Faster to the Fun

7 hours ago, beachbum53 said:

I know that FTTF is a money maker for Carnival. But once cruising does finally start back up, I wonder if Carnival will temporarily suspend it in an effort to give housekeeping (i.e. cabin stewards) time to do whatever additional sanitizing is required before embarkation begins. It could be reintroduced at a later date, after certain protocols would no longer be needed. 

They could increase the number of stewards back to the levels they had a few years ago. Less cabins for each one to turn over would mean they could spend more time on the ones they have. I guess the only downside would be more crew = bigger risk of possible spread if anyone's infected.

After they reduced steward numbers, it didn't seem to impact cabin cleanliness that we could tell, but we definitely saw a decrease in attentiveness from our stewards. Before the change, they were always around, eager to be of service. After the change, we rarely saw them. Usually because they were busy with all their additional cabins. I wouldn't complain if they went back to the old way.

5 hours ago, BoozinCroozin said:

I was thinking of getting it, but it is not available on Mardi Gras and sold out for the Magic sailing we booked. The port news for Mardi Gras is that they claim 15 minutes from car to ship for all passengers. We will have to see if that holds true. For the Magic, if it were available, I would get it. But, it is sold out. 

Keep checking for your Magic cruise, and check OFTEN. If someone who has FTTF cancels, theirs becomes available. That's why it's important to check often, because it's usually only one or two that pop up and it takes some luck to catch them. I've had the best luck early in the morning, before sunrise, but I would check all hours of the day & night. Get up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom, check it.

4 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

Please change the font you are using.  I am on an iPad and it appears as a fine cursive script.  Pale and difficult to read.  I think it is this way on most mobile devices.  EM

On a computer, it's not cursive, is of equal darkness to the default font, and is easy to read. I did look at it on my phone and can see what you're talking about, but I'm not going to make a big deal about it. The only reason I'm saying something this time is because this is the second time you've told someone to change their font in just over a week. That other one was very legible on a computer, too. It's likely that these people are using computers and have no idea, since it looks completely different for some reason. The forum gives users the ability to change fonts and it's not our place to tell someone to conform to the preferences of one person, or even a few people.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, beachbum53 said:

It's already been announced by John Heald (and Carnival) that there will be no FTTF for the first six months on the Mardi Gras. So, if Mardi Gras' inaugural sailing date keeps getting pushed back, and ends up being in June or July, FTTF may not be available in Dec. '21. We'll just have to wait and see what happens. 

Yep, this is true of all new ships. They don't sell FTTF for their first few months, at least. More than likely because a lot more Diamonds & Platinums like to cruise on a new ship when it first sets sail, so FTTF would create way too many priority passengers to handle efficiently.

1 hour ago, sarmat1 said:

Actually it does (or used to).  Years back, we booked later than usual and our preferred Early Dining was waitlisted.  Interestingly enough FTTF was available so we got it.  I called to ask about the chances that we might get off the waitlist for Early Dining and the rep said "You have FTTF.  Once the system rolls over overnight, it will automatically take you off the waitlist and give you your preferred dining time."  I was skeptical but sure enough the next day our dining changed from waitlisted to confirmed.  Was it FTTF?  Who knows, but what the rep said happened, so I'll say yes.  Whether this still applies in the COVID/Post-COVID cruising era is anybody's guess.

This is still one of the perks of FTTF. It doesn't have any benefits to being seated in the MDR once you're on the ship, but does give you priority if you're waitlisted for your preferred dining time before the cruise. Except it doesn't happen overnight anymore. We were waitlisted for our Dec. 2019 cruise, had FTTF, and finally got switched to our preferred dining 2-3 months before sail date.

On 1/20/2021 at 11:32 PM, Organized Chaos said:

It's one of those things that truly is up to you. Look at all the benefits and decide which ones you know you'll take advantage of, then weigh those against the cost.

Yeah, it's true that people with early Arrival Appointments will get onboard not long after FTTF, but there's more benefits than just early boarding. Even though a relatively small group will get on right after FTTF, we still find early boarding very advantageous. We can get onboard, drop our bags in our cabin, and get up to Lido for lunch with hardly any lines. Not have to worry about finding a table, plenty to choose from. Eat lunch and be on our way by the time the big crowds get there.

For us, early boarding, immediate access to cabins, and the priority line at Guest Services make it worth it.

That's exactly why I always get it when it's available, just getting on early and not having my cabin ready is not an option for me.

I have previously purchased FTTF in the past, but was unable to on my last cruise as we booked last minute. I was worried about having to wait in line to board, but we arrived at the port (Port Everglades) about 30min before our boarding window, and was on the ship within 25 minutes. We brought smaller carry-ons to avoid having to lug around too much before we could get to our rooms.

I would say that it depends on if you plan to use the priority guest services line or want priority tenders. Our only tender port was Half Moon Cay, so we just took our time in the morning before tendering out. We still got nice chairs on the beach.

