Not trying to incite, but how long before cruising will return to normal? Do you think after mass inoculation for the Asian Flu has occurred ,the industry will do away with the mask requirements?  We really love cruises and have been on 11 , but will never go on a cruse and have to wear one. Just want thoughts on the future of cruising.

Thanks for your opinions.

Not in the short term as it is believed that those who are inoculated can still carry and spread COVID-19. The mask protects those around you should you have the virus and may be a requirement for the foreseeable future.  

There are about fifty gazillion threads discussing masks, protocols and when future cruises will occur.  Take some time to read through the forum and the cruise line forums.

Or..

Quick answer:  Everything is just speculation right now, people can only guess when cruising will return to "normal" and what the exact protocols will be.

Edited by ColeThornton
10 minutes ago, ColeThornton said:

There are about fifty gazillion threads discussing masks, protocols and when future cruises will occur.  Take some time to read through the forum and the cruise line forums.

Or..

Quick answer:  Everything is just speculation right now, people can only guess when cruising will return to "normal" and what the exact protocols will be.

Thank you!! Nobody knows. Its all speculation at this point. And there is tons of speculation, and virtually no known facts.

18 minutes ago, ColeThornton said:

Or..

I have not seen any thread with the specific question about mask wearing the op asked but I might have missed it.

I was hoping that we should cruise this summer but doubt that mandatory maskwearing will be gone in time so we will probably cancel the cruise and loose the almost $1500 we have already paid. 

2 hours ago, Colatech said:

Not trying to incite, but how long before cruising will return to normal? Do you think after mass inoculation for the Asian Flu has occurred ,the industry will do away with the mask requirements?  We really love cruises and have been on 11 , but will never go on a cruse and have to wear one. Just want thoughts on the future of cruising.

“Not trying to incite”? And then you call Covid 19 the “Asian Flu”? 
Peruse the most recent threads here on CC and you’ll find numerous discussions regarding masks and/or the restart of cruising predictions. 
in any case, if you’re not willing to wear a mask well beyond the time you get vaccinated , you can forget cruising for at least 2021 (and probably much of 2022).

leading epidemiologists like Monica Gandhi at UC San Francisco and Gregory Poland at the Mayo Clinic (as well as Anthony Fauci of the NIH) all caution against relying too heavily on the vaccine, noting that (as Poland states): “masks, distancing and hand-washing will probably turn out to be as or more effective than vaccines. What I suspect may happen is that vaccines will turn out to be moderately effective with an unknown durability of protection, meaning even after you get your vaccine, you’re going to have to wear a mask.”

Edited by Flatbush Flyer
39 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Peruse the most recent threads here on CC and you’ll find numerous discussions regarding masks and/or the restart of cruising predictions. 
in any case, if you’re not willing to wear a mask well beyond the time you get vaccinated , you can forget cruising for at least 2021 (and probably much of 2022).

leading epidemiologists like Monica Gandhi at UC San Francisco and Gregory Poland at the Mayo Clinic (as well as Anthony Fauci of the NIH) all caution against relying too heavily on the vaccine, noting that (as Poland states): “masks, distancing and hand-washing will probably turn out to be as or more effective than vaccines. What I suspect may happen is that vaccines will turn out to be moderately effective with an unknown durability of protection, meaning even after you get your vaccine, you’re going to have to wear a mask.”

Agree.  We have received our first does of the Pfizer vaccine and waiting for the second.  Booked Transatlantics east and west bound for 2022 in anticipation of a return to cruise travel.

Sounds like OP is not a mask wearer.  Masks protect both the wearer and those in the wearer's vicinity.  If we need to wear masks in public areas and on tours, we most definitely will.  Personal and public health issues.  Wear and use PPE.  Stay safe!

1 hour ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Thank you. 

1 hour ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

Sounds like OP is not a mask wearer.  Masks protect both the wearer and those in the wearer's vicinity.  If we need to wear masks in public areas and on tours, we most definitely will.  Personal and public health issues.  Wear and use PPE.  Stay safe!

It's also possible that the OP is a maskwearer but won't enjoy a cruise if maskwearing is mandatory.

If masks are mandatory everyone shall wear a mask but some people might prefer not to cruise if they have to wear a mask.

4 minutes ago, sverigecruiser said:

If masks are mandatory everyone shall wear a mask but some people might prefer not to cruise if they have to wear a mask.

I will make an assumption here that they don't REALLY want to cruise all that much. When outside our house and car it's just what it is. And if I want to be outside my house then that's how it must be.

2 minutes ago, clo said:

I will make an assumption here that they don't REALLY want to cruise all that much. When outside our house and car it's just what it is. And if I want to be outside my house then that's how it must be.

I really want to cruise but not enough to do it if I have to wear a mask. I don't want to spend money on something I won't enjoy.

4 hours ago, Colatech said:

My Magic 8 Ball says, cannot predict now". 🤣🎱

27 minutes ago, sverigecruiser said:

I really want to cruise but not enough to do it if I have to wear a mask. I don't want to spend money on something I won't enjoy.

