RCL: Please Consider Adding College Mixers for Ages18 - early 20s Traveling with Parents

1 hour ago, John Reid said:

Will cruisers that age who are not in college be restricted?

Restricted from what? Curfew, going around the ship? Sorry not sure what you are asking, but they probably won't be. There might be a curfew, but I don't know what the age cut off is.

15 hours ago, erinsmom03 said:

Wow... I certainly don't hover over my daughter. I was just curious if your own, not work related, children were young girls of 18 going into a bar by herself. I don't see where you actually answered that question.

Sorry, I will be more specific.  I don't have daughters.  Adults, which is 18 years old, both male and female, go to bars and clubs around the world, literally hundreds of thousands of them.  These young adults go to meet people.  It is one of the most common places for young people to hang out in to socialize and meet others and/or friends.  The bars on the ship are not like bars in college towns.  Much different.  In my opinion, much more safe, since it is a controlled environment. 

25 minutes ago, Joseph2017China said:

Sorry, I will be more specific.  I don't have daughters.  Adults, which is 18 years old, both male and female, go to bars and clubs around the world, literally hundreds of thousands of them.  These young adults go to meet people.  It is one of the most common places for young people to hang out in to socialize and meet others and/or friends.  The bars on the ship are not like bars in college towns.  Much different.  In my opinion, much more safe, since it is a controlled environment. 

Agreed.  "College Mixers" makes me laugh.  18+ year olds would also laugh at that - they just want to drink and court one another.  The perfect place to do that is bars on a cruise ship!  

@LAnn, you’ve had some helpful suggestions.

Have you considered bringing along one of your 18-year old daughter’s friends?   The 2 of them could have fun with each other -  or together explore places to meet other young adults.   

10 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

Restricted from what? Curfew, going around the ship? Sorry not sure what you are asking, but they probably won't be. There might be a curfew, but I don't know what the age cut off is.

I would assume he means from the college mixer.  Not all 20 somethings go to college.

12 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

There might be a curfew, but I don't know what the age cut off is

Probably not nearly late enough. I think it is 1am for under 18s. My trip on Indy in 2017 2 cruises before the fall TA was I won't say wrecked I will say made an interesting experience by 1 horrid unruly teen with poor to zero parental control - english not american but lets not go down that road - who was wanting underage drink off me. He was under 18 though he had younger brother with him. The younger brother wasn't doing too much but would be a witness. Not too bad for me I could put him off. Could even have charged 30 bucks for a jack and coke and vanished with his money🤣.  Though I was worried about my fathers safety to be fair. He was sexually abusing girls by upskirting them (taking a picture up their skirt with a cellphone). Rude to staff racist I think. He probably was. He was causing so much trouble and very drunk people were ready to kill him and they can let the brother live of course?. So could have been a double murder. Would have destroyed the Royal line. They didn't kick em off until the last day.

Edited by ace2542
2 hours ago, later said:

I would assume he means from the college mixer.  Not all 20 somethings go to college.

He is on about the so called 18-25 age grouping.

16 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

". . . so I thought I would just put out there this idea of adding college mixers as young adult programming."

The words of Lucy Van Pelt to Charlie Brown came to mind. 

10 hours ago, Joseph2017China said:

Sorry, I will be more specific.  I don't have daughters.  Adults, which is 18 years old, both male and female, go to bars and clubs around the world, literally hundreds of thousands of them.  These young adults go to meet people.  It is one of the most common places for young people to hang out in to socialize and meet others and/or friends.  The bars on the ship are not like bars in college towns.  Much different.  In my opinion, much more safe, since it is a controlled environment. 

I don't think you understand what she is trying to say. It is not about how safe or controlled the environment is, but about how girls of that age rarely feel comfortable going to bars or dance clubs alone. Yes it might be one of the "most common places for young people to hang out in to socialize and meet others and/or friends" but generally speaking girls go to those places with friends, rarely on their own. If you did have daughters of your own, you would understand that it is not so much a matter of the parent's worry about them going by themselves, but the daughter's own concern about walking in on her own, trying to find others of the same age range to talk to, perhaps being a little bit insecure about joining a group of same-age people who all know each other already and feeling a bit left out. It's not as easy as saying "hey can I join you" sometimes, as young adults that age can be very cliquey, especially girls. Men are used to just going to bars by themselves, but sometimes even women my age (and I'm in my 30s) refuse to go to the pub, bar, club alone, without friends. I went to a school reunion a few years ago that was being held in a bar and someone I was friendly with said I was "so brave" for coming alone without friends. It's messed up, I grant you, but that is often how it is. 