In summary, it would've been a waste of money in our last cruise, but I can see situations where it would be worth it.

On 1/21/2021 at 3:39 PM, Organized Chaos said:

The forum gives users the ability to change fonts and it's not our place to tell someone to conform to the preferences of one person, or even a few people.

No-one told anyone - it was requested.  "Please change...".

And I think it is a fair request.  Frankly, I'm surprised the forum software supports fonts that render poorly in common devices.  On my Android phone (Samsung Galaxy 10) it renders as a cursive type script too, and is much harder to read than the default.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

No-one told anyone - it was requested.  "Please change...".

And I think it is a fair request.  Frankly, I'm surprised the forum software supports fonts that render poorly in common devices.  On my Android phone (Samsung Galaxy 10) it renders as a cursive type script too, and is much harder to read than the default.

Making a request would've been to ask the person, but she wasn't asking. Telling someone to do something politely isn't much different. It could've been handled better. So I stand behind my comment in that I don't think it's our place to tell others to change something like that for the sake of one person. I say one person because no one else had a big enough problem with it to say anything. My suggestion would be to go to the Forum Assistance section and see if there's anything CC can do about it on their end.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Organized Chaos said:

Making a request would've been to ask the person, but she wasn't asking. Telling someone to do something politely isn't much different. It could've been handled better. So I stand behind my comment in that I don't think it's our place to tell others to change something like that for the sake of one person. I say one person because no one else had a big enough problem with it to say anything. My suggestion would be to go to the Forum Assistance section and see if there's anything CC can do about it on their end.

I agree.  I thought telling someone to change their font was rude too.  I have no problem reading the font, but I am using a computer.  Suggesting that someone may want to consider changing the font would have been polite, but telling someone to please change their font when it is that person's own device that it the problem is rude.

Edited by TNcruising02
  • Like 1

I bought it once. Never again. For me, it is the biggest waste of money on the ship. Boarding is already relatively painless. I guess the best value is if you want to get on the ship asap and into your room. I understand the desire to get on the ship as soon as you can, and be done with the traveling portion. However, I don't find the reality to match up. The ship is chaotic during that time. So is it worth $70-$100 to sit in your room, or to walk around during the chaos? Not for me. We almost always are staying in a hotel before our cruise. Enjoying that port is an important part of the cruise vacation! With my Hilton Diamond, I am usually able to checkout around 1pm. It is so nice to just wake up, eat, enjoy the city/pool/beach one last time, relax, all on my own time, then head to ship around 1 and normally walk right into my room. The time I bought FTTF, I thought it would save me so much time with tenders. There was no wait. There was a HUGE wait coming back. You guessed it, FTTF did nothing. Saving me time once or twice in a guest services is not cash worthy either. Especially once you understand when to go.

I've always said, I think Carnival could do so much more with FTTF. With the way it stands now, it really doesn't cost them any time or effort. It is pure profit. So I doubt they'll change it. Even the priority room access is nothing. Just moving those rooms to the front of the list for the housekeeping team. If it had real "priority benefits" like preferred seating in a show/lounge/club/pool etc, priority food line access, priority access for ports of call, etc I would buy it and pay 2 or more times the price. That is actual priority and saving me time from actual lines, while adding to the experience. I think they could sell that for 3x more easily.

1 hour ago, Joebucks said:

I bought it once. Never again. For me, it is the biggest waste of money on the ship. Boarding is already relatively painless. I guess the best value is if you want to get on the ship asap and into your room. I understand the desire to get on the ship as soon as you can, and be done with the traveling portion. However, I don't find the reality to match up. The ship is chaotic during that time. So is it worth $70-$100 to sit in your room, or to walk around during the chaos? Not for me. We almost always are staying in a hotel before our cruise. Enjoying that port is an important part of the cruise vacation! With my Hilton Diamond, I am usually able to checkout around 1pm. It is so nice to just wake up, eat, enjoy the city/pool/beach one last time, relax, all on my own time, then head to ship around 1 and normally walk right into my room. The time I bought FTTF, I thought it would save me so much time with tenders. There was no wait. There was a HUGE wait coming back. You guessed it, FTTF did nothing. Saving me time once or twice in a guest services is not cash worthy either. Especially once you understand when to go.

I've always said, I think Carnival could do so much more with FTTF. With the way it stands now, it really doesn't cost them any time or effort. It is pure profit. So I doubt they'll change it. Even the priority room access is nothing. Just moving those rooms to the front of the list for the housekeeping team. If it had real "priority benefits" like preferred seating in a show/lounge/club/pool etc, priority food line access, priority access for ports of call, etc I would buy it and pay 2 or more times the price. That is actual priority and saving me time from actual lines, while adding to the experience. I think they could sell that for 3x more easily.

Excellent thoughts but since it sells out so quickly I would presume that they are making their revenue target with it and are taking an "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" attitude. If sales started to substantially lag over a long period of time then they might consider offering more but I wouldn't expect to see any changes right now.