1 hour ago, Gettingwarmer said:

Thanks for the link.  Like those who have commented on the Azamara Boards, I do not see how someone with no cruise experience could possibly make more of a go of Azamara, than Royal Caribbean with their vast experience of cruise line operation, along with presumably having the ability to combine contracts used in the process, like crew, flights, port costs and excursions etc. to maximum financial benefit.  The future does not seem rosy.

It also perhaps makes us all remember the business losses that have happened for cruise companies over the last year and the future losses that cannot be avoided.  Must admit I am not the sort of person to feel sorry for the larger companies, but of course they exist to make a profit, so there will be changes as we come out of this.  Whilst it would seem likely that Carnival and P&O will weather the storm and come out the other end, that end point is not going to be the same as that which existed pre COVID.

I am glad we were able to sail on Pursuit a couple of years ago, since she was our first cruise ship in 2006 as Minerva II.  We sailed from Madeira to Barbados, spending a full two weeks up the Amazon en route (our most memorable holiday ever).  Cruising is looking a lot different now with some companies already gone and others very different.  We are learning to accept that cruising may not be the way forward for us in the future, at least not for anything like as high a proportion of our holidays as it has been.  We are looking forward a lot to our one week booked on Iona next June/July (if it goes ahead), even if there are big COVID restrictions in place, partly because the ship is likely to have far less than full passenger levels on board, but beyond that, we will have to see.  Not a lot of alternatives now, though we would be prepared to splash out on a more expensive cruise line for some holidays.

9 minutes ago, Gettingwarmer said:

It seems there will be very large commercial ships and small expensive upmarket ships. The likes of Aurora and Arcadia, being in the middle, are on the way out. Sad. 

Yes sadly.  We are hoping Fred will survive and in some way fill that middle ground with the new"HAL" ships which are a bit smaller than Aurora and Arcadia.  Can't help feeling a bit nervous as to whether he will come out of this, if things do not improve soon, given the board of his parent company, Bonheur, were reported as not being great fans of the cruise line a few years ago since it "did not make enough money".  The cruise line is a very small part of the overall business, but was basically allowed to continue as it was argued that it was good for PR purposes.  If Fred does continue, he will need to keep his prices up a bit and still get enough customers to fill his ships, though may just do so as he does seem to be filling a niche and getting interest from previous HAL customers as well as others.

So again could be a quite  different company in some ways, but will need to retain current standards IMO.  Braemar now out of action until spring 2022, so I am not convinced she will survive as a fleet member that long, though with her size and shallow draught, she can get into a lot more ports and scenic cruising venues not accessible by the other ships.  All a waiting game.

The majority of our cruises have been on Azamara, it has been a great line particularly in it's earlier years.

I have not been such a fan in recent times since price increases have made it not such good value.

I hope that it survives if only for the sake of its wonderful staff.

Some of them have been with the line since it started in 2007 and have been like family to us, I wish them well.

Edited by Bloodaxe

Once RCI bought Silverseas this was inevitable. It left the brand with little identity.

The only other option was to merge with Celebrity but the ships were too small for many of the signature offerings.

1 hour ago, molecrochip said:

Once RCI bought Silverseas this was inevitable. It left the brand with little identity.

The only other option was to merge with Celebrity but the ships were too small for many of the signature offerings.

Since Azamara were initially part of Celebrity remerging them was highly unlikely.

But I do think it strange that any newcomer to the cruise industry would want to start now when things are still uncertain.

53 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Since Azamara were initially part of Celebrity remerging them was highly unlikely.

But I do think it strange that any newcomer to the cruise industry would want to start now when things are still uncertain

Azamara was only very briefly part of Celebrity when RCI brought the 2 ships and it was created before the ships sailed.

We booked our first cruise with them on Celebrity Journey in 2007 but by the time we sailed it was Azamara.

I agree the future for them and any cruise line is very uncertain at this time.

When I heard that Pacific Princess, one of the "R" ships, was being sold, I thought she would be going to Azamara like the others, but with new buyers for Az, who knows what will happen.