Here's what is being said in Cozumel about cruises returning

nascarcruiser

We flew into Cozumel on January 4th and leave on the 23rd.  It is very strange to see no cruise ships here. There are maybe 25% of the normal tourist population.  Our hotel is maybe at 15% capacity.  Some are still closed or will be closing again.  The cab drivers are getting very fares. Most averaging 1 or 2 a day.  Speaking with workers at several locations and management at the hotel,  they feel strongly based on the current conditions in the world cruising will not restart here until November at the earliest but more like 2022.  One bit of good news, we are told there currently are no cases of Covid19 on the island 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, nascarcruiser said:

We flew into Cozumel on January 4th and leave on the 23rd.  It is very strange to see no cruise ships here. There are maybe 25% of the normal tourist population.  Our hotel is maybe at 15% capacity.  Some are still closed or will be closing again.  The cab drivers are getting very fares. Most averaging 1 or 2 a day.  Speaking with workers at several locations and management at the hotel,  they feel strongly based on the current conditions in the world cruising will not restart here until November at the earliest but more like 2022.  One bit of good news, we are told there currently are no cases of Covid19 on the island 

Source please?  Cab drivers and hotel clerks aren't credible sources of information.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, nascarcruiser said:

Until you read something official from Mexico's Department of Travel and Tourism, I would advise disregarding any hearsay from hotel employees, taxi drivers, or anyone else in casual conversation.

Edited by beachbum53
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, my kids mama said:

You may have to get there by plane this year. If you do though, you will be required to have a negative covid test within 72 hours of flying back home.  Even if you are vaccinated.  That is what I am going to do.  I just can't take it anymore.  I need to see the water. 

In case someone wants the source of what I said the new covid test rule, here it is. 

CDC Expands Negative COVID-19 Test Requirement to All Air Passengers Entering the United States

Media Statement

For Immediate Release: Tuesday, January 12, 2021
(404) 639-3286

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is expanding the requirement for a negative COVID-19 test to all air passengers entering the United States.  Testing before and after travel is a critical layer to slow the introduction and spread of COVID-19. This strategy is consistent with the current phase of the pandemic and more efficiently protects the health of Americans.

Variants of the SARS-CoV-2 virus continue to emerge in countries around the world, and there is evidence of increased transmissibility of some of these variants.  With the US already in surge status, the testing requirement for air passengers will help slow the spread of the virus as we work to vaccinate the American public.

Before departure to the United States, a required test, combined with the CDC recommendations to get tested again 3-5 days after arrival and stay home for 7 days post-travel, will help slow the spread of COVID-19 within US communities from travel-related infections. Pre-departure testing with results known and acted upon before travel begins will help identify infected travelers before they board airplanes.

Air passengers are required to get a viral test (a test for current infection) within the 3 days before their flight to the U.S. departs, and provide written documentation of their laboratory test result (paper or electronic copy) to the airline or provide documentation of having recovered from COVID-19. Airlines must confirm the negative test result for all passengers or documentation of recovery before they board. If a passenger does not provide documentation of a negative test or recovery, or chooses not to take a test, the airline must deny boarding to the passenger.

“Testing does not eliminate all risk,” says CDC Director Robert R. Redfield, MD, “but when combined with a period of staying at home and everyday precautions like wearing masks and social distancing, it can make travel safer, healthier, and more responsible by reducing spread on planes, in airports, and at destinations.”

This order was signed by the CDC Director on January 12, 2021 and will become effective on January 26, 2021.

• Like 1

As the order cited above says, passengers must provide proof of a negative COVID test or documentation of recovery. Since the 2nd part applies to me, I thought it worth pointing that out. 🙂

35 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

As the order cited above says, passengers must provide proof of a negative COVID test or documentation of recovery. Since the 2nd part applies to me, I thought it worth pointing that out. 🙂

The documentation of recovery must include a positive test within the last 3 months, just FYI for anyone who plans/hopes to use that option rather than a negative test within 72 hours.

2 hours ago, my kids mama said:

You may have to get there by plane this year. If you do though, you will be required to have a negative covid test within 72 hours of flying back home.  Even if you are vaccinated.  That is what I am going to do.  I just can't take it anymore.  I need to see the water. 

I'm looking at buying a oceanfront condo. Just put in a offer, and planning hotels. Driving 2 days each way. I want the ocean myself. No covid test to drive to a beach. I was disappointed to see Marriott's hot buffet reviews say is a pack n go. Hmmm. That hot breakfast apparently not covid friendly. 

5 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

I was looking at a resort in Mexico that has arranged on site covid testing with 1 day turnaround and if you test positive, you get to stay two more weeks free!

A lot of resorts are doing that.  I head down there next weekend for some much needed beach time.

19 hours ago, beachbum53 said:

Until you read something official from Mexico's Department of Travel and Tourism, I would advise disregarding any hearsay from hotel employees, taxi drivers, or anyone else in casual conversation.

