Jump to content

Will P&O now delay announcements for future cruise pauses?


Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, wowzz said:

But then you became a record plugger! What a great career change!

Travel agent,bank. then a sales career, records, pharmacy sundries,OTC medicines and 35 years confectionery.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Travel agent,bank. then a sales career, records, pharmacy sundries,OTC medicines and 35 years confectionery.

I'll raise you soap powder/washing up liquid ( company based in Newcastle), mayonnaise/custard,  fish fingers/sausage rolls, disposable nappies, quiche, fromage frais/yogurt, cheese. Not a bad selection. 

I still drive my wife mad ( or did in the old days) standing in front of supermarket shelves staring at the shelf allocations. In the same way, when I came back from a meeting  at Tesco, or Sainsbury or wherever,  she knew by my demeanour if I had got a listing or not! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, wowzz said:

I just stick spare cash in Premium Bonds,  and hope for the best. So far, I'm doing alright, 


I haven’t done too badly out of Premium Bonds either Wowzz, but they’ve slashed the prize fund value considerably in the last few months. Martyn Lewis has a view that they are only worth investing in if you can put away the full amount allowed (£50k).

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, wowzz said:

The issue of course is that you only get the full 3.5% annual interest on the first £500. 

I just stick spare cash in Premium Bonds,  and hope for the best. So far, I'm doing alright, 

I have now got both 🙂 

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, davecttr said:

I have a cruise that departs on 15th May so I am awaiting my email soonest

 

As reported this morning the EU summit yesterday pretty much agreed on the need for a vaccine passport and it appears it will be electronic and take at least 3 months to develop. Primarily for travel within the EU but could also be used for travellers from elsewhere. I suggest HMG get on board soonest, if they can


I also have a cruise leaving May 15th and I’m feeling pretty irritated right now that P&O don’t even have the decency to cancel cruises they know we can’t go on! 😡 After this, I will be requesting a refund rather than a FCC.

Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, ann141 said:

I have now got both 🙂 

Same here, I don't think filling in a form is a big deal if it gains you an extra £50 a year above what you would get in a standard account. Look after the pennies and the pounds will look after themselves me mam used to say.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The more I think about this, the more odd P&O’s current stance appears to be. I know that some have suggested that they might be waiting for the current promotion to end (1st March?) before they cancel the next tranche of sailings, but P&O always have promotions on and as one ends another begins. What is to be gained by not, at the very least, cancelling cruises that it would be illegal to operate and therefore are already effectively cancelled by the government (I.e. all those departing before 17th May)? I know that we have been told many times by Molecrochip (who hasn’t posted for ages) that cash flow isn’t a problem, but I’m now beginning to wonder. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, purplesea said:

I have just seen this. Sailings not cancelled but no new bookings.

 

https://travelweekly.co.uk/news/cruise/po-cruises-pauses-new-bookings-on-sailings-before-june-21

What part of "no international travel before 17th May" don't P&O understand? Seeking "clarification to fully understand the impact of the briefing" are just weasel words to put off passengers from thinking about cancelling and requesting refunds in my opinion.

The cruise industry was the first to be affected by this pandemic so will likely be among the last sectors to restart in any significant way.

I despair!!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, hollyjess said:

Have just seen that P.O. Not taking any new bookings for cruises sailing before June 21st. We are due to sail on June 27th. Does the 30 day payment of final balance apply to this cruise.

I believe it does, I seem to remember cruises up to August were on the 30 day system, however P&O are forever meddling with their T&C and Q&A so I would check. Some are also contradictory or misleading so be wary.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, arlowood said:

What part of "no international travel before 17th May" don't P&O understand? Seeking "clarification to fully understand the impact of the briefing" are just weasel words to put off passengers from thinking about cancelling and requesting refunds in my opinion.

The cruise industry was the first to be affected by this pandemic so will likely be among the last sectors to restart in any significant way.

I despair!!!!

I agree and why we have no cruises booked.

I will happily book a last minute cruise if any become available.

Graham.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, arlowood said:

The cruise industry was the first to be affected by this pandemic so will likely be among the last sectors to restart in any significant way.


That’s always been my view, which is why I still think that normal overseas cruises this summer, even beyond 21st June, are still unlikely. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

The more I think about this, the more odd P&O’s current stance appears to be. I know that some have suggested that they might be waiting for the current promotion to end (1st March?) before they cancel the next tranche of sailings, but P&O always have promotions on and as one ends another begins. What is to be gained by not, at the very least, cancelling cruises that it would be illegal to operate and therefore are already effectively cancelled by the government (I.e. all those departing before 17th May)? I know that we have been told many times by Molecrochip (who hasn’t posted for ages) that cash flow isn’t a problem, but I’m now beginning to wonder. 

