Jump to content

Sailings now cancelled through April 30


Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, molly361 said:

I forgot about Alaska-  I thought you went to Maine and the Keys😇

 

No, we skipped going to Maine this last year.  

 

The Keys?  In our motorhome last September.  Once again, not at a hotel...and in remote area of Marathon.  Quite easy to self isolate in your own motorhome.  Bath house, laundry, and pool not open.  We had very limited contact with others, except grocery run to Publix...same as we would here.  And once again was months ago.  Covid cases are more than double what they were then, and worse.  

 

This is another reason that RV sales have sky rocketed, and you can't find available sites to stay at RV parks...they are all booked up.  It's another good alternative to group type travel. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/14/2021 at 10:17 AM, orville99 said:

It was one county - Volusia - and they quickly changed to a "by appointment only" model, and are now telling people with appointments to show up no more than one hour before their scheduled time. I guess that's one of the reasons I like living in Florida, and why I don't miss living in New York (lived there for 50years).At least down here when we see a problem we try to find a solution.

That was at the local football stadium and was put out by Halifax Healthcare, our community not for profit institution.  It’s was a crap shoot for sure and gave them and us a black eye.  Typical, for a public hospital. Advent Health has done a much better job.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, island lady said:

Follow up:

 

Both of us got the vaccine shot yesterday for the drive through appointment I had.  Couldn't have gone more smoothly.  No lines, no waiting.  Drove in, and then was driving out after required 15 minutes observation all taking 18 minutes.  Easy Peasy.  

Glad you both got it. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

First state to reach the one million milestone 

WV just moved up to #1 based on % administered, Texas moved up to #6, Florida moved up 6 spots to #16, NY is still at #28, and CA is bring up the rear at a steady #44.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Coattails are good at times. 😎

 

Cocktails?   Could use some now...not just to celebrate...but perhaps ease that ache in my arm (good as an excuse as any  😉 ).   

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, island lady said:

 

I wondered about that as well.   Will Covid vaccines be required each year...as in the the flu vaccine?  

They keep saying they dont know how long the vaccine lasts. ..it hasnt been out long enough to know.

 

Idk if there is some disconnect. A doctor was saying he liked Biden's idea of money for more vaccine centres. Dallas has picked 2 more sites. Sites arent the problem, getting enough doses is a problem. Why doesnt the govt ship more doses? Are we going to run out if they ship more at a time? That's worrying me. We asked for 12k doses for the center we opened and got 6k. They are hoping for 12k next week...toward a 250k list. Going to take a long time to get thru even 1A and 1B...and the sign up list grows daily.

Edited by firefly333
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, orville99 said:

WV just moved up to #1 based on % administered, Texas moved up to #6, Florida moved up 6 spots to #16, NY is still at #28, and CA is bring up the rear at a steady #44.

I live 45 min from WV.   Too bad I can't just go over there and get mine as they'll get to the general public long before VA will.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, BND said:

I live 45 min from WV.   Too bad I can't just go over there and get mine as they'll get to the general public long before VA will.  

Who is to say you can't? I am hearing lots of testimonials from those crossing state lines (many leaving NY) to get vaccinated elsewhere.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, molly361 said:

vachcineBy the time everyone gets one some of you will be going back for your yearly booster shot😇

 

I forgot what is this thread about??

It doesn't even matter, because now regardless of whether getting it (vaccine) or not, everyone must pass a test (< 72 hours) even on the return international flight to US.  How flying back home after the cruise on the same day (the majority do that) would be accomplished?  And if a flight is delayed, and a test becomes beyond 72 hours it must be retaken.  How? Where?  Seriously, without hotel or whatever else?  " “The Terminal” is a moving tale, where Tom Hanks plays the victim of the modern world" - how precisely described what's is coming!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, kirtihk said:

How flying back home after the cruise on the same day (the majority do that) would be accomplished?

Because the CDC says the cruise lines have to test you before disembarkation (which seem a logistical mess, but isn't all of this unnecessary stuff?).

