Jump to content

Quarantine Now Required for All Arriving In the US After International Travel, Beginning January 26, 2021


Recommended Posts

Not true, only a proposal at this point. The current administration seems hell bent on making it very difficult for anyone to travel overseas. They don't want anyone traveling anywhere. Besides, it is unenforceable IF it happens.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, susiesan said:

Not true, only a proposal at this point. The current administration seems hell bent on making it very difficult for anyone to travel overseas. They don't want anyone traveling anywhere. Besides, it is unenforceable IF it happens.

Nope.

 

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/presidential-actions/2021/01/21/executive-order-promoting-covid-19-safety-in-domestic-and-international-travel/

 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/transportation/2021/01/22/coronavirus-biden-mask-mandate/

Link to post
Share on other sites

My understanding is it will come into effect shortly.  They are copying NZ, AU, and Canada.   Applies even if you have been vaccinated.   Just another cog in the return to cruising unless Americans can fill the ship.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Aloha 1 said:

I do not believe the President has the authority to order such a move. w

Why? The previous one did several things that affected travel.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Aloha 1 said:

I do not believe the President has the authority to order such a move. w

50 U.S.C. 1601-1651 codified into Federal Law on September 14, 1976 gives the President of the United States "Emergency Powers (EP)" (under the National Emergencies Act) which is specifically being referenced and used in this case.  Since its enactment the POTUS has enacted this act 30 times.   If you do a Lexis/Nexis search you will find it clearly articulated that the Federal Districts, Appeals and Supreme Courts have deferred to 50 U.S.C 1601-1651 that POTUS has such powers.  Only an act of Congress can overturn a EP declaration. If you are thinking of being a party to such action, you should discuss this at length with Attorneys with experience with the EP Act.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/22/2021 at 6:20 PM, clo said:

I do not believe either of your attachments include a required quarantine for arriving International travelers as stated in the thread title.  
 

Or did I miss it?  This would be a major problem for Canadians.

Edited by jagoffee
Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, jagoffee said:

IOr did I miss it?  This would be a major problem for Canadians.

Why?

 Canadians should not be flying to the USA  right now

If people fly into Canada they have to quarantine for 14 days   so why would  other Countries not require the same

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/2019-novel-coronavirus-infection/latest-travel-health-advice.html

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, howiefrommd said:

50 U.S.C. 1601-1651 codified into Federal Law on September 14, 1976 gives the President of the United States "Emergency Powers (EP)" (under the National Emergencies Act) which is specifically being referenced and used in this case.  Since its enactment the POTUS has enacted this act 30 times.   If you do a Lexis/Nexis search you will find it clearly articulated that the Federal Districts, Appeals and Supreme Courts have deferred to 50 U.S.C 1601-1651 that POTUS has such powers.  Only an act of Congress can overturn a EP declaration. If you are thinking of being a party to such action, you should discuss this at length with Attorneys with experience with the EP Act.  

Thanks, I stand corrected.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Purely ancedotal, would need to see some actual statistics, but both my b-I-l in AZ and neighbors, that winter in FL, say there is no noticeable difference in the number of Canadian snowbirds this winter compared to the past. Those borders were obviously not closed very tight.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, LHT28 said:

Why?

 Canadians should not be flying to the USA  right now

If people fly into Canada they have to quarantine for 14 days   so why would  other Countries not require the same

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/2019-novel-coronavirus-infection/latest-travel-health-advice.html

Why?  I was referencing the title of this thread.  If all International travelers (including Canadians) were required to Quarantine when landing in any US city independent of a negative test result, it would be a challenge for them.  
 

 The thread title states that “ Quarantine Now Required for All Arriving In the US After International Travel, Beginning January 26, 2021”.This is an incorrect statement of the facts.  It is correct that a negative test is required and perhaps people from selected countries cannot enter, but certainly not all our required to quarantine in the US.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Since Biden is now banning all citizens of UK, Ireland, and 26 European country from entry into the US a quarantine requirement is moot.

 

With this move, there will be no travel to Europe this spring and summer vacation season so there will be no Europe cruises. When the US bans people from certain countries those place reciprocate and ban Americans. It's a political game of tit for tat.

Link to post
Share on other sites

EU also proposing travel restrictions due to the emerging variants and vaccine delays.

 

from AP news:

 

BRUSSELS (AP) — The European Union’s executive body proposed Monday that the bloc’s 27 nations impose more travel restrictions to counter the worrying spread of new coronavirus variants but make sure to keep goods and workers moving across EU borders.

