Packing light for cruise

With the hopes that my OPTIMISTIC  views that our Aug 22nd Oasis cruise is still on, I will ask my questions. 

Last time we sailed over 20 years ago. Formal night was FORMAL. since times have changed. im not going to bring a Tux or dark suite. However, I remember the ship was very cool at night time. If I bring dress pants, collar shirt and a sports coat. Would i feel out of place? Or should i shlep my heavy wool suit also?

8 minutes ago, Iplayslots said:

With the hopes that my OPTIMISTIC  views that our Aug 22nd Oasis cruise is still on, I will ask my questions. 

Last time we sailed over 20 years ago. Formal night was FORMAL. since times have changed. im not going to bring a Tux or dark suite. However, I remember the ship was very cool at night time. If I bring dress pants, collar shirt and a sports coat. Would i feel out of place? Or should i shlep my heavy wool suit also?

You will definitely not feel out of place.  I haven't even brought a sports coat in years

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Iplayslots said:

You may even feel over dressed in that. 

Track suit in case it's chilly (esp on the airplane), 2 swimsuits (doubles as underwear) 2 t-shirts, sneakers.  Ask for a hospitality kit on board -- they hand em out to folks who lost their bags.  That covers the morning SSS.  If I need anything else, buy it from a street vendor in port.  What's a Tux?  and who nowdays wears heavy wool?  OK, I travel solo, and don't have to keep a wife happy.  But I have fun!!  

• Haha 1

We still dress formal in a gown and tux. There are still some that do and others don't. You shouldn't feel out of place if you dress formal as you won't be the only one and will be sharper looking than most. It's up to you.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Iplayslots said:

You will be dressed more formal than about 90 percent of the other passengers, no suite or tie needed, too many wear shorts on formal nights.

You'll be fine.  We haven't gone "formal" in years.

Amusing side story: One of the grandkids said: "Grandpa, why are you always wearing the same thing on all your cruise pictures?"  Donated that tux after that comment. 😆

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

You will definitely not feel out of place.  I haven't even brought a sports coat in years

I usually bring a sport coat for exactly the reason mentioned by the OP - I find many places on the ship to be too cool for me to be comfortable sitting. And a secondary benefit: it makes me a little dressier. I used to bring a tux, but no longer even bring a tie. 

• Like 1

You won't feel over or under dressed. 

WRT light packing, we've been doing that for almost 20 years now- all of our luggage is carry on only.  After being caught in the great midwest snow storm debacle, and having our checked luggage lost for two weeks (thankfully, we were at home)- no more of that.

And that's been easily light enough to carry on the ship, too- it does help to walk on board at 1pm so we can go directly to our cabin.

But even with that, I've been able to have a suit and DW multiple dresses.  Just takes creative packing and planning.

Returning back to the over/under dressed- I still wonder why anyone worries about what other cruisers think of what they are wearing.  If you want to wear a tux/formal dress- go for it.   If you don't, nothing wrong with that.  I think it's kind of crazy that people worry about over dressing.  

23 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

I have always worn a black suit on formal night.  When cruising resumes and I'm planning on upping my formal game to tuxedo. That being said, @Iplayslots you will be fine with a tie and sports coat.   

I've been wondering which direction attire will go when cruising resumes.  Will people who have been cooped up with nowhere to go for over a year decide it's time to up the ante and dress to the nines or will those who have been living in sweats be reluctant to give up casual?

Personally, I think there will be a stronger trend towards casual than there was in the past, but I could be totally wrong.

Either way, it will be fun when things get back to normal and we can have some clothing debates again.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, mek said:

I've been wondering which direction attire will go when cruising resumes.  Will people who have been cooped up with nowhere to go for over a year decide it's time to up the ante and dress to the nines or will those who have been living in sweats be reluctant to give up casual?

Personally, I think there will be a stronger trend towards casual than there was in the past, but I could be totally wrong.

Either way, it will be fun when things get back to normal and we can have some clothing debates again.

I suspect you are right but hope you are wrong.  I enjoy formal nights. It's only two evenings out of an entire week.  I don't see why some people think it is such a burden but I respect everyone's right to do as they please.

It's a fun experience for us and we enjoy the people watching.

Edited by Tree_skier
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/15/2021 at 11:32 AM, ReneeFLL said:

We still dress formal in a gown and tux. There are still some that do and others don't. You shouldn't feel out of place if you dress formal as you won't be the only one and will be sharper looking than most. It's up to you.

We do too.  We love getting dressed up.    Sometimes I feel over dressed in mdr on a regular night, but I dont care I like it!  

I always over pack since we usually do b2b sometimes b2b2b and I try to limit sending laundry out.

• Like 2

On 1/15/2021 at 9:49 AM, Iplayslots said:

If your cruise is leaving out of cape liberty to the bahamas in august you definitely wont need a wool suit.  

• Thanks 1