Jump to content

Covid-19 vaccinations


Recommended Posts

On 1/20/2021 at 1:34 PM, Hawaiidan said:

So you have  no problem  about not isolating to your home, limiting travel ?.... Nor me and ALL my California friends flying to Florida to take from your allotted vaccine?. 

  Looking out for #1 no matter what or who gets in your way.....  First Hog to the trough as it were....   We all are in a world of hurt, but many of us are going to wait our turn... not trample the rights of others.            So Better than that... Ok

Just yesterday (I think it was) our Governor here in Florida has sent word restricting vaccine to Florida residents and those snow birds who spend the season here.  No more to those here on a quick vacation.  A wise move, as far as I'm concerned.  Now I wish he would also limit these initial vaccines to those of us over 75, giving us perhaps a ten-fold better chance of being closer to the first in line.  There are far more  65 to 75 year olds here than there are 75 and over.

Link to post
Share on other sites

"About 8 in 10 deaths have been among people 65 and older, according to the latest demographic data available from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

 

The day after Pres Biden suggested those 65 & older be next for the vaccine, our Governor (WA State) set that as the recommendation & I had my appointments (Feb 6th & March 6th) confirmed 2 days later.  (Best time to call is early AM or late evening when new appointments are available).

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, GeorgesGal said:

Just yesterday (I think it was) our Governor here in Florida has sent word restricting vaccine to Florida residents and those snow birds who spend the season here.  No more to those here on a quick vacation.  A wise move, as far as I'm concerned.  Now I wish he would also limit these initial vaccines to those of us over 75, giving us perhaps a ten-fold better chance of being closer to the first in line.  There are far more  65 to 75 year olds here than there are 75 and over.

It was not that difficult to get appointments for several people at Publix for next week in Stuart/Jensen Beach, just had to get up at 5am and work the site.

 

I know of several 40 year olds who have died from Covid.  I also know of people with cancer and other conditions who are not eligible.   What is needed is time for a greater supply -- because vaccines do not get manufactured overnight. It has only been 1 month since the Moderna received emergency approval.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, PaulMCO said:

It was not that difficult to get appointments for several people at Publix for next week in Stuart/Jensen Beach, just had to get up at 5am and work the site.

Can you expand on 'work the site?'  I know of at least 6 friends in Martin County who can't get past the opening page despite being on the website since 5:30 AM both days.  It would be a big help if they knew the trick to 'working the site."

 

Thanks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Daniel A said:

Can you expand on 'work the site?'  I know of at least 6 friends in Martin County who can't get past the opening page despite being on the website since 5:30 AM both days.  It would be a big help if they knew the trick to 'working the site."

 

Thanks.

The more computers the better.  But it works with one.

 

The operating queue in the Publix site is fixed as not to overload the site.  Your browser is controlling your admittance.  When it refreshes it will check if there is room.  If there is room it will admit a person and you will get a slightly different screen with a next button.   Remember to get into the queue you are competing with most of Florida (less Broward,  Dade and West Coast).  The site automatically refreshes the page once every 60 seconds which is fixed.

 

The key is to refresh the page manually.  If you have a browser it is the circular arrow button.  I had two going at a time.   It took me 30 minutes to get an appointment.  If you are refreshing the screen with one computer every 5 seconds you are 12X more likely to get in. 

 

Make sure you have all your data needed. Name, address, phone, email, and medicare number.

 

Once you are in you pick the State (yes), county and store location.

 

Do not be particular with the date and time. Until you hit confirm the date and time is open to being taken and then while you are still in the queue you have to pick a time/date and answer questions again (I made that mistake).  Pick the last day (that worked best for me).

 

One note -- they opened the site at 0558h two minutes early and I was a minute late getting on the site.

 

You friends in Martin should register on the St Lucie county site.  They will send mail/text when vaccines are available.  I got myself and wife appointments by luck using just an iphone in a supermarket, only because I receive the text that said they had vaccines.  Even better get on their wait list even though it is long -- they are getting about 6K of the Pfizer per week.

 

Hope that helps and stay safe..

