which was brilliant. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ardennais said:

I know what you mean, but I don’t really want to be ‘entertained’ during the day so it doesn’t bother me what’s on offer. The one different thing that we really enjoyed on both RCI cruises was the ice show which was brilliant. 

The ice shows are spectacular on RCI. We have found that the entertainment on the longer cruises has been marginally better on P&O than the 14 nighters. A better range of speakers too IMO, but that seems logical when you are crossing the ocean twice with so many sea days. Horses for courses.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Azura has always been like that it hasnt changed it was like that on the Maiden.

 

I think it's just a case of mixing ships up with others, as Jean said she liked to use the 

Crows Nest Bar on the Azura ,which it does not have, or the Ventura as well .

Now a ship we have not used, the Britannia  does have a Crows Nest Bar and does not 

have a Promenade deck which means it has no windows either on that deck but cannot 

comment further as we have not used that ship. We can all mix things up ,the times I have

said "Shall we nip up to the Red Bar" when I really meant the Blue Bar and other way around 

dependant of which ship we were on regarding Ventura and the Azura . The nice thing about 

those two ships is the layouts the same, just different names. We found our way around them 

the very first time onboard  but that was due to we had been on the Crown Princess which 

also has almost the same layout . 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, kalos said:

 

I think it's just a case of mixing ships up with others, as Jean said she liked to use the 

Crows Nest Bar on the Azura ,which it does not have, or the Ventura as well .

Now a ship we have not used, the Britannia  does have a Crows Nest Bar and does not 

have a Promenade deck which means it has no windows either on that deck but cannot 

comment further as we have not used that ship. We can all mix things up ,the times I have

said "Shall we nip up to the Red Bar" when I really meant the Blue Bar and other way around 

dependant of which ship we were on regarding Ventura and the Azura . The nice thing about 

those two ships is the layouts the same, just different names. We found our way around them 

the very first time onboard  but that was due to we had been on the Crown Princess which 

also has almost the same layout . 

 

Kalos, I think I was speaking generically.  Whatever the bar is on Azura at the top of the ship.  On Aurora and Arcadia it's the Crows Nest.   Is it the Planet Bar?

Edited by jeanlyon
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

Oh no, that is so sad. I've watched their YouTube videos for a few years now. They seem like such a lovely couple. I knew Sean was ill, but didn't realise it was terminal 😓

I follow them on Instagram and it seems like they are hoping he’ll beat the odds but are concentrating on improving his quality of life at the moment. He looks awful poor man. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing we really enjoy on Aurora, don't know if they do it on other ships, is the passenger choir.  Usually a lunchtime rehearsal, last time there were nearly 90 of us.  Sang some really good stuff, run by the pianist from the band and a Headliner.  Really good fun and we did a good performance at the end of the cruise.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Kalos, I think I was speaking generically.  Whatever the bar is on Azura at the top of the ship.  On Aurora and Arcadia it's the Crows Nest.   Is it the Planet Bar?

 

Yes Jean it is the Planet Bar (Azura) and Metropolis (Ventura) both deck 18 Aft .

and I wish I had a pound for the times I've heard those two mixed up as well.:classic_unsure:

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, joeecco said:

Hahaha love that last line. Least you’ve got the best of both worlds when you choose which line. We will try RCI at some point just to see if we are right or wrong, but we’ll be nervous in doing so haha! I love the ‘what shall we do now’ vibe on P&O, whereas the ‘what have we got booked now’ RCI vibe is a little off for us (I know you Don’t have to do everything but we would get FOMO if we didn’t and I’m happy to admit that 😂)

I think it’s good to try other lines. I tried P&O for the first time in 2017 despite cruising since 2007!  As we had always been used to American cruise lines (Princess, Royal, Celebrity), there were a lot of things we didn’t like on P&O but a lot of things we did like! 
 

The newer Royal Ships have nice, modern decor, great food and service but also loads of activities. It’s never pushed onto you, but it’s nice to have! Celebrity are also a favourite of mine but for different reasons. Very modern, amazing food and the best service (I’ve ever found) at sea. No ice rinks or rock walls like Royal, just really nice ships with modern and tasteful public areas. 
 

I have 2 P&O cruises booked for this year (if they go ahead), so I still cruise with them! I like to mix things up 😂

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

One thing we really enjoy on Aurora, don't know if they do it on other ships, is the passenger choir.  Usually a lunchtime rehearsal, last time there were nearly 90 of us.  Sang some really good stuff, run by the pianist from the band and a Headliner.  Really good fun and we did a good performance at the end of the cruise.

Passenger choirs are done on all P&O ships and on Princess as well on the ones we have been on.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

One thing we really enjoy on Aurora, don't know if they do it on other ships, is the passenger choir.  Usually a lunchtime rehearsal, last time there were nearly 90 of us.  Sang some really good stuff, run by the pianist from the band and a Headliner.  Really good fun and we did a good performance at the end of the cruise.

They have the passenger choir on most ships, I can't sing but the OH was in the head chorister at church and really enjoys taking part on board.

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Kalos, I think I was speaking generically.  Whatever the bar is on Azura at the top of the ship.  On Aurora and Arcadia it's the Crows Nest.   Is it the Planet Bar?


On Azura and Ventura, the Crows Nest is called ‘The Gym’, which is one of the major reasons that these two ships are amongst our least favourite of the P&O fleet 😂 Thankfully they addressed this with Britannia, but then forgot the promenade deck 🙄

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Selbourne said:


On Azura and Ventura, the Crows Nest is called ‘The Gym’, which is one of the major reasons that these two ships are amongst our least favourite of the P&O fleet 😂 Thankfully they addressed this with Britannia, but then forgot the promenade deck 🙄

I imagine that the Princess royal class also have no promenade deck, they have further Royal class new builds on the stocks, and then in 2023 they have a new 175,000 tonne 4600 passenger new class which will be "part" LNG powered.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Glitterati said:

So, no news on foreign travel yet. Possibly after June 21st. I expect P&O to announce the final delay tomorrow until mid June 

International travel from 17th May subject to review. 

 

image.png.d80b32b36a3b04839c3056adf76e84de.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Glitterati said:

So, no news on foreign travel yet. Possibly after June 21st. I expect P&O to announce the final delay tomorrow until mid June 

I'm due to be on Iona's 19th June sailing 😏

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, yorkshirephil said:

International travel from 17th May subject to review. 

 

image.png.d80b32b36a3b04839c3056adf76e84de.png

Ah yeah, I missed that bit! I imagine that’s when they will start short cruises to “test the waters”. Maybe an announcement from P&O tomorrow to book these? Or at least information about them? Hopeful thinking 😇

Link to post
Share on other sites

“Review on international travel to complete by April 12th. PM nods to the idea of summer holidays, in that the review will be complete with a view to allow people to "plan for the summer."

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Glitterati said:

So, no news on foreign travel yet. Possibly after June 21st. I expect P&O to announce the final delay tomorrow until mid June 


I think it’s optimistic to think it will be the final delay. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

If International Travel is to start around June 21st, I would very much doubt whether cruising will start until at least July/August   Round Britain possibly, but not elsewhere.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with Barbara Muckermann, CMO Silversea Cruises
      • ICYM Our Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Explore the Remote World with Hurtigruten!
      • Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team: New Ship Ultramarine
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...