Jump to content

Next Announcement of Cancellations?


PasadenaDave
 Share

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, cmaasfamily said:

As of this morning (15 Feb) April and May are gone and June and July appear to be signifcantly scaled back. Haven't seen an announcement yet. 

I noticed the same about April and May sailing. 

 

Also an upcoming reservation I have is currently showing "locked" on website.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Porcupine 52 said:

what has been scaled back?

 

Spot checked a few things. For example only two sailings of Homelands in June where there had been four, I believe. Same with some Med cruises. Alll based on my recollection; I'm sure others have more details.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, cmaasfamily said:

Spot checked a few things. For example only two sailings of Homelands in June where there had been four, I believe. Same with some Med cruises. Alll based on my recollection; I'm sure others have more details.

Both of those missing Homelands sailings were on the Viking Sun.  That's the ship that will be reflagged to China for that market and is now en-route to Singapore.  Looks like all Sun sailings have been scratched.  If the itineraries are not cancelled, they may be looking to substitute a different ship.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, cmaasfamily said:

Spot checked a few things. For example only two sailings of Homelands in June where there had been four, I believe. Same with some Med cruises. Alll based on my recollection; I'm sure others have more details.

We are on the Homelands cruise on 26 June. It is still showing. If it is eventually cancelled, personally, I’d be happy to get on a VO ship and sail around in the middle of the Atlantic for two weeks. We were on the TA last March when the Sky turned around mid-Atlantic and headed back to the US.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, cmaasfamily said:

As of this morning (15 Feb) April and May are gone and June and July appear to be signifcantly scaled back. Haven't seen an announcement yet. 

agree -- I know I checked the schedule (for other reasons but I check it periodically) this weekend and things were scheduled starting in March.  Today (to see when Sun is no longer scheduled - answer -- it's off the schedule totally), I noticed -- like you -- that March and April are no longer on the schedule.  FYI -- I maintain a spreadsheet that tracks Viking's 3 yr cruise schedule, which I share on DropBox.  As I update and post it -- I announce it here (which I'll be doing soon!)
https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2651194-viking-ocean-combined-cruise-schedule/

 

Edited by CharTrav
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Homerody said:

I am glad to find a likeminded traveler who uses spreadsheets and Gantt charts!  😀

Gantt charts? I didn't do so deliberately. Maybe I did it without thinking, having had various job titles that always ended with "systems engineer" for over 35 yrs! Must be embedded in me. 

Edited by CharTrav
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

All cruises aboard the Sun are "dead" as the ship is on its way to China to be part of a Chinese fleet.

 

Seems as though it could be replaced for that cruise. Isn't Orion available?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We have a cruise that is scheduled for the Mediterranean starting in Barcelona on April 27th and ending in Venice.  Most of the ports are in Italy.   I signed on to the site and our whole trip is missing.  I chatted with one of their people and she said they were updating their system and information should be back on shortly.  My idea is they have not put out the official statement yet but that our trip is being cancelled.  So just waiting on the official word so we can cancel our flights before we are penalized with the frequent flyer miles.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, CharTrav said:

Gantt charts? I didn't do so deliberately. Maybe I did it without thinking, having had various job titles that always ended with "systems engineer" for over 35 yrs! Must be embedded in me. 

Likewise CharTrav!   Did many years as Systems Engineer (and other things as well).  Not surprised given you stellar organizational efforts.  Thank you for all your work!

Now let's just hope at some point there won't be so many updates (of cancellations) 🙂

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

Likewise CharTrav!   Did many years as Systems Engineer (and other things as well).  Not surprised given you stellar organizational efforts.  Thank you for all your work!

Now let's just hope at some point there won't be so many updates (of cancellations) 🙂

 

At least I've developed a system for updating things.😉

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Cruzingmlt said:

We have a cruise that is scheduled for the Mediterranean starting in Barcelona on April 27th and ending in Venice.  Most of the ports are in Italy.   I signed on to the site and our whole trip is missing.  I chatted with one of their people and she said they were updating their system and information should be back on shortly.  My idea is they have not put out the official statement yet but that our trip is being cancelled.  So just waiting on the official word so we can cancel our flights before we are penalized with the frequent flyer miles.  