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, PaulMCO said:

The more computers the better.  But it works with one.

 

The operating queue in the Publix site is fixed as not to overload the site.  Your browser is controlling your admittance.  When it refreshes it will check if there is room.  If there is room it will admit a person and you will get a slightly different screen with a next button.   Remember to get into the queue you are competing with most of Florida (less Broward,  Dade and West Coast).  The site automatically refreshes the page once every 60 seconds which is fixed.

 

The key is to refresh the page manually.  If you have a browser it is the circular arrow button.  I had two going at a time.   It took me 30 minutes to get an appointment.  If you are refreshing the screen with one computer every 5 seconds you are 12X more likely to get in. 

 

Make sure you have all your data needed. Name, address, phone, email, and medicare number.

 

Once you are in you pick the State (yes), county and store location.

 

Do not be particular with the date and time. Until you hit confirm the date and time is open to being taken and then while you are still in the queue you have to pick a time/date and answer questions again (I made that mistake).  Pick the last day (that worked best for me).

 

One note -- they opened the site at 0558h two minutes early and I was a minute late getting on the site.

 

You friends in Martin should register on the St Lucie county site.  They will send mail/text when vaccines are available.  I got myself and wife appointments by luck using just an iphone in a supermarket, only because I receive the text that said they had vaccines.  Even better get on their wait list even though it is long -- they are getting about 6K of the Pfizer per week.

 

Hope that helps and stay safe..

 

 

Paul-

Thanks for the info, I'll pass it along and give it a try.  Do you know if you can book an appointment for an additional person once you get in?  (I'm referencing making an appointment for the spouse for the same day and time.)  Thanks again.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/19/2021 at 12:17 PM, deadzone1003 said:

You have to also consider the urban/rural factor.  Trying to vaccinate everyone in Alaska at an acceptable rate during the middle of winter is just not going to happen.

As of today, Alaska has the highest rate per 100 people in the country

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/covid-vaccine-tracker-global-distribution/

Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

Paul-

Thanks for the info, I'll pass it along and give it a try.  Do you know if you can book an appointment for an additional person once you get in?  (I'm referencing making an appointment for the spouse for the same day and time.)  Thanks again.

If I remember correctly it asked do you want to book another.. But highly unlikely that you would get a similar date and time.  Once in the site, it took almost 5 minutes to get the appointment, fill the personal data, and answer the standard COVID disclaimer questions (have you been sick, any allergies, medicare insurance etc.).  The fact that Martin had 6 only Publix sites did not help.  Martin was fully booked by 6:45.  Palm Beach was 7:15 and Brevard (near Melbourne) was 7:30.  Panhandle counties (few people) had vaccines until after 8am.

 

This week St. Lucie opens it vaccine appointments for second shots of Pfizer.  Will see how civilized it will be, as we supposed to get an invite.

Edited by PaulMCO
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PaulMCO said:

If I remember correctly it asked do you want to book another.. But highly unlikely that you would get a similar date and time.  Once in the site, it took almost 5 minutes to get the appointment, fill the personal data, and answer the standard COVID disclaimer questions (have you been sick, any allergies, medicare insurance etc.).  The fact that Martin had 6 only Publix sites did not help.  Martin was fully booked by 6:45.  Palm Beach was 7:15 and Brevard (near Melbourne) was 7:30.  Panhandle counties (few people) had vaccines until after 8am.

 

This week St. Lucie opens it vaccine appointments for second shots of Pfizer.  Will see how civilized it will be, as we supposed to get an invite.

Paul;

 

My brother and his wife did the drive through in Titusville. He told me that upon receiving the shot they were given a printout with their reservation date and time for the next shot. No effort required.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, pinotlover said:

Paul;

 

My brother and his wife did the drive through in Titusville. He told me that upon receiving the shot they were given a printout with their reservation date and time for the next shot. No effort required.

