Jump to content

Will P&O now delay announcements for future cruise pauses?


Recommended Posts

34 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

My dad has just called P&O and was told our 19th June cruise isn't showing up because its full, hmm along with every other cruise before 24th June? So the person on the phone has either told him what she's been told to say or they have stopped taking bookings until they have more details and protocols sorted etc?  

Perhaps cruises before 24th June are now full because they have reduced the ‘full’ number to the current level of bookings to assist social distancing. It is likely that the first cruises to restart will have a reduced capacity, this may be their way of doing it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, MX-Drew said:

 

Another point of view is the "book it knowing it will be cancelled" there by getting 125% FCC.

 

The above is not my beliefs just an alternative view. 

I think the days of 125% FCC may have gone! In the latest cancellations, Princess announced yesterday they are only offering 110% FCC.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Esprit said:

I think the days of 125% FCC may have gone! In the latest cancellations, Princess announced yesterday they are only offering 110% FCC.

Fred Olsen's most recent tranche of cancellations (to end June) attracted a 110% FCC with an additional 5% if your monies had been held by them for 24 months before departure. Previously it had been 25%.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Esprit said:

I think the days of 125% FCC may have gone! In the latest cancellations, Princess announced yesterday they are only offering 110% FCC.

 

19 minutes ago, Britboys said:

Fred Olsen's most recent tranche of cancellations (to end June) attracted a 110% FCC with an additional 5% if your monies had been held by them for 24 months before departure. Previously it had been 25%.

In both cases it is more than 100% and more than leaving it in the bank.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, MX-Drew said:

 

In both cases it is more than 100% and more than leaving it in the bank.

Although if future cruise prices go up by over the amount of FCC,  you are out of pocket. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Although if future cruise prices go up by over the amount of FCC,  you are out of pocket. 

You would be more out of pocket paying for the same cruise with your own money

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Although if future cruise prices go up by over the amount of FCC,  you are out of pocket. 

 

1 minute ago, yorkshirephil said:

You would be more out of pocket paying for the same cruise with your own money

That is how I would look at it. Even if the cruise went up by 30% you have 25, 10 or 5% (or whatever amount)  towards that increase.

The problem comes if you never intend to cruise again.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MX-Drew said:

 

That is how I would look at it. Even if the cruise went up by 30% you have 25, 10 or 5% (or whatever amount)  towards that increase.

The problem comes if you never intend to cruise again.

That was my point, but badly put! 

If the cruise line has held your money for a period of time, unless you want to cruise again with that specific line, and pay the newly inflated prices, you will just get your money back with no interest at all.

  

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, wowzz said:

That was my point, but badly put! 

If the cruise line has held your money for a period of time, unless you want to cruise again with that specific line, and pay the newly inflated prices, you will just get your money back with no interest at all.

  

No one ever said investment was without risk. 🤣

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MX-Drew said:

No one ever said investment was without risk. 🤣

I'm not sure paying for a cruise way ahead of time is really an investment! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, wowzz said:

I'm not sure paying for a cruise way ahead of time is really an investment! 

Paying for anything is an investment of sorts. The question is, is it a wise investment and will you get a return on your capital. 😉

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, MX-Drew said:

Paying for anything is an investment of sorts. The question is, is it a wise investment and will you get a return on your capital. 😉

I just hope that Aurora is still around next August to make sure my 'investment' pays off.

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, wowzz said:

That was my point, but badly put! 

If the cruise line has held your money for a period of time, unless you want to cruise again with that specific line, and pay the newly inflated prices, you will just get your money back with no interest at all.

  

If you get 125% FCC you would still be 25% better off than someone who paid for the same future cruise with their own money. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, MX-Drew said:

Paying for anything is an investment of sorts. The question is, is it a wise investment and will you get a return on your capital. 😉

They don't return to the capital I am afraid would be a lot easier for me, we have to get back from Southampton

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

If you get 125% FCC you would still be 25% better off than someone who paid for the same future cruise with their own money. 

That's true, but you are tied not only to a future cruise,  but also to that specific  cruise line.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, wowzz said:

That's true, but you are tied not only to a future cruise,  but also to that specific  cruise line.

Yes but that is not an issue for us as we will cruise with P&O again. As we haven't used our FCC we can still take the refund if we needed it but obviously at the original 100%. So I still see it as better than money in the bank.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, wowzz said:

That was my point, but badly put! 

If the cruise line has held your money for a period of time, unless you want to cruise again with that specific line, and pay the newly inflated prices, you will just get your money back with no interest at all.

  

Is anyone getting a worthwhile interest rate for short term savings?

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Is anyone getting a worthwhile interest rate for short term savings?

Yorkshire building society have a new saver account 3.5%, save up to £500/month for 12 months. For existing customers.

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Is anyone getting a worthwhile interest rate for short term savings?


I pop £2880 into one of my wife’s pension funds once a year, which gives an immediate 20% return (£576), and we draw it out over following few months, keeping below the Personal Allowance so that its tax free. A tip from my Financial Advisor (or Wealth Manager as they are now ostentatiously called). 
 

Edit - if you are wondering why £2880, that’s the most you can invest and get tax relief when you are no longer contributing as part of an employer pension scheme and drawing out funds. 

Edited by Selbourne
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Selbourne said:


I pop £2880 into one of my wife’s pension funds once a year, which gives an immediate 20% return (£576), and we draw it out over following few months, keeping below the Personal Allowance so that its tax free. A tip from my Financial Advisor (or Wealth Manager as they are now ostentatiously called). 
 

Edit - if you are wondering why £2880, that’s the most you can invest and get tax relief when you are no longer contributing as part of an employer pension scheme. 

I do the lottery!😄

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

Yorkshire building society have a new saver account 3.5%, save up to £500/month for 12 months. For existing customers.

HSBC has one at 5%, but as it's a regular saver scheme the interest is only on the current balance. However I thought the monthly max saving was £250 loom.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

HSBC has one at 5%, but as it's a regular saver scheme the interest is only on the current balance. However I thought the monthly max saving was £250 loom.

image.thumb.png.fe85980c4e540b1a1c3287930c6eece3.png

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with Barbara Muckermann, CMO Silversea Cruises
      • ICYM Our Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Explore the Remote World with Hurtigruten!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...