Have you ever joined a cruise at a stop other than the scheduled initial departure port?

LindaJ+

We signed up for "Baltic Capitals" - May 2022.  It departs Amsterdam but because we've already been to Amsterdam a couple times, we'd prefer to spend a few days before the cruise in Copenhagen, which is the first port call (after a sea day).  Is it possible to join the ship there or is it a big fuss?

Yes and CB outlines the process.  What we don’t know is if Covid changes any of this as they may be doing medical screening in Amsterdam but not be setup for it in Copenhagen.

• Like 1

As a pax, yes. We picked up Veendam in Puerto Vallarta and took her to Port Everglades

As crew (yes, I know, it's not the same) numerous times, the one that stands out was a cross island trek from Santo Domingo to Samana, in which my life flashed in front of me on several occasions as my driver, who fashioned himself the Dominican version of Michael Schumacher, Lewis Hamilton and Max Verstappen combined, was dodging cows, motor scooters, bicycles, peds, mopeds and any other modes of road transportation imaginable on a two-hour adventure formerly known as a Disneyland E-ticket 

Administrative Map of Dominican Republic

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, KirkNC said:

Yes and CB outlines the process.  What we don’t know is if Covid changes any of this as they may be doing medical screening in Amsterdam but not be setup for it in Copenhagen.

What is CB?

3 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

You will require approval of the cruise line. Get it in writing and bring it with you. You will not get any price break for the time not on the ship. A special lifeboat drill will be done for you.

Great.   How far ahead should we contact HAL?  maybe our TA should do that? 

1 minute ago, LPYRCRUISER said:

How about the opposite?  i found a cruise Amsterdam round trip, but the last day is in London.  Could i depart the ship a day early in London?

Same answer. You need to get permission from HAL first. 

Since London is no longer part of the European Union, and depending on which port you have before, and the Immigration formalities in either port, there may be some complications. There may not be complications, or they may be resolved easily. 

Start by having your TA contact HAL to work out the details. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, LPYRCRUISER said:

How about the opposite?  i found a cruise Amsterdam round trip, but the last day is in London.  Could i depart the ship a day early in London?

Just now, RuthC said:

Since London is no longer part of the European Union, and depending on which port you have before, and the Immigration formalities in either port, there may be some complications. There may not be complications, or they may be resolved easily. 

I was just starting to reply, but RuthC has put the detail much better than me!

Until now, it was not much of a problem, but as RuthC points out, UK is no longer part of EU, so Customs and Immigration may need to be dealt with in UK.  It would be absolutely necessary to discuss with HAL, but I fear that the answer may not be forthcoming for a few months, until the 'small print' of Brexit is digested.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RuthC said:

thanks for your prompt reply.  this is a bucket list cruise, probably won't actually book for a couple of more years.  But, that doesn't stop me from researching and seeing what's out there!  I like to have options.

13 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

You or your TA can...probably you. I would start at least a month in advance. 

And what happens if they say no!  The time to make the request is prior to final pmt (and penalty period) if a "no" would be a deal breaker.  Most cruise lines now have specific forms that must be completed (and submitted) while some lines are content with an e-mail.  If the cruise is booked through a cruise agent/agency the request should be through the agent.  

Hank

Something similar:  We were cruising in Asia and the ship stopped in Keelung for a day and then on to Hong Kong.  DW wanted to stay a couple of days in Taiwan with relatives and friends and meet the ship in Hong Kong.  We just asked at the front desk the day before.  They made arrangements for a Taiwan customs inspector to meet her and her luggage about two hours after we arrived in Keelung.  Later I met her at the HK airport when the ship was there.  She needed a new key card.  I noticed later that they didn't charge her for gratuities the three days she was off the ship.

Ray

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Not HAL ... but my girlfriends and I did ditch a river boat after being stuck between two dams on the Douro River for 5 days.  We just took our suitcases on the day trip bus and said, "Bye, thanks" on our way off the boat.  All one country, though ... no border/immigration issues.