Will P&O now delay announcements for future cruise pauses?

45 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

Guy in paper shop said it had to be won, maybe he was meaning tomorrow's jackpot

Euro millions must be not won for four draws at max payout before it rolls down. So not tonight’s draw.

Saturdays lottery must be won though or it rolls down.

7 hours ago, Eddie99 said:

Are they hoping to synchronise the pause/cancellation announcements with the new brochure launch?  FCCs from cancelled cruises applied directly to ‘23 cruises and P&O get to keep people’s deposit money?

Yes...and I would imagine that they will hope that not too many passengers will cotton on, pay their full balances now, and then use their 125% FCC against a low season cruise in Feb 23 at launch price on Our Vera.  No doubt that Our Vera will be priced like Iona was to attract interest....

This is a good reason why they should get on with it.  Personally, I won't be paying my balance optionally, but that's just me and wanting to avoid giving them extra cash!

5 minutes ago, No pager thank you said:

Yes...and I would imagine that they will hope that not too many passengers will cotton on, pay their full balances now, and then use their 125% FCC against a low season cruise in Feb 23 at launch price on Our Vera.  No doubt that Our Vera will be priced like Iona was to attract interest....

This is a good reason why they should get on with it.  Personally, I won't be paying my balance optionally, but that's just me and wanting to avoid giving them extra cash!

Up to at least the 21st June, your contract is classed as Frustrated, therefore your deposit must be returned to you by law.

20 minutes ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

Have you got any evidence of this? 

Unless Boris reneges on his pathway out of lockdown, then international holidays are illegal until 21st June, at the earliest.

3 minutes ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

Thought they'd said foreign travel might be possible from 17th May, at the earliest? 

That is correct on my understanding, but dependant  upon a review due to be published on 12 April. So we will not know with any certainty when we will be permitted to travel abroad for holidays until the latter date.

8 minutes ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

Thought they'd said foreign travel might be possible from 17th May, at the earliest? 

Sorry you're right, I was mixing up the Final Exit, when all restrictions could be lifted, meaning no covid restrictions needed on board ship. 

1 hour ago, mercury7289 said:

Up to at least the 21st June, your contract is classed as Frustrated, therefore your deposit must be returned to you by law.

If/as/when my May cruise is cancelled I will be happy to accept the deposit back as a cash refund.

However, my understanding was that P&O allow customers to make earlier payments for cruises than the balance due date, if they so wish.  Some customers in previous waves did make such "extra" payments, knowing that this would translate to an extra FCC.

My understanding was that the total cash balance paid at the point of cancellation is then either refunded 100% in cash, or 125% in FCC, i.e., at the point that the contract is frustrated.

17 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Sorry you're right, I was mixing up the Final Exit, when all restrictions could be lifted, meaning no covid restrictions needed on board ship. 

I might be wrong John, and I can’t be bothered to trawl through the 60 page report again, but I don’t believe that they have committed to the abolition of face masks and all forms of social distancing from 21st June. I think they are reserving judgment until that time. So I fear that there may be restrictions when cruises eventually commence, even if that isn’t until after 21st June. 

36 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

I might be wrong John, and I can’t be bothered to trawl through the 60 page report again, but I don’t believe that they have committed to the abolition of face masks and all forms of social distancing from 21st June. I think they are reserving judgment until that time. So I fear that there may be restrictions when cruises eventually commence, even if that isn’t until after 21st June. 

That was my understanding as well.

For example, I'm not convinced that we will be able to stand around drinking  in a pub  immediately after June 21st. 

1 hour ago, Selbourne said:

Boris did say that all restrictions would be lifted, which did surprise me a little, but you can bet that all the media hacks heard it and will be ready to string him up if he fails to deliver.

9 hours ago, Selbourne said:

I think some expectation management needs to happen in this area, as a lot of people are convinced that from 21st June it’s a complete return to the normality of December 2019. 

Anyway, apart from the most gung ho, how many of us will be ready to be within inches of an unmasked stranger in 4 months time? Perhaps the habits of the last year will persist, particularly in older age groups. 

There is an interesting post in the Princess thread,  that refers to a RCL brokers conference call. I won't post it all ( on the Princess look for the thread entitled  "What are the odds that cruises will start in 2021 or 2022.?") This  particular comment caught my eye
"We have been operating the Quantum OTS from Singapore for close to three months with around 35,000 Singaporeans these ocean cruises. Customer satisfaction is higher with our protocols than it was before our protocols. Our revenue has exceeded expectations, both from a ticket and an onboard revenue perspective. Load factor constraint in the beginning of  Singapore operations was capped at 50% which we may increase to 65% in the coming weeks.

