Jump to content

Potential Carnival Port Replacements


cmukid87
 Share

Recommended Posts

Not to headline grab but I am genuinely curious.  

 

We have our sailing booked for May 3 (I'm not interested in the "you probably won't be cruising anyways" dialogue).  One port of call is Grand Cayman.  It's been documented that GC isn't necessarily keen on the idea of allowing cruise passengers back this year.  Leads me to question what POC could be substituted.  

 

Our other POC is Ocho Rios and we are leaving out of Miami for 5 days.  Any thoughts?  Is a POC not being open an opportunity to reschedule our sailing?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Rcl is introducing new cruises that leave from barbados that dont come under cdc protocols. Using a smaller ship vision class to get to new to us, 3 new ports. Should be public tomorrow. Starting this winter. Emails sent today to introduce a new port that you can fly to, instead of cruising out of USA.

 

And for the first time ever, this tropical paradise unlocks spectacular shores in the southern Caribbean, Central America and beyond — including three new ports in Tobago, Trinidad and St. Vincent"

Edited by firefly333
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, beef8066 said:

I was wondering if they would focus on private islands, such as half moon cay or Princess cay. 

Galveston doesnt have 3 ports so none going to coco cay anymore because key west gone. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Rcl is introducing new cruises that leave from barbados that dont come under cdc protocols. Using a smaller ship vision class to get to new to us, 3 new ports. Should be public tomorrow. Starting this winter. Emails sent today to introduce a new port that you can fly to, instead of cruising out of USA.


If true, wonder how practical that option will be when passengers disembark and attempt boarding return flight to home country, wherever that may be.  For the US, beginning January 26, negative Covid test results required.

Edited by logan25
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, logan25 said:


If true, wonder how that will work when passengers disembark and attempt boarding return flight to home country, wherever that may be.  For the US, beginning January 26, negative Covid test results required.

I havent seen this? I'll be vaccinated so maybe that will work. I'd say lots will be vaccinated by then. 

 

As it says above the cruise start NEXT winter. Who knows in another year.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I havent seen this? I'll be vaccinated so maybe that will work. I'd say lots will be vaccinated by then. 

 

As it says above the cruise start NEXT winter. Who knows in another year.


I agree much can change between now and Winter 2021/2022.  Sadly, not enough has improved in the span of nearly a year.

 

As to whether vaccination will negate the test requirement..again, sadly no.  The FAQ is very clear that proof of vaccination is irrelevant, at present.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, logan25 said:


If true, wonder how practical that option will be when passengers disembark and attempt boarding return flight to home country, wherever that may be.  For the US, beginning January 26, negative Covid test results required.

 

 

within 3 days of flights.

 

The vaccine my only protect for a year, if that. Hard to say until at least a year has past with the first batch of guinea pigs.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, logan25 said:

The FAQ is very clear that proof of vaccination is irrelevant, at present.

Only because they dont know. It's under study. There should be enough vaccinated people by next winter they will know if vaccinated people spread it. 

 

I dont care if you need a covid test to fly as I booked only out of Galveston thru sept 2022. I'll drive not fly for a while if cruises reopen. I just hope carnival sails by sept. Yes I'm worried.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We're on the same cruise.  Good for us!  🤪

 

Assuming we actually sail, I suspect we'll simply be routed east following the 'Bahamas loop' typical of our ship's 5 dayers in that time frame. 

 

I'm sure you're like us.  Where are we going?  Who the h*ll cares -- just get me out to sea !

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't know about the east but in the west I'd love to see ports of call further into south America. I'd love a nice long cruise that goes up and down the west coasts of the Americas from Mexico to Chile and all in between. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

Rcl is introducing new cruises that leave from barbados that dont come under cdc protocols. Using a smaller ship vision class to get to new to us, 3 new ports. Should be public tomorrow. 