Having been a girl of that age myself without any siblings to holiday with I can relate and understand that mixers like that would be more preferable to those holidaying without siblings, similar age relatives, or friends, and for young adults who suffer with shyness or are a little more socially awkward and find it difficult to make friends easily. I have seen 18-20 meet ups on the cruise compass occasionally, usually on the first day/evening of the cruise and have seen groups of that age range hanging out in the bars and VCL at night having met at that meet-up. However, this was on cruises out of the UK so I don't know how different it is on cruises out of the US. I assume quite different since you can drink alcohol at 18 on UK cruises and that tends to make making friends a lot easier. I think a good idea is either bringing along a friend for your daughter, or finding other families on your roll call or other groups that are going on the cruise so she can chat to them before the cruise. That way she will know a few people before you even get on board. 

47 minutes ago, cloud_nine said:

I don't think you understand what she is trying to say. It is not about how safe or controlled the environment is, but about how girls of that age rarely feel comfortable going to bars or dance clubs alone. Yes it might be one of the "most common places for young people to hang out in to socialize and meet others and/or friends" but generally speaking girls go to those places with friends, rarely on their own. If you did have daughters of your own, you would understand that it is not so much a matter of the parent's worry about them going by themselves, but the daughter's own concern about walking in on her own, trying to find others of the same age range to talk to, perhaps being a little bit insecure about joining a group of same-age people who all know each other already and feeling a bit left out. It's not as easy as saying "hey can I join you" sometimes, as young adults that age can be very cliquey, especially girls. Men are used to just going to bars by themselves, but sometimes even women my age (and I'm in my 30s) refuse to go to the pub, bar, club alone, without friends. I went to a school reunion a few years ago that was being held in a bar and someone I was friendly with said I was "so brave" for coming alone without friends. It's messed up, I grant you, but that is often how it is. 

Having been a girl of that age myself without any siblings to holiday with I can relate and understand that mixers like that would be more preferable to those holidaying without siblings, similar age relatives, or friends, and for young adults who suffer with shyness or are a little more socially awkward and find it difficult to make friends easily. I have seen 18-20 meet ups on the cruise compass occasionally, usually on the first day/evening of the cruise and have seen groups of that age range hanging out in the bars and VCL at night having met at that meet-up. However, this was on cruises out of the UK so I don't know how different it is on cruises out of the US. I assume quite different since you can drink alcohol at 18 on UK cruises and that tends to make making friends a lot easier. I think a good idea is either bringing along a friend for your daughter, or finding other families on your roll call or other groups that are going on the cruise so she can chat to them before the cruise. That way she will know a few people before you even get on board. 

Thank you, I had a busy day and couldn't answer until now. You answered perfectly for me!

We have usually travel with another family so that our only child always has a friend or cousin with her. We've done this since she was 5. Or, we bring a friend along. However, so far no one else is able to go on our next cruise (maybe because she has 3 friend going with us just seven months later). Since it will be a short 4 night cruise, we plan to enjoy our time together with her after her first semester away at college. I have no problem with her going off and making friends on her own. I just know that there is no way she would walk into a bar by herself to try to meet people. She wouldn't feel comfortable. So if there was an organized meet up, great! If not, no big deal. I know she will have a great cruise no matter what 😊

13 hours ago, cloud_nine said:

Just for the record, I work in a place (with over 50K adults in that age group) and am not allowed to say that females are any different than males and must always be treated and have same expectations of being equal in all matters.......although you nicely put this, I am inclined to point out that males are also shy, and often times go out to places not alone, but in little packs of friends.  

With removing references to male/female, my kids, one which was shy, and the other, very outgoing, have always managed to meet people of the same age range and my "shy one" actually met his future wife in a club while under 21 (18+ could go w/o drinking).  

So now this post is no longer about organized mixers for an age group, but having something for shy kids.....who most likely would not go anyway....

My only point is that the ship is filled with opportunities around the ship, where younger people hang out, including pools, bars, and sport decks.