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, orville99 said:

 

 

BTW, Moderna released a statement on wednesday that their ongoing monitoring of their trial subjects indicated that immunity lasts at least a year.

How do they know? Have trials been going on for a year? Compared to other vaccines I don't know that I would consider a year of protection as a great accomplishment.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

How do they know? Have trials been going on for a year? Compared to other vaccines I don't know that I would consider a year of protection as a great accomplishment.

It is my understanding that their assessment comes from their entire collection of data points, which would go back as far as their initial results from their "challenge" (open label) trials in February/March 2020. I would presume they are using a sophisticated regression analysis on their entire data set to model the rate of decay in antibody levels, and that regression analysis indicates that after a year, the antibody levels are still above the FDA's mandated minimum effectivity %. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, orville99 said:

It is my understanding that their assessment comes from their entire collection of data points, which would go back as far as their initial results from their "challenge" (open label) trials in February/March 2020. I would presume they are using a sophisticated regression analysis on their entire data set to model the rate of decay in antibody levels, and that regression analysis indicates that after a year, the antibody levels are still above the FDA's mandated minimum effectivity %. 

It still seems premature to me.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, BND said:

I live 45 min from WV.   Too bad I can't just go over there and get mine as they'll get to the general public long before VA will.  

According to the local officials that have been contacted by the Feds, any vaccine that is under their distribution control has to be made available to any qualified individual in the target groups, regardless of which state or county they live. That's why we have people coming in to Florida from Georgia, New York, etc. to get vaccinated. The local media calls it "Vaccination tourism".

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

How do they know? Have trials been going on for a year? Compared to other vaccines I don't know that I would consider a year of protection as a great accomplishment.

My thoughts exactly. How do they know how long it protects you when they have not even been studying it for that long? To much "just trust what I say" going on for my liking. 

 

And if it is going to be a yearly shot, then they are basically saying it is another flu shot. We all know the flu is not full-proof and many, many people get the flu after getting the shot.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

It still seems premature to me.

Regression analysis is the standard of calculation. If it were not, predicting the date at which Ra226 is no longer radioactive by regression analysis is also premature, given that none of us will be here 1,600 years from now (and that's just its first Half Life) to find out for sure.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, orville99 said:

Regression analysis is the standard of calculation. If it were not, predicting the date at which Ra226 is no longer radioactive by regression analysis is also premature, given that none of us will be here 1,600 years from now (and that's just its first Half Life) to find out for sure.

Do all the math you want. Show me antibody levels a year after the immunizations occured. Compare them to levels at three and six months. Life does not need to be complicated.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, smokeybandit said:

A year would be great, especially when you compare it to the flu vaccine which is 3-4 months.

The flu vaccine isn't a great vaccine in the first place and is used to cover a seasonal pathogen.  When we have vaccines that produce years, or even life times, of protection getting a year out of these new tech mRNA vaccines does not register in my mind as great.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Hammergirl said:

My thoughts exactly. How do they know how long it protects you when they have not even been studying it for that long? To much "just trust what I say" going on for my liking. 

 

And if it is going to be a yearly shot, then they are basically saying it is another flu shot. We all know the flu is not full-proof and many, many people get the flu after getting the shot.

No vaccine is full proof, has never been advertised as such. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/14/2021 at 8:53 AM, orville99 said:

Funny how other governors (like Justice in WV) have managed to get every shot available in every willing arm without whining about the federal government.

 

Not quite accurate. WV leaned heavily on the National Guard which is reimbursed with federal funds.

 

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/01/11/how-west-virginia-became-a-top-state-for-covid-vaccine-administration-gov-jim-justice.html

 

But kudo's to WV. Rather than make people wait on long lines or call for an appointment, they took the vaccine to the people that needed it the most - those in Nursing Homes and Assisted Living.  It's easy to administer a lot of jabs very quickly when in a concentrated location.

 

Let's wait a few weeks to see to see what the percentage is once it's opened to the general population.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...