We'll be contacted via email from the hospital's portal. Even had an email by the time we got home confirming that. Forgot to mention that after the shots we had an area to park for 15 minutes in case of any bad reactions. So very well organized. PLUS we got a sticker 🙂 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, clo said:

So very well organized. PLUS we got a sticker 🙂 

I’m hoping for a lollipop or being taken to get an ice cream cone! ☺️

Edited by pinotlover
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, GeorgesGal said:

Just yesterday (I think it was) our Governor here in Florida has sent word restricting vaccine to Florida residents and those snow birds who spend the season here.  No more to those here on a quick vacation.  A wise move, as far as I'm concerned.  Now I wish he would also limit these initial vaccines to those of us over 75, giving us perhaps a ten-fold better chance of being closer to the first in line.  There are far more  65 to 75 year olds here than there are 75 and over.

The Publix in Palm City is giving shots.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Aloha 1 said:

The Publix in Palm City is giving shots.

It's really tough trying to log in to get an appointment.  All you get is "be patient and keep trying."  Part of the problem is Publix has only one web site for the entire state.  So, just because it's a local Publix, you're competing against every other Floridian to get into the site to make the appointment.  It will all work out in a while, the sky hasn't fallen yet...

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, pinotlover said:

I’m hoping for a lollipop or being taken to get an ice cream cone! ☺️

I was also but the sticker is nice. Honestly? People are reacting so positively when they see it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for this info, PaulMCO.  Daniel A had sent me an e-mail this morning with your information.  I really appreciate it and will be using your method on the 27th.  

I think I might already have mentioned it, but I'm in Palm City, so we are all neighbors!

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, GeorgesGal said:

Thanks for this info, PaulMCO.  Daniel A had sent me an e-mail this morning with your information.  I really appreciate it and will be using your method on the 27th.  

I think I might already have mentioned it, but I'm in Palm City, so we are all neighbors!

Yes neighbor -- try it this Wednesday.  I got an appointment for my 72 year old computer illiterate neighbor/friend.  They (at Publix) also schedule you for the second one at same time.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, I've already set my alarm.  Do you think that the earlier you log on to their site, the earlier you will be put on the queue, or does the queue just start when they open the site?

Also, I don't think you answered my other question as to whether I need two separate computers, thus separate browsers, or can I open two separate Publix websites on the one computer?

Donna

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, GeorgesGal said:

Yes, I've already set my alarm.  Do you think that the earlier you log on to their site, the earlier you will be put on the queue, or does the queue just start when they open the site?

Also, I don't think you answered my other question as to whether I need two separate computers, thus separate browsers, or can I open two separate Publix websites on the one computer?

Donna

should not make a difference, but I would start refreshing your browser 5 minutes fefore opening.  As I posted previously they opened the site up at 2 minutes to 6.

 

You also might try Indian County they start at 0930h today.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Paul, you're the best!  Thanks once more for your help; I guess I'll have to set my alarm a bit earlier than I was planning!  Just wish I'd be able to go back to sleep after finishing this exercise but I know that's a lost cause!

Donna

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well today I looked at some stats and news articles. It seems Missouri is 49 out of 50 states for the % of our population being vaccinated. On top of that the county I live in is right at the bottom % of residents getting vaccinated. There are a couple of counties lower, but not by much. 

 

Puerto Rico is doing better than Missouri. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, ORV said:

Puerto Rico is doing better than Missouri. 

That is good to hear

 A friend's daughter went to PR last Jan  for a marathon  she ended up staying there  because of Covid  & getting a flight home to Canada

 She is still in PR  so maybe she will get her shots there  😉

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, LHT28 said:

That is good to hear

 A friend's daughter went to PR last Jan  for a marathon  she ended up staying there  because of Covid  & getting a flight home to Canada

 She is still in PR  so maybe she will get her shots there  😉

 

Well I don't think it's so good. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

At least you are getting the vaccine

They are saying maybe August for us

But, But Trudeau is such a great Socialist. I’d expect the world class universal Canadian health care system to have everyone vaccinated within a few months. Your health care system is what many US citizens aspire to here.

 

Surely, you jest! 😂

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with Barbara Muckermann, CMO Silversea Cruises
      • ICYM Our Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Explore the Remote World with Hurtigruten!
      • Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team: New Ship Ultramarine
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...