Hi Selbourne,

 

If the new brochure launches before the next cluster of cruises are cancelled, then affected passengers will not be able to trade in their 25% bonus against a potentially cheaper Winter 22/23 cruise on Arvia. 

 

If the cruises are cancelled after pre registration ends and the normal pricing kicks in, then the 25% bonus will most likely be worthless.

 

The other possibility is that the FCC policy is being redesigned to encourage more rebookings and reduce cash refunds, but I would say that this is less likely.

 

P&O promotions are like the DFS sale, but most of the experienced travellers know the deal.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I just want p and o to say something. Getting fed up with the constant emails regarded deals and new booking when all i want to hear is some sort of plan. I know they are waiting on the various governments but at least tell us their plans for vaccine, crew and passengers. Mask wearing, test cruises etc etc. They must have something to go as soon as govs say yes. 

 

Also annoyed at opening of pubs and flights where you cannot social distance yet cruises they have kept everyone in the dark.......

 

Sooo frustrating. Maybe because we now live in a world where communication is soo easy yet seems to be so difficult

Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

The more I think about this, the more odd P&O’s current stance appears to be. I know that some have suggested that they might be waiting for the current promotion to end (1st March?) before they cancel the next tranche of sailings, but P&O always have promotions on and as one ends another begins. What is to be gained by not, at the very least, cancelling cruises that it would be illegal to operate and therefore are already effectively cancelled by the government (I.e. all those departing before 17th May)? I know that we have been told many times by Molecrochip (who hasn’t posted for ages) that cash flow isn’t a problem, but I’m now beginning to wonder. 

I agree that it seems odd. However I don’t think P&O worry one jot about their loyal customers fretting over their hard earned money and/or their potentially lost holidays. They are being told what to do by Carnival and have no option to rattle out the same old answers.

I have no cruises booked but feel so sorry for those who do.

I have to say I am very anxious about the short term future for Arcadia and especially Aurora....

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it’s simply because they want more advice about sailings AFTER June 21st because in their eyes it is better to cancel a bunch of cruises all at once instead of cancelling handful of cruises one month and then more the month after. 
its simple them trying to handle the PR by staying out of the news as much as possible. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Read an article recently that basically said NCL were looking at a 90 day window to begin their restart...of course they didn't specify when that 90 days would start, but if we used that as a rough guide for the industry it would make sense that P&O are maybe adopting the same approach?

By not taking any future bookings prior to June, not only does this give them time to process cancellations without adding to the burden, but it also falls into that 90 day lead time concept, keeping in mind that they and every other line are working on a  sliding scale dependent on local gov't regulations.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Angel57 said:

I agree that it seems odd. However I don’t think P&O worry one jot about their loyal customers fretting over their hard earned money and/or their potentially lost holidays. They are being told what to do by Carnival and have no option to rattle out the same old answers.

I have no cruises booked but feel so sorry for those who do.

I have to say I am very anxious about the short term future for Arcadia and especially Aurora....

My thoughts too.

One only has to look at the refunds fiasco last year to see what their attitude is to their loyal passengers.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, joeecco said:

I think it’s simply because they want more advice about sailings AFTER June 21st because in their eyes it is better to cancel a bunch of cruises all at once instead of cancelling handful of cruises one month and then more the month after. 
its simple them trying to handle the PR by staying out of the news as much as possible. 

Good points.

With final payment only 30 days from the cruise they have given themselves a lot of flexibility for when to cancel.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

My thoughts too.

One only has to look at the refunds fiasco last year to see what their attitude is to their loyal passengers.

 

Yes, they don't learn.

 

Last March there was some sympathy. 

 

This March, whether the problem is in Miami or Southampton, the current impasse is of their own making.

 

At least the videos have stopped. Say grace for small mercies...

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, joeecco said:

I think it’s simply because they want more advice about sailings AFTER June 21st because in their eyes it is better to cancel a bunch of cruises all at once instead of cancelling handful of cruises one month and then more the month after. 
its simple them trying to handle the PR by staying out of the news as much as possible. 


Could be, but then it helps their cash flow and workload to cancel in batches of, say, two months at a time, so it would make sense to cancel the next batch of cruises now. I just don’t see the government formally being prepared to say that overseas cruises are clear to go until they have had other forms of overseas holidays operating without incident for a period. I just don’t see them starting up at the same time as, for example, overseas flights. Around UK cruises might be an exception and I could see those commencing earlier, perhaps June or July. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with Barbara Muckermann, CMO Silversea Cruises
      • ICYM Our Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Explore the Remote World with Hurtigruten!
      • Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team: New Ship Ultramarine
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...