No Cruise Tourism to Cayman Islands Before 2022?

It's just a matter of time for the various islands, and typical, traditional cruise ports of call, to be determining when cruise ships will be allowed to return.  The linked article is not a law or regulation, rather information during an interview.  However, from the mouth of the Premier are words worth noting.  Looks like a lot of private islands are in the future for 2020 cruises.  

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/24185-no-cruise-tourism-to-cayman-islands-before-2022-government.html

No Cruise Tourism to Cayman Islands Before 2022 – Government

January 12, 2021

The Caymans have billions of dollars in their hundreds of banks.  Don't need cruises quite as much as some of the other ports.  Oh....not to mention the turtle farm and the rum cake.  

:-)  Those "billions of dollars" belong to people, most of whom don't live on island.  There are no taxes, so the government has no access to any of that.

What it does have is a very active financial sector, with businesses paying their registration fees, and paying employees to work for them on island, and those employees buys groceries, go to restaurants and bars, etc, because they don't need to wear masks or practice social distancing because there has been no community spread of the virus in months.

They have talked about what it's going to take to get overnight visitors to come again.  To do this they want their own population to be vaccinated, especially those that are routinely in contact with tourists, to have everyone visiting the island be vaccinated and to have a negative PCR test 72 hours before arrival.  There will be additional tests once a guest is on island, too.  They are talking about maybe having this start late Spring.

I think that for the cruise visitors it's going to depend on a lot of factors that Cayman can't control, including the spread of the virus in other countries, where the visitors will come from.  Are cruise ships going to provide routine PCR testing on board?  Too many variables, I would say.

• 1 month later...

Interesting to see that our May 15th voyage on the Caribbean Princess still shows that there is a stop at Grand Cayman.  Even though it's listed in the itinerary with excursions and port timing information regarding having tenders to go ashore, the map of the itinerary doesn't show that stop, rather it shows a stop in Costa Maya instead, so I guess we'll have to wait and see what the real situation is.

On 3/4/2021 at 5:32 AM, Grego said:

Interesting to see that our May 15th voyage on the Caribbean Princess still shows that there is a stop at Grand Cayman.  Even though it's listed in the itinerary with excursions and port timing information regarding having tenders to go ashore, the map of the itinerary doesn't show that stop, rather it shows a stop in Costa Maya instead, so I guess we'll have to wait and see what the real situation is.

May 2021?  I can guarantee you’re not stopping in Grand Cayman.  There’s only a slim chance the border will be open for flights by then, and they’ve said cruises definitely won’t return any time soon.  And that’s if your cruise actually even sails at all.

May 2022?  Maybe.  You’ve got a much better chance, but it’s by no means guaranteed.  There’s a lot of opposition to cruise stops, and the covid situation has made it worse, as far as I can tell from reading news reports and the comments on them.  The new port idea has been scrapped, and even its strongest supporters in govt seem to have backtracked on the idea.  Then again, there’s an election going on, so people will say whatever they think will help them gain votes.

3 minutes ago, bookbabe said:

May 2021?  I can guarantee you’re not stopping in Grand Cayman.  There’s only a slim chance the border will be open for flights by then, and they’ve said cruises definitely won’t return any time soon.  And that’s if your cruise actually even sails at all.

May 2022?  Maybe.  You’ve got a much better chance, but it’s by no means guaranteed.  There’s a lot of opposition to cruise stops, and the covid situation has made it worse, as far as I can tell from reading news reports and the comments on them.  The new port idea has been scrapped, and even its strongest supporters in govt seem to have backtracked on the idea.  Then again, there’s an election going on, so people will say whatever they think will help them gain votes.

First of all, it's not if our cruise actually even sails as you say, there are plenty of other scheduled sailings following that which we have the luxury of booking the next one out when that happens.

The real issue is one of the Cayman government doesn't really need to have cruise commerce to return any time soon.  Their economy can survive without the influx of people that may or may not bring any health issues to their fair island.

Having been to Grand Cayman many times during our 45 cruise history with Princess, I do enjoy making a brief walkabout in the city and visiting some of the shops, like Kay's Jewelry to meet our friends there, but if we can't stop there and the itinerary changes to another port such as Costa Maya then we would be just as happy with that.

It's all about being on the ship on the open ocean and the arrival and departures from the various ports.