 

Based on previous cancellations, I expect you will receive notification tomorrow, or Thursday.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

The latest cancellation notice is now posted to the Viking website - cancelled to 31st May. No updated film from the Chairman on Viking TV, yet.

I immediately called and rebooked for the same cruise in 2022.  Prices have increased, but even so, the 125% credit pays for most of the new booking's Viking Air cost, which we had opted out of for this year.  I can't fault Viking for their customer service either, as the representative did the booking even though I was ahead of getting the actual credit voucher.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

drip drip drip... getting closer to my August date.

 

Here is a question.  Has any really spent the 125% credit?  Yes I get it that you have been given that credit and they have kept your money... and you got an upgrade for some thing on a future cruse..but has any one spent one single dime of it... or the money you have given Viking?

 

I started thinking about Ponzi schemes.  Not saying that is what is going on but since the shutdown  no one can spend that 125% that I can figure out.  Could the new reservations coming in be  paying off the people  that don't do the 125%?  At what point will the people getting paid off be higher than the people that are making new reservations?   I totally feel sorry for the cruise industry.  They may have to write this year off also.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Porcupine 52 said:

  I totally feel sorry for the cruise industry.  They may have to write this year off also.

If I had bookings on the ships that advertised low prices and mega-sized ships, I'd be asking for refunds vice credits, regardless of any incentives.  But I'm not terribly worried about Viking.  

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

1 hour ago, austinetc said:

I immediately called and rebooked for the same cruise in 2022.  Prices have increased, but even so, the 125% credit pays for most of the new booking's Viking Air cost, which we had opted out of for this year.  I can't fault Viking for their customer service either, as the representative did the booking even though I was ahead of getting the actual credit voucher.  

 

 

This is so encouraging to hear and reinforces the faith many of us have in Viking to be the best cruise line to be exposed to at the moment. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Viking seems to be doing a good job of balancing the money going out the door (operating costs, refunds) with money coming in the door through new bookings, and retained funds via the 125% FCC.  But, 25% interest is a huge nut to overcome, even if you have a good expectation of converting this back to revenue. Other lines are following similar practices, and tapping the credit markets for loans.

 

The transfer of Viking Sun to the Chinese venture is a blow, but it should give Viking a lot of breathing room.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

The latest cancellation notice is now posted to the Viking website - cancelled to 31st May. No updated film from the Chairman on Viking TV, yet.

 

Despite what is stated on the Viking website latest statement, not all passengers affected by the latest cancellations have been informed - I haven't! Yes I was expecting my May cruise to be cancelled (it was locked on MVJ) and have been checking Viking website, email and Cruise Critic all day anticipating an announcement. As it happens it was Andy's post on here that finally gave me the information I have been waiting for. By the time the announcement was posted the UK office was shut - just my luck. I have to say I am very disappointed by the poor communication from Viking.

 

I was also hoping for some reference to Canadian cruises later in the year, we are booked on Eastern Seaboard Explorer in September, as Canada have banned all cruises until February 2022 something needs to happen!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Cienfuegos said:

Viking seems to be doing a good job of balancing the money going out the door (operating costs, refunds) with money coming in the door through new bookings, and retained funds via the 125% FCC.  But, 25% interest is a huge nut to overcome, even if you have a good expectation of converting this back to revenue. Other lines are following similar practices, and tapping the credit markets for loans.

 

The transfer of Viking Sun to the Chinese venture is a blow, but it should give Viking a lot of breathing room.

One way to think about it is Viking is paying you 25% (future payment) for keeping your money.  That is going into loan shark territory when a good loan is going for 4 1/2 % today.  I think the key for viking and other cruise lines is getting back sailing.  Is it possible the shut down to go through 2022....Not impossible I think

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Cienfuegos said:

The transfer of Viking Sun to the Chinese venture is a blow, but it should give Viking a lot of breathing room.

 

We are also disappointed with the Sun departing the fleet, as we spent an exceptional 3+ months on here last year. She is also crewed by many of the Officers we got to know very well. However, once the ship is reflagged to China, they will return to the Viking ships.

 

While they probably won't realise significant capital from the sale of the ship to the JV, it should remove the financing costs from Viking's books. China coastal cruises may be able to commence quickly, so the JV may be able to contribute some profits back to Viking, to help reduce the cash drain during cessation of operations.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...