 

Yep, it's true and RCI website already has 15 sailing dates posted today! They must have some logistics figured out before announcing (at least I would hope it's not a $$ grab for new deposits anyway).

 

I bet more cruise lines look in this direction. I'm sure that Carnival is (has been) watching 😁

 

image.png

image.png

image.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think the first one is dec 2021, the email said prices start at 399 pp for 7 days. I think the longest is 14 days. Some are excited for the new ports. The ta who posted it on rcl threads says they will be adding more flights as it will be a regular departure port for air going there and can book air and hotel thru rcl too or not. Looks like rcl decided to circumvent cdc. Cdc seems to want to keep cruises closed forever from usa. If being vaccinated not enough ... that's overreacting. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't believe anyone would call that a "reasonable drive".  It is at least 2 hours under ideal conditions.

 

You would need to purchase vehicle insurance for driving that far into Mexico with your own vehicle.....and that is expensive.

 

Rental cars are prohibited from making that trip.

 

Parking in the port of Ensenada is not available.

 

Many times in the past, cruise lines would charter buses to go from the pier in San Diego to the Mexican port.  I recall about 52-54 coaches each way and long delays boarding them and when they arrived at that port.  If you call a snack bar and a bottle of water a reasonable lunch, then maybe you can manage.

 

With only one bathroom on each bus, and delays at the border crossing .....not a good transit.

 

 

David

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, cmukid87 said:

Not to headline grab but I am genuinely curious.  

 

We have our sailing booked for May 3 (I'm not interested in the "you probably won't be cruising anyways" dialogue).  One port of call is Grand Cayman.  It's been documented that GC isn't necessarily keen on the idea of allowing cruise passengers back this year.  Leads me to question what POC could be substituted.  

 

Our other POC is Ocho Rios and we are leaving out of Miami for 5 days.  Any thoughts?  Is a POC not being open an opportunity to reschedule our sailing?

Miami -sea day -Ocho Rios -anywhere in the Bahamas including private islands -Miami

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

I wonder if they'd do Montego Bay and Ocho Rios.

As of now no one is getting into Jamaica without a negative Covid Test. Maybe that will change by then, who knows?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, ninjacat123 said:

Regarding the West Coast, what if Royal Caribbean cruised out of Ensenada?  That's a reasonable drive from San Diego and they could cruise the Mexican Riviera.  

I took celebrity and they drove us down to ensenda, then we hopped on the ship to hawaii. We took a bus down there to board our ship. 

 

I think we meet up at the LA port but I get calif confused...took a flight, got a taxi and boarded a celebrity bus to ensenda. Left from there. So it's been done. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DAllenTCY said:

 

 

With only one bathroom on each bus, and delays at the border crossing .....not a good transit.

 

 

David

I guess I'm easy to please. Enjoyed the bus ride and the scenery. 

 

.....though we really wanted the bus driver to turn down the music. Finally someone spoke enough spanish to get it turned down from blast. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I took celebrity and they drove us down to ensenda, then we hopped on the ship to hawaii. We took a bus down there to board our ship. 

 

I think we meet up at the LA port but I get calif confused...took a flight, got a taxi and boarded a celebrity bus to ensenda. Left from there. So it's been done. 

Carnival has done the same, but I think from San Diego. Complete with police escort all the way to the port.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, BlerkOne said:

Carnival has done the same, but I think from San Diego. Complete with police escort all the way to the port.

Why would carnival need a police escort? I liked the bus ride. Good thing I didnt come here first and read it seems to some to be a bad thing. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/13/2021 at 10:35 AM, cmukid87 said:

 

 

Our other POC is Ocho Rios and we are leaving out of Miami for 5 days.  Any thoughts?  Is a POC not being open an opportunity to reschedule our sailing?

Sometimes carnival has just handed me a paper stating ports were changed. If it's done while boarding too late to reschedule. If done earlier you should be able to, but carnival has been allowing people to move bookings to a later date. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: Virgin Voyages. It's Go Time
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...