And you are of course entitled to that opinion. But beware there is a fairly large probability that mask wearing on cruises will be the reality for some time once they start up again. The few cruises not in the US that have gone so far seem to all require mask wearing. Actually there was one that did not until Covid showed up on the ship.

I have a Doctor Plague mask. One worn during pandemics over a century ago. It covers my nose and mouth like a face mask does. It also covers and protects my eyes like face shields do.

I wear this mask in my local Walmart in the USA. I'll pack this in my carryon for my next cruise if they insist on face masks

120970628_10223531592541669_7974735605783823823_o.jpg

2 hours ago, clo said:

CC postings show me that there is currently a wide spectrum of cruise enthusiasm - based not so much on how much they enjoy cruising but rather on their level of concern regarding possible infection and concern regarding the necessary requirements and the potential decrease in the quality of the experience and impact on the joy of cruising.

My wife and I have been on two weekend retreats in the last three months:

Our first was two nights at the Biltmore Estate in Asheville, NC.  Wearing masks was not a major downer since we have grown used to wearing them at grocery stores, etc.; but although we did enjoy our time there, the enjoyment was probably only about 75% of that of previous visits due to the changes required by Covid prevention - no classic buffet breakfast (causing long delays in ordering and receiving our food when ordering off the menu - probably due to insufficient staff), no courtesy transportation around the estate and closure of several venues.

Our second was three nights in Charleston, SC over Thanksgiving. Again, we enjoyed the experience but at about an 80% level compared to previous visits due to the closure of several venues and to one scary restaurant experience with less than appropriate distancing and poor mask usage (e.g. waiter with mask over mouth but not over nose.)

Covid protection protocols on cruises - even after much of the world's population has received vaccinations - is still very uncertain.  And therefor the impact on the cruise experience is also very uncertain.  I love cruising, but until I am certain that my level of enjoyment will be at least 90% of my past experiences, I am not willing to spend thousands of dollars on a less pleasurable experience.  That's why we recently decided to change our July 2021 Alaskan cruise to July 2022.

But I do REALLY want to cruise.

Edited by NantahalaCruiser
2 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

Agree. Been on 18-19 cruises so yes, we really do enjoy, and want to cruise again. However, just cancelled my second one because of this. 

2 hours ago, ontheweb said:

And you are of course entitled to that opinion. But beware there is a fairly large probability that mask wearing on cruises will be the reality for some time once they start up again. The few cruises not in the US that have gone so far seem to all require mask wearing. Actually there was one that did not until Covid showed up on the ship.

It's okay for me to wait. I can do other things until I can cruise without wearing a mask. This is not a problem for me. 

8 hours ago, Colatech said:

Not trying to incite, but how long before cruising will return to normal? Do you think after mass inoculation for the Asian Flu has occurred ,the industry will do away with the mask requirements? 

Oh brother...🤦🏻‍♂️

Just a guess, but we will have at least 100 days of mask requirements, as well as other long overdue and much needed measures, beginning on January 20th or shortly thereafter! 😀

Understanding that the mask is not to protect yourself, but to protect your fellow cruisers , you’re doing the right thing by not cruising if you won’t wear a mask. For that humble and selfless act of kindness, I thank you! 

Edited by Tapi
1 hour ago, Tapi said:

Oh brother...🤦🏻‍♂️

... 😀

Understanding that the mask is not to protect yourself, but to protect your fellow cruisers...

Please do not spread this sort of misinformation:  wearing a mask DOES protect you — in two ways.

1) If everyone wears a mask — and you are a necessary part of “everyone” - transmission of COVID will be limited.  

LIMITING TRANSMISSION OF COVID PROTECTS YOU.

2) While it is known that masks do not “protect” the wearer,  it is obvious that tight fabric or woven paper will limit to some extent your ability to transmit some virus.  It is absurd to think that such a mask can succeed in limiting outgoing virus while being utterly useless on limiting incoming virus — really?? one way filtration?  Of course, only scientifically designed medical grade masks can be assumed to prevent any virus from reaching you -   but ANY limitation of incoming virus, no matter how slight, does help you.

WEARING MASKS DO HELP PROTECT YOU - perhaps just a very little, but certainly some.

Every time someone says that wearing masks only helps others and does not help you, the selfish schlubs who will only do something if it directly helps them will find reason to not wear a mask.

6 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

While it is known that masks do not “protect” the wearer,  it is obvious that tight fabric or woven paper will limit to some extent your ability to transmit some virus.  

When I made my previous comment, I did so based on the same information that you wrote above.

I’ve been on “team mask” since the pandemic started and scientists explained why their use was so important. I have zero issues wearing one to cruise again. It’s silly not to. 

23 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Masks may just be a necessity for years after the virus is totally eliminated.

Seriously doubt the virus will ever be totally eliminated. That is virtually impossible. It can be cut to a level that is rarely threatening, particularly if most are vaccinated, and new outbreaks are quickly isolated and contained.