What is the current status of Coastal Voyage holidays?

Mcnicm20

Hi

i had the holiday I had booked at the end of March last year moved to this year. When I looked at the website it says the tours from the Uk with flights are cancelled until April, however when I contacted Hurtigruten directly asi booked though a third party they said these holidays are still happening. I am a bit confused ? 

thanks

With few exceptions the coastal route is sailing today. Primary reason is that the voyage is part of the Norwegian infra structure with transport of people, cars and cargo along the coast.

Questions is if you will able to travel into Norway.

Which ship, itinerary and sail date?

Edited by hallasm
  • Like 1

It’s my understanding that Hurtigruten is using Jet2 from UK to Norway.

All Jet2 flights are cancelled until end of March.

Coastal Ships are currently sailing according to schedule - (MS Nordlys might not be sailing).

However, I do not believe it will be possible to travel from UK to Norway for Holiday before April at the earliest.

Check again with your TA.

• 4 weeks later...

The Norwegian Government is extending strict requirements for coastal cruises along the Norwegian coast and on Svalbard. A new assessment will be made during the spring, or if significant changes should require it.

https://www.regjeringen.no/no/aktuelt/regjeringen-forlenger-strenge-krav-for-kystcruise-langs-norskekysten-og-pa-svalbard/id2831465/

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/24331-norway-extends-cruise-restrictions-to-may-1-for-reassessment.html

I have just spoken to ROL who I booked through and Hurtigruten. Evidently this sailing is not cancelled yet. I have to wait until there is two weeks to go or they make a decision to cancel it to get a refund or be able to rebook at the same price. My original booking was a special offer and if I rebook now they won't give me the same discount for no single supplement and I will have to pay more. 

54 minutes ago, Mcnicm20 said:

Evidently this sailing is not cancelled yet.

If you’re booked at a current coastal sailing it will probably not be cancelled - currently Hurtigruten is serving five out of eleven sailings until end of June.

The reason for sailing is primarily to serve passengers, cars and goods along the coast.

More unlikely that you’re are able to travel into Norway and join your voyage - when and which ship?

May be worth considering asking for refund of payments made (depending on timings of bookings this is probably an option) or cruise voucher and rebooking when NSS offer for period you'd like to travel is available.

NSS is a pretty regular offer (currently available on most coastal sailings to end May 21 so probably not wise to rebook yet.

Hi Hallasm and Richws, thanks for the responses.  I know it won't be cancelled as a local sailing but the 12 day round trip with flights and excursions will need to be cancelled. Evidently they have already cancelled January and February - even though ROL seem to think the Round trip sailings with UK flights is still not cancelled yet.  What is annoying is that they know it's not going to be open for a few months yet but they wait until the last minute to cancel.  Evidently they won't do a refund until it's under 14 days to the sailing date. Most of the excursions I want to do are at the cross over between the Winter and Summer period so I will have to wait until next September / March to rebook for and they don't have the NSS for that period yet 

Currently no travel into Norway allowed. Not likely for March or April.

Norway has introduced the strictest entry rules since March 2020. As a general rule, only foreigners residing in Norway can enter Norway. The government will re-assess whether to extend the measures Monday 15 February.

My best guess is that travel restrictions will be extended into at least May.

Hi Hallasm, ROL has just confirmed that the trip is now formally cancelled which is what I was waiting for them to do. They have asked for a quote to move the trip for the 2nd time to next year , if I don't get it for the same price then I'll get a refund and rebook when they do the offers I want.  We're the same in the UK at the moment, Holidays are banned with no date yet when they will be resumed either within the country or overseas but I don't think it will be any time soon. Thanks for the information.  ... 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/11/2021 at 9:22 AM, hallasm said:

Currently no travel into Norway allowed. Not likely for March or April.

Norway has introduced the strictest entry rules since March 2020. As a general rule, only foreigners residing in Norway can enter Norway. The government will re-assess whether to extend the measures Monday 15 February.

My best guess is that travel restrictions will be extended into at least May.

My situation was back in the beginning. We couldn't get into Norway but Hurtigruten wasn't very cooperative about a refund. Nor was Norwegian Air. I wound up emailing their CEOs and got our refunds. It certainly soured my opinion of both.