Tentatively Considering a European river cruise Sept 2022

lissie

Hi, yeah I'm over this not having any travel plans thing! 

We are 58/68 - well travelled but haven't been to Europe for many years.  We're normally independent travellers but my partner has health issues so we've fallen into cruising (just before the whole pandemic thing).  

We have a cruise booked San Francisco-Barcelona  finishing in Barcelona  end Aug 2022. 

Thinking to  spend some time in Europe afterwards  and are wondering about adding a European river cruise. We've been to quite a bit of Western Europe over the years - but never to Eastern Europe so we're considering a cruise to include  the Black Sea., Bucharest or even maybe Kiev. 

Budapest seems like a  place to start - and fairly easy to get to from Barcelona via train or flight - open to other suggestions  though? I'm seeing plenty of options as far as Bucharest - do any extend to the Black Sea? 

What do people recommend as extensions out of Bucharest? 

Long shot - anything that would take us far as Istanbul? We can (in normal times) -easily connect home to NZ from Istanbul via the Middle East and it knocks a welcome few hours off a long flight  compared to Western Europe 

In terms of cruise lines I'm leaning towards Viking as they have more departures than some  of the others. Also taking into account booking conditions. Our cruise to Barcelona is fully refundable up until Jan 22 - so I don't want anything that is going to be difficult to cancel. (And don't tell me to get travel insurance - my partner can never get insurance signed off by  his dr until about a month before travel). 

Hi @lissie.  Welcome to River Cruising!  Yes, definitely check out Viking for the Black Sea and some ports in the Ukraine.  Scenic is offering some cruises that include a stop in Istanbul but you're not on the ship for that portion of the tour.  Avalon includes an extension to Transylvania.  

I'm sure others will come along with other ideas.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Squawkman said:

We just booked Viking's "Kiev, Black Sea and Bucharest". Check it out: https://www.vikingrivercruises.com.au/cruise-destinations/ukraine/kiev-black-sea-and-bucharest/2022-bucharest-kiev/index.html

Viking offers an optional extension to Transylvania as well.

oooh that's attractive option - I like the mulitple  days in most ports - checking it out  now! 

I am looking at booking the Scenic Opal on Sept 25th for a River cruise Black Sea to North Sea 

Bucharest to Amsterdam (Sept 25 - Oct 17) then will hop over to Southampton (about an hour flight) and board the Silhoette for a Trans Atlantic home Southampton to Miami

However holding back on the river crusie booking till there is more stability with Covid and world travel

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BCHappyGal said:

I am looking at booking the Scenic Opal on Sept 25th for a River cruise Black Sea to North Sea 

Bucharest to Amsterdam (Sept 25 - Oct 17) then will hop over to Southampton (about an hour flight) and board the Silhoette for a Trans Atlantic home Southampton to Miami

However holding back on the river crusie booking till there is more stability with Covid and world travel

The cruise to Europe is booked - but changeable with minimal deposit until Jan 22 -  I'm planning but i won't book with anything more than a small deposit until much later this year.  

I'm not planning on any travel being possible for non residents in Europe this year. I've already seen comment that borders will be closed until  late summer. Even though as a  NZer I'd probably get in - a lot of cruises won't happen without US passengers filling  the spaces