Alaska cruises from Vancover

Roaming Rover

2 hours ago, KirkNC said:

I believe Canada will remain closed to cruise ships until 2022, no facts to support it, just an opinion.

I believe you are right.  Also, it’s doubtful that the Canada will be welcoming US residents into Canada for quite some time.  

• Like 4

On 1/19/2021 at 12:52 PM, Lady Arwen said:

I believe you are right.  Also, it’s doubtful that the Canada will be welcoming US residents into Canada for quite some time.  

This is the biggest hurdle that I see. Our cases keep exploding and deaths are skyrocketing 

13 hours ago, Farts said:

This is the biggest hurdle that I see. Our cases keep exploding and deaths are skyrocketing 

I wouldn't say that, as say we do seem to be making some headway in the right direction now, BUT, it's a still LONG way to go and would say no chance for June. By fall things might be looking much better but likely too fragile to risk opening cruise ports. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, rodndonna said:

I wouldn't say that, as say we do seem to be making some headway in the right direction now, BUT, it's a still LONG way to go and would say no chance for June. By fall things might be looking much better but likely too fragile to risk opening cruise ports. 

4000 deaths per day is not headway. My hospital is packed and I have hospice talks and comfort care talks with families way too often

• Like 3

On 1/19/2021 at 8:07 AM, KirkNC said:

I believe Canada will remain closed to cruise ships until 2022, no facts to support it, just an opinion.

As a Vancouverite, I believe you are right.  There is no desire to open the border to US visitors now or in the near future.  The virus has to be absolutely contained and all vaccinated first - and Canada is very slow with the vaccinations.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Farts said:

4000 deaths per day is not headway. My hospital is packed and I have hospice talks and comfort care talks with families way too often

First let me thank you for your work. I can't  being to imagine how difficult this has been for folks working in your position and I would like to apologize if my comment seemed dismissive of the status we are in.

I was speaking to the numbers and trend in Canada. Our 7 day average has been declining since Jan 10 which offers a 'glimmer' of hope for us as it is the first down trend since late summer.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, rodndonna said:

First let me thank you for your work. I can't  being to imagine how difficult this has been for folks working in your position and I would like to apologize if my comment seemed dismissive of the status we are in.

I was speaking to the numbers and trend in Canada. Our 7 day average has been declining since Jan 10 which offers a 'glimmer' of hope for us as it is the first down trend since late summer.

So sorry. It's classic that we americans think we are the center of the universe. lol

Thank you for your kind words. This pandemic has been a drain on everybody. 

On 1/19/2021 at 8:07 AM, KirkNC said:

I wouldn’t expect Canada to open to cruise ships before the vaccine has been distributed to all those who want it. They hope to accomplish this by September, but are already behind schedule. Treat it like a lotto ticket: anything could happen, but don’t bet the rent money on it.

• Like 3

Let's together hope that both us in the United States and our friendly neighbors to the North- in Canada both get access to vaccinee sooner rather than later. With vaccine rolling out and the number of folks already infected (hopefully somewhat immune naturally) I hope that we will start to see small then rapid decline in infection rates and more importantly deaths.  In the end I think it's all about deaths.  

Even if the cruise lines require vaccination - I am not sure that would be enough to open Canada to visitors or vice versa.  No way to predict or even plan!

Canadian ports are critical to Alaska Cruises unless the Congress grants a waiver, which will likely not happen.  I wonder if the land tours that fun Fairbanks to Anchorage or the other way can still run using just buses trains, and hotels/lodges.  In those cases Would hope they also require vaccination or at least a negative test.  Trains and buses are probably worse than planes.....

Let's all hope that Spring brings much needed relief!!!

25 minutes ago, CNSJ said:

Canadian ports are critical to Alaska Cruises unless the Congress grants a waiver, which will likely not happen.  

The Biden Administration said yesterday they "fully support" the Jones Act. I know, I know, the Jones Act is not the PVSA, but they are related, and I took the statement as a general statement. Plus, the Biden Administration is strengthening travel restrictions at this point, not weakening them.

On 1/19/2021 at 4:50 AM, Roaming Rover said:

Anybody got any info if the inside passage cruises  will go ahead in June 2021 ???

My May Alaska cruise on another cruise line was canceled last week.  They're not even sending the ship to the region any more.  I'd bet on your June HAL cruise not occurring either.  I'm also betting there won't be an Alaska season from any line except maybe the US flagged lines.  

• Like 1

A couple of weeks ago, an article in the paper said we had 308 bookings for cruise ships to visit this summer (here in Victoria).  A few days ago, that number was reduced to 287, so I think the cruise lines themselves are doing the cancelling.  We are way behind on vaccinations, so I wouldn't blame it all on numbers in the US...

I just listened to a webinar with 2 Holland America Alaska based employees and they seem to think the cruises will sail.  I am waiting until 2022 for my next trip to Alaska.  If you write me at dallashome at g mail.com I will forward you the link to the recording of the webinar when I receive it.

On 1/25/2021 at 5:43 AM, Farts said:

There are not 4000 deaths per day in the US.

The highest 7 day average is around 3350. We are at 3150 right now. High I know but with new cases in a hard downfall deaths will be dropping sharply.

Hospitalization rates are dropping in all but a few states.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Himself said:

If the Feds would give s one yesr reprieve on thr Jones Act HAL could do a few cruises out of Seattle--if that port is open.

You should know - it's the PVSA, not the Jones Act.

And the only waivers allowed on the PVSA are for national defense.  From the PVSA:

The PVSA can only be waived in the interest of national defense, pursuant to 46 U.S.C. § 501. Under 46 U.S.C. § 501(a), the Secretary of Defense may request the Secretary of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) to waive the PVSA to the extent the Secretary of Defense considers such a waiver necessary in the interest of national defense. In this instance, CBP, pursuant to a delegation of authority from the Secretary of DHS shall grant the waiver. For all other waiver requests, the Secretary of DHS is authorized to grant the waiver request if the Secretary of DHS considers it necessary in the interest of national defense (46 U.S.C. § 501(b)). It should be noted that in this latter instance, P.L. 110-417, section 3510, (122 Stat. 4356, enacted on October 14, 2008), amended § 501(b), to require that the Maritime Administrator be consulted regarding the non-availability of qualified United States flag capacity to meet national defense requirements, before the Secretary of DHS grants the waiver request.

• Like 1

My understanding is this is a virus not a Canadian issue.  The same discussion took place in the spring. My recollection was Alaska was no keener on cruise ships than BC was. I think it is somewhat inaccurate to paint Canada as the sole obstacle to Alaska cruises. In fact, we may be the least of the obstacles.

• Like 7