There are two technologies that have come from Quantum that really are game changing. One is the e-mustering, which completely transforms the whole process of lifeboat mustering. It’s all done digitally through your cell phone and an app,

Second is we've developed technology for contact tracing, using a combination of technologies. One of them is a Tracelet, which each guest wears and can tell exactly how long and where they've been in contact with everybody else who's wearing a Tracelet. We have artificial intelligence connected into CCTV cameras that use facial and body recognition to then double check and verify contact tracing in the event that somebody did have COVID onboard to ship, which has not happened."

21 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I think some expectation management needs to happen in this area, as a lot of people are convinced that from 21st June it’s a complete return to the normality of December 2019. 

Anyway, apart from the most gung ho, how many of us will be ready to be within inches of an unmasked stranger in 4 months time? Perhaps the habits of the last year will persist, particularly in older age groups. 

I have a feeling it is going to take quite a long time for many of us to feel comfortable in returning to “normal” whenever and however that may be.

I must admit the thought of being in a crowded area with lots of people fills me with horror but as time goes by and my confidence returns I may feel differently.

Last summer I found it quite draining spending time with much loved friends and family (mostly outside) and being sociable as I’ve got so used to my own company and having the dog agree with everything I say. I remember having face ache from smiling....😃

Time will tell, but I think I will always be more aware of the risks of picking up infections now, but that won’t stop me enjoying life.

28 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I won't for sure. I'm extremely anxious about the gung ho crew who I feel sure will throw caution to the wind. As someone in the older age group I will certainly persist with care, and apprehension. If I'm being completely honest I've felt happier and safer in Lockdown and am loathe to give it up - but I'm naturally nervous anyway - a bit of a wimp actually! J.x

8 minutes ago, Angel57 said:

I have a feeling it is going to take quite a long time for many of us to feel comfortable in returning to “normal” whenever and however that may be.

I must admit the thought of being in a crowded area with lots of people fills me with horror but as time goes by and my confidence returns I may feel differently.

Last summer I found it quite draining spending time with much loved friends and family (mostly outside) and being sociable as I’ve got so used to my own company and having the dog agree with everything I say. I remember having face ache from smiling....😃

Time will tell, but I think I will always be more aware of the risks of picking up infections now, but that won’t stop me enjoying life.

I totally agree with you Gill. Although I've worked throughout all the Lockdowns,  outside of that I've spent most of my time alone with Ted (the dog). I think confidence is the key word in your post and it will take time to regain it. Have a good day. Jane.x

10 hours ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

Have you got any evidence of this? 

GOV.UK web page under the CMA Authority. Statement on corona virus [Covid-19] consumer contracts, cancellations and refunds.Updated 20th August 2020.

I must admit that the scale of the full easing of restrictions has me concerned about the consequences.

For example nightclubs reopening frequented predominately by younger adults who will not have had their first jabs by then, the virus cases will mushroom in those kinds of environments. Yes the most vulnerable are vaccine protected, in the main, and the younger adults are less likely to be ill with covid but to have the virus widely circulating and being passed on is not a good situation with regard to virus mutation or being spread to those not fully protected.

I agree that most of the restrictions can be removed with caution but feel that some mass indoor activities shouldn't take place until all adults have been offered the first jab and for it to become effective, which on current plans is more like the mid/end August, 2 months after the planned 21st June full lifting of restrictions.

9 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Boris did say that all restrictions would be lifted, which did surprise me a little, but you can bet that all the media hacks heard it and will be ready to string him up if he fails to deliver.

Sorry but Boris did not say all of the restrictions would be lifted he used the word MOST. All of the media have reported all. Whether or not he said one word in the Commons I don't know, I didn't watch that, but in his briefing in the evening it was definitely most.

Sorry to go against the grain of thought here, but as soon as I can get on a flight to Madrid to see my DD I'm off. I felt far safer in Madrid last August than here in the UK too.

9 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

I guess he wouldn’t consider things like face masks and social distancing to be ‘restrictions’, but more precautionary measures. On that basis, the ongoing deployment of them beyond 21st June may still be required in certain settings. Cruise ships may or may not be amongst them. 

Edited by Selbourne
8 minutes ago, Rupert2251 said:

Sorry but Boris did not say all of the restrictions would be lifted he used the word MOST. All of the media have reported all. Whether or not he said one word in the Commons I don't know, I didn't watch that, but in his briefing in the evening it was definitely most.

The official Gov doc uses the word all but also uses hope alot!!

Step 4, no earlier than 21 June:

It is hoped all legal limits on social contact can be removed.

We hope to reopen nightclubs, and lift restrictions on large events and performances that apply in Step 3.

This will also guide decisions on whether all limits can be removed on weddings and other life events.