I agree with your statement but every day on here we see people making statements that say when cruising will resume, what the stipulations will be to cruise and all kinds of guessing.  Until Carnival makes the final decision, nobody knows for sure when it will happen.  At this point, I'm sure Carnival doesn't even know.                                    

17 hours ago, SummerXU said:

The documentation of recovery must include a positive test within the last 3 months, just FYI for anyone who plans/hopes to use that option rather than a negative test within 72 hours.

Yes, exactly. I have a positive test from Jan 11 so in theory I could use that for 3 months, i.e. until April 11 or thereabouts. That being said, I may not be going anywhere. The White House has announced the intention of making a quarantine required for all incoming passengers from outside the US, including US citizens returning home.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/presidential-actions/2021/01/21/executive-order-promoting-covid-19-safety-in-domestic-and-international-travel/?fbclid=IwAR0hom18S3idyUHvi-Lqe1tr9_AZdd8VVLnB5IEqU9DIX8NBRk5IfSCxa0M

23 hours ago, MsTabbyKats said:

Source please?  Cab drivers and hotel clerks aren't credible sources of information.

I'm just reporting what the locals here are saying.  Trustme they want tourism to be what it once was. The island is hurting economically.   Also at times, I have found more reliable information out from locals than news media or information put out by the government 

7 hours ago, MsTabbyKats said:

America.....4% of the world's population and 20% of the world's covid deaths.

I thank you....all you "special people" who absolutely must do non-essential travelling and visiting....for making that statistic possible.

Wow.  We are able to travel and are wearing masks and social distancing.  The US is noting ANY death ad covid related.  We have known people who have died of cancer, heart issues and auto accidents and all the death certificates read the cause of death is covid. If I feel travel is safe I'm not going to hide at home.  If it's my it's my time, its my time. My doctor said its safer in Cozumel than in the states thank you very much

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Would also like to point out NOWHERE says to stay at home and not travel. (Well, maybe California) No one wanting to is doing anything wrong.

I'm in northern Missouri, we have been going about life as usual since mid May. Attended 2 summer weddings with 100+ people (One was my daughter's) and no one got sick. Daughter flew on an airplane this fall to attend another wedding in Florida and stayed at a resort for 4 days.  Not sick. We've been shopping in Des Moines & Kansas City multiple times......dined inside restaurants since mid May......our kids are face to face in school since mid August .(and don't wear masks!) People attend the basketball games, etc.   Our current county covid count is 8. (As of yesterday, Feb 2).

Wash your hands. Don't stand close to people. Stay home if you are sick. Wear a mask.........its the best we can do and try to live a normal life. In the past 9 months I have not been sick nor have I made anyone else sick.

• 4 weeks later...

no testing coming in from USA.  Check CDC rules.  Im here now and its very nice.  We are at an AI that does covid testing before you leave.  We will get the results and upload to Verifly app.  They have just started vaccinating elderly on the island the last few days and apparently ran out of vaccines per rumor.  3 more weeks to get more (also per rumor).  Also fyi, you still have to get tested even with both doses of vaccine.  Im getting my covid test tomorrow and since Im fully vaccinated from home, Ill let you know how it goes.

On 2/27/2021 at 5:35 PM, jean87510 said:

no testing coming in from USA.  Check CDC rules.  Im here now and its very nice.  We are at an AI that does covid testing before you leave.  We will get the results and upload to Verifly app.  They have just started vaccinating elderly on the island the last few days and apparently ran out of vaccines per rumor.  3 more weeks to get more (also per rumor).  Also fyi, you still have to get tested even with both doses of vaccine.  Im getting my covid test tomorrow and since Im fully vaccinated from home, Ill let you know how it goes.

Looking at the website that c-leg provided, it reads as if you can't travel for non-essential travel stating "The restrictions are in place until at least March 21, 2021".  Is this not the case (sense you are there now). Just wondering. It's really hard to follow that website as to what is up to date information. 

5 minutes ago, mitsugirly said:

Looking at the website that c-leg provided, it reads as if you can't travel for non-essential travel stating "The restrictions are in place until at least March 21, 2021".  Is this not the case (sense you are there now). Just wondering. It's really hard to follow that website as to what is up to date information. 

6 minutes ago, mitsugirly said:

I am here now since the 25th. There currently is no test required before entering cozumel.  Just exiting.  The increase in cases is Mexico not Cozumel itself. 

10 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

I am here now since the 25th. There currently is no test required before entering cozumel.  Just exiting.  The increase in cases is Mexico not Cozumel itself. 

Thanks for the info. It just concerned me when I read that non-essential travel was forbidden and it stated you must prove that you are coming in to Mexico for essential travel. I freaked out there for a minute. 

Have you done anything interesting while you were there? Any suggestions? We've been there a lot of times and done a lot of beaches, but hoping to find new things. 😄