 

https://apnews.com/article/travel-pandemics-europe-didier-reynders-coronavirus-pandemic-f90a9e2762d1d71cc6323ab985bcc1ab

Edited by RJ2002
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, susiesan said:

Since Biden is now banning all citizens of UK, Ireland, and 26 European country from entry into the US a quarantine requirement is moot.

 

With this move, there will be no travel to Europe this spring and summer vacation season so there will be no Europe cruises. When the US bans people from certain countries those place reciprocate and ban Americans. It's a political game of tit for tat.

No, it’s just trying to save lives. 🙏

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, susiesan said:

Since Biden is now banning all citizens of UK, Ireland, and 26 European country from entry into the US a quarantine requirement is moot.

 

With this move, there will be no travel to Europe this spring and summer vacation season so there will be no Europe cruises. When the US bans people from certain countries those place reciprocate and ban Americans. It's a political game of tit for tat.

Nope. It's not political. It's a friggin' medical crisis. You continue to amaze me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/24/2021 at 4:20 PM, Aloha 1 said:

I do not believe the President has the authority to order such a move. w

Actually the Federal Government executive branch does have the authority since it involves travel at the borders (in and out of the country).  The federal government clearly has the power to put such restrictions in place.  Inside of a state no, but at the national borders yes.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Purely ancedotal, would need to see some actual statistics, but both my b-I-l in AZ and neighbors, that winter in FL, say there is no noticeable difference in the number of Canadian snowbirds this winter compared to the past. Those borders were obviously not closed very tight.

There has to be a massive decrease. I’ll have to search for stats but it was being reported only 30% of the normal amount we’re going down. Some did go but had to jump through hoops unless they didn’t need their car.  You couldn’t cross the border in your vehicle. BC is full of snowbirds from the prairies this year. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Staying home is safe.  Traveling is on hold until safe.  Requiring testing to return to USA on a plane protects everyone. It will probable be extended to cruise passengers disembarking in the USA too.  It seems like a hassle, but it may stop further spreading of the virus.  I have a booking for a summer Med cruise.  Contacted O and asked about testing at disembarkation.  Got a quick response that they are aware and are working on it.  The world needs to be vaccinated.  It can be done. Vaccinations have eradicated other diseases. It can happen.  It will take time and patience.  Got my first shot. Will get next one soon. Hope you get yours too.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Redtravel said:

Staying home is safe.  Traveling is on hold until safe.  Requiring testing to return to USA on a plane protects everyone. It will probable be extended to cruise passengers disembarking in the USA too.  It seems like a hassle, but it may stop further spreading of the virus.  I have a booking for a summer Med cruise.  Contacted O and asked about testing at disembarkation.  Got a quick response that they are aware and are working on it.  The world needs to be vaccinated.  It can be done. Vaccinations have eradicated other diseases. It can happen.  It will take time and patience.  Got my first shot. Will get next one soon. Hope you get yours too.  

Perfectly and succinctly said. How about a PS of - stop being a brat!

Link to post
Share on other sites

 Vacations should be relaxing.  The whole idea is to alleviate stress and enjoy. I want travel to be safe.  With this proposal to quarantine after returning from international travel is in force, it will likely be the end to my summer Med cruise.  I got vaccinated.  I was somewhat confused as to where I could get a covid test for returning to the USA.  Have not figured that out yet. If that wasn’t enough, adding additional quarantine time when I get home will be a deal breaker.  If I were exposed before being vaccinated, testing and quarantine would be ok.  However,  with all the added travel restrictions, it might be better to cancel now.  I certainly hope that vaccines will be administered to people traveling by air and sea.  I had thought that I would wait until final payment was due to decide to go.  Now I am stressed by the whole travel situation.  Should I hold the booking or not?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/25/2021 at 11:29 AM, pinotlover said:

Purely ancedotal, would need to see some actual statistics, but both my b-I-l in AZ and neighbors, that winter in FL, say there is no noticeable difference in the number of Canadian snowbirds this winter compared to the past. Those borders were obviously not closed very tight.

The land border was/is tough to get across as a tourist/snowbird.

Flights continued to operate from several cities, most notably Toronto, Montreal, Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver. That might get trickier soon.

 

For people absolutely desperate to get a car across, there were (are?) car dealerships in S. Ontario doing a nice business shipping your car to Buffalo, NY, where you could pick it up. No idea if there wree similar arrangements out west.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with Barbara Muckermann, CMO Silversea Cruises
      • ICYM Our Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Explore the Remote World with Hurtigruten!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...