The Future Of The Pride Of America

37 minutes ago, Silver Sweethearts said:

The Pride of America is a unique ship in a unique area, but we feel that it being in Hawaii may pose more Covid-19 and associated problems than NCL wants to handle.  Any opinions?? 

If anything the POA is NCL's least problematic ship because it's the only one that can resume cruising its normal itinerary by complying with the laws and regulations of only one country, the USA. 

I've also heard (but I can't prove it) that it may be NCL's most profitable ship, which provides even more incentive to get it back in service as quickly as possible.

2 hours ago, njhorseman said:

If anything the POA is NCL's least problematic ship because it's the only one that can resume cruising its normal itinerary by complying with the laws and regulations of only one country, the USA. 

I've also heard (but I can't prove it) that it may be NCL's most profitable ship, which provides even more incentive to get it back in service as quickly as possible.

We will be curious to hear how NCL/CDC propose to get passengers to Honolulu and through the islands if they have to do multiple timely Covid tests for everyone along the way.  Each island has their own special rules.

8 hours ago, Silver Sweethearts said:

We will be curious to hear how NCL/CDC propose to get passengers to Honolulu and through the islands if they have to do multiple timely Covid tests for everyone along the way.  Each island has their own special rules.

Hawaii needs to put a stop to each island setting its own rules and instead have a single testing requirement applicable to everyone arriving in the state.  I can't understand why each island is permitted act as though it's an independent country.

25 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

Hawaii needs to put a stop to each island setting its own rules and instead have a single testing requirement applicable to everyone arriving in the state.  I can't understand why each island is permitted act as though it's an independent country.

And Hawaii allows a transit through Honolulu to other islands on the initial test. That concept can easily expanded to allow transit direct to the ship, and  the stops at other islands, perhaps with an onboard test midway through the cruise.

2 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

And Hawaii allows a transit through Honolulu to other islands on the initial test. That concept can easily expanded to allow transit direct to the ship, and  the stops at other islands, perhaps with an onboard test midway through the cruise.

Hawaii has always been a huge Asian hub of the pacific ocean. I only wish to see it grow and become even bigger. Hawaii is itself a very nice place to stay and do business. I really hope that it will only continue to grow these days 

38 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

Hawaii has always been a huge Asian hub of the pacific ocean. I only wish to see it grow and become even bigger. Hawaii is itself a very nice place to stay and do business. I really hope that it will only continue to grow these days 

Just curious,  what do you mean by "huge Asian hub"?

6 hours ago, njhorseman said:

I can't understand why each island is permitted act as though it's an independent country.

The local politics on each island, and in some cases areas of an island, are extremely complex. We're currently sitting on Maui, but on the far side near Hana where very few tourists go except for the one day car ride they take to and from. Frankly, there are some times that we feel very unwelcome here by the locals/native Hawaiians. We have family that live here, which is why were visiting at the moment, that 

There is a medium strong independence movement among native Hawaiians (flags and signs on the road are the most visible sign of it), that while unlikely to ever be successful, can barge its way into local mayoral politics and each island has its own mayor. Its a balance of keeping the island open as possible for business/tourism while at the same time, literally not p!ssing off the natives who would prefer the tourists not be there. 

Maui is relatively tourist friendly, our current location on it aside, and opened up quickly and is easy to visit. Places like Kauai have a much more conservative approach as demonstrated by their more stringent requirements right now to visit. It's much easier to consider each island like its own state and the state government more like the federal government. I know thats now how it legally is structured but it is the most concise answer to your question. 

3 hours ago, philv said:

Isn’t the vaccine going to change all this? If NCL or the islands require a vaccine passport, doesn’t that solve the problem?

The Hawaiian Governor has stated that once vaccinations get fairly widespread, and the CDC publishes guidance on traveling with the vaccine, he will likely remove the testing/quarantine requirement to travel to Hawaii for those who have been vaccinated. He didn't specifically mention cruising, but you can probably